PDA

View Full Version : Ok......I need drugs!

EgyptianGoddess
06-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Seriously. Today I got a rejection email that really bothered me, which is silly, because I have 6 fulls out there (by request)....so someone who asked for the first TWO CHAPTERS a few days ago via snail mail, sends me an email today that said:

"I read what you sent me and I don't believe any editor will feel compelled to publish it and since today's market is so awfully tough, that's the standard projects must meet -- and exceed.

But this is just one person's opinion, so please don't accept it as the final word. Best wishes for better luck elsewhere."

Wow, harsh, eh? Basically he said it sucks and good luck with that.

Amazing how just 2 days ago, a different agent read my first THREE Chapters (after requesting them) and said they had really held her interest and she wanted to read the entire book.

I think I have a headache...sigh.

Perks
06-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Wow. Ouch.

I'm sorry that happened to you. Hopefully, you'll hear something positive from one of the others - and soon - to take the sting out of that editorial comment.

But an aspirin, or a Vicodin, couldn't hurt..

scarletpeaches
06-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Wow. Ouch.

Just as Perks said.

Because they don't like it no-one will?

Um...no.

I don't have many drugs here but you can share my sweets. Candy, for the benefit of all you Americans.

Perks
06-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Oh! I'll share sweets too. I've just discovered dark-chocolate covered marzipan. I will weight 200lbs by the solstice.

Holy crap, I've never known such tastebud joy.

Calla Lily
06-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Ouch is right. You might want to print that one out and torch it, just for the satisfaction.

It only takes one, EgyptianGoddess. Good luck with ALL THOSE FULLS out there. (Note the emphasis. :))

CaroGirl
06-05-2009, 05:01 PM
That comment was unnecessary. Discard it immediately without prejudice.

Manix
06-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Yeah, chocolate, especially dark chocolate has been proven to cure most of the worlds ills. (Okay, maybe not most, but it's right up there) Sorry to hear about your rejection. Good luck with the fulls!

EgyptianGoddess
06-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks you guys. I really thought it was very harsh.....and for someone else who might not really believe in their work, that could have really crushed someone.

I'm glad it wasn't just me over reacting. I just want to spit on him now...lol

ink wench
06-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Ouch. Flip off that email and move on! I had an agent tell me my MS wouldn't get anywhere because anything in my genre had to be truly outstanding to succeed today (apparently, my MS wasn't). Um... yeah. The other agents who read chapters and requested the full obviously disagreed. It's amazing how some people think their opinion is the ONLY opinion!

Good luck on your fulls!

Red-Green
06-05-2009, 05:34 PM
I wonder if this agent has any idea how hurtful a poorly worded rejection can be? Delete and move on!

IHeartWriting
06-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Ouch!

I know it's tough, but try to focus on the positive. It is just one person's opinion (okay one mean-spirited s.o.b. -- but he's just one...)

zanizh
06-05-2009, 05:49 PM
These rejections come from people who go through hundreds or thousands of submissions a week. Perhaps they are harsh because they are frustrated... or they've been watching too much American Idol. For whatever reason, there was no call for that. I got a rejection like that a few weeks ago. The editing staff of a magazine said that my story was unbelievable, unrealistic, rubbish, and needed more proofreading. This is a story that won first place in a writing competition. The rejection was hurtful but at the same time I was confused as to how they could hate it so much and another group love it. Oh, well. Pick it back up and try again.

I think some editors need a coarse on tact. It's just cold-hearted to say stuff like that to a writer when they have to know that opinions are subjective.

sheadakota
06-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Wow! That was totally uncalled for! Chocolate and wine- repeat as needed- delete that e-mail and good luck with those fulls! (6! Thats freaking fantastic)

EgyptianGoddess
06-05-2009, 06:19 PM
......6! Thats freaking fantastic

<beam> Thanks! And several partials too, I might add...they're all requests from my query letter. So I know that my book (and series...crime/mystery) will find an agent and a home.

I've had tons of rejections (and Im not counting them until my book is sold so I won't get depressed), and it's only lately I'm suddenly getting these requests for the fulls and partials....but it's all a learning process.

