PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite thing about, well, yourself?

M.Austin
06-05-2009, 10:05 PM
So what is your favorite thing about yourself when you're writing. Have you ever double checked a scene and wanted to hi-five yourself?

Everytime I go back to read, I notice the small historical records that I throw in everywhere. Will people see or even notice it? Probably not, but it puts a grin on my face every time I do it.

Wark
06-05-2009, 10:22 PM
I write dialog well, but have too much nodding, looking, and sighing.

I write action well, but I leave out details in the interest of speed, and it makes people who don't have my vision of what happens go, "huh?"

dpaterso
06-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Haha, tried to edit the title of the thread. I always type thing for think and the opposite =(!
:e2fairy:

-Derek

Wayne K
06-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Sometimes I write something, and then look at it and can't believe I wrote it. It's great.

Then I'll look at something I wrote yesterday and I can't believe I wrote it because it stinks.

Cranky
06-05-2009, 11:29 PM
I can't think of anything to say to this that doesn't seem tiresome and egotistical. Besides, the feelings...they pass. :D

Wayne K
06-05-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm objective, I like that about me.

scarletpeaches
06-06-2009, 12:55 AM
My ability to just STFU and write instead of angsting about writer's block. If I let life get in the way, I wouldn't be the sort of person to write 10k in a day.

JonSwift
06-06-2009, 01:34 AM
I think that I'm practical when I write. But I think my description could use a tad bit of work.

Aggy B.
06-06-2009, 04:04 AM
Well.

I do it all well. That's why I write.

But it's never all good at the same time.

That's why I revise.

:)

ETA: Having reread what I said, I sound like a pompous ass. I should have said "What I love about myself is that I can be multitalented."

On any given day I can write a stunning descriptive passage OR figure out a niggly plotpoint that makes the story go from good to brilliant OR dash off a brilliant exchange of dialogue. But I never get all of them at once. So I revise until it's all... you know, no longer crap.

Mr Flibble
06-06-2009, 04:07 AM
Getting inside other people's heads.

And, apparently, 'putting your characters in impossible situations. For them, if no one else'

jennontheisland
06-06-2009, 04:23 AM
Description. Just enough of it.

Epiphany
06-06-2009, 04:30 AM
My ability to just STFU and write instead of angsting about writer's block. If I let life get in the way, I wouldn't be the sort of person to write 10k in a day.

*HiFive!* I wish I could be more like you :)

I like my quirkie, humorous dialogue scenes and scenes with incredibly heavy emotion involved, like complicated romance, angst, severe sorrow, fear, etc.

scarletpeaches
06-06-2009, 04:32 AM
*HiFive!* I wish I could be more like you :)

I like my quirkie, humorous dialogue scenes and scenes with incredibly heavy emotion involved, like complicated romance, angst, severe sorrow, fear, etc.

I get that a lot. It's my stunning good looks, wit, charm, talent, charisma and personal magnetism that do it.

:D

som1luvsmi
06-06-2009, 04:36 AM
I like that writing has made me a funnier person, both on the page and face to face. It's made my wit quicker, too. :D

Alas, my typing still has a ways to go.

thethinker42
06-06-2009, 04:41 AM
I've been threatened with bodily harm if I don't post in this thread. *glares at scarletpeaches*

My favorite thing about my own writing...hmm...honestly? My sex scenes. Not just because they're dirty (they are), but they're the scenes that most often make me go "Whoa, I wrote that??"

That, and being able to take an idea from scarletpeaches (given freely, not stolen!) and turn it into a novel. Her head is made of wrong, and thus, so are my books. (Seriously...she's responsible for the existence of 2 of my books, one of which is in the process of being published)

scarletpeaches
06-06-2009, 04:44 AM
I've been threatened with bodily harm if I don't post in this thread. *glares at scarletpeaches*

My favorite thing about my own writing...hmm...honestly? My sex scenes. Not just because they're dirty (they are), but they're the scenes that most often make me go "Whoa, I wrote that??"

That, and being able to take an idea from scarletpeaches (given freely, not stolen!) and turn it into a novel. Her head is made of wrong, and thus, so are my books. (Seriously...she's responsible for the existence of 2 of my books, one of which is in the process of being published)

You say the nicest things.:thankyou:

Matera the Mad
06-06-2009, 05:31 AM
Now I'm thinking of a scene in which MC1 says, more or less, "I wish I was more like you" and MC2 says, "I wish I was too."

I like making my characters human, and I like it when I get something right after letting it simmer on the back burner for as long as it takes for the right words to bubble up.

Wayne K
06-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Well.

I do it all well. That's why I write.

But it's never all good at the same time.

That's why I revise.

ETA: Having reread what I said, I sound like a pompous ass. I should have said "What I love about myself is that I can be multitalented."

