PDA

View Full Version : Delusions

C.bronco
06-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Do you have delusions of grandeur, or, more importantly, do you truly believe they can happen?

C.bronco
06-09-2009, 07:44 AM
As for myself, my delusions keep me going. :)

Appalachian Writer
06-09-2009, 07:52 AM
I've been deluded (although I really don't think of it in that term) that I will one day win the Pulitzer. Don't laugh. It could happen.

C.bronco
06-09-2009, 07:53 AM
I've practiced Pultizer speeches while on long drives...

Matera the Mad
06-09-2009, 08:12 AM
I know I'm going to be the next What's-her-name. :D

bettielee
06-09-2009, 11:32 AM
hmmm... delusions or dreams? In reality, I think dying poor and unknown is the most likely to happen... but the AW reality show would be hella fun! I would probably be cast as the quirky girl who gets voted off first, unless they keep me around for ratings.

aadams73
06-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Sign me up for the AW reality show(even though I don't watch those things). I'll wind up being in the final few standing, my ultimate fate decided in a jello mud wrestling competition with scarletpeaches.

Wayne K
06-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Sign me up for the AW reality show(even though I don't watch those things). I'll wind up being in the final few standing,my ultimate fate decided in a jello mud wrestling competition with scarletpeaches.

We have a winner.

Wayne K
06-09-2009, 03:38 PM
I don't think it's delusional to think you'll win awards. I've already worked a few jokes into my pulitzer speech. My nobel prize winning speech is a little blander, as they ae a stiff crowd.

Ken
06-09-2009, 03:41 PM
... got no real delusions. Just realistic goals: publication of a novel, before my 137th birthday.

vrabinec
06-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Excellent poll. I've dropped the "I will have movie options" delusion I carried around when I first started writing. But I still cling to the "Published is imminent" one. Though, I have to reach the "I will actually finish a novel" delusion before I attain that one.

NeuroFizz
06-09-2009, 06:19 PM
... got no real delusions. Just realistic goals: publication of a novel, before my 137th birthday.
I'm with Ken (and I have faith he won't have to live to be 137), but to add that I have both proximal (reachable) goals and larger goals that may or may not be reachable. Since the latter have a chance, I don't consider them to be delusions, but then again, that may make me delusional.

An example of a larger goal is to get to 100 scientific publications. That's quite a milestone for any scientist in my area, and requires a long career of steady productivity (some scientists end up with 200 or 300 pubs, but they ususally have the big "churn out the students and postdocs" type of labs). Is this delusion? I'm at about 70 right now and I have a good ten years left in me, so I think I can do it (I'm averaging about three pubs a year as I have throughout my career).

In writing--anything I accomplish is frosting to my success in my day job, although my goal is to constantly improve, to chase that slippery thing called excellence in writing. This is probably my clear delusion since there will always be room to improve. And if that is so, excellence will always be in the distance, hence either an illusion or a delusion.

Button
06-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Mine has to be specific: I will publish something that I can actually show off to people without blushing (as much as I do now)!

wannawrite
06-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Do I have delusions? Um...yeah? Oh. Of grandeur? Not so much. I'm too buys marveling that someone who doesn't know how to spell, can't tell an adverb from an adjective, and always screws up her POV STILL thinks she has it in her to be a writer.

Oh.

I guess that is, in and of itself, a delusion of grandeur, huh?

Okay. Then count me in.

Leukman
06-09-2009, 06:44 PM
I'll wind up being in the final few standing, my ultimate fate decided in a jello mud wrestling competition with scarletpeaches.

We have a winner.

Indeed.

Can I change my vote?

BenPanced
06-09-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm going to die an unknown, but 25 years after my death they'll discover my genius AND BOY WON'T THEY BE SORRY THEY IGNORED ME WHEN I WAS ALIVE.

spamwarrior
06-09-2009, 07:20 PM
I think I'm deluded to think that my blog will become world famous and make me go on Oprah.

ahhh...

But I liek choklit mielk.

Button
06-09-2009, 07:51 PM
An example of a larger goal is to get to 100 scientific publications. That's quite a milestone for any scientist in my area, and requires a long career of steady productivity (some scientists end up with 200 or 300 pubs, but they ususally have the big "churn out the students and postdocs" type of labs). Is this delusion? I'm at about 70 right now and I have a good ten years left in me, so I think I can do it (I'm averaging about three pubs a year as I have throughout my career).

I'm jealous! I don't have a scientific background, but I pick up science books and journals on occasion and I can't imagine the work that goes into compeleting one.

benbradley
06-09-2009, 08:35 PM
If I write religious or philosophical writings, can I vote publication is immanent?

At the rate my novel writing is going, I'm bound to win a Grammy.

