PDA

View Full Version : Which style do you use?

robeiae
06-06-2009, 07:45 PM
In honor of Carradine's passing, the "best martial artist in movies" poll.

I'm making it multiple choice, but the idea is to only vote for two (I'm assuming Bruce Lee will get a vote from almost everyone, so this is more of a poll to find out who is number two, but I could be wrong).

Is this based on skills, acting ability, or both? You decide. Whose movies do you really prefer?

Lhun
06-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Tony Jaa gets my vote for most likely to win in an actual fight, and Jet Li the second because Wushu looks nice and "Hero" was plain awesome.

shawkins
06-07-2009, 01:15 AM
Bruce Lee. Teachers the world over have been about 18% safer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpFsRjLh7xw) since The Chinese Connection.

BigWords
06-07-2009, 02:30 AM
Any time you get the opportunity watch the Street Fighter films. Serious martial arts, and Sonny Chiba has everything working for him in those movies. I always got annoyed at Jet Li's historical films for the fighting, when he flounces around so much. The action should be brutal and to the point (like Chiba), and any excess energy wastage kept to a minimum.
The other niggle (mainly about old HK films, but there are lots of examples) is the fact that the villains always stand in a circle waiting to get their asses kicked. Kill Bill vol. 1's subversion of the old trends was what got me watching that film, Uma Thurman was who kept me watching. :)

Zoombie
06-07-2009, 02:34 AM
I have a soft spot for Jackie Chan...

Cyia
06-07-2009, 03:00 AM
So, who exactly is DaviS Carradine?

BigWords
06-07-2009, 03:27 AM
Tpyos on a syte filld with writres will drwa attenshun.

ChunkyC
06-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Betty David's son, perhaps? ;)

Anyway, I voted Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. Bruce Lee for pure martial arts talent, and Jackie Chan for both his skill and the entertainment value of his work in film.

Mr Flibble
06-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Whoops, only voted for one.

Tony Jaa. I watch him and I can honestly say I've never had more 'how the F did he...oh wait he's just-- HOLY COW THIS GUY IS GOOD!' moments.

Kurtz
06-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Gordon Liu, because I have a soft spot for Shio-Lin Vs Wu Tang and 36 Chambers of Shaolin.

It's very different to the martial arts in films like 5 Deadly Venoms or Crouching Tiger, but the style used in the Bourne films (I think it's at least partially Krav Maga) is a personal favorite. It's the closest to real fighting, clunky and awkward. There's no real beauty to it, Matt Damon just causes as much damage to the opponent in the shortest period of time, using anything at his disposal ranging from chairs to pens and at one point a rolled up newspaper.

robeiae
06-08-2009, 01:17 AM
No votes for Chuck? Where's the love.

Anyway, he'll likely roundhouse kick the lot of us to Pluto*.

* no longer a planet

BenPanced
06-08-2009, 04:45 AM
I think everybody's sick of Chuck Norris' intarwebz presence.

dclary
06-08-2009, 05:26 AM
Norris was a great tournament fighter -- one of the best, and through both that, and his early martial arts films, is easily one of the most important people in martial arts film history --- without Norris' "chop sockey" movies in the states, the brilliant martial artists and choreographers from Hong Kong, Japan and parts east would have been a lot slower in coming to America. As a martial arts filmmaker, his skills are not nearly as showy and his acting not nearly as diverse, so he certainly doesn't deserve to win votes in this poll.

But he does deserve at least partial credit for us knowing almost every other name on that list.

C.bronco
06-08-2009, 05:31 AM
Tough call. Bruce is a hard act to follow.

KTC
06-08-2009, 05:37 AM
I enjoyed Po the panda in Kung Fu Panda. He had the moves.

KTC
06-08-2009, 05:38 AM

PAH!

C.bronco
06-08-2009, 05:40 AM
I almost voted Jackie Chan, but then I voted for Seagall because of the plot lines in his movies.
Chuck Norris will probably come to my house soon and kill me with a swift roundhouse kick to the head. Se la vie!

KTC
06-08-2009, 05:42 AM
I almost voted Jackie Chan, but then I voted for Seagall because of the plot lines in his movies.

It's best martial artist, not best plot lines!

colealpaugh
06-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Mirko Cro Cop...movie to be released.

Chuck Norris will probably come to my house soon and kill me with a swift roundhouse kick to the head. Se la vie!

