Anyone in the Army Reserves? How old is TOO old? And what about college?

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I wrote a section of my novel recently. And now I fear it's based on faulty information.

Basically, I need to know about the "age of cut off" where the Army can't call you back into service anymore. Did it change? If it did change, when was that?

I was told that the age of cut-off was 35. So my MC is narrating (this is set in the future), and he's in his mid-40's, and when he was younger he was in the Army Reserves. And he is explaining that 35 was the cut-off. So when the Iraq War started back in 2003, he was already 35 and he had to wait for his 36th birthday before he'd be in the clear and no longer be eligible to get called. But is that notion about the age of 35 incorrect? Or was it correct back then and no longer correct today? Or would it be correct today but was not correct back then? (I am so confused!)

On other matters ...

I was also told that as long as you were enrolled in college, you could not get called. But then I was told that was also incorrect, and that it is a rule that has changed over the years. This presents another problem for my MC because he enrolled in an acredited program during he summer of 2003 just to avoid getting called before his 36th birthday.

So have I totally screwed up my story and I now need to fix it in a major way?

Last edited:

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score

Sounds like you need to go have a chat with the local recruiter.

They seem like nice people. At least the Army guys. Navy - different story.
(personal experience)

Tell them up front what you're doing and respect they may not have time for you but see if there is a better time. Should be able to get the info you need.

Rabe...

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
Things change, but this is what it was like when I served in the Air Force. Basic military obligations are the same for all branches.

In theory, enlisted personnel have an 8-year military obligation, no matter if you are active duty or reserve, and no matter your age at the time you enlist. If you wait until age 40 to enlist, you will not complete your military obligation until age 48.

However, once you are designated career status...meaning you reenlist or extend enlistment, or even retire after 20 years of service...you are placed on reserve status and can be recalled up to age 60.

Reserve recall elegibility has all sorts of twists and turns, depending on your job skills, your age, marital status, physical status, time in service, etc. Most importantly, it depends on the needs of the service at the time. If they need you, and they can not fill that need in any other way, you will be called.

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
In Canada it's illegal to discriminate based on age so the "old" issue isn't really that much of a factor for military service. What is a factor is your health and fitness.

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
Why not try calling the Army's PR people?

I wrote a section of my novel recently. And now I fear it's based on faulty information.

Basically, I need to know about the "age of cut off" where the Army can't call you back into service anymore. Did it change? If it did change, when was that?

I was told that the age of cut-off was 35. So my MC is narrating (this is set in the future), and he's in his mid-40's, and when he was younger he was in the Army Reserves. And he is explaining that 35 was the cut-off. So when the Iraq War started back in 2003, he was already 35 and he had to wait for his 36th birthday before he'd be in the clear and no longer be eligible to get called. But is that notion about the age of 35 incorrect? Or was it correct back then and no longer correct today? Or would it be correct today but was not correct back then? (I am so confused!)

On other matters ...

I was also told that as long as you were enrolled in college, you could not get called. But then I was told that was also incorrect, and that it is a rule that has changed over the years. This presents another problem for my MC because he enrolled in an acredited program during he summer of 2003 just to avoid getting called before his 36th birthday.