On any given day I can write a stunning descriptive passage OR figure out a niggly plotpoint that makes the story go from good to brilliant OR dash off a brilliant exchange of dialogue. But I never get all of them at once. So I revise until it's all... you know, no longer crap.

I don't think you sound like a pompous ass at all.

Aggy B.
06-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I don't think you sound like a pompous ass at all.

Thanks. :)

I was in a hurry and when I went back and read what I'd said it occurred to me it might have come out wrong. So, I clarified. (Just in case.)

RJK
06-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm just happy to see the surprised look on people's faces when they say "I really like what you wrote."

Kurtz
06-07-2009, 01:22 AM
The fact that my writing reads like it has been translated into English from Yucatec Maya. As a result my syntax is so totally alien, it is beyond criticsm.

EFCollins
06-07-2009, 03:18 AM
What do I like about my writing? Not much, to be honest. I'm never satisfied with it. It's never right, never good enough... blah! That's the thing I hate about myself though.

The one thing I do like about what I write is that I can kick someone in the gut and really give them an emotion that they feel. Whether it's sadness or fear or the "happies", I can do that. It's about the only thing I can do well the first time around. The rest comes with edits, always and forever with the darned edits...

Birol
06-07-2009, 05:19 AM
So what is your favorite thing about yourself when you're writing. Have you ever double checked a scene and wanted to hi-five yourself?

Everytime I go back to read, I notice the small historical records that I throw in everywhere. Will people see or even notice it? Probably not, but it puts a grin on my face every time I do it.

If you're throwing in the "small historical records... everywhere," people will probably notice. This isn't necessarily a good thing. Subtlety is often preferred.

Wayne K
06-07-2009, 07:13 AM
I think confidence goes a long way when you write. When i sit down I'm not hinking that I'm better than you, but if you can do it, I can do it.

When I write with confidence, it shows.

wannawrite
06-07-2009, 07:25 AM
That I have committment enough not to just write, but to also edit, query, get the damn synop out, edit again, research pubs, research agents, check on trends, attend workshops, etc...

The writing is the easy part. It is the crap that goes with it that drags me down. But I force myself. And I'm proud that I do. It would be so easy just to write and write and write and just let my stuff languish in the computer. Easier on the self esteem, easier on everyone in my life.

I like that I'm actually getting the job done, now, and not just playing around, anymore.

Libbie
06-07-2009, 08:54 AM
I don't know what it is with me this week, but it seems I can't go wrong with my writing since June started. It's been one high-five-worthy scene after another. I am so excited to write more awesomeness that I can't make myself stop (even when bed time is an hour late, like tonight.) I just finished 4000 words and every one of them was fabulous.

This probably means I'm going to hate everything I write next week, but one super-productive week is worth at least two awful weeks for me.

As far as what I consistently like about myself when I'm writing, I think I like the fact that I don't hesitate to take chances with my imagery. During good spates it really works well and is super-memorable and elegant (or so I've been told.) On bad weeks it sucks out loud, but I can always edit later, and at least I took a chance. Ha ha.

The Lonely One
06-07-2009, 08:05 PM
A close writing friend of mine one time read a short story of mine.

He liked it, thought the writing was particularly good for a first draft.

But then he said, "I don't care about this character. He seems kind of a like a pussy, to be honest."

I like about myself the moments I can see what I envisioned with my fiction and how other people view it and reconcile the two.

backslashbaby
06-07-2009, 08:06 PM
I really like me. It helps to have a lot in common :D

Oh, my writing? Off-kilter in an interesting way would be what sets it apart, I'd hope. But you might have to be fairly off-kilter to really like it. That's cool :)

hshd
06-08-2009, 07:20 AM
My strength is in writing violent rip-your-head-off scenes.

My other strength is in thought experiment. Sometimes as I write, I would self-fulfill a thought 'I am a great storyteller'. And every time I do this, I get this imagery of a mortal at the foot of a mountain looking up into the realm of the gods, surrounded by dark clouds intermittently flared with lightning. The mortal intends to ascend. So he begins climbing and climbing. Even if it is an infinite vertical, his muscles, his body gets stronger and stronger, and he attains higher and higher. And should he fall to his death, he will always resurrect himself like the phoenix, stronger than before, and climb again.

KD_Kilker
06-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Being a voracious reader has both hindered and benefited me in writing. The upside is that all, if not most, of the decisions I make regarding style are subconscious. The possible downside to this is how prone I am to accidentally plagiarizing sentences.
Since I have stopped reading books in pleasure-mode, and go over everything with an analytic eye, It's easy for me to remember sentences and stick them into my own writing without thinking. I had caught myself doing this once.

But I've convinced myself that I'll cut them out in revision. I've devoted my first draft to showing me that I can start a 50,000 word novel and finish one. I'll save actually making it readable for revision and such.

