PDA

View Full Version : So You Think You Can Dance!!!!

Writer2011
06-05-2009, 10:19 AM
So You Think You Can Dance is one of my favorite shows since it's on during the summer. New television is always a good thing. Does anyone else watch this? To me it's much better than AI (American Idol). I'd like to know what your take is and once it gets going, I'd love to hear your favorite dancers.

som1luvsmi
06-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Yay!!!!! I LOVE this show! I wish American Idol would replace Ryan Seacrest with Cat Deely.

So, to get right to it, how could they cut Natalie(the roomate of Katie from last year)? They didn't even let her dance for her life?!? What's up with that?

Writer2011
06-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Oh I totally agree...she's much more lively and the guys like her :D But she has a lot of personality that's for sure. Why they cut Natalie? Sometimes I wonder why they cut who they do---maybe they see potential???

AmandaAcidic
06-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I love this show. I'm glad I'm not only. It's weird that I like it though since I hate American Idol so much. Cannot stand that show.

It might help that Cat Deely is so adorable.

I don't remember who Natalie was but what about the two brothers who one made into the top twenty and one didn't? The one I liked made it through. Anyone else have a take on this?

som1luvsmi
06-05-2009, 07:23 PM
I love those brothers! I was really hoping that both would make it, but I actually liked the older brother more. He seemed like he had more personality and a little more talent, especially given the fact that he is obviously a very talented choreographer. But I think that the younger brother was a little sharper with his movements, which seem to be a prerequisite for moving on.

Did anyone else notice that there didn't seem to be a female hip-hop dancer moving on to the top twenty?
Or did I just miss it?

JanDarby
06-05-2009, 08:22 PM
I like the way they focus less on the really bad auditions (with a few exceptions that I just change channels during) and more on the really good ones, or the ones that have potential, even if they're flawed.

OTOH, this is the first year when I didn't have a real favorite from the beginning. I like the brothers and the popper and the really tall guy, but none of them really captured me the way Twitch and Joshua did from the beginning of the last season, and Danny and (oh, heck, forget her name, the woman who actually won that year and was such a little dynamo) the season before. It's early still, so I'm looking forward to seeing the personalities come out, and seeig what they can do.

JD

som1luvsmi
06-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Her name was Sabra. (I looked it up because I couldn't remember either.) :)

MissKris
06-05-2009, 08:42 PM
I like this show - and I avoid these types of shows like the plague. Maybe this one is an exception because there simply is no way to fool the judges or viewers re: talent. You simply have to have it. And training, too. Years of it. So the contestants are really invested in their craft and that's really refreshing.

I agree that I haven't picked a favorite yet, but it feels like I've only been really introduced to 5 or 6 of the final 20. The rest have hardly been featured. I can't wait to see them dance next week!

donroc
06-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Love the show too.

So many talented did not make it but came close, a metaphor for having writing rejected as well.

Sex is the Hong of SYTYCD auditions.

Writer2011
06-05-2009, 10:13 PM
When it came on a few years ago I really, really liked it. Didn't think I was going to but boy, oh boy did I ever. And I do like the fact they focus on the really, really good auditions..of course you have to have the bad ones too. Who remembers that guy "Sex" who has been on the show every year!!! Well they gave him a chance at choreography just to prove he's not that good...I mean at least they gave the poor guy a chance :)

I'm glad I started this thread too!! Let's keep it going.

Writer2011
06-05-2009, 10:14 PM
I like this show - and I avoid these types of shows like the plague. Maybe this one is an exception because there simply is no way to fool the judges or viewers re: talent. You simply have to have it. And training, too. Years of it. So the contestants are really invested in their craft and that's really refreshing.

I agree that I haven't picked a favorite yet, but it feels like I've only been really introduced to 5 or 6 of the final 20. The rest have hardly been featured. I can't wait to see them dance next week!

It's an awesome show :)

ChunkyC
06-05-2009, 11:00 PM
My wife and I have been watching it since its debut. Last year the Canadian edition had its first season and we watched it too.

We think it's great for the reasons posted above, primarily that they focus more on the positive. What I really don't like about shows like American Idol and others is the negativity. Calling contestants 'losers' just because they don't happen to have the particular type of talent a judge is looking for? Yeah, Cowell, I'm talking about you, you insensitive dillhole.

