PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where I heard this?

Alitriona
06-07-2009, 06:58 PM
I remember hearing at some stage the saying that if you save someones life you own it. I can't remember if it was a film or book or if it's something that comes from a heritage of some country or other. Any ideas?

Kathie Freeman
06-07-2009, 07:19 PM
The actual saying is if you save someone's life you are responsible for it. In other words, whatever they do from that point, good or bad, on is your responsibility. I believe it is either Buddist or Hindu. I once read an account of a child falling into a river from a small boat, and neither parent would lift a finger to save it, just wailed and moaned, because to save the child would have meant they were responsible for it forever.

Maryn
06-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm sure it didn't originate there, but this is a part of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, which opens with Morgan Freeman saving Kevin Costner's life, then following him back to England out of responsibility for that life.

Maryn, who still shudders at Costner's accent

Alitriona
06-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks, at least that will stop my mind going around in circles. :-)

JamieB
06-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Harry Potter - life debt I think is what it's called in those books.

alleycat
06-08-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't know where the original idea came from either, but it has been around for years, far longer than any recent book or movie.

Cybernaught
06-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I've seen the idea of a life debt used in so many movies and books that I'm unsure who to owe its origin too.

WriteKnight
06-08-2009, 07:12 PM
When I think of the concept, I always think of it as an "Old Chinese Proverb" -I've got no particular attribution for it, but that's what I heard as a child.

Alitriona
06-10-2009, 05:14 AM
That's great, thanks. I didn't want to use it if it was lifted straight out of a book or movie.

KTC
06-10-2009, 05:33 AM
Yes...it is an old Chinese proverb.

If you save someone from drowning you're responsible for them for the rest of their life.

Or something like that. It's been rewritten to suit the situation, but I believe drowning was originally part of it.

pdr
06-10-2009, 10:32 AM
it also an Arabic belief as well as a Buddhist?