PDA

View Full Version : Does this seem like a good sign?

yellosharpie
06-07-2009, 02:28 AM
The agent who requested my full manuscript replied the day after I sent it saying she was excited and had already started digging in. That was five days ago and I haven't heard anything since. If she was going to reject it wouldn't she have known right in the first few chapters? Does this seem like a good sign? Just wondering if in anyone else's experience how long it takes an agent to either except or reject a full manuscript

Cyia
06-07-2009, 02:58 AM
Three months. If you haven't heard by then, then you can send a status query. Remember that the agent isn't just reading your requested material. There's her existing clients, plus any other requested material she's got waiting to read.

Robin Bayne
06-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Yes, seems good but I agree with Cyia on the 3 months. Start working on something new in the meantime!

Phaeal
06-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Time is relative. To the writer with material under consideration, every second is a year. To the agent or editor considering the material, every year is a second.

Get back to work. It's the best distraction in the end and the best cushion against any disappointments.

However, things sound like they're going well. CGs on what you've already accomplished, which is uncommon enough.

And, hey, look! I'm from Rhode Island, too! I guess the Quahog Fairy led me to this thread. ;)

ccv707
06-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Nope. Horrible sign. Get out of there...get out now! Run for your life!!!

Just messing. Good for you! It might take a few months, but there's definitely nothing bad about someone expressing interest in your work. But Phaeal is correct--don't let it distract you. Get back to work on something else. Now. This very instant.

yellosharpie
06-09-2009, 09:33 AM
three months wow...I've been losing weight waiting for a response! Well in three months maybe I'll get an offer and meet my weight loss goal...yea so I see how it is a distraction. I'll just concentrate on the WIP while querying for this one.

Phaeal Your really close to me it seems

ccv707 yea totally crushed my hopes with your first sentence...lol

blacbird
06-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Three months is, in fact, somewhat on the optimistic side. But it is a point at which it's sensible to inquire, if you haven't heard anything.

caw