One of the finest moments in this season of SYTYCD was when Nigel turned to Tice and told him to stop being mean to the dancers. I nearly stood and applauded in my living room. That moment right there epitomizes why this show is so good. They don't deliberately emotionally eviscerate these young kids just for ratings. Heck, just being told no is enough to devastate them, and Nigel and crew understand that.

Kudos to SYTYCD for putting such a fine show on the air. :)

Writer2011
06-05-2009, 11:13 PM
I really like Nigel!! He has so much compassion. Especially when the 17 year old danced...he gave him a ticket STRAIGHT to Vegas week next year if he comes back. And when the girl during Vegas week hurt her ankle and couldn't dance..Nigel was going to let her come back to the same point but she had a baby, which is fine. Still he cares about the contestants.

And you're right, Simon can be so rude to some of the contestants...he picks someone early on and likes them no matter how bad they are. I mean come on, there are singers out there a LOT worse than what's on AI!!!

AmandaAcidic
06-06-2009, 02:48 AM
When it came on a few years ago I really, really liked it. Didn't think I was going to but boy, oh boy did I ever. And I do like the fact they focus on the really, really good auditions..of course you have to have the bad ones too. Who remembers that guy "Sex" who has been on the show every year!!! Well they gave him a chance at choreography just to prove he's not that good...I mean at least they gave the poor guy a chance :)

I'm glad I started this thread too!! Let's keep it going.

I really, really hope Sex stops coming back. I cannot stand that guy.

As for favorites, I do have a favorite guy (the brother who made it through) but none of the girls stood out at all. I can't even really remember any of them.

som1luvsmi
06-06-2009, 03:06 AM
I can't wait for that 17yr. old guy to be on next year. He lives in the next city over, about a mile away from me. There's nothing like rooting for a person from your neck of the woods. :)

Writer2011
06-06-2009, 06:31 AM

As for favorites, I do have a favorite guy (the brother who made it through) but none of the girls stood out at all. I can't even really remember any of them.

I don't have a clear cut favorite yet...I should soon. But if I could pick anyone it's the one half of the brothers...can't remember his name right off hand but he's good.

Writer2011
06-06-2009, 06:32 AM
I can't wait for that 17yr. old guy to be on next year. He lives in the next city over, about a mile away from me. There's nothing like rooting for a person from your neck of the woods. :)

It's too sad he wasn't old enough b/c he would have easily made the top 20

AmandaAcidic
06-07-2009, 06:24 AM
I don't have a clear cut favorite yet...I should soon. But if I could pick anyone it's the one half of the brothers...can't remember his name right off hand but he's good.

Evan. I couldn't remember it either so I went and looked it up. :tongue

Writer2011
06-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Evan. I couldn't remember it either so I went and looked it up. :tongue

Ah!!! Thank you. I liked them both to be honest.

MissKris
06-07-2009, 10:02 AM
I remember the brothers and I remember Tony, who got alot of feedback for being . . . tall? Am I remembering that correctly? Anyway, one non-dance related thing that really got me down was Kupono. I thought his style was great - and not at all feminine. But there def. was some mellow Hawai'ian feel to it. Loved that. Aaaaannd, LOVED his hair! Which hair Nazi made him cut it off? Grrrr.

AmandaAcidic
06-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Me too but Evan was better. It probably had a lot to do with his brother's choreography. I wish both would have been able to go through though.

Writer2011
06-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Which one was Kupono? They're all running together now :) And I caught the tail end of the top 20 show too...was at a meeting and got home late. But I love, love, love this show!!! Can't wait until they actually start dancing.

MissKris
06-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Kupono was the Hawai'ian dancer they kept making repeat his name over and over again. He originally came on with the sides and back of his head shaved and this great long, floppy hair on the top. His style is contemporary. He also was the one who made the list of things to do, at the bottom of which was "make the top 20." *shrug* I agree, at this stage it's hard to separate the dancers. Probably next week it will be easier.

AmandaAcidic
06-07-2009, 10:15 AM
I hear ya. 20 is too many people to remember. Haha.

