PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Hell

BigWords
06-09-2009, 02:33 PM
What do you hate to see the most in games?

The more annoying and the more common the problem the better. I'm most interested in your opinions on FPS cliches, glitches and problems, but other genres are also welcome to join in here (RTS makes me very tetchy though, be warned)...

My list:
Exploding wooden barrels. What the hell are people storing in them?
An entire level devoted to crawling around inside vent shafts!!! Did the company run out of money? :rant:
Invisible walls keeping you just out of reach of a vital reload (Judge Dredd Vs. Death, please stand up).
A linear pathway through the game killing replayability.
Enemies who are designed so that they can't be killed. Even when you put on 'God Mode' and use every last bit of ammo.

SPMiller
06-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Crates.

whistlelock
06-09-2009, 06:31 PM
silent protagonists.

pointless gimmicks (I'm looking at you Force Unleashed, Force Lightning on a Lightsaber, really?!?)

SPMiller
06-09-2009, 06:57 PM
whistlelock hates HL2.

So does BigWords.

So should I, what with all the crates in it.

BigWords
06-09-2009, 08:40 PM
I like HL2's editor, but as for the game itself...

Sarpedon
06-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Jumping puzzles.

Sociopathic protagonists who are supposed to be badasses.

minor utility type things that become way more dominant than they should (Bethesda software and its constant need to repair equipment, I'm looking at you)

Illogical penalties for success: (Now that you've conquered more territory, you earn less money from trade, as there are fewer foreign territories to trade with, and you can't earn revenue from internal trade for some reason...TOTAL WAR)

Enemies who are given super powers to compensate for the stupidity of their AI.

"Destiny" being used as an excuse to constrain character choice.

Dumb inconsistencies; like cloned soldiers who are controlled by a telepath and are completely inert without him, but yet still feel the need to talk loudly to each other.

tarcanus
06-12-2009, 09:23 PM
The things I dislike in games don't really have anything to do with the kind of crates that are around or the ridiculous characters. My biggest gripe has always been with inconsistency.

- This means games with stupidly difficult puzzles, but push-over bosses or vice versa.

- To go along with easy bosses, I hate that what makes them easy is not that they have low HP or whatnot, but because they have an attack pattern that is so repetitious it makes me want to gouge my eyes out. This especially irks me with bosses that are supposed to be intelligent.

Most of the rest of my gripes are things I would personally like.

- I would like to see less linearity in dungeon design, as in hiding things that would be nice to have throughout the dungeon and eventually giving you the necessary paths and items you need to get to them, but not making a 'preferred path' through the dungeon where if you're smart you can grab everything in one go. I like replayability in dungeons and areas - especially if they're beautifully rendered and realized areas. I would love if I could just stumble back through dungeons and find new things I missed the previous time.

SPMiller
06-12-2009, 10:58 PM
- I would like to see less linearity in dungeon design, as in hiding things that would be nice to have throughout the dungeon and eventually giving you the necessary paths and items you need to get to them, but not making a 'preferred path' through the dungeon where if you're smart you can grab everything in one go. I like replayability in dungeons and areas - especially if they're beautifully rendered and realized areas. I would love if I could just stumble back through dungeons and find new things I missed the previous time.You need nethack. Start with a dwarf valk. They're easy to ascend. Then you can work your way up to tougher characters.

Matt Willard
06-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Stupid protagonists in JRPGs. They are Too Dumb To Live at points. When I play these games you can often hear me pretending I'm the main hero and cursing appropriately.

Zoombie
06-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Things I'm sick of?

The Good/Evil dichotomy being horribly executed in video games WITH NO MIDDLE GROUND AT ALL RAWRRAWR!

Games that have done the Good/Evil thing well are Fallout 1 and 3 and Planscape Torment.

Torment really understood the way to do evil. You could either be the normal, easily written "chaotic evil", wherein you kill people and be just an asshole. But you could also be the much more evil "lawful evil" where you don't just randomly kill and lie...you also manipulate. You manipulate and lie and be really EVIL.

