PDA

View Full Version : How much have you got on your plate - well, your writing desk?

scarletpeaches
06-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Brace yourselves. A serious, non-Office Party thread from La Peche Rouge.

Have you ever heard that saying, "If you want something done, ask a busy man?" I believe it's a truism; certainly the more I do, the more I find I'm able to do. You need to do something, you find the time.

So with regard to writing - how much have you got on your plate? Not that I'm overloaded with stuff myself but I thought it would be interesting to see how we prioritise and organise our projects. How much we work on at a time.

When it comes to works-in-progress, I stick to one these days. It's the only way I finishes 'em. I'm 78,553 words into my current WIP and I have my previous, 148,501-word book on standby for editing when I'm done with that.

I've also got a novel to beta for another AW member (not tt42 before you ask!) and two synopses to write for someone who shall remain nameless. *cough*

So go on, put me to shame. Tell us all about what's on your writing desk.

Oh, and tt42 is exemptified from answering this thread, being as she is a robot ninja from the future with pens for fingers.

firedrake
06-06-2009, 11:51 PM
My brain will explode.

One novel querying
WIP (Russian one) temporarily on back burner, about 50k written
WIP (new one) idea struck me like proverbial thunderbolt and now it's moved into my head, so I'm writing it.
Ideas for follow-on from Russian novel also in head.

That should do for now, I think.

ChaosTitan
06-06-2009, 11:56 PM
I'll give it a shot.

Since the final version of TDTD is out of my hands, and it'll be a few months before I see my editorial letter for book two (at which point all other work stops), all of my Plate consists of spec work.

I'm working on final, hard-copy edits of a superhero novel, and then I'll have to type them all into the computer file. There will likely be one more agent edit after this, before we (*crosses fingers*) go on submission this summer. That will also require a revised synopsis, as well as a couple hundred words of other potential books in the series.

I have a new Urban Fantasy up to 60k words, that has stalled for the current editing project. I hope to get back to it next week, because I'm excited about the characters and want to see where they'll take me next.

Plus there's the promo stuff--keeping my blog updated and interesting, staying active on Facebook and Twitter, posting to two group blogs on a somewhat regular basis, prepping guest blog articles, planning future contests, etc...

It keeps me busy. :D

icerose
06-07-2009, 12:02 AM
I have two novels I'm querying/editing, I have a middle grade series to write with 1 finished and 6 more to go, I am working on a swashbuckler fantasy, I have 3 scripts to touch up. And story ideas piling up at the door.

RunawayScribe
06-07-2009, 12:16 AM
One WIP at about 29k.

One 75k novel being revised.

One idea for a future novel upon which I'm brooding.

One beta exchange, going chapter by chapter.

Sometimes I work on short stories on the side, but I don't have one going atm.

Mr Flibble
06-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Second book in series in revision, hoping to finish final read through tomorrow and send it back.
One novella almost finished first draft
Third book in series underway
Workshopping a novel ( should've sent the e-mail today really as I couldn't make it in person, but it'll probably be sent Monday)
Another novel I'm betaing
Oh, and some novel openings to go through for my writers' group next Saturday.

Add in the promo stuff I'm doing and it's tear your hair out time.

As for my actual desk - I probably have one somewhere, under all those bits of paper.

aadams73
06-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Two novel-length works-in-progress(see below). One is in second draft stage, and the other is in first.

One short story currently being buffed to a high sheen.

A second short story brewing in my head.

dolores haze
06-07-2009, 12:32 AM
Ugh! I've been needing to do this, but I've been avoiding it like the plague. Here goes:

1 novel being edited.
1 short story being edited.
1 novel waiting to be edited.

2 short stories out on sub.
2 short stories waiting to go out on sub.

2K written of Sci-Fi WIP #1.
5K written of Sci-Fi WIP #2.
2K rough draft of short story.

4 posts for my buddy's blog started, but not finished.

1 beta job to complete by end of June.

