How much have you got on your plate - well, your writing desk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Brace yourselves. A serious, non-Office Party thread from La Peche Rouge.

Have you ever heard that saying, "If you want something done, ask a busy man?" I believe it's a truism; certainly the more I do, the more I find I'm able to do. You need to do something, you find the time.

So with regard to writing - how much have you got on your plate? Not that I'm overloaded with stuff myself but I thought it would be interesting to see how we prioritise and organise our projects. How much we work on at a time.

When it comes to works-in-progress, I stick to one these days. It's the only way I finishes 'em. I'm 78,553 words into my current WIP and I have my previous, 148,501-word book on standby for editing when I'm done with that.

I've also got a novel to beta for another AW member (not tt42 before you ask!) and two synopses to write for someone who shall remain nameless. *cough*

So go on, put me to shame. Tell us all about what's on your writing desk.

Oh, and tt42 is exemptified from answering this thread, being as she is a robot ninja from the future with pens for fingers.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My brain will explode.

One novel querying
WIP (Russian one) temporarily on back burner, about 50k written
WIP (new one) idea struck me like proverbial thunderbolt and now it's moved into my head, so I'm writing it.
Ideas for follow-on from Russian novel also in head.

That should do for now, I think.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I'll give it a shot.

Since the final version of TDTD is out of my hands, and it'll be a few months before I see my editorial letter for book two (at which point all other work stops), all of my Plate consists of spec work.

I'm working on final, hard-copy edits of a superhero novel, and then I'll have to type them all into the computer file. There will likely be one more agent edit after this, before we (*crosses fingers*) go on submission this summer. That will also require a revised synopsis, as well as a couple hundred words of other potential books in the series.

I have a new Urban Fantasy up to 60k words, that has stalled for the current editing project. I hope to get back to it next week, because I'm excited about the characters and want to see where they'll take me next.

Plus there's the promo stuff--keeping my blog updated and interesting, staying active on Facebook and Twitter, posting to two group blogs on a somewhat regular basis, prepping guest blog articles, planning future contests, etc...

It keeps me busy. :D

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I have two novels I'm querying/editing, I have a middle grade series to write with 1 finished and 6 more to go, I am working on a swashbuckler fantasy, I have 3 scripts to touch up. And story ideas piling up at the door.

RunawayScribe

It is what it is.
Registered
Reaction score
One WIP at about 29k.

One 75k novel being revised.

One idea for a future novel upon which I'm brooding.

One beta exchange, going chapter by chapter.

Sometimes I work on short stories on the side, but I don't have one going atm.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Second book in series in revision, hoping to finish final read through tomorrow and send it back.
One novella almost finished first draft
Third book in series underway
Workshopping a novel ( should've sent the e-mail today really as I couldn't make it in person, but it'll probably be sent Monday)
Another novel I'm betaing
Oh, and some novel openings to go through for my writers' group next Saturday.

Add in the promo stuff I'm doing and it's tear your hair out time.

As for my actual desk - I probably have one somewhere, under all those bits of paper.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Two novel-length works-in-progress(see below). One is in second draft stage, and the other is in first.

One short story currently being buffed to a high sheen.

A second short story brewing in my head.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh! I've been needing to do this, but I've been avoiding it like the plague. Here goes:

1 novel being edited.
1 short story being edited.
1 novel waiting to be edited.

2 short stories out on sub.
2 short stories waiting to go out on sub.

2K written of Sci-Fi WIP #1.
5K written of Sci-Fi WIP #2.
2K rough draft of short story.

4 posts for my buddy's blog started, but not finished.

1 beta job to complete by end of June.

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
Let's see:

One novel (YA historical- 62k) out with betas

One novel (MG urban fantasy) currently being written.

One novel (YA urban fantasy) slowly being outlined

One novel (women's fiction) on the back burner

One novle (historical) on the back burner

So yeah I'm handling it ok, when I actually get the mojo to write. I'm anxiously awaiting feedback from my betas. So I'm hoping I can finish most of my WIP before I get feedback from them.

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
Primary WIP, a supernatural adventure, is going to have its edits typed in over the next couple weeks. Gonna tighten up scenes, rewrite the intro, cut some stuff. Hoping to query by the end of summer.

Second WIP, urban fantasy, needs at least 35k rewritten, including the entire back end. Leaving that for when I'm feeling braver.

My first freelance work ever! I'm working on that now, will hand it in on Monday. Motorcycle stuff. :)
I also have the outline for a space opera trilogy sitting literally right in front of me. Came up with it last year; I pulled it out last night after watching Star Trek. Yeah, yeah, laugh, go ahead, but I was inspired.

Nautical fantasy/humor/historical adventure series that I don't know what to do with anymore, and is just going to sit until I finish #1 and the freelance work.

Also, the cable/internets bill, which I really should pay if I want to keep visiting AW.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I may be alone in this regard, but writing several novels at the same time (in completely different styles and genres) seems to keep me active. There isn't the feeling that I am getting bogged down in one character or setting, and if I get bored with an annoying chapter that refuses to play ball (it happens a lot) I just switch to another novel.

Then there are the numerous short stories I write to get me warmed up for the day. Those are quickies, maybe fifteen minutes or so to get an idea flattened onto the page and another ten to 'shape' them.

As I said, I'm probably alone in working this way. :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hmmm...

Currently working on mainstream novel (probably YA, but i'm not so sure anymore) started three weeks ago, have 33.5K on that.
Still researching above novel as i write.
Have first-draft of spec fic novel gathering dust while i work on this one, to be edited after this current first draft is done.
Am outlining the novel (another spec fic) to start after i get both of these first drafts out to betas.
Have a semi-outline for the novel to write after that.