Too bad I can't apply the upside to life. I've got to be the most ineloquent person IRL. And not just because I have speech impediments.

See? This entire reply has been mostly TL;DR FAILURE. I don't put too much thought into emails, forum posts, and the like.

Libbie
06-10-2009, 06:15 AM
OMG, KD! So funny you brought that up, because I have the same problem and just caught it in a chapter revision. I ripped off a sentence almost word for word from a Gregory Maguire novel. I could have smacked myself. It was totally unintentional, but it was way bad. Way obvious. I'm glad I caught it, and I'm terrified that there are more unintentional ripoffs scattered throughout my writing that nobody will catch until it's too late, and then I'll be labeled a plagiarizer. :( I'm just going to have to read my own stuff a jillion times until I'm positive that nothing sounds too familiar. Arrgh.

thethinker42
06-10-2009, 06:55 AM
OMG, KD! So funny you brought that up, because I have the same problem and just caught it in a chapter revision. I ripped off a sentence almost word for word from a Gregory Maguire novel. I could have smacked myself. It was totally unintentional, but it was way bad. Way obvious. I'm glad I caught it, and I'm terrified that there are more unintentional ripoffs scattered throughout my writing that nobody will catch until it's too late, and then I'll be labeled a plagiarizer. :( I'm just going to have to read my own stuff a jillion times until I'm positive that nothing sounds too familiar. Arrgh.

I've done that!! Actually, I accidentally wrote some song lyrics into a character's dialogue. Didn't even occur to me that I'd heard them in a song, it just sounded like what he would say. It wasn't until I read it over later that I realized it. Oops. FIXED!!!

The Lonely One
06-10-2009, 06:58 AM

You're not supposed to rip off the books you read? Huh. I knew I was doing SOMETHING wrong.

KD_Kilker
06-11-2009, 06:16 AM
Like the chick who wrote the Opal Mehta books, or whatever they're called? If her claims are genuine, anyway. There's just one sentence that really sticks out in my WIP: "I immediately identified the voice as Leon's."

I'm pretty sure that I'd read almost the exact same sentence in a William Sleater novel.

Every time I'm reminded of the audience, I get shivers. They seem so... so...

Vicious.

Rawr.

dgrintalis
06-11-2009, 06:21 AM
I love the fact that my own writing gives me nightmares. Frequently. I know nightmares aren't something most people would be happy about, but I'm a little odd and I write dark tales, so there you have it. ;)

KTC
06-11-2009, 06:24 AM
i dialogue well

The Lonely One
06-11-2009, 06:52 AM
i dialogue well

You're also pretty good at verbing nouns.

KTC
06-11-2009, 06:53 AM
You're also pretty good at verbing nouns.
i write more better?

Libbie
06-13-2009, 05:43 PM
New favorite thing about myself. I've been trying to allow myself more artistic expression with my writing, so it's not all dry storytelling. Last night I wrote 5000 fabulous words that I felt were positively delicious. Just the right combination of plot and prettiness. I'm feeling stoked; I feel like I've finally found my voice.

Libbie
06-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Like the chick who wrote the Opal Mehta books, or whatever they're called? If her claims are genuine, anyway. There's just one sentence that really sticks out in my WIP: "I immediately identified the voice as Leon's."

I'm pretty sure that I'd read almost the exact same sentence in a William Sleater novel.

Every time I'm reminded of the audience, I get shivers. They seem so... so...

Vicious.

Rawr.

Exactly. After I had my little episode, I sympathized with her.

And yeah, the audience is crazy vicious. I read an article about her recently and the article claimed plagiarizing a character. A character who had a scar on his hand. That was the only similarity the article gave between hers and another author's character. Um, hello. Author A does not have a creative monopoly on men with scars on their hands.

The scene in the cafe drinking Coke, okay. That was too close for comfort. But nit-picking for anything in her book that is even kinda sorta like anything else that's ever been written...gimme a break.

wannawrite
06-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Okay. Can I change my favorite thing? 'Cause it WAS my strong sense of discipline, but I've sucked at that this week, so today my favorite thing about me is my toes. I just painted them, and they are lovely. Doesn't have much to do with writing, but I don't care, right now. Which is yet another indicator of my lack of discipline, come to think of it...

Sean D. Schaffer
06-13-2009, 07:00 PM

I like the fact that I'm always learning something new.... even from old manuscripts. For instance, I'm learning that I can make an old story live again even after fouling it up royally six years ago. I feel good, knowing that I'm affecting a change in my story and in my own life that will lead me out of the creative slump I've been suffering through for the last several years, and will get me back on the path I was traveling before all this occurred.

ETA:

And this marks my 3,500th post! :hooray:

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 07:03 PM

I've done that!! Actually, I accidentally wrote some song lyrics into a character's dialogue. Didn't even occur to me that I'd heard them in a song, it just sounded like what he would say. It wasn't until I read it over later that I realized it. Oops. FIXED!!!