It was silly to let him hurt my feelings.:Shrug: Thank you guys for all the kind words, I feel tons better now:)

justme
06-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Sounds similar to a rejection I received last year. Wonder if it's the same guy? He told me my book would never sell. The book sold this week. I wish I could send him a copy when it comes out. lol.

Just remember you have six full requests and it only takes one.

Karen Duvall
06-05-2009, 06:30 PM
That was a horribly worded rejection and completely uncalled for. Agent Fail. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest that agent's armpits! I once had an agent tell me to google urban fantasy because I obviously don't know what it is. :rant: Well, phooey on her! I got an agent in spite of my *cough* lack of knowledge *cough* and she's now subbing both my outside-the-box urban fantasies.

Branwyn
06-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Drugs?? I need drugs too.

You have all those fulls and partials--phooey on this person. You'll have the last laugh.

Amarie
06-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Count yourself lucky. If this person is a such a jerk in an email, you can bet that's what they are like in real life. Good luck with all your fulls out there!

scarletpeaches
06-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Count yourself lucky. If this person is a such a jerk in an email, you can bet that's what they are like in real life. Good luck with all your fulls out there!

Good point.

You've saved yourself the bother of working with this person by finding out now what they're like.

EgyptianGoddess
06-05-2009, 06:49 PM
You might want to check out my post about a negative response from Leucrota Press. It caught me in a crossfire that I am still ducking.

What post and what happened? Crossfire??

I didn't name this agent or the agency (it's a well known agency, btw)....I didn't want any crap to deal with if I did, so I refrained.

When <notice the confidence!> my book is published, and he's still around, I'm gonna send him a copy along with a copy of his email:D

EgyptianGoddess
06-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks to ALL of you for the lovely posts. I really do feel much better now. I actually had tears in my eyes when I read his email.

So nuts to him <spitting> lol

Tasmin21
06-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Just remember that one person's trash is another's treasure, and it's SO subjective.

When I was querying, I had one agent tell me she loved the character, hated the plot. Had another tell me he loved the plot, thought the character was weak. Found another agent that loved it all, and it'll be published by Roc next summer. ;)

EgyptianGoddess
06-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Just remember that one person's trash is another's treasure, and it's SO subjective.

When I was querying, I had one agent tell me she loved the character, hated the plot. Had another tell me he loved the plot, thought the character was weak. Found another agent that loved it all, and it'll be published by Roc next summer. ;)

WTG! See, that's why I love the people in this forum so much. We all help each other keep our chins up and our eyes on the prize.

I can't thank you all enough, I was really ready to cry when I read that email and got very upset about it....then gave myself a lecture about not being a big baby and just letting it go. But honestly, posting here really made me feel tons better and find my ole sassy self again really fast! I'm glad I posted and didn't just crawl back to bed and pull the covers over my head!!

Toothpaste
06-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Your chin has already be raised, but let me tell you yet another tale. I had just signed with my agent when I got a rejection from another one who told me quite bluntly my work was too old fashioned for the market.

Now I didn't get quite the harsh wording you did with the "any", but still, it stung. And then of course I remembered I had just signed with an awesome agency, and I laughed.

This business is stupidly subjective. And remember, all you need is one yes!

colealpaugh
06-06-2009, 02:45 PM
I think the agent is my ex-wife. Ya know, some days she just NEEDS to make people feel bad.

Bitch.

Chin up. So the f*ck what?

EgyptianGoddess
06-07-2009, 12:48 AM
I think the agent is my ex-wife. Ya know, some days she just NEEDS to make people feel bad.

Bitch.

Chin up. So the f*ck what?

hahahahahaha!!

Actually, it was a man.

But thanks for the laugh:D

WendyNYC
06-07-2009, 12:58 AM
Oh wow. That's just rude. When I was querying, I once got 2 replies within 5 minutes of each other. One said something along the lines of "Sorry, this isn't saleable" and the other said "I LOVE this premise. Please send the full ASAP!!"

So. Different strokes.

Good luck with your fulls.

Laura Lond
06-07-2009, 06:44 AM
So basically that agent has admitted that he does not know any editors to submit your work to. Haha! :) Obviously, at least 6 other agents do have some editors / publishers in mind for it.