I mean, name ANY other game where you can manipulate a girl into falling in love with you so that you can use her more effectively as a tool.

Now that's evil!

BigWords
06-14-2009, 11:02 PM
The Good/Evil dichotomy being horribly executed in video games WITH NO MIDDLE GROUND AT ALL RAWRRAWR!

Fable: kicking the chickens, beating up random citizens and making life hard on the guards. You still get a heroic glow if you follow the "heroic" thread. That was the funniest implementation of the good / evil system ever. I thought the game was broken at first until I saw that everyone else was having the same issue.

Deus Ex 2: Invisible War still makes my head hurt trying to figure out what is considered 'evil', but at least it wasn't as badly designed.

New addition to the list - downloadable 'fixes' which delete all save games. [Kingpin, which I ought to have known better than play again]

10er
06-15-2009, 12:38 AM
I mean, name ANY other game where you can manipulate a girl into falling in love with you so that you can use her more effectively as a tool.

Now that's evil!

Bloodlines, KOTOR2 (incidentally by the same writer as Torment).
I agree though: Torment rules supreme on the game writing pantheon.

Things I am sick of: juvenile or outright laughable romance subplots. Either do them properly or leave them the hell out of your game. The most recent and big budget (and worst) example being Dragon Age. Check this out (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/10/rps-at-e3-dragon-age-origins/#more-12708). The horror...

Our hero – one of the Grey Wardens, the group to which players will belong in an effort to fight back against the Blight, and the evil Arch Demon bringing it about – has a present for a lady, Morrigan. It’s a magical book that she has been looking for. She’s going to be very pleased to receive it. Once it’s dragged from our inventory to hers, she responds with some of the most excruciatingly dreadful flirtation I’ve ever seen. The acting is very weak, my face screwed up as I wrote the word “AWFUL” on my pad in the dark. She’s dressed as you might imagine a girl would appear on the cover of a 1980s D&D book, wearing what appear to be a couple of straps of material, most of her breasts hanging out. We can respond to her elephantine attempts at flirting by suggesting we’re open to her ideas. Once we’ve ambiguously agreed to her advances a couple of times, it cuts to a glimpse of an awkward sex scene that saw everyone in the room burst out laughing. Possibly not the desired reaction.

Then:

This all took place in a camp – something you can create at any time while wandering the game’s open spaces, a place to recoup, get some sleep, and chat with your companions. And indeed fuck them all, apparently. Because as we emerged from our night with Morrigan, we went over to chat with the slightly more modestly dressed redhead Leliana, who it turns out is apparently our girlfriend. Leliana’s voice makes Morrigan’s seem Shakespearian. The delivery is so deeply weird, stunted and childish. Unsurprisingly she’s upset at our bedroom antics, and protests. But not with any vigour or passion, but rather damply complains that it’s not particularly nice of us to go sleeping with other women right in front of her. Acknowledging that she can’t necessarily stop us from sleeping around, she meekly asks that we either stick just with her, or have the grace to break up with her as we continue our conquests. We choose to tell her that we love her really. She immediately capitulates and welcomes us back into her arms, before you’ve washed the smell of the last woman off you. So romantic! Here my notepad reads, “Pathetic.”

SharkGelli
06-15-2009, 01:17 AM
Games in which you have to keep an AI-partner alive. There are few things more satisfying than playing a game perfectly, and seeing the AI run out and attempt to kill things with their bare fists, only to be absolutely slaughtered.

Final Fantasy Tactics's Rafa immediately comes to mind.

Cutscenes that you can't skip are kinda ridiculous too.

BigWords
06-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Games in which you have to keep an AI-partner alive. There are few things more satisfying than playing a game perfectly, and seeing the AI run out and attempt to kill things with their bare fists, only to be absolutely slaughtered.

Max Payne 2. Mona bloody Sachs. I popped her in the head with the handgun after she screwed up for the third time.

10er
06-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Max Payne 2. Mona bloody Sachs. I popped her in the head with the handgun after she screwed up for the third time.