Did you guys ever know that you're my heroes and everything I would like to be?

Elidibus
06-15-2009, 01:40 PM
I love my dialogue. My work is very menial, so I spend seven to ten hours a night holding conversations between my characters in my head. Turn on my iPod and after a little while, my characters begin talking to each other. Really helps me to get to know them.

I also write some kick ass fight scenes. Not necessarily "action" scenes. But fighting. Hand to hand. Martial arts. Swords. Cool things :-)

But we'll just see how good this is once my story is ready for the SYW area. I'm dreading that what I write is woefully mediocre. Hopefully not, though.

penny manning
07-02-2009, 02:55 AM
My favorite thing about my writing is my use of dialogue. And the thing I like most about me as a writer, is that I'm willing to rewrite a scene. Even if that means cutting my wonderful (cough, cough) internal narratives to the quick.

Of course, I refuse to change certain plot-related material. In those cases, I claim writer knows best as an excuse. LOL.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
07-02-2009, 03:37 AM
Apparently I can make my characters suffer well. In fact so well, my friend has nicknamed me Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan because I torment them so. What can I say, it's fun :)

ccv707
07-02-2009, 06:32 AM
I suppose my ability to juggle several (sometimes dozens) of characters at the same time, many of whom are completely different from myself in personality and ideology, while keeping them consistent within themselves. At least, this what my betas have told me.

Also, I've been told I do well with balancing the slower, more deliberately paced sequences with the faster, more action-oriented ones.

Personally, though, I take pride in my dialogue.

blacbird
07-02-2009, 07:16 AM
I'm six feet tall, was once a high-jumper, and used to be able to dunk a basketball. That was before the knee cartilage turned to tofu.

Oh . . . we're talking about writing. Okay. I do dialogue pretty well, and am a good, brutal editor, of my own stuff and of others'. The latter doesn't always make me popular.

caw

C.bronco
07-02-2009, 07:28 AM
I like that I crack myself up, and can start laughing while typing. Whether it's good or not, it certainly entertains me!
I like getting into the worlds I've created, and watching my little people take charge of themselves, become their own people, and do things I hadn't planned.
I like that I have created worlds.

Salis
07-02-2009, 07:57 AM
I have a penis!

Let me try again.

I have good diction.

Fuck. This is hard.

Uhm. I know the alphabet.

blacbird
07-02-2009, 08:05 AM
I like that I have created worlds.

Don't get cocky. Trust me, it doesn't always turn out so well. First I made trilobites, but all they did was crawl around real slow on the ocean floor, and it got boring. Then I got a little more ambitious, and tried dinosaurs. Fuckers ate everything, no matter how often I redesigned them. Then, mammoths and saber-tooth cats. Big teeth, yeah, but slow, and cumbersome. So I buried 'em under ice.

Now I'm working on humans, the sentient intelligence thing . . . We'll see.

caw

LilliCray
07-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Don't get cocky. Trust me, it doesn't always turn out so well. First I made trilobites, but all they did was crawl around real slow on the ocean floor, and it got boring. Then I got a little more ambitious, and tried dinosaurs. Fuckers ate everything, no matter how often I redesigned them. Then, mammoths and saber-tooth cats. Big teeth, yeah, but slow, and cumbersome. So I buried 'em under ice.

caw
:roll:

I like my characters. I always feel like they're 3d, well fleshed-out, etc., etc. Whether or not they actually are is anyone's guess, but... that's not the point. :D

I like that I can still type, even though my left index finger is exploding in pain from where I banged it with a hammer yesterday. Clicheness--I've got it.

DMarie84
07-02-2009, 10:15 PM
I write dialogue moderately well. I think I'm also fairly good at the historical research aspect, but I'm still learning and still working on getting better (in both areas!).

Fulk
07-04-2009, 06:26 AM

caw

I'm not so sure how well that's going to work out. First they were making clubs and clubbing each other. Then they made swords and started sticking them in each other. Then they figured out cannons. It's getting worse and worse, I tell you.

As for what I like? I think I am capable of making pretty good characters. Letting them properly express themselves on the page is something that is taking some practice, especially since I believe my dialogue is crummy.

scarletpeaches
07-04-2009, 11:03 AM
I know I speak for tt42 as well when I say, "Easter eggs."

That is all. :D

Cassiopeia
07-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I've been told I make cliche, new. I don't think I like that even if they meant it. ;)

I like my realistic dialog and my ability to bring my readers into the scene.

Caramia
07-04-2009, 01:06 PM
I like that I don't censor my characters. If one wants to think some taboo thought, I let em. If one wants to light up a smoke or sneak a drink, I let em. If one wishes to spend a moment fawning over the devilishly handsome bad guy (before quickly considering how she will kill him), I let em.

I love my cast :)