RoseColoredSkies
06-07-2009, 01:23 AM
Let's see:

One novel (YA historical- 62k) out with betas

One novel (MG urban fantasy) currently being written.

One novel (YA urban fantasy) slowly being outlined

One novel (women's fiction) on the back burner

One novle (historical) on the back burner

So yeah I'm handling it ok, when I actually get the mojo to write. I'm anxiously awaiting feedback from my betas. So I'm hoping I can finish most of my WIP before I get feedback from them.

Storm Dream
06-07-2009, 01:38 AM
Primary WIP, a supernatural adventure, is going to have its edits typed in over the next couple weeks. Gonna tighten up scenes, rewrite the intro, cut some stuff. Hoping to query by the end of summer.

Second WIP, urban fantasy, needs at least 35k rewritten, including the entire back end. Leaving that for when I'm feeling braver.

My first freelance work ever! I'm working on that now, will hand it in on Monday. Motorcycle stuff. :)
I also have the outline for a space opera trilogy sitting literally right in front of me. Came up with it last year; I pulled it out last night after watching Star Trek. Yeah, yeah, laugh, go ahead, but I was inspired.

Nautical fantasy/humor/historical adventure series that I don't know what to do with anymore, and is just going to sit until I finish #1 and the freelance work.

Also, the cable/internets bill, which I really should pay if I want to keep visiting AW.

BigWords
06-07-2009, 01:53 AM
I may be alone in this regard, but writing several novels at the same time (in completely different styles and genres) seems to keep me active. There isn't the feeling that I am getting bogged down in one character or setting, and if I get bored with an annoying chapter that refuses to play ball (it happens a lot) I just switch to another novel.

Then there are the numerous short stories I write to get me warmed up for the day. Those are quickies, maybe fifteen minutes or so to get an idea flattened onto the page and another ten to 'shape' them.

As I said, I'm probably alone in working this way. :)

Izz
06-07-2009, 02:08 AM
Hmmm...

Currently working on mainstream novel (probably YA, but i'm not so sure anymore) started three weeks ago, have 33.5K on that.
Still researching above novel as i write.
Have first-draft of spec fic novel gathering dust while i work on this one, to be edited after this current first draft is done.
Am outlining the novel (another spec fic) to start after i get both of these first drafts out to betas.
Have a semi-outline for the novel to write after that.

Have 12 shorts and poems (9/3) out on sub.
Have two more that are nearly ready to start on the magazine merry-go-round.
Am actively working on two more at the moment (first draft of one finished, the other one progressing along well enough).
Have one horrible first draft short to rewrite, but i'm allowing that one plenty of time so i can see past the way the first draft meanders to a horribly cheesy ending.
Have about 5 other started shorts with potential, but languishing, and (like every writer) more ideas than i know what to do with.

Oh yeah, and blogging daily.

triceretops
06-07-2009, 03:35 AM
Three books sold, so I'm juggling editing responsibilities between all of them. The first chapters of a book sent to my agent. And handling a new paranormal WIP, which is 6,500 words and on hold.

Tri

thethinker42
06-07-2009, 04:07 AM
Exempt from posting in this thread? Pfft. Whatever.

My platter de litrachur:

Querying 3 finished books
Editing 1 book
Outlining 1 new first draft, writing another
Working with WayneK on his memoir, possibly revamping a few things (we're still deciding which direction to go)
Will probably have edits from publishers (for Between Brothers and Playing With Fire) at some point, but haven't heard yet
3 other first drafts that are sort of stalled, but not abandoned
2 finished books that need rather substantial overhauls, probably to the tune of adding 20-30K to each
Nagging at scarletpeaches and Adzmodeus to finish THEIR WIP'sI think that's about it.

Crayonz
06-07-2009, 04:08 AM
Two mini-WIP's that have been eating away at my time. (And my brain.)
One full length novel that must be beta'd by the end of June.
One WIP (almost complete) novel that also must be beta'd by the end of June.

I really should concentrate on them who're waiting for me to beta their works. ^^; But eh, all in all, my writing desk isn't that full.

