Ladies Night Out Ideas?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
In an attempt to get to know some of the other women in my church group (which I have still not accomplished after a year - although getting pregnant seems to have helped) I have volunteered to organize one of our Ladies Night's Out.

This means I have to think of something for us all to do of an evening. Past nights have included playing some party games, going out for coffee, a tea party, getting manicures/pedicures.

I would like to come up with something fun and original.

BUT please let it not be something I am going to look back on a month later and think "Oh man I can't believe I did that! I was such a dork!"

Which is frequently how these things end.

Which is why I am asking for ideas.

(And yes, I do in fact come to AW every time I need social advice. I am trying really hard to make female friends in the real world, but it's hard! :))

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are they any cool art studios or art schools near you that have hands-on workshops or give private lessons? There's a great glass studio here where you can make your own pieces. We had a baby shower for a friend there once. We blew our own glass Christmas ornaments and nightlights for the baby.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
A tasting of any kind could be good actually...

Do you have anything like a chocolate or ice cream factory near you? Or a cheese maker? My mum went out with some friends one day and learnt how to make mozarella - that could be fun.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Oh, great ideas, guys! I will look around and see if there are any studios/tasting opportunities. I think we might have some ceramics studios around here that have pre-made items you can glaze. Then the question is if they are open late enough. I think we have to start at like six.

Alcohol-based events are out - 80% of us are pregnant! (We're having a baby explosion.)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Invite me over.

I'm hilarious at girls' night out.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With a similar sort of group in the past we've done Poker Night (even though the ladies didn't seem like a particularly poker playing crowd. it was a lot of fun. You just need one person who knows how to play!). We've also done a couple of baking classes, and art sort of classes too, with one person teaching the others how to make a specific thing. It sounds kinda dorky but people come up to me all the time to ask when we're going to have another baking class :)

Oh yeah! Or making tied-fringe fleece blankets for like project linus or binky patrol something similar. It's fun and it's doing good as well. Also you don't have to know how to sew. You make the blankets then donate them to a place that will give them to sick kids or kids in crisis (like a women's shelter, or a police station, or something). Or if your church works with like specific places that serve kids, they can be given out there. The theory being that it's comforting to know that a stranger made you a warm fuzzy thing to cuddle with. The blankets are super easy, I do them a lot!

http://www.projectlinus.org/
http://www.binkypatrol.org/

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Chippendales :D

Just kidding. Spa trips are always good. I liked the Blooming Tea parties, and the ones where everyone brings their own teacups. The stories behind them are interesting.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I recently went to a wine and cheese pairing class with a bunch of women which sounds like *such* a snore but ended up being interesting and a lot of fun. There was a reception before and after class.

I'm trying to get some friends to go with me to see the Gotham Girls Roller Derby. But no one wants to go! I think it sounds fun. Oh well.

ETA: Oops, you said church ladies. Yeah, the roller derby might not be a good idea.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Okay, I've located a local place that does ceramics painting/glazing, and they are open late enough. That would probably be fun.

I am not sure how to go about locating things like tasting/cooking classes... Hm.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a Build-a-Bear anywhere near you, they do group parties, and it could also be fun. Especially if so many of you are pregnant, you could all make stuffed animals for the babies-to-be.

(of course, I could also just be the weird grown woman who absolutely loves Build-a-Bear)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure how to go about locating things like tasting/cooking classes... Hm.
Literally google it, typing in "cooking class" + "name of your city"

I just tried that for my city and I got scads.

Other possibilities include tours of businesses or other entities which are of general interest. Backstage at the theatre, inside the home-made candy factory (now there's a tasting!), like that. Basically, many of the places school children tour with their classes can be quite interesting to tour with adults.

Maryn, who toured a flour mill not long ago

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Any bead or craft shops near you? Some places have classes where you can make simple jewelry.

Or scrapbooking? That seems to be the in thing nowadays.