Amazon Warning

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Strange. Every time I go to the Amazon website this morning my Kaspersky Internet security software goes crazy and reports links to a password/credit card stealing site. It could be one of the secondary seller sites that advertise on the Amazon webpage, but I think I'll be careful about entering any passwords on the Amazon site for now. Kaspersky is usually very good about this sort of thing. I've never gotten this warning before while visiting Amazon.

Last edited:

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
I've should tell you that I've heard some bad things about Kaspersky. Some people can't even get online at all without warnings jumping up all over the place. :)

Of course, it could very well be a problem with Amazon. I'm not saying it isn't. And I'll definitely be careful. Just thought I should say. :)

Last edited:

vrabinec

Dipwad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vrabinec-fred.blogspot.com
Nothing wrong with going to the bookstore. They gotta stay in business, same as Amazon. And I find some (not all) books cheaper there, because you don't pay for shipping.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've should tell you that I've heard some bad things about Kaspersky. Some people can't even get online at all without warnings jumping up all over the place.
I've had different ones over the years, including Norton. So far I'll satisfied with Kaspersky. A lot of high-tech people I know, including those who get paid to remove malware, recommend it. It certainly isn't the CPU hog that Norton is.

But, of course, none of the security packages is perfect.

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com
I have a particularly super set of programs on my system that are good at detecting what you described. I spent the last 10 minutes bouncing around Amazon, no warnings, no alarm bells...it could be that they already A. got to the suspicious malware and problem or B. Your program is set too sensitive and picking up something as a false positive (which happens more often than people realize).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a particularly super set of programs on my system that are good at detecting what you described. I spent the last 10 minutes bouncing around Amazon, no warnings, no alarm bells...it could be that they already A. got to the suspicious malware and problem or B. Your program is set too sensitive and picking up something as a false positive (which happens more often than people realize).
This is the first time it's ever giving me a warning on the Amazon site. I can't test it now because I was on my home computer earlier and now I'm at the office. I'll assume Amazon took care of the problem.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I should tell you that I've heard some bad things about Kaspersky. Some people can't even get online at all without warnings jumping up all over the place. :)
I heard from someone earlier that Kaspersky sent a virus warning when she tried to follow an ad from AW to a Hallmark site.

Sounds like Kaspersky might be having issues with its product.

(Funny, I'd never heard of them before, and now the name has come up twice in less than five minutes.)

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of Kaspersky either, but AVG isn't giving me any warnings about Amazon - I just tried it.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Kaspersky is a well-known (to those who know) name in the business, and has no more issues than the rest.

It may be that something else in the computer is setting off the warnings. (Use a third-party trash cleaner to get rid of temp files and cookies, and some other form of malware scanner as a doublecheck). Or the settings -- if something has been done that labels xyz.com as bad, then something vaguely related to xyz.com may set off alarms.

All mere speculation, I don't use Kaspersky. I just have a nice quiet firewall that needs very little grooming but keeps my comper safe (from anything I don't ask for).

peg

Greeting Cardiologist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the one who reported the Kaspersky problem with the Hallmark ad.

My husband looked at it, and the address on the status bar showed that the ad was linked to doubleclick. He thought that was where the problem was.
Or, yes, it could have just been a problem with Kaspersky.

I reported it so that my friends on my forum who do not have protection wouldn't get in trouble, and thought that AW should check it out.

peg

Deleted member 42

I
I reported it so that my friends on my forum who do not have protection wouldn't get in trouble, and thought that AW should check it out.

peg

And you did the right thing; feel free to report / ask any mod, or just PM MacAllister or me (I'm the AW Webmaster). Mods will always let us know.

I'd always much rather have to spend the time/effort to check something out than have a user/member be negatively affected, as would all our fabulous mods.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, when I tried the Amazon website later in the day at home I didn't get any warnings. There was either something wrong with the Amazon site, or Kaspersky was giving a false warning. Better safe than sorry these days.