NeuroFizz
06-07-2009, 06:37 AM
One novel being shopped.
One novel about halfway through
One novel in the research stage (no writing yet--not until the WIP is finished)
Proposal being developed to turn published short story into full length novel
One poetry collection being put together

But, but, but...I have a day job that also requires a great deal of writing (scientific papers and grant proposals)
One research paper in press
One commentary paper (for peer reviewed journal) about to be submitted
Three research papers in preparation (data collected, figures prepared, in various stages of writing with co-authors)
One invited review paper in organizational stage
One grant proposal in writing stage
One grant proposal in organization stage
One grant proposal just recommended for funding
Two grant proposals submitted and in review

wannawrite
06-07-2009, 07:40 AM
One novel just signed with Lyrical

One full requested by a pub that I am putting a final shine to before kicking out the door. (actually, it is a three book romance trilogy, and I have high hopes of hooking a sell for all three books)

One novel concept that I pitched to an editor in passing. They expressed genuine interest. Said they wanted to look at it, and that the genre sold 'like hot cakes', so I opened my big mouth and told them that I would have it on their desk by the end of July. Haven't started that one, yet. Oops.

One novel that I just sent a blind query/submission on.

One novel that is going to be queried this week, finally. Spent WAY too much time working on the query and synop...but if it hits, it will be a biggie, at least for me.

My WIP that is about 5000 words from being finished. I work on it daily.

Thats all, for now.

Jersey Chick
06-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Okaaaay... here goes:

I have one ms out on submission (keep your fingers crossed my editor likes it. :D)

I just finished a first draft revision on an 85k ms.

I'm 66k words in on another first draft (an historical/paranormal romance. With vampires!) That one's on hold because I haz a stuk.

I'm 52k words into a first draft of an historical romance (one of the characters from Eden's Pass is getting his own story. I did about 2k on it tonight and am now calling it a night. :D

I think that's it. Jeez - no wonder I'm tired...

wannawrite
06-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Oh, yeah. And I have a YA fantasy romance floating around out there in the nether world. I submitted it months ago. Wonder what happened to it? Better check my records. Might be time to record that as a 'no go' and resubmit it, elsewhere....

Alpha Echo
06-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Hmmm...it seems we are all pretty busy, aren't we?

I am at the beginning of a WIP I abandoned...I had left it alone so long, I had to start at the beginning again, but I'm editing as I go. Total is more than 50k with only the ending left to go, but I'm about 10k into the editing.

I have a finished novel on the back burner that I think is really great but unfortunately received a lot of rejections. One day, I'll try querying again.

I also have a few chapters of a friend's WIP coming my way on Monday to read.

And a poem I'm still trying to finish.

And a bunch of ideas jotted down in a notebook.

Oh and one WIP I liked but abandoned. I forget why now. I'll have to go back to that at some point.

seun
06-07-2009, 04:42 PM
One book in progress (see below), one story being published next month, one short story being considered and one book being routinely rejected by every agent in the universe.

Also kicking about an idea for a black comedy/horror story. I'm aiming to have the first draft of my WIP done by the end of August.

GeorgieB
06-07-2009, 05:18 PM
I looked:

One 68K erotica ready for second/third edit.
One 72K on the back shelf, but ready for edit.
Two scripts, one with me as we travel -- in edit.
One WIP stuck at a thorny plot point, and pissing me off.

But, one piece (short story) just handed to the publisher for an anthology to be printed in September.

Another short article for a travel mag sent to their editor--to be published next issue.

The desk overfloweth. Someday I'll look in the really old stuff and make a decision or two.

scarletpeaches
06-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Blimey. You guys put me to shame.

At the same time, I know that no matter how much I have before me, it's always possible to make the time and get more done.

Ken
06-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Blimey. You guys put me to shame.

