Military Service

Loken

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Anyone of you done military service? If you have; how was it, was it worth it?

I'm a at a crossroads; what to do after high-school? Take a year off to do military service, or apply to a college? I see the benefits of military service, you know, the friends to be made, new experiences... It will really be my first step into the adult world. Yet I have a strange feeling I'll miss out on things if I join the army. I fear I'll lose my guitar-skills, estrange my friends, forfeit education... All kinds of incomprehensible things. Still I feel the need to do something new in my life.

Please help a lost youth.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm not sure where you're serving, but military service is longer than a year. Military contracts are generally 8 years. You may be active for 1 but then you're IRR for 7, and being in the reserves means they can grab your name out of a hat and call you up anytime, no matter if you're about to take your finals to graduate from college.

My SO was an Army recruiter after he came home from Iraq. If you'd like to talk to him I'd be happy to put you in contact. He'll be completely honest, especially since he's retired now.

****Ah, I see you're in Sweden. I'd think serving in one country is far different than serving in another.

Last edited:

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I don't know how it works where you are, but if you join the military here in New Zealand, they will pay for your education.

My Uncle was head of the NZ Army several years back and he spent ages trying to convince my cousin to join so she could get her medical degree for free.
Join the army, train as a doctor through them for free, do a couple of years and then you're out with no student debt.

Not a bad deal, considering the limited troops we send to overseas conflicts...

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, Loken, the decision as to whether or not to enter the military is not something that's best handled on a message board. My advice would be for you and your family to talk about it--to consider the positives and negatives. Make your decision based on what is best for you and your family, not what others think.