Not Afraid To Admit It...

OneWhoWaits

Registered
Reaction score
Okay...I guess my brain power peeked hours ago, and I as I have wondered through this site for nearly an hour I am pulling over and asking for directions. I'm so confused.:Huh:
I come from a small community in the middle of a state that has more antelope than it does humans...while that does not make me an idiot...it does give me an excuse to be illiterate of terms such as "threads" and "lmfao". Does someone have a map of this site...cause I am officially lost??

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

A thread is what you started.

lmfao = laughin' my (f-word of choice) ass off.

What are you looking for? I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

OneWhoWaits

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I am looking for "like-minded" individuals who can lead me in the right direction...not only while exploring this site...but in the literature industry as well.
I am a writer and illustrator of children's books...but, unfortunalty (or fortunatly, however you look st it) I am also a single mother, have a full time "real job", and just bought a 100 year old family home that needs tons of work...so I guess I am trying to educate myself on literary agents...I am lucky to have 15 minutes of time each day to commit to my writings...and would like to know if an agent would be helpful in my quest? Or if I should keep buying the Forever Stamps and submit a manuscript every week to publishing houses.
Wow...I apologize for my lengthy response...It seems I am feeling very typative this evening.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I am looking for "like-minded" individuals who can lead me in the right direction...not only while exploring this site...but in the literature industry as well.
I am a writer and illustrator of children's books...but, unfortunalty (or fortunatly, however you look st it) I am also a single mother, have a full time "real job", and just bought a 100 year old family home that needs tons of work...so I guess I am trying to educate myself on literary agents...I am lucky to have 15 minutes of time each day to commit to my writings...and would like to know if an agent would be helpful in my quest? Or if I should keep buying the Forever Stamps and submit a manuscript every week to publishing houses.
Wow...I apologize for my lengthy response...It seems I am feeling very typative this evening.

In that case --

There's a children's writing subforum here that can give some some pointers. Be aware that there aren't many agents who will handle PB (picture books) - if you find one who's willing check them out with something like Preditors and Editors or the Bewares and Background Checks section here.

Most of the time, you send a cover letter+the text of the story directly to the publisher you're interested in. Don't send artwork. If they're interested in the story, you can mention that you have artwork, but be prepared for them to want an established, professional artist with whom they're familiar. Whatever illustrations you have, put them into an on-line portfolio (ones like Photobucket are free, but you get what you pay for with them) so that if they are interested, you can give them a link.

Good luck.

:)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW.

It sounds like you might want a "forum buddy". There's a list of volunteers on a sticky thread at the top of this forum. Just click on "Newbie Forum" and look for a thread four or five posts down.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:!
Okay...I guess my brain power peeked hours ago, and I as I have wondered through this site for nearly an hour I am pulling over and asking for directions. I'm so confused.:Huh:
I come from a small community in the middle of a state that has more antelope than it does humans...while that does not make me an idiot...it does give me an excuse to be illiterate of terms such as "threads" and "lmfao". Does someone have a map of this site...cause I am officially lost??
Here's a thread with a bunch of definitions - some general Internet usage, some unique to the AW water cooler, and some are publishing terms. They're all hodge-podged together, though they are collected and alphabetized in this post:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1898706&postcount=43
You may want to read the whole thread starting with the first post if you're easily amused.
Thanks for all the great advice! I have a feeling this site will become quickly addictive!
You'll notice that most of us responding have four-digit post counts...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score