JoNightshade
06-09-2009, 08:35 PM
I cling to "Publication is Imminent!" I've seen it happen to so many other people here on AW, and I KNOW I don't suck. I figure if I just keep plugging along and don't give up, it's just a matter of time.

My delusion of grandeur is that I will one day be interviewed on the Charlie Rose Show, which is just silly because I don't even write the kind of stuff he interviews people for. Ah well.

spamwarrior
06-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I want to be on Oprah for the sole reason that I don't like her.

Death Wizard
06-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Movie options, no doubt. Six $300-million blockbusters -- with AWers as the cast.

BenPanced
06-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Movie options, no doubt. Six $300-million blockbusters -- with AWers as the cast.
I'm writing the fanfic as we speak...

vrabinec
06-09-2009, 09:30 PM
You know, on a serious note, it drives me absolutely batshit when I read people trying to beat the dreams out of an aspiring author. It doesn't actually happen all that often, and I haven't seen it on this site. But I remember reading some comments on Miss Snark's blog by "the Snarklings" that just sent me through the roof. It seemed like there were three or four people on there so pissed off about something (I'm assuming it was over their own failure to publish) that just seemed like they were trying to draw blood and get other aspiring authors to quit.

Button
06-10-2009, 12:26 AM
You know, on a serious note, it drives me absolutely batshit when I read people trying to beat the dreams out of an aspiring author. It doesn't actually happen all that often, and I haven't seen it on this site. But I remember reading some comments on Miss Snark's blog by "the Snarklings" that just sent me through the roof. It seemed like there were three or four people on there so pissed off about something (I'm assuming it was over their own failure to publish) that just seemed like they were trying to draw blood and get other aspiring authors to quit.

I never read the comments, but I know whatyou mean. It's one thing to offer assistance and helpful criticism. It's another thing to dash the hopes of the want-to-be-published.

I don't know why that is. I don't know if it's a competition thing. I usually nag at people to finish. Hurry up and write the books so I can buy them and read them, will ya?

The world is filled with all types, I guess.

robeiae
06-10-2009, 12:50 AM
Do you have delusions of grandeur...?
No. I'm quite sure they are not delusions, at all.

BigWords
06-10-2009, 01:33 AM
All writers are crazed and delusional to some extent.

Me? I'm kidding myself that doing everything except writing at the moment is somehow preparing my brain for a jolt of inspiration. I've gone through my e-mails, answered dozens of threads here, changed my avatar, tidied the house, cleaned up around the garden and changed the screen saver on my laptop. Have I written a single line of fiction? No.

It'll come... Just waiting on the muse.

Death Wizard
06-10-2009, 04:59 AM
I'm writing the fanfic as we speak...

Just for that, you get to be M.C. and win best actor!

Seaclusion
06-10-2009, 05:15 AM
I have hallucinations. Does that count?

Richard

Death Wizard
06-10-2009, 05:54 AM
Depends on their length.

backslashbaby
06-10-2009, 06:16 AM
:D

Seriously, though, I almost believe people can do anything that they put their mind to. I can't believe it completely since I now have a chronic pain thingy - I will not climb Mt. Everest; get over it ;)

When I was little I read about the Rhodes Scholarships in the Encyclopedia and told my mom & dad that I planned on getting me one. I didn't, of course, and got sidetracked :D

Flash-forward to this year, though, and I do have me a shiny, fancy Oxford diploma. Always say 'Why not?', I figure. You never know till you try.

tjwriter
06-10-2009, 06:17 AM
I have this delusion that I'm a thread killer.

Wait, wait. That's reality.

Death Wizard
06-10-2009, 06:30 AM
Slap!

See, you're over it. :)

C.bronco
06-10-2009, 06:41 AM
If it were easy, everyone would do it.

BenPanced
06-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Why do I suddenly have the song The Ballad of Lucy Jordan stuck in my head?

truelyana
06-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Delusion is a lot like being a mouse and falling into a trap. Knowing your going to fall into a trap, because you have set yourself up for it. It is rather a choice and a state of mind. On the other hand it is a path to realisation, of what you can do. If you experience it, you come out of it a wiser person. All experiences are necessary, but the ultimate is to be the dream.

BigWords
06-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Why do I suddenly have the song The Ballad of Lucy Jordan stuck in my head?

I've got The Gonk rattling around my skull. It fills the quiet moments.

C.bronco
06-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Close your eyes. Be the ball.

Death Wizard
06-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Close your eyes. Be the ball.

Resist ..... making ..... immature ..... joke.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-11-2009, 07:22 AM
I chose 'I will have film options'... but I'd prefer Gerard Butler or Russell Crowe, kthnxbai!