PDA

View Full Version : copy/paste from word to final draft???

tomvolz
06-09-2009, 12:03 AM
I just purchased Final Draft. I copied a script from MS Word into it. The margins are fine, but the spacing between blocks is huge. Is there any cure for this? Or should I simply type the entire thing over in Final Draft (if nothing else, it'd be a good exercise to catch any mistakes along the way)?

Thanks,
Tom

dpaterso
06-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Have you tried saving from MS Word as RTF (Rich Text Format) and then importing this into FD instead? (In FD, select File > Open > change Files of type to Rtf Documents (*.rtf) and select the saved RTF file.)

-Derek

tomvolz
06-09-2009, 01:27 AM
I'll try that.

Thanks

ComicBent
06-09-2009, 08:33 AM
More information would be helpful.

Is your Word script based on styles, or did you manually "tab over" for all your paragraph margins in Word?

Did you do a "copy and paste" to transfer the text from Word to FinalDraft? Or did you save the Word file as text?

If you save as RTF, you might (don't know for sure) find that Word puts in page breaks, and these are going to put enormous amounts of space between some of your "blocks."

Sometimes the huge amounts of space between "blocks" are page breaks, which you can manually remove.

tomvolz
06-10-2009, 06:10 AM
I went the copy and paste route.

I had started totally re-entering it from scratch before my original post. I had just received my new software - I had to do something with it. I ended up finding several little things I wanted to change. So I'm going to continue on this route - I know it's probably a lot of unnecessary work, but it's forcing me to reassess every single word. I'm finally editing my own work the way I should have from the beginning. A little blessing in disguise.

ComicBent
06-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Tom,

Just in case you or anyone is interested, I did a little experimenting.

FinalDraft 8 imports RTF and text files very well. I saved a Word 2003 file (screenplay format) in RTF and text. I used styles for the paragraphs; I did not manually "tab over" to format in Word.

FD8 imported almost flawlessly, which was remarkable in the case of the text file, because it had no margins at all for the various paragraphs.