Ico. Well the girl didn't really have an AI, which made things worse. I raged so much at that game.

Zoombie
06-15-2009, 07:22 AM
best romantic subplot is still in Torment.

But, then again, I go ga ga for girls with tails...and redheads...and scottish accents...

<goes all dreamy eyed>

Elidibus
06-15-2009, 02:01 PM

Final Fantasy Tactics's Rafa immediately comes to mind.

Cutscenes that you can't skip are kinda ridiculous too.

Final Fantasy Tactics spoilers!

Rafa was such a broken fight. As if you didn't have a hard time with the already broken Velius, you entered the only way a battle could get harder. By having it end before you even got a turn!

I'm sick and tired of all these FPS games where we're all bad ass space marines with unshaven chins, a chest the size of a buick and guns so big you'd think the MC was compensating for something. Then on the other end, we have the overly sexual females that are so freakin' annoying it makes me want to punch them in the face and tell them to put more clothes on!

Where are the Joanna Darks in FPS games? (No, the remake for Xbox 360 doesn't deserve the Perfect Dark name) Where are the super expansive levels ala Turok and Turok 2? What about Turok's creative weaponry. Or a decent spy game like Goldeneye?

I'm getting fed up with "Generic FPS shooter with too much blood and enemies that don't even flinch when shot" Can't we do better than this? Why do I need to be a space marine fighting aliens in super advanced power armor? Can't I be a nerd with a crowbar like in Half Life?

I honestly haven't found an FPS game that made me want to finish it since the days of Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Halflife. I almost finished the first Halo, but something was off with that game. I've played Deadspace. Resistance. All of those. I've been searching for an awesome experience and I just haven't found it.

And while I'm on my soapbox. What the crap is up with women in games? No wonder some of the guys I hang out with think women are objects. Becuase that's what they are in most games. Something to have sex with, see thier riduclously portioned chest and rear-end and dismiss at one's earlies convenience.

Now don't get me wrong. I enjoy seeing scantily clad women as much as the next guy. But can't we have some substance? And not a woman thrown in for the sex appeal? You know. Something like plots.

Oh wait. Not much of those in FPS games now'a days...

/end rant

Sarpedon
06-17-2009, 05:08 PM
I think the good/evil Karma system in fallout 3 to be one of the larger flaws in the game. The 'evil' choices seemed arbitrary and pointless. for example, blowing up the town. You get basically the same reward for blowing it up as you do saving it, blowing it up is probably more difficult as you have to travel all that way to tenpenny tower at a presumably low level, and you've basically sacrificed a bunch of merchants for nothing. And then there's the superhero quest, where if you want the special melee weapon, you do the evil quest, and if you want the special energy weapon, you do the good quest. That seems pointless and arbitrary as well.

scottishpunk
06-26-2009, 11:50 PM

Indeed. I totally agree.

Also, lousy camera can really kill a game. Some games are nearly unplayable because the camera angles are so bad.

C.bronco
06-26-2009, 11:59 PM
I hate it when I accidentally switch the control button set-up, or someone else does and doesn't tell me.

BigWords
06-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Also, lousy camera can really kill a game. Some games are nearly unplayable because the camera angles are so bad.

Catwoman. I spent the better part of a day playing through - and replaying - the jewelry heist opening because the camera kept auto-switching. Amazingly the poor camera angles wasn't the worst thing about that game.

GeorgeK
06-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Installation limits.
I have no objection to having to have the original disk. I understand that pirates do exist. However, computers crash. Computers get upgraded. Files get corrupted. For them to claim it's piracy protection that makes me unable to reinstall the game that I bought; it's them stealing from me. Either refund my money or let me reinstall. (Joymania's Knights and Merchants)

While I'm at it I'll add, not listing proper system requirements. It was very aggravating to get to the end of the first Prince of Persia only to find that the last gondola was broken and wouldn't swing, so I could never reach it. I called the company. They had no way to patch it and told me to buy a computer with more recent upgrades as in not on the market when the game was released. I never even considered buying any of their subsequent releases.

dclary
06-27-2009, 02:40 AM

LIFE?
;)

SPMiller
06-27-2009, 03:30 AM
Life's not a game, though.