... and me too. Gosh o' mighty, do you people ever sleep?! :-O

I've got one WIP on the boards at present that is pretty much consuming all my time. Other than that I have my periodical freelance gig, and here and there I take on something small like a short story or cartoon. Would love to be able to juggle more but just can't.

thethinker42
06-07-2009, 05:45 PM
... and me too. Gosh o' mighty, do you people ever sleep?! :-O

I don't! LOL

Okay, in all seriousness...I'm a chronic insomniac, I have no day job, no children, very little if any social life, and live in a country where I don't speak the common language. My husband works long hours. I don't drive here. My social life consists of chatting with Scarletpeaches, Libbie, and Adzmodeus, all of whom kick my ass to write more.

If there's one thing I have, it's TIME, and lots of it.

So...I write. A lot.

SJAB
06-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Two novels out of the planning/outline stage and beginning to take form i.e. written. Target for first draft of the first one early autumn, second one hopefully by Christmas (second is research heavy)

First serious work since I nabbed an agent, so the pressure is on.

raburrell
06-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Editing down my first completed story by about a third (180k to 120k), and I'm forcing myself to focus on that instead of the new one I'd like to write, which is semi-plotted in my head, but less than 1k so far on paper.

Ken
06-07-2009, 06:18 PM
I don't! LOL

Okay, in all seriousness...I'm a chronic insomniac, I have no day job, no children, very little if any social life, and live in a country where I don't speak the common language. My husband works long hours. I don't drive here. My social life consists of chatting with Scarletpeaches, Libbie, and Adzmodeus, all of whom kick my ass to write more.

If there's one thing I have, it's TIME, and lots of it.

So...I write. A lot.

... sounds like the ideal arrangement for a writer ;-)

scarletpeaches
06-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Ken, she's just gone offline as The Recruit has started. I'm sure you'll understand that when it comes to writing, all bets are off if a Colin Farrell movie comes on telly. :D

Ken
06-07-2009, 06:25 PM
:-D
... well I guess we've all got our luring diversions.
Won't name mine ;-)

seun
06-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Ken, she's just gone offline as The Recruit has started. I'm sure you'll understand that when it comes to writing, all bets are off if a Colin Farrell movie comes on telly. :D

I watched In Bruges a couple of nights ago. Just saying.
;)

popmuze
06-07-2009, 07:11 PM
And I thought I was busy?

Actually, I'm mostly playing Spider Solitaire (which I now win 20% of the time at the highest level, wheeee!)

Why am I so not busy?

Well, after polishing off a new YA novel in April and May, which my agent immediately sent out, I now have three novels circulating with him (or, if not actually circulating, then sitting with the agent in some form of readiness to be circulated--I'm not sure which at the moment)

I also have two proposals sitting with my publisher for my next and the one after next non fiction books.

Which means, literally any day now, I could have five books deals on my plate (or none, as the case may be)

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out ways to promote my latest non fiction book due out in September that do not involve spending any money

So you can see why Spider Solitaire is my refuge.

willietheshakes
06-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Hmm, let's see what the month of June finds on the ol' desk:
-- finish revision on whopping new novel.
-- write new short story (commissioned)
-- edit and submit said story
-- 6 reviews (with attendant reading and consideration). Or is it 7?
-- build chapbook for Author Breakfast promo in July
-- write letter to booksellers for chapbook
-- write process essay for chapbook
-- write essay to accompany novella (~5K words)
-- edit and revisions on said novella
-- rough outline & plan new novel (start in July)

That's not so bad...

scarletpeaches
06-08-2009, 12:11 AM
I watched In Bruges a couple of nights ago. Just saying.
;)

I bought that DVD without having seen the movie first and loved it.

Everything Colin Farrell does makes me fall even more in love with him.

Libbie
06-08-2009, 12:18 AM
The image of a robot ninja from the future with pens for fingers almost made me choke on my greasy onion-ring lunch.

I'm revising my WIP that *was* 90K words when it was a first draft. I'm thinking it might end up being a bit longer than that when I'm done with the revision, because I thought up some new stuff to put into the plot that makes it way better but might require some more words.

Then I have about 10K of the sequel to the WIP written. That's the next project.