Kupono was this guy:
http://fox.com/blogs/dance/files/2009/06/sytycd_01-kupono_0044_lyf-150x150.jpg

Wasn't he the one who started out with weird hair but shaved it off for the judges? Or was that someone else?

Writer2011
06-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Thank you Amanda and Kris!!! I remember him now but didn't recognize him w/o all the hair missing. I can't wait until next week when the dancing starts..that's my favorite. Well the auditions are too. :)

daehedr
06-08-2009, 07:37 PM
So what is wrong with Brandon why does Mia find him so offensive? I was staggered the first audition when I saw him and even hubby said "holy sh-t" that guy can dance" and my hubby doesn't know the first thing about dancing and he is loving the show.

Alpha Echo
06-08-2009, 07:40 PM
I LOVE this show! I used to dance...though I never got as good as these guys! I was so sad when they split the brothers up. I hope they didn't do it just for the ratings, ya know?

AmandaAcidic
06-08-2009, 07:59 PM
I LOVE this show! I used to dance...though I never got as good as these guys! I was so sad when they split the brothers up. I hope they didn't do it just for the ratings, ya know?

Agreed.

Part of me thinks the Mia having such a problem with Brandon was for ratings and to create some drama.

Writer2011
06-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Mia is crazy..but also knows her stuff. Still though :)

ChunkyC
06-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Mia is crazy..but also knows her stuff. Still though :)
Yes indeed. Mia is very strange, but talented as all get-out.

If there's anything about the show I actually don't like, it's Mary's 'hot tamale train' schtick with the screaming and that wacky laugh of hers. Mind you, a person's laugh is what it is, and as long as it's honest, I can deal with it. But the screaming just grates on my nerves.

som1luvsmi
06-09-2009, 05:19 AM
You know, I actually watch this show for two reasons.

1. I LOVE the dancing!

2. I love the music that the contestants audition to and that the top twenty dance to. I found a website (http://www.puresytycd.com/) that lists all the songs that they play. I've found quite a few gems by watching the show. :)

Writer2011
06-09-2009, 07:04 AM
You know, I actually watch this show for two reasons.

1. I LOVE the dancing!

2. I love the music that the contestants audition to and that the top twenty dance to. I found a website (http://www.puresytycd.com/) that lists all the songs that they play. I've found quite a few gems by watching the show. :)

Oh I LOVE the dancing...if I could only dance like that. I mean I really can't dance but hey, one can dream right :)

MissKris
06-09-2009, 07:20 AM
Ooo, good find!

Writer2011
06-09-2009, 07:34 AM
When does it come on again? Wednesday or Thursday :) I think we need to have a viewing party :)

K. Taylor
06-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I'll agree that Mary is too loud!!

Writer2011
06-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I'll agree that Mary is too loud!!

She is loud but rather fun :) I still like her. Oh and welcome to the thread!!!

som1luvsmi
06-09-2009, 09:10 AM
When does it come on again? Wednesday or Thursday :) I think we need to have a viewing party :)

Let me check the DVR...that would be Wednesday AND Thursday. YAY!!!

As much fun as a viewing party might be, I think with all the different time zones it might be kinda difficult.

Now, if someone here could find a way for me to see it three hours ahead of the rest of the west coast...:D

Writer2011
06-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Let me check the DVR...that would be Wednesday AND Thursday. YAY!!!

As much fun as a viewing party might be, I think with all the different time zones it might be kinda difficult.

Now, if someone here could find a way for me to see it three hours ahead of the rest of the west coast...:D

Don't worry..I'll post something on here when it comes on. As for the results...well ummm we'll work something out :)

LorelieBrown
06-11-2009, 12:25 AM
I think the reason most people haven't been able to pick a front-runner favorite is because of the poor production. They made some really bad choices on who to get in depth with and talk to their families and what not. Most of those dancers have been cut already.

I mean, just imagine if we'd done that in our books? Introduce ~20 characters, give us quick backstory, and then cut all but 3? And then introduce 17 NEW people and expect a reader to care. I hope it doesn't bite them in the ass.

Nigel told him this would be the last year he was "allowed" to participate. So even if he shows up again (which is rather sad, if you think about it) I don't think he'll be inflicted on us, at least.