I mean, name ANY other game [...];)

SharkGelli
06-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Rockman X7.

Actually most 3D platformers. I hate Daxter right now because the camera won't pan up like I expect it to when I jump up.

Unsavory
06-27-2009, 01:36 PM
This is a bit of a diversion, but nothing kills a game for me like a sequel that does the exact same thing. The Prince of Persia series for example never really evolved. It just packed more of the same into the original formula three or four more times. Now rather than a single unique game you just have a lame, faceless sub-genre.

The only sequels that work are those that actually change up the formula in a significant way. Final Fantasy games have always drastically altered the battle system with each new game. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but at least each game stands on its own merits and is a unique entity. Mario games work the same way most of the time. Sunshine may have sucked, but that's largely because it felt like an updated version of Super Mario 64. And it least it had a water gun...

But Pokemon, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill... these aren't games anymore. They're yearly or semi-yearly upgrades with no more individuality than any two consecutive Madden titles.

Remember when Katamari Damacy was awesome and unique? Two sequels later and it's irrelevent.

Fran
06-27-2009, 02:20 PM
When they drastically change the control system.

I used to kick ass at Tomb Raider games; I was flippin' and shootin' and turnin' in mid-air doing somersaults. Now I can't work it. At all. I know this probably makes ME a dunce, but it feels like a console control system strapped onto a PC and the result is I'd need at least three hands to be able to do it. Maybe boys can stretch their hands the full length of a keyboard, but I can't. Smaller hands! I know they had to update it somehow. But it makes me sad.

BigWords
06-27-2009, 02:28 PM
GTA? Mentioned in the same breath as Pokemon...

The mini-games (ten pin bowling, pool, darts), the now-abandoned weight / muscle fluctuation system, the addidtion of helicopters and motorcycles from Vice City onwards, the brilliant radio stations...

Some of the overused jokes may have worn a tad threadbare, but it is still a game-world which has surprises in store in each and every incarnation.

*builds sacrificial pyre for Pokemon games*

Zoombie
06-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Oh god yes, on the whole "sequels should do something new" thing.

I get a LOT of flack for a lot of things I say in the hardcore Fallout fan base.

See, the hardcore Fallout fans...they're the crotchetyist, most incredibly stick in the mud, change is bad, new things all suck type of people you'll EVER meet.

Anything made after the early 1990s, except for Fallout, sucks.

And every Fallout game aside from Fallout 1 and 2 sucks. Fallout 3 sucks and Fallout Tactics sucks.

Now, I get a ton of flack from them for liking Fallout Tactics and from really liking Fallout 3.

But I get the MOST flack for saying this: Fallout 2 sucks.

Fallout 2 really sucks. Its literally NOTHING but Fallout 1 with a bigger and less finished world, and more random crap that isn't tightly written or engaging. It is not Fallout 2. It is Fallout: The Expansion Pack that Walks Like a Sequel.

So, yeah, Fallout 2 is one of my least favorite games out there, cause it took the great Fallout game and didn't deliver what a sequel should: New and exciting game play that improves over the original...

Say, that sounds like...what FALLOUT 3 DID!

Fallout 3 had its problems, but it was a far better sequel than Fallout ...

Fokker Aeroplanbau
06-27-2009, 09:15 PM
I hate to see videogames have their main character look more like a girl then a guy even when he's supposed to be a guy - yes FF I'm looking at you, but there's a few titles out there that makes those awkward girl/guy characters. I'm also tired of seeing the same old characters who try to be all 'deep' and 'thought provoking' by uttering meaningless statements that no one really pays attention to (for good reason).