And I have a book outlined and ready to be jumped on as soon as I'm done with the aforementioned sequel. That's the novel about Houdini's crazy, crazy life, because you know how I loves me some magicians.

Then I have two really solid ideas I'm super excited about that will be outlined sometime during progress on the first draft of the Houdini novel. One involves SPACE HIPPIES(!) and is the germ of an idea I've been kicking around for several years. I finally figured out how to make it work: An anthology of short stories set in the same world. Yay! The other really solid idea is for a lit novel and involves some well documented but not very well known child abuse by a church. And no, it's not the Catholics.

All this must be done when I am not raking up meerkat droppings and scrubbing scorpion dung off of walls. Anybody who ever told you zookeeping isn't the glamorous life didn't know what he was talking about.

Word to your moms.

scarletpeaches
06-08-2009, 12:21 AM
The image of a robot ninja from the future with pens for fingers almost made me choke on my greasy onion-ring lunch.

Credit where credit's due; it was Adzmodeus who first called her that.:D

dancingandflying
06-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Um...

I have one short story I'm polishing before sending it off into the world.

Err... That's it.

Well, I'm also working on graduating in three days, so that accounts for something, right?

...Right?

:D

d&f.

Jersey Chick
06-08-2009, 01:05 AM
The thing is - I work on one for a while, then I work on something else (especially if one's giving me a pain - see the vampire WIP.) I rarely work on more than one project at a time - so I've always got something that needs working on. I find that the more I write, the more ideas I end up coming up with for new projects - so they go in a special file for a later date.

And yes, there is always time... usually after the kids go to bed... and my husband is very understanding and very supportive. And really, what guy is going to complain when his wife says, "No, really, go out with the guys!" ? :D

Robin Bayne
06-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Fiction proposal to send to editor (won critique on Brenda Novak's auction)--then finish the book just in case she requests whole thing!

2--previously pubbed novellas to send to new pub

2--short stories to revise and go to new pubs

KTC
06-08-2009, 03:24 AM
-I'm editing a completed novel...trying to tweak it into betterness.
-I'm writing a one-act play and editing another.
-I have 3 articles in the works.

Claudia Gray
06-08-2009, 05:58 AM
One book in progress. Five more books contracted for between now and 2012 (in terms of completion dates, not pub dates). Busy enough for jazz.

Cyia
06-08-2009, 07:05 AM
One book out on submission.

One being rearranged so that it makes sense.

4 in various stages of completion from 4,000 - 40,000 words.

fringle
06-08-2009, 10:42 AM
I try to keep my life as simple as possible.

-1 Lower MG for girls complete--in a panic over writing a query. PANIC
-1 adult novel started as part of the Summer Challenge.
-Outlining 2nd MG in effort to avoid writing a query for 1st MG.

KimJo
06-08-2009, 02:26 PM
What's on my writing desk... you mean other than clutter and my kids' school papers that they gave me to sign and forgot to take away?

- I'm 10,000 words into an erotic romance novella or novel that was supposed to be a 10,000 word short story but didn't want to be
- Revising my 85,000 fantasy/romance novel so I can submit it.
-Revising the first book of one of my 10-book YA series, because I have a proposal out on that series and I need to finish revising the book in case the publisher asks for the full ms
- Need to revise a 15,000 erotic romance novella so I can submit it; it's second-drafted and is on queue after the 85K novel gets done

I have two other romance shorts in my projects queue that need to be done by August for a couple of anthology calls, and several other things in that queue that don't have a deadline but still want to get done.

LuckyH
06-08-2009, 07:40 PM
One that has been edited to death, which I'm under contract to deliver in three month's time.

Two WIP which hang around and annoy the life out of me.

A change of genre and everything else is being actively planned for later this year.

