Status
Not open for further replies.

bertiebeans

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Hiya!

First time posting on Absolute Write and I thought I'd share an embarassing little tale that happened to me today.

We all hear about authors who do some really dumb stuff when querying agents, right? The kind of things that make us sit back in our seats, arms behind our heads, feeling smug that no matter how bad things get at least we're not as stupid as that dumb f**k?

I'm that dumb f**k.

Word to the wise, when sending a group email, make sure no agents share the same name as one of your mates. Then make sure you don't send said agent an email about your sister's hendo. And definitly don't suggest that this agent should come dressed in fishnets and hotpants.

*sigh*

What makes it worse, is that - despite my telling them not to - the hens keep "replying all" to the email with really rude comments about being drunk and knickerless, CCing this agent in.

I've now had to send her a very groveling and apologetic email. I suspect my rejection letter is winding its way in the post as we speak.

Anyway, I've told you my super-embarassing query tale, tell me yours! Can anyone top this?

Reaction score
Oh god. Was it wrong of me to laugh?

And hey...you might get a book out of it, right?

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I've made some blunders, but I can't say that I can top that one!
Who wants an agent with no sense of humor? If "said agent" rejects you because of that, then "said agent" needs to shut down the laptop and live a little!

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You never know, it might make you stand out from the crowd ;)

But ditto on the advice about separate email addresses. It also help avoid losing writing related mail amongst the business of general life email.

bertiebeans

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
The agent got back to me today saying not to worry about it and that she was tempted to come along to the hendo as it sounds a riot ;p Awesome. I like the cut of her jib.

Don't feel so bad about it all now...

And it's perfectly OK to laugh, I was in hysterics yesterday (well, through the tears). I need to idiot proof myself.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
That is hilarious. I'm relieved that agent saw the funny side. :tongue

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Seriously,

I feel your pain b/c it sounds like something I would do!! Glad to hear it worked out for you...even if it hadn't, it's one of those stories to tell your grandchildren...well, maybe not!!!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
And why was I not invited? Don't ever bother querying me, buster.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
LOL--agents realize that writers are people too and sometimes we make mistakes. Bad ones. PM Haggis and ask him about an email he sent me last week. *grin*

Sometimes very profitable things can happen from email boo-boos. Just sayin'.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
The agent got back to me today saying not to worry about it and that she was tempted to come along to the hendo as it sounds a riot ;p Awesome. I like the cut of her jib.

Don't feel so bad about it all now...

And it's perfectly OK to laugh, I was in hysterics yesterday (well, through the tears). I need to idiot proof myself.

The good news is: she's not gonna forget your name;)

Status
Not open for further replies.