PDA

View Full Version : Most users ever online ... that was today

Plot Device
06-09-2009, 05:59 AM
I just noticed it.

What's Going On?
Currently Active Users (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/online.php): 353 (157 members and 196 guests)
Most users ever online was 562, Today at 04:52 PM

Any special reason? (Just curious, in a geeky sort of way.)

CACTUSWENDY
06-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Those are newer figures....I remember several years ago it was a day with tons more than that.

....................oh for the good old days......

Medievalist
06-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Err.

Yes. Wait and see what happens after the shut-down tonight; it might change.

C.bronco
06-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Because AW is the best!

Hugs for all!

Fokker Aeroplanbau
06-14-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't know if the figures are right, or wrong, restarted or not. Yet I've noticed an upsurge in online discussion activity, I really have - most of the forums I frequent have had close, if not surpassed, their previous marks that have stood for several years.

I hope AW can get in on this upsurge and attract new followers like myself.

MacAllister
06-14-2009, 10:33 PM
The rather massive number from a couple of years ago was actually due to some faulty settings. :) It wasn't accurate at all.

andrewmoquin
06-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Maybe because there are lots of new registered member here. That's why AW is flooding. :)

Newguy1428
06-17-2009, 07:30 AM
There's an up tick in the amount of people posting about starting newspaper comic strips at other forums. They have probably showed up here, also. Newspaper syndicates have something like a 0.001 acceptance rate for comic strips. Been there. Done that.

A few years ago, there was also an issue with spy bots at one of the forums I frequented. They had hundreds of thousands of visitors per day. All to talk about figurative oil painting?

Let's not forget that there are a lot of people looking for work and I bet that leads them to unrealized dreams. Welcome. I am just about to realize a dream of mine. I have some writing projects that have become golden. Wish me luck. I hope you find yours, also.

benbradley
06-17-2009, 08:33 AM
I just noticed it.

Any special reason? (Just curious, in a geeky sort of way.)
We geeks are all alike! (currently reading "Born On A Blue Day (http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Born+On+A+Blue+Day&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=AHA4SuWGAcaFtgeDnqjYDA&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#)," link to TV interview with the author)

Those are newer figures....I remember several years ago it was a day with tons more than that.

....................oh for the good old days......
When was it, a year or two ago, Jenna started that big long thread welcoming our 20,000th member. I think the thread's in the history section, it was a hoot.

But things have since been cleared out, sometime since there were only 15,000 members, and now it's up to 17,885 and our newest member is Sam Grover. So yeah, any numbers from a couple years ago have apparently been reset by The Database Cleanup Crew.

:welcome:, Sam!

(Sam's gonna Google his name in a few months and be embarrassed...:))

Vincent
06-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Before the cleanups I had 35,500 posts.

Medievalist
06-17-2009, 07:38 PM
When was it, a year or two ago, Jenna started that big long thread welcoming our 20,000th member. I think the thread's in the history section, it was a hoot.

That included anyone/any spammer who had ever registered. It was never accurate.

dclary
06-18-2009, 02:39 AM
The rather massive number from a couple of years ago was actually due to some faulty settings. :) It wasn't accurate at all.

Who you calling a faulty setting?! :rant:

amyconnor
06-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Unemployment is up, so may be folks are just killing time.

Droemar
12-27-2010, 01:11 AM
Considering so many forums die after their first year, this place has nothing short of an astonishing numbers of members. ACTIVE ones.

Manuel Royal
12-28-2010, 01:07 AM
Unemployment is up, so may be folks are just killing time.A year and a half later, this still applies.

Though I hope I'm not just killing time. Whenever I'm here, I think of it as research, communication with colleagues, or general intellectual broadening. Yeah, that's it.

jaksen
12-28-2010, 04:45 AM
People are on vacation and a major blizzard just hit the east cost of the US.

Add to that: since 1 in 10 people (my own statistics made up from my own experience) know they are a writer and could pen a best-seller in no time and wow, what a great backup plan to supplement the income! Just write a book! Come on, how hard can it be, really?

Then that explains why so many people are here today.

benbradley
12-28-2010, 05:17 AM
"It's the economy, stupid!"

Gee, you could probably base a successful Presidential campaign on that.

stormie
12-28-2010, 05:30 AM
Considering so many forums die after their first year, this place has nothing short of an astonishing numbers of members. ACTIVE ones.
And AW cooler actually began way back in 2001. I remember three forums--screenwriters, fiction, and non-fiction with a few threads in each.

Though I hope I'm not just killing time. Whenever I'm here, I think of it as research, communication with colleagues, or general intellectual broadening. Yeah, that's it.
Exactly. :D

People are on vacation and a major blizzard just hit the east cost of the US.
Nah, I was outside most of the day, shoveling snow that was up to my waist. (Though I am under 5 ft. tall....) They couldn't find me for awhile.

CassandraW
12-27-2015, 03:53 AM
gaah! a zombie thread.

(pssst, roswell1828...last post in this thread was 5 years ago.)