CaroGirl
06-08-2009, 08:56 PM
I have:

a completed MG novel that needs final edits before querying
a completed YA novel that's on submission to publishers (one full out on request)
a completed short story that I have to give a reading for on June 24 (when I receive a place in a contest for said story), and that needs a final polish before it goes out on submission to magazines
a new novel (3000 wds) that I've just startedI also have that darn f/t job, 2 kids in piano and dance, a messy husband and 2 small (very old) dogs. I think that's good for now.

Phaeal
06-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Hmm, good idea this listing thread. I need to keep everything in line as the summer approaches and the outdoors calls...

1. Completing final, yes really final, polishing of completed novel.

2. Having just completed the submission materials for said novel (query letter, short and long synopses, partial chapters polished), start subbing to agents.

3. 2 first draft shorts to revise, polish and put on the market.

4. Research for next novel (historical fantasy) to pursue -- in the massive book reading stage.

5. Notes on sequels to completed novel above, in case anyone is interested enough to ask for them.

6. Bunch of short story bunnies clamoring in the hutch.

7. Novel in another fantasy milieu two-thirds done; needs completion.

8. Completed ST/TNG novel from a while back, whimpering to be transfered to yet another original milieu so it can stop gathering dust.

9. Film script outlined, ready to be drafted.

10. Intensive training of Assassin for solo invasion of Ubertristram and assassination of Diablo, Baal and Mephisto to obtain the legendary Torch charm. Whoa, wait. That's not writing, that's recreation. ;)

Adam
06-10-2009, 01:53 AM
Credit where credit's due; it was Adzmodeus who first called her that.:D

*Hug, kiss, surreptitious lick*

Lemme see...

I'm currently...

Editing my WIP.
Editing a short story.
Planning/outlining my sci-fi novella.
Planning/outlining my super secret project.
Planning the second book in my 3 book series.
Them's the major ones. :D

claire
06-10-2009, 02:08 AM
one novel ms out to several agents

another nearing final edit and going to reader

middle grade ms in process - first 3 chapters done

narrative nonfiction requested by editor - have about 150 pages and proposal done, but need to clean it up before sending on

initial research done for two more novels, with a few scenes written for each

bettielee
06-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Have the first book of my 3 book trilogy done, sitting and marinating in warm, steamy juices.

Currently working on book 2 (as sig suggests, it will hopefully be done by the end of July

Thinking about the 3rd book all the time

Have one poor little abandoned baby that I think about fondly... a very engaging fantasy romance type thing. Might need to up the smexy and do a rewrite. It's not finished.

Adam
06-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Ooh, Bettie reminded me that I "should" be planning the second book in my series, too.

Better go edit my post. :D

bettielee
06-10-2009, 08:30 PM
I am good for something....

Adam
06-10-2009, 08:33 PM
I am good for something....

Damn straight. ;)

*Many hugs.*

EFCollins
06-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Novel 1, The Spider, with betas.

Novel 2, The Seventh Sister, resting before edits.

Novel 3, Descent into Madness, drafting.

Novel 4, Blood and Water, complete but lost to a hard drive monster (not a virus... melt down)

Seven short stories taking turns in Query Land. Thirty-three left in the trunk, never to be seen again.

Elidibus
06-11-2009, 12:07 AM
One undergoing what will hopefully be the second to last edit before sending out to Beta.

One still floating around in my head. (A rewrite of a Nano novel I did about 4 years ago)

And my pet project, sitting nicely at 40K. Not really a lot once you write it down. But I've been wrestling with my WIP since December. By now I thought I'd be querying agents.

Tasmin21
06-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Hmm, lessee...

I'm waiting for revision notes from my editor on DD.
About 11K words into the DD sequel, and semi-stuck. (ok, really stuck)
Need to compile beta notes on Muse and revise.
Need to get a second draft of Peacemaker under my belt, and get it out to betas.
Have 1 chapter written for Tactile, and need to get back to it in general.
Need to work on plotting/outlining a possible YA urban fantasy.

DragonHeart
06-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Right now I'm trying to keep things simple. I have one novel-in-progress and one flash fiction out on submission to keep track of. Until I can get a handle on all the WIPs I have bouncing around, I am only doing one at a time. Including my current WIP I have 5 novels that I started writing and for whatever reason(s) stopped after anywhere from 500 to 6000 words. Besides the one I'm working on, of course.