Last year the Canadian edition had its first season and we watched it too.

NICO!!!!!

*wipes drool off mouth*

Ahem.

The Canadian season was done very well.

Writer2011
06-11-2009, 12:42 AM
Lorelie...I have to agree with you..the dancers you DO see are always cut. And the ones you don't remember aren't. AI does that crap too and it bothers the pee out of me. Still it's a good show and I can't wait until tonight. After then I'll have a better idea of who I like. Can't wait.

AmandaAcidic
06-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Yep. Tonight's the night! Woohoo.

Writer2011
06-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Yep. Tonight's the night! Woohoo.

Here come the Hot Tamale Train :) I can't wait to see what Cat is wearing :) Oh...I'm so excited about tonight. I'm sure we'll be talking about it as the show goes on.

AmandaAcidic
06-11-2009, 04:00 AM
Alright it's starting here in PA. Here we go =]

Writer2011
06-11-2009, 05:07 AM
So far I like the first couple...can't remember their names!!! but they were AWESOME!!!

AmandaAcidic
06-11-2009, 05:09 AM
They were my favorite so far. That was Phillip and some girl. I never remember the girls.

Writer2011
06-11-2009, 05:10 AM
That dance with Jason and Kaitlyn...AWESOME...better than the first dance if you ask me!! So far, so good.

AmandaAcidic
06-11-2009, 05:13 AM
It was cool but I just don't really like Kaitlyn.

I really like Tony. He's probably my new favorite followed closely by Evan. But Tony has a great personality and man can he dance.

Writer2011
06-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Agreed...I like Tony...he and Evan are the front runners right now...there are a few others left..so we shall see. On a side note, I notice you like Kim Harrison--she writes some good stuff!!!

AmandaAcidic
06-11-2009, 05:17 AM
Haha. That she does. =]

AmandaAcidic
06-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Okay. The dummy dance was really awkward. Cool. But awkward. I'm not sure if I liked it.

Writer2011
06-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Okay. The dummy dance was really awkward. Cool. But awkward. I'm not sure if I liked it.

Yeah that was just, well, weird but cool too...Both dancers were good though.

AmandaAcidic
06-11-2009, 05:55 AM
Mary is just tooooo loud. I could never work with her if I was them.

Writer2011
06-11-2009, 05:57 AM
Kayla and Max, what I saw was good--feel asleep..and yes Mary is just too loud, but fun in a weird way :)

AmandaAcidic
06-11-2009, 06:02 AM
Alright everyone. It's time. (Well here anyways)

Who are you voting for? Or who would you vote for if you don't actually vote?

I'm voting for Phillip, Evan, and Tony (and whoever their partners were. I'm really bad at remembering the woman)

donroc
06-11-2009, 06:06 AM
There was a British Horror film of several stories in the 1970s, I believe, forgot the title, but in one segment a character has a piercing scream that kills. Mary is damn close.

Great opening night. Too early for me to have a favorite.

Writer2011
06-11-2009, 06:27 AM
Phillip, Evan and Tony hands down!!! All of them are very good!!! The women, well I did like the one who danced first and Caitlin :)

LorelieBrown
06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
My predictions for the bottom 3:

#2 - the silent film dance

#5 - the straight hip hop in red & black costumes

#8 - the Wade Robson dance w/ crash test dummies

Alpha Echo
06-11-2009, 04:55 PM
I loved Melissa the ballerina. And Evan is such a cutie! The numbers each of them did were beautiful. I voted for them.

I like Mary now. I used to be so annoyed, but last night she proved to have a great sense of humor and the ability to laugh at herself when she said she couldn't make a facial expression because of the Botox. I CRACKED UP! My mom and sister and I all watch this show every summer, and we had made comments last summer about how Mary couldn't even smile...and then she made a joke at her own expense. I loved it!

som1luvsmi
06-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Okay. Sorry it took so long to post. I didn't get to watch it 'til 11(pst) and then I went to bed.

Anyways, I thought it was an ok first night. It doesn't compare w/ season 3's first night, though.

I think my favorite was the Bollywood number, which, I'd like to add, I called about four weeks ago after I saw Slumdog Millionaire and heard the song "Jai Ho". :D

My other favorites were the samba at the end, (boy, that couple can MOVE!)and the contemporary routine with the ballerina.

