Anyone know where I heard this?

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I remember hearing at some stage the saying that if you save someones life you own it. I can't remember if it was a film or book or if it's something that comes from a heritage of some country or other. Any ideas?

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
The actual saying is if you save someone's life you are responsible for it. In other words, whatever they do from that point, good or bad, on is your responsibility. I believe it is either Buddist or Hindu. I once read an account of a child falling into a river from a small boat, and neither parent would lift a finger to save it, just wailed and moaned, because to save the child would have meant they were responsible for it forever.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure it didn't originate there, but this is a part of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, which opens with Morgan Freeman saving Kevin Costner's life, then following him back to England out of responsibility for that life.

Maryn, who still shudders at Costner's accent

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know where the original idea came from either, but it has been around for years, far longer than any recent book or movie.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen the idea of a life debt used in so many movies and books that I'm unsure who to owe its origin too.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
That's great, thanks. I didn't want to use it if it was lifted straight out of a book or movie.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes...it is an old Chinese proverb.

If you save someone from drowning you're responsible for them for the rest of their life.

Or something like that. It's been rewritten to suit the situation, but I believe drowning was originally part of it.