Have 12 shorts and poems (9/3) out on sub.
Have two more that are nearly ready to start on the magazine merry-go-round.
Am actively working on two more at the moment (first draft of one finished, the other one progressing along well enough).
Have one horrible first draft short to rewrite, but i'm allowing that one plenty of time so i can see past the way the first draft meanders to a horribly cheesy ending.
Have about 5 other started shorts with potential, but languishing, and (like every writer) more ideas than i know what to do with.

Oh yeah, and blogging daily.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Exempt from posting in this thread? Pfft. Whatever.

My platter de litrachur:
  • Querying 3 finished books
  • Editing 1 book
  • Outlining 1 new first draft, writing another
  • Working with WayneK on his memoir, possibly revamping a few things (we're still deciding which direction to go)
  • Will probably have edits from publishers (for Between Brothers and Playing With Fire) at some point, but haven't heard yet
  • 3 other first drafts that are sort of stalled, but not abandoned
  • 2 finished books that need rather substantial overhauls, probably to the tune of adding 20-30K to each
  • Nagging at scarletpeaches and Adzmodeus to finish THEIR WIP's
I think that's about it.

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
Two mini-WIP's that have been eating away at my time. (And my brain.)
One full length novel that must be beta'd by the end of June.
One WIP (almost complete) novel that also must be beta'd by the end of June.

I really should concentrate on them who're waiting for me to beta their works. ^^; But eh, all in all, my writing desk isn't that full.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One novel being shopped.
One novel about halfway through
One novel in the research stage (no writing yet--not until the WIP is finished)
Proposal being developed to turn published short story into full length novel
One poetry collection being put together

But, but, but...I have a day job that also requires a great deal of writing (scientific papers and grant proposals)
One research paper in press
One commentary paper (for peer reviewed journal) about to be submitted
Three research papers in preparation (data collected, figures prepared, in various stages of writing with co-authors)
One invited review paper in organizational stage
One grant proposal in writing stage
One grant proposal in organization stage
One grant proposal just recommended for funding
Two grant proposals submitted and in review

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
One novel just signed with Lyrical

One full requested by a pub that I am putting a final shine to before kicking out the door. (actually, it is a three book romance trilogy, and I have high hopes of hooking a sell for all three books)

One novel concept that I pitched to an editor in passing. They expressed genuine interest. Said they wanted to look at it, and that the genre sold 'like hot cakes', so I opened my big mouth and told them that I would have it on their desk by the end of July. Haven't started that one, yet. Oops.

One novel that I just sent a blind query/submission on.

One novel that is going to be queried this week, finally. Spent WAY too much time working on the query and synop...but if it hits, it will be a biggie, at least for me.

My WIP that is about 5000 words from being finished. I work on it daily.

Thats all, for now.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Okaaaay... here goes:

I have one ms out on submission (keep your fingers crossed my editor likes it. :D)

I just finished a first draft revision on an 85k ms.

I'm 66k words in on another first draft (an historical/paranormal romance. With vampires!) That one's on hold because I haz a stuk.

I'm 52k words into a first draft of an historical romance (one of the characters from Eden's Pass is getting his own story. I did about 2k on it tonight and am now calling it a night. :D

I think that's it. Jeez - no wonder I'm tired...

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Oh, yeah. And I have a YA fantasy romance floating around out there in the nether world. I submitted it months ago. Wonder what happened to it? Better check my records. Might be time to record that as a 'no go' and resubmit it, elsewhere....

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...it seems we are all pretty busy, aren't we?

I am at the beginning of a WIP I abandoned...I had left it alone so long, I had to start at the beginning again, but I'm editing as I go. Total is more than 50k with only the ending left to go, but I'm about 10k into the editing.

I have a finished novel on the back burner that I think is really great but unfortunately received a lot of rejections. One day, I'll try querying again.

I also have a few chapters of a friend's WIP coming my way on Monday to read.

And a poem I'm still trying to finish.

And a bunch of ideas jotted down in a notebook.

Oh and one WIP I liked but abandoned. I forget why now. I'll have to go back to that at some point.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
One book in progress (see below), one story being published next month, one short story being considered and one book being routinely rejected by every agent in the universe.

Also kicking about an idea for a black comedy/horror story. I'm aiming to have the first draft of my WIP done by the end of August.

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
A Bunch

I looked:

One 68K erotica ready for second/third edit.
One 72K on the back shelf, but ready for edit.
Two scripts, one with me as we travel -- in edit.
One WIP stuck at a thorny plot point, and pissing me off.

But, one piece (short story) just handed to the publisher for an anthology to be printed in September.

Another short article for a travel mag sent to their editor--to be published next issue.

The desk overfloweth. Someday I'll look in the really old stuff and make a decision or two.

Reaction score
Blimey. You guys put me to shame.

At the same time, I know that no matter how much I have before me, it's always possible to make the time and get more done.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Blimey. You guys put me to shame.

... and me too. Gosh o' mighty, do you people ever sleep?! :-O

I've got one WIP on the boards at present that is pretty much consuming all my time. Other than that I have my periodical freelance gig, and here and there I take on something small like a short story or cartoon. Would love to be able to juggle more but just can't.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
... and me too. Gosh o' mighty, do you people ever sleep?! :-O

I don't! LOL

Okay, in all seriousness...I'm a chronic insomniac, I have no day job, no children, very little if any social life, and live in a country where I don't speak the common language. My husband works long hours. I don't drive here. My social life consists of chatting with Scarletpeaches, Libbie, and Adzmodeus, all of whom kick my ass to write more.

If there's one thing I have, it's TIME, and lots of it.

So...I write. A lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.