As usual, Mary was really loud an obnoxious, which is really too bad because I really respect her opinion as a dancer and choreographer. It's hard to respect someone that you want to slap and that you keep praying will get a permanent case of laryngitis.

Overall, a decent start to season 5. :D

MissKris
06-11-2009, 07:51 PM

I thought it was a great first night and I agree with this assessment. I'm not sure I loved the foxtrot as much as the judges did, but then, it's the foxtrot. It would suck to get that as a first dance when everyone else gets something fun and exciting.

What always cracks me up is that nobody ever says anything bad about the choreographers (I know, of course not), but there are times when I watch a dance and think, "What was the dancer supposed to do with that crap?" I think Nigel gets the same way and makes very under the radar comments about dances and the dancers. Elusive comments like, "It just wasn't great." I thought the choreography for the second hip hop (with the red and black costumes) SUCKED!

As for the crash test dummies, I really liked it, but I think people will be divided on it. It was bizzare. But cool.

AmandaAcidic
06-11-2009, 08:26 PM

I agree with the first two but I don't know about the crash test thing. They danced so well. The routine was just different.

And I'm going to be very upset if Tony gets the axe. He's my favorite.

LorelieBrown
06-11-2009, 09:16 PM
I agree with the first two but I don't know about the crash test thing. They danced so well. The routine was just different.

I'd agree, but I just don't think viewers/voters are going to be able to connect with it. That's often at least as important as good dancing, if not more so.

LorelieBrown
06-11-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure I loved the foxtrot as much as the judges did, but then, it's the foxtrot.

You know what was my thing about the foxtrot? That *dress.* Somehow, it managed to make her hips look wide as hell, even though she was a teeny little thing.

Writer2011
06-11-2009, 09:46 PM
The "Jai Ho" dance was by far my favorite....:) I didn't like the Silent Film dance at all...kind of boring if you ask me..and the crash test dummy dance---WT# omg...that didn't make any sense *ugh* But yes it was a great first night---and we shall see who's going home. I think it will be Asuka and Ade!! But that's just me.

som1luvsmi
06-11-2009, 11:17 PM
You know, even though the bollywood routine was my fave, I had envisioned it differently.

In my head, it was a second-night group dance, combining hip-hop and bollywood styles and using the Pussy Cat Dolls version of the song. As much as I liked what they did, that routine would have killed.

Oh well. :)

Writer2011
06-11-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm curious as to will go home tonight :) And don't worry, I won't spoil it.

MissKris
06-12-2009, 12:11 AM
I'd agree, but I just don't think viewers/voters are going to be able to connect with it. That's often at least as important as good dancing, if not more so.
QFT. I liked it myself, but was it too off the wall?

You know what was my thing about the foxtrot? That *dress.* Somehow, it managed to make her hips look wide as hell, even though she was a teeny little thing.
ROFL. So funny. There was one lift where her skirt completely covered her partner's upper body and it made him look like a really ugly lamp. I was praying that he would find his way out of the ruffles, poor thing.

JanDarby
06-12-2009, 12:17 AM
I liked the crash test dummies. Probably my favorite bit of the night.

I don't have a favorite couple, though. After each dance, I'd think, "Oh, I just love them, they're going to be my favorite," and then the next one would come along, and I'd love them too. I really didn't DISlike anyone, and there were a few I actively disliked in the past seasons.

JD

Writer2011
06-12-2009, 12:17 AM
MissKris---what did you think of the "Jai Ho" dance? I happened to like it...and the first dance. The crash test dummy dance was okay!!! I thought Kupono did an awesome job!!!

Toothpaste
06-12-2009, 12:47 AM
I thought it was a great first night and I agree with this assessment. I'm not sure I loved the foxtrot as much as the judges did, but then, it's the foxtrot. It would suck to get that as a first dance when everyone else gets something fun and exciting.

I so disagree. I'm always most excited to see the partners do the foxtrot or the two step or the waltz. These dances are some of the hardest to do and yet the ones that need to look the most effortless (not saying the hip hop etc isn't tough too, but the attitude that goes with it is "look how awesome we are", not "oh and I just happened to lift this person in the air as if she were as light as a feather, carry on"). I LOVED the foxtrot, it was beautiful, to me it looked like a heck of a lot of fun personally considering all the lifts etc.