That last character who I thought had any sort of interesting, well, anything was Vivi from Final Fanasty IX. BioShock had some very enjoyable philosophical allusions and Fallout 3 played the 50s forced happiness very well but recently there's been not many characters recently that one even cares about - the gaming world seems to be focusing more on world building, which is cool, but I'd like a fleshed out character who doesn't always rely on a mish-mash of overly sentimental statements to seem like the writers care a little bit.

Unsavory
06-27-2009, 11:36 PM
GTA? Mentioned in the same breath as Pokemon...

The mini-games (ten pin bowling, pool, darts), the now-abandoned weight / muscle fluctuation system, the addidtion of helicopters and motorcycles from Vice City onwards, the brilliant radio stations...

Some of the overused jokes may have worn a tad threadbare, but it is still a game-world which has surprises in store in each and every incarnation.

*builds sacrificial pyre for Pokemon games*

I understand your point. GTA games are high quality, high productions and I'd be lying to see that I haven't gotten some entertainment out of each and every one. My issue is that even though GTA games have done some new things with each iteration, I personally don't feel that it's enough to feel like a brand new experience.

But seriously, to each his own. I think this is my seventh post and if I get into a silly debate already that's not exactly a great initial impression. ;)

Zoombie
06-28-2009, 03:54 AM
This is more for the increasingly rare 4X games, but...

Shitty. Diplomatic. AI.

Interacting with foreign governments should NOT feel like playing darts with schizophrenic toddlers. Diplomacy has yet to feel real, consistent and immersive in ANY 4X game I've ever played.

Intergalactic diplomacy and political intrigue is really interesting, and I'd love to see more 4X games take advantage of that...making moves in the diplomatic boardroom should be JUST as vital and important and EXCITING as movements of battlefleets and the bombardment of planets.

BigWords
06-28-2009, 04:23 AM
Interacting with foreign governments should NOT feel like playing darts with schizophrenic toddlers.

That's exactly what Gordon Brown keeps on telling himself.

Prit
06-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Games that make you level up/replay levels endlessly.

That surprise final boss that hasn't been mentioned for the whole game that you have to beat after you beat the evil guy that you've hated for the whole game.

All the characters being teenagers/kids.

Bad minigames.

Long distances between save points (though you don't see this as often anymore).

Characters who repeat the same repetitive phrase every time they punch someone.

Games that are based on movies that the designers obviously haven't put any effort into because it will sell eleventy-million copies anyway.

"You need to find the red keycard to open the door. Good, now find the blue keycard to open another door. Good, now you need the rainbow colored keycard ..." I don't care about finding freaking keycards.

The women! If they aren't scantily clad fighters, then they are prissy princesses.

Zoombie
06-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Oh! Oh! Oh!

4X games that manage to take the majesty and scale of space and the epic feeling of a galactic empire...and distill it down into spread sheets.

Um...kay.

I've yet to find a video game that truly knocks my socks off...like...with the truly MASSIVE scale of space.

<grumbles>

SharkGelli
06-28-2009, 10:23 AM
This is a bit of a diversion, but nothing kills a game for me like a sequel that does the exact same thing. The Prince of Persia series for example never really evolved. It just packed more of the same into the original formula three or four more times. Now rather than a single unique game you just have a lame, faceless sub-genre.
OI OI! The Prince of Persia series never evolved? I mean recently it hasn't evolved, but it's sure stepped up from the 2D platforming one-hour-time-limited crappy controlling tedious game that it used to be.

...Sorry. I just hate the old games too much to let them slide away easily. >.>''

But it's true, the past few have been just reiterations of the same theme. Even Mozart stopped playing the alphabet song eventually.

Zoombie
06-28-2009, 10:39 AM
...you hated the old Prince of Persia games?

SharkGelli
06-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Er... well... yes. I hated them. ^ ^''

Unsavory
06-28-2009, 11:21 AM
OI OI! The Prince of Persia series never evolved? I mean recently it hasn't evolved, but it's sure stepped up from the 2D platforming one-hour-time-limited crappy controlling tedious game that it used to be.

...Sorry. I just hate the old games too much to let them slide away easily. >.>''

But it's true, the past few have been just reiterations of the same theme. Even Mozart stopped playing the alphabet song eventually.

