PDA

View Full Version : Movie recommendation Thread

Lhun
06-06-2009, 01:31 AM
So, how come there no Movie recommendation thread in here?
Anyway, to make this thread a bit more useful than just a plain list of titles, let's keep this in the format of if you like x you'll probably like y.

I'll start with
If you liked Crimson Rivers, check out Empire of the Wolves. Not only because both star Jean Reno, but they're both thrillers with a very similar (dark) atmosphere.
If you liked Inside Man, check out Spy Game. Both thrillers with a very clever plot. For that matter, check out Infernal Affairs too. Even all three. The sequels are surprisingly not worse than the first.
If you liked Get Smart, you might like Hot Fuzz. It's rated R for a reason though, there's some pretty graphic (if comic) violence shown.

dclary
06-06-2009, 01:40 AM
Star Trek

alleycat
06-06-2009, 01:57 AM
If you like film noir, you might like Out of the Past (with Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas) and The Lonely Place (with Humphrey Bogart). By the way, the Bogart character in The Lonely Place is a drunken, sharp-tongued writer . . . what's not to like?

childeroland
06-06-2009, 02:21 AM
If you like Out of the Past (a great film) you might enjoy Dark Passage with Bogart and Bacall. I don't know if they're thematically related -- I'm not good at that sort of thing -- but the one film brought the other to mind, and I think Dark Passage is underrated by many. The Mitchum film also reminds me of the 1945 Detour and the 1950 Gun Crazy.

DamaNegra
06-06-2009, 06:05 AM
Definitely watch UP. Best move I've seen in a long, long time.

dgiharris
06-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Thought I'd list some movies that probably snuck underneath your radar.

If you liked Matrix, you will like Dark City

If you liked Office Space, you'll probably like Death By Smoochy

If you liked Gattaca and Total Recall, you will like Imposter

som1luvsmi
06-06-2009, 10:55 AM
If you liked Matrix, you will like Dark City

If you liked Matrix, you will like Equilibrium. I thought the movie was awesome.

Zoombie
06-06-2009, 10:57 AM
um...

if by awesome you mean, kinda boring.

Till the GUN-FU at the end.

That was totally worth the rest of the movie, actually...

som1luvsmi
06-06-2009, 11:59 AM
um...

if by awesome you mean, kinda boring.

Till the GUN-FU at the end.

That was totally worth the rest of the movie, actually...

:tongue

Zoombie
06-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I am masta of GUN-FU!

NoelleB
06-06-2009, 01:06 PM
If you like Asian/indie movies with no clear purpose other than being memorable, thought provoking, and decidedly 'un-Hollywood' check out:

Spring Summer Fall Winter Spring
Dolls (super depressing collection of stories, it will haunt you, i promise.)
An Affair of Love (a woman posts an ad in a newspaper looking for an affair - sex only - and the story sounds racy but it's truly not, and it's a fascinating character study)

dgiharris
06-06-2009, 02:21 PM
If you liked Matrix, you will quite possibly love Equilibrium. That movie is Awesome!!!!

I did like the gun-fu, but felt the writing was a touch weak. It also felt like it was 'trying' to be the Matrix a little bit.

Where as Dark City, definitely has its own feel and if i'm not mistaken, it was one of the influences on the Matrix, along with a lot of anime. :)

anyways, might as well give you another 'hidden gem'.

If you liked Just Like Heaven, then you will like Defending Your Life
actually, Defending Your Life is a terrific movie, you will like it regardless.

Mel...

childeroland
06-06-2009, 02:45 PM
If you like Spring Summer Fall Winter Spring, you might like Millennium Mambo and Three Times.

robeiae
06-06-2009, 07:29 PM
If you like movies that are stupid beyond all belief, you'll probably like Gymkata.

dgiharris
06-06-2009, 09:34 PM
If you like movies that are stupid beyond all belief, you'll probably like Gymkata.

What kinda stupid? There are over 31 flavors of stoooped