It's cool that your avatars pics are always in the bathroom.

aadams73
06-08-2009, 12:58 PM
For me it's Jackie Chan and Jet Li.* Jean Claude...well, Kickboxer is one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies, but his overwhelming self-love is hard to overcome.

*All-time favorite martial arts movie scene: Kiss of the Dragon where Jet Li nails that guy in the forehead with the billiard ball.

ChunkyC
06-08-2009, 06:13 PM
It's very different to the martial arts in films like 5 Deadly Venoms or Crouching Tiger, but the style used in the Bourne films (I think it's at least partially Krav Maga) is a personal favorite. It's the closest to real fighting, clunky and awkward. There's no real beauty to it, Matt Damon just causes as much damage to the opponent in the shortest period of time, using anything at his disposal ranging from chairs to pens and at one point a rolled up newspaper.
If you can overcome the vertigo induced by the shaky-cam technique and actually see what is going on. I wish they'd just set the camera and let us watch the fights in the Bourne films, because they are superbly staged.

...but then I voted for Seagall because of the plot lines in his movies.
What plot lines? ;)

triceretops
06-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Elvis Presley?

Tri

Roger J Carlson
06-08-2009, 06:20 PM
So, who exactly is DaviS Carradine?Mod note: fixed

BigWords
06-08-2009, 06:21 PM
After watching Executive Decision, Steven Seagal will always be known as Steven Seagull in my house.

If you haven't seen the film, it's a great demise for the character he plays, and I get a chuckle every time I watch it.

robeiae
06-08-2009, 06:32 PM
And no votes for the guy with the beard? Perhaps a refresher course:

http://www.combat-zone.net/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=al_leong_die_hard.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kN0cmm_nZd0/RrIJGC9Kc-I/AAAAAAAAABU/ejX-88LUdbY/s320/AlLeong_2.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/2936559228_2181ff3353_m.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kN0cmm_nZd0/RrIJaS9KdAI/AAAAAAAAABk/IqY-08Th99I/s320/eakhan1.jpg

Name those flicks!

Diana Hignutt
06-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I voted for Lee and Li, but I love Jackie Chan to most (the comedy, the acrobatics, the cartoon).

Kurtz
06-08-2009, 07:46 PM
If you can overcome the vertigo induced by the shaky-cam technique and actually see what is going on. I wish they'd just set the camera and let us watch the fights in the Bourne films, because they are superbly staged.

I must be the only person who loved that shakey cam. You feel every bump, crash and scrape in the car chase in Supremacy because of it. The chase scenes in Idenity are so much more fluid and less... bone crunching. I found it easy enough to follow what was going on, it ushered in a hell of a lot of shakey films that were not as well staged and were totally incomprehensible though.

ChunkyC
06-08-2009, 08:36 PM
... it ushered in a hell of a lot of shakey films that were not as well staged and were totally incomprehensible though.
You're right there. I especially hate the flicks that shake the camera even when two people are standing still having a conversation. I find it annoying as all get out.

dclary
06-08-2009, 09:28 PM
And no votes for the guy with the beard? Perhaps a refresher course:

http://www.combat-zone.net/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=al_leong_die_hard.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kN0cmm_nZd0/RrIJGC9Kc-I/AAAAAAAAABU/ejX-88LUdbY/s320/AlLeong_2.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/2936559228_2181ff3353_m.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kN0cmm_nZd0/RrIJaS9KdAI/AAAAAAAAABk/IqY-08Th99I/s320/eakhan1.jpg

Name those flicks!

Die Hard
Big Trouble in Little China
Lethal Weapon

dang. I'm stumped on the 4th one.

dclary
06-08-2009, 09:30 PM
You're right there. I especially hate the flicks that shake the camera even when two people are standing still having a conversation. I find it annoying as all get out.

That's the worst scene in Bourne 3..when he's telling the brother that marie is dead... the camera guy's shaking like he's having a seizure in a completely quiet, intense, static scene.

robeiae
06-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Die Hard
Big Trouble in Little China
Lethal Weapon

dang. I'm stumped on the 4th one.Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

That's it for you, Deek. Billy will disown you now, for sure.

dclary
06-09-2009, 01:39 AM
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

That's it for you, Deek. Billy will disown you now, for sure.