I misspoke. The Sands of Time was the first game I was referring to, though I am fully aware of the older games in the series. The Sands of Time was awesome and revolutionary, but the later games in the series only watered down the formula.

Izunya
07-04-2009, 07:11 AM
An NPC who constantly tells me stuff that I already know. The mission control characters in Persona 3 and 4 are some of the worst examples of this. Yes I already know there are two enemies left because I am playing this game on a television which is a visual medium which means I can see the frelling battle, Rise, my God, shut up.

Ahem. I mean to say, the mission control in the Persona games could use some work, IMO.

Izunya

Zoombie
07-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Bridge Commander.

You are, for the first time, the Captain of a starship in the Federation. YOU are the CAPTAIN.

So WHY is the FIRST OFFICER telling you WHAT TO DO!?!?!?!?!!

ARRRGHGGG!

cethklein
07-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Pointless puzzles: Puzzles are great, but when you're playing an action title or RPG that had little or no puzzle elements in it, and then there's one dropped in front of you for no reason that is all but impossible to decipher, it gets dumb.

Escort missions: Ugggh, seriously, these would be fine if the thing you're escorting had good AI. So far I've never seen this done and you spend most of the time driving the person or thing like cattle.

cookie-utter levels: There was a level in the first Halo called Library where the whole level was a repeat of a few rooms over and over. How lazy. It's also prevalent in the elder Scrolls series. In Arena and Daggerfall it was acceptable but even the newer ones, all the dungeons use the same rooms over and over, just copy pasted in a different order. When ever big open cave room looks alike, it gets old, fast.

Cliche plot elements: Seriously, the whole amnesiac, silent protagonist gimmick got old years ago. As did the "I was a good cop, but things went sour. Now I'm on the run" gimmick.

cliche villains: Another crime RPGs commit often. Seriously, the angst-ridden lunatics gimmick isn't cool or interesting. I'm sorry, This may get me shot, but Sephiroth was the blandest villain since the Dragon Lord. Come on, give them some personality!

Dumb minigames: This ranks up there with pointless puzzles. If I'm playing an RPG, I don't want to get stuck having to play some ridiculously hard luck based minigame to progress (I'm looking at you, Arc the Lad: TOTS) minigames are fine but dumb hard ones that have nothing to do with the game can ruin a title.

Options and nowhere to use them: I hate when a game, again mainly RPGs, offer a boat-load of options but then the actually game is short and you never get to use most of them, like weapons and armor you'll never use. (see: Star Ocean 2). Fable was another example. You get all these cool weapons right near then end but have no place to use most of them. Or Castlevania SOTN. "Here are a ton of items you have to grind to find, but the boss can be killed in five seconds with one sword.

BigWords
07-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Just for the sake of fairness, I've got to point out that creating an entirely new framework for each level of a large (i.e. tall) building would take an enormous amount of patience. I've re-used basic rooms many, many times, especially in complex engines, though I try to put a bit of effort into creating a unique feel for each company (if it is office space being cloned) or giving flats a bit of personality.

Having said that, I have been so pissed off when I get my mitts on a preview copy of a game and find it has so many environments which are clearly not thought through. The worst offenders are the smaller companies, and I can understand the time/work issue which fully rendered realistic locations bring up.

If you ever get the chance to see a game studio when it is three weeks from handing over a new release then you'll understand a bit of the rationale behind reusing certain aspects of the graphics. As a gamer I get annoyed, but as someone who has worked on games I know the reason they do it.

darkprincealain
07-14-2009, 09:36 PM

First thought: Phantasy Star Online's Mome, I'm looking at you. Partner AI was reasonable up until that guy. He's a maroon.

Now that's evil!

Persona came close to doing this one. You could choose which girl, even. You didn't really use her as tool, so much as her relationship level indicated which final Persona you were able to fuse.

