PDA

View Full Version : Answers from Editors

popmuze
06-09-2009, 02:23 AM
I've heard it's more and more the case these days that "no answer" is the most common answer from an agent to a writer.

Is it the same with editors now to agents? Are most editors in this downsized down economy just not bothering to reject books?

dawinsor
06-09-2009, 02:26 AM
Not in my experience. The editors my agent deals with all talk to her.

popmuze
06-09-2009, 03:23 AM
I was afraid of that.

ChaosTitan
06-10-2009, 12:12 AM
I've heard stories that some editors require pokes/nudges from the agent, because their workload has gotten bigger, their desk has gotten buried, or the submission has been misplaced. You rarely hear of an editor not responding to an agent submission as a method of rejection. More often, they've simply forgotten about it or gotten swamped, and a nudge gets them back on track.

scope
06-10-2009, 04:00 AM
I've heard stories that some editors require pokes/nudges from the agent, because their workload has gotten bigger, their desk has gotten buried, or the submission has been misplaced. You rarely hear of an editor not responding to an agent submission as a method of rejection. More often, they've simply forgotten about it or gotten swamped, and a nudge gets them back on track.

Yup.
I've found that the overwhelming majority of editors/agents don't go out of their way to make things difficult for writer's. Most understand our plight. Problem they have is fundamental to the business today. Too many things to do and not enough time or personnel to do them with. So yes, some editors/agents do require a nudge. They know it, so there's no reason we should feel that we're imposing -- as long as our timing is right.

Catadmin
06-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Not all editors require a nudge. Some of them are just plain lazy or don't care.

Of course, from the stories I've heard, these types of editors usually get weeded out after a couple of years. But if you hit one of them while they're still working, you can spend a lot of time banging your head against a wall.

This is ancedotal experience, BTW, not personal. But it has happened to some authors I know.

ChaosTitan
06-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Not all editors require a nudge. Some of them are just plain lazy or don't care.

Possibly. But editors who request an agented submission are doing so because they want to read it. I have a hard time believing an editor is going to listen to a pitch, request to read the manuscript, and then shrug their shoulders and ignore it out of apathy.

You're right thought, there are bad eggs in every industry, and they are the ones you don't want to work with anyway.

popmuze
06-12-2009, 06:59 PM
My agent's response to nudging (around here we call it "noodging") is to say, "I'm not going to beg for a rejection." Sometimes, he says, the long wait for an answer is just an editor waiting for the right time to pitch a longshot novel. Which, in this economy, could be a loooooonnnnng time.