Ah crap. I totally forgot he was genghis khan. If he'd been holding a baseball bat I would have nailed it.

Kurtz
06-09-2009, 02:50 AM
That's the worst scene in Bourne 3..when he's telling the brother that marie is dead... the camera guy's shaking like he's having a seizure in a completely quiet, intense, static scene.

It does add an immense sense of tension to everything though. Brings home the fact that Bourne is coiled like a spring, ready to go from totally calm to beating the shit out of someone in like 5 seconds. The office scenes when all hell is breaking loose are intense as well with the camera work.

poetinahat
06-09-2009, 03:01 AM
Um, who are all those other guys?

Bruce Lee:Martial Arts Films::Bob Marley:reggae

ChunkyC
06-09-2009, 03:24 AM
It does add an immense sense of tension to everything though. Brings home the fact that Bourne is coiled like a spring, ready to go from totally calm to beating the shit out of someone in like 5 seconds. The office scenes when all hell is breaking loose are intense as well with the camera work.
Too many filmmakers use shaky cam and other techniques as a crutch when the story isn't up to the task. I'm not saying that's the case with Bourne, necessarily, but I honestly think the movie would have been better if they hadn't used the technique throughout the film. It was as if all the cameramen were suffering from Parkinsons. By the time the action started, I was already sick of the shaky cam. If they'd held off on using it until the fights/car chases, etc., it would have been far more effective. Imagine a scary movie where someone just says BOOOOOOOOOO from beginning to end. If a second person jumped out and said BOO at some point partway through, you probably wouldn't even notice. That's how the shaky cam affected me, I became overdosed on it and so rather than enhancing the fights, it merely became this kind of "white noise", so to speak.

TheseHeavySands
06-09-2009, 04:50 AM
I voted Gordon Liu and Other.

The other I voted for is Prachya Pinkaew, from the movie Chocolate.

Take the fighting skills of Tony Jaa, water them down a bit and put them in a hot Thai chick and you have my perfect martial artist.

Gordon Liu is often forgotten about now, but his work in the Shaw Brothers movies of the 1970s is breathtaking.

Jackie Chan would have been my third, he has tarnished his reputation by starring in crap movies for the past 15 years to the point where he is viewed as comedian first, martial artist second, but his early Hong Kong work is phenomenal.

bettielee
06-09-2009, 04:54 AM
Chuck Norris is a poser.

robeiae
06-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Chuck Norris can roundhouse kick that post so hard, it would end up embedded a mile deep in the Moon. So there.

BigWords
06-09-2009, 05:06 AM
Lay off Chuck. Everyone knows that Sidekicks was a brilliant film. *cough*

dclary
06-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Um, who are all those other guys?

Bruce Lee:Martial Arts Films::Bob Marley:reggae

Bruce Lee: The first international martial arts star, and one of the first martial artists to "cross-train" in multiple styles.

Jackie Chan: The most successful Hong Kong actor, and first to find box-office success in both Hong Kong and Hollywood.

Chuck Norris: First American martial arts Hollywood superstar.

Sonny Chiba: Cult favorite. Nowhere near as influential as many of these others.

Jet Li: Very talented Chinese martial artist. Most recent star to make the Lee/Chan leap from China to America.

Steven Seagal. American aikido practitioner who is general detested by many professionals in the industry.

David Carradine. American actor who was influential in teaching Americans about the philosophical aspects of the martial arts through the television show Kung Fu in the 70s.

Gordon Liu. Hong Kong actor who was a regular performer in the Hong Kong martial arts movies of the 70s. These films introduced the world to "wire-fu."

Jean-Claude Van Damme. Belgian dancer and amateur martial artist who turned boyish good looks, the ability to do the splits, and an accent similar to Arnold Schwarzenegger into a successful martial arts film career.

Tony Jaa. Thailand's best martial arts movie star.

Kitty Pryde
06-10-2009, 12:37 AM
GAH!

Why no love for Mark Dacascos? Only The Strong! Brotherhood of the Wolf! Crying Freeman! Double Dragon! He's even kinda awesome on Iron Chef America.

Also, my other vote has to be for Sammo Hung. Sure Jackie Chan can prance all over the place in an aesthetically pleasing manner. But Sammo Hung can do all the same stuff, and he's twice the size! And no one dispatches a hopping vampire quite like he does.