The only sequels that work are those that actually change up the formula in a significant way. Final Fantasy games have always drastically altered the battle system with each new game. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but at least each game stands on its own merits and is a unique entity.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm glad they did this with Chrono Cross, too. I quite liked that battle system, although it was much altered from Chrono Trigger.

Bad minigames.

Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine, I'm looking at you here.

An NPC who constantly tells me stuff that I already know. The mission control characters in Persona 3 and 4 are some of the worst examples of this. Yes I already know there are two enemies left because I am playing this game on a television which is a visual medium which means I can see the frelling battle, Rise, my God, shut up.

Ahem. I mean to say, the mission control in the Persona games could use some work, IMO.

Izunya

Let me second that. I love the Persona series. Seems so unique to the RPG genre that you're dependent upon your Persona for so much of the time, but despite the unique stuff they've added in the recent games, they could use to tone it down on the stuff that they can do and think more about what they should do. Although it's fun when mission control tells you "Its weakness is ice! Use bufu!" for the first time. The fiftieth time gets old. And I'm so sick of hearing "Is there a Me Patra gem for Aigis?" that I could kill.

Which leads me to: any voiceover work you hear repeated over-and-over-and-over again, ad nauseum, just leaves me feeling cold.

scottishpunk
07-17-2009, 04:12 PM
I second everyone who'se said bad minigames. I played Viva Pinata Party Animals recently, hoping for a mindless yet enjoyable Mario-Party style experience. No such luck. This game was so dull it barely held the attention of my 10-year-old sister. Imagine, a whole game of nothing but terribly conceived, terribly executed, extremely repetitive minigames.

I returned it to Gamestop and got my money back.

Zoombie
07-17-2009, 04:47 PM
If you are going to give a character something to drive, like say...a All Terrain Vehicle with a cannon and machine gun and little jetpacks on the bottom, make it move LIKE A TANK and not like an aluminum ball with wheels attached.

Seriously! Why is the Mako so goddamn bouncy in Mass Effect!? It has more buoyancy than most modern cars, and yet we're supposed to buy that its a hyper advanced ATV with guns and stuff?

I mean, I could understand if it was bouncy on low gravity planets, but most places you land are fairly close to Earth norms...sooo...yeah...

BigWords
07-18-2009, 12:30 AM
There's the other end of the scale as well, with driving simulators that are more complex than driving in real life. It is especially annoying when the speedo in the top right of the screen says that you are doing eighty when it doesn't feel like more than fifty...

DragonHeart
08-01-2009, 01:51 AM
This is more of an RPG thing but...the WTF staircase. The one that's basically endless and appears to serve no point other than to irritate the hell out of you. Pretty much every RPG I've played has at least one of these. FFVII is a particularly great example because even your party members complain as they're ascending the staircase.

And...bats. Yes, bats. Swarming, draining and generally just being really effing annoying. I am so over bats, especially when they're encountered on the WTF staircases.

S.C. Denton
08-02-2009, 11:01 PM
AI's always been my big complaint. They're never intuitive to your course of action. Mostly I'm speaking of FPS games. It annoys me to no end to have a squad which insists on standing while I'm prone, trying to take out enemies silently, from a distance.

Shoeless
08-02-2009, 11:47 PM
AI is hard to do. Very hard. And game developers aren't devoting resources to it just yet. At least, not in the same way they are to developing graphic engines.

BigWords
08-03-2009, 12:47 AM
A few years back there was an attempt to get various developers to share common scripts, such as cats and dogs walking back and forth, and it was mostly simple actions that were being talked about. It takes up a lot of time redoing something that is already out there, and by sharing the small stuff it was hoped to turn games around quicker and cheaper. It didn't come to anything, but it would have advanced AI by years.

Most of the big devs are looking at multiplayer as the big sell for gamers, even though (traditionally) the single player experience is the part that draws in the crowds.

Romantic Heretic
08-05-2009, 12:52 AM
I always laugh at the term AI. How can we fake something when we don't know what it is.

I don't play a lot of games but I'm currently a bit annoyed at Spore because the control mechanism isn't quite consistent between the various levels.