Being busy isn't the problem for me, it's staying focused. I let one idea out to play and before I know it there's a half a dozen flying around trying to set my hair on fire.

Sean D. Schaffer
06-11-2009, 09:57 PM
I have one project, and it's taking up all my writing time. It's something I swore I would never do again, and here I am, working on it. The allure of the project was just too much to keep me away from it. ;)

At present, I've just finished Chapter Two, and the WIP stands at 7,687 words.

Shadow_Ferret
06-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Have you ever heard that saying, "If you want something done, ask a busy man?" I believe it's a truism; certainly the more I do, the more I find I'm able to do. You need to do something, you find the time.

I've never found that to be true in my case. The more on my plate, the more I drown. I think the expression should be, "If you want something done, ask an organized man."

Right now I'm editing my WIP for one final time. That's it. That's all I can handle.

Chasing the Horizon
06-12-2009, 07:26 AM
I should probably start by telling everyone that I have ADD.

Projects, in no particular order:

1. FINAL revision of my first novel (it really is final, because even if it sucks I'm not doing it again) -- 8/18 chapters completed
2. 3rd novel in my fantasy series -- ready to be edited, but I hate editing, so it's just sitting there.
3. Contemporary novel -- 47k/110k, kind of being procrastinated on, but for no good reason.
4. Sequel to my YA novel -- 35k/85k, basically on hold.
5. 4th book in my fantasy series -- 42k/120k, on hold until the edits on the rest of the series are completed (and because writing books I can't query probably isn't the best use of my time).
6. Completed YA fantasy novel -- Ready to query except I don't have a synopsis. Am actively doing everything in my power to put off writing synopsis and querying.
7. Nightmares or Dreams? (stand-alone fantasy novel) -- Outlining
8. New fantasy series -- Sort of outlining, mostly fighting with world-building and trying not to think about how long it took me to create my first fantasy world.
9. Paradise's Price (stand-alone fantasy novel) -- 9.5k/100k, most active WIP
10. Near-future sci-fi novel -- Re-outlining because there's something wrong with it. Outlining would be more productive if I knew what was wrong.
11. Books 5-10 of my main fantasy series -- Supposed to be on hold, but distracting me from everything else.

I need help. Really, I'm drowning over here.

Norman D Gutter
06-12-2009, 05:56 PM
I have lots of projects started, but only a couple I'm actively working on.

I have a baseball novel about 15,000 words done, which I'm just now getting back to, hoping for 2,000 words in June.

I have a completed short story simultaneously submitted to six markets. Waiting....

I have decided to go the freelance route for a while. My first query resulted in an assignment with a request to get in in quick for the next issue. I did so, reviewing the proofs this week. Now I'm researching other freelance markets of the same type. I find the research kind of daunting, but I'm plugging away at it. I hope to send in other queries next week.

I also write Bible studies, mainly for my own teaching but which seem to have publishing potential. So whenever the spirit moves me I work on one of those, trying to convert my notes in publishable text. I have four of those in some state of incompletion.

And I'm more or less constantly either working on or brainstorming my newspaper column. I have 18 finished to serve as prototypes, with four published (no compensation) in our local newspaper. I think it has great promise for success, but I hesitate to commit to the marketing and ongoing writing for fear it will consume all my creative writing time.

Novel 1 sits in the draw with its eight rejections, hoping I will dust it off and resume marketing it.

NDG

Namatu
06-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I try to follow the "one plan at a time" approach.

WIP: Halfway done.
1 (hopefully short) story, urban fantasy, taken out when the WIP is uncooperative, about 4k written
1 urban fantasy novel awaiting a rewrite of its beginning, to be tended to once the WIP's first draft is complete
1 nonfiction proposal, one-third of the way completed and low in priority

Mostly I pay attention to the WIP and try to save the rest for later, but my brain likes to hop around.