But Evan is my fav. You probably already figured that out, considering my defense of the foxtrot. I have a bit of a thing for musicals . . . and, okay, is it weird that I thought he was very sexy in his routine??

AmandaAcidic
06-12-2009, 03:24 AM
I so disagree. I'm always most excited to see the partners do the foxtrot or the two step or the waltz. These dances are some of the hardest to do and yet the ones that need to look the most effortless (not saying the hip hop etc isn't tough too, but the attitude that goes with it is "look how awesome we are", not "oh and I just happened to lift this person in the air as if she were as light as a feather, carry on"). I LOVED the foxtrot, it was beautiful, to me it looked like a heck of a lot of fun personally considering all the lifts etc.

But Evan is my fav. You probably already figured that out, considering my defense of the foxtrot. I have a bit of a thing for musicals . . . and, okay, is it weird that I thought he was very sexy in his routine??

I liked the foxtrot too. It wasn't my favorite but I thought it was beautiful. And I thought he was sexy doing it too. So, yeah, it's probably weird. :D

MissKris
06-12-2009, 07:49 AM
MissKris---what did you think of the "Jai Ho" dance? I happened to like it...and the first dance. The crash test dummy dance was okay!!! I thought Kupono did an awesome job!!!
Oh, I really liked it, too! It kind of blew me away because I haven't watched ANY Bollywood films (I know) so I didn't know what to expect. It was so cool.

And don't get me wrong - I personally love the fox trot, waltz, et al, but those dances don't seem to do very well when it comes down to the voting. While there may be a large cross section of the US watching (agewise) I would say that the 16-25ish age groups are the ones voting the most. And they tend to go for the higher energy or more modern dances. I'm all over the romance, but, for the dancer's sake, I feel like it's an automatic set-back to get a slower, classic dance right at the beginning. But that's just MHO, of course.

Toothpaste
06-12-2009, 07:59 AM
It is a valid point, but I'm not sure entirely accurate. One of the fav boys tonight, because he was funny and cute, and who also did a hip hop dance, went home tonight, as did his partner. Two out of the bottom three couples did fast fun dances.

So I dunno, maybe the kids are learning along with the rest of us. Because of this show we are becoming more sophisticated in what to look for in dance. Kind of cool really!

LorelieBrown
06-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Well, I called two out of three. I was pretty surprised at Jonathon and partner, but I guess the other spanish dance just blew them out of the water.

My husband said Asuka looked like she should have had a stripper pole during her solo. I dunno, I didn't love it, but I didn't think it was *that* bad.

I personally love the fox trot, waltz, et al, but those dances don't seem to do very well when it comes down to the voting.

Yeah, but how much of that is because 80% of the top 20 are either contemporary or hip hop dancers and they don't have the skills/carriage/bearing to pull it off?

ChunkyC
06-12-2009, 05:02 PM
As usual, Mary was really loud an obnoxious, which is really too bad because I really respect her opinion as a dancer and choreographer. It's hard to respect someone that you want to slap and that you keep praying will get a permanent case of laryngitis.
Bang on. Why does she feel the need to scream all the time? It's the one thing about the show I can't stand. Hasn't anyone told her how annoying it is? It's like she just can't help trying to draw attention to herself, which is a shame because she really is a good judge.

I agree. I thought the foxtrot was gorgeous.

Best dances of the night for me were the Bollywood, Crash-test and the final (samba?) number. But I thought the dancing was fabulous from start to finish. Even the kids who went home were really good, just not at the same level as the rest of them, so I thought the proper two dancers were cut. As someone mentioned above, the routine itself was nothing special and the kids just didn't seem to be able to rise above the choreography to make us notice them when compared to the rest of the dancers.

MissKris
06-12-2009, 07:15 PM
My husband said Asuka looked like she should have had a stripper pole during her solo. I dunno, I didn't love it, but I didn't think it was *that* bad.

Yeah, but how much of that is because 80% of the top 20 are either contemporary or hip hop dancers and they don't have the skills/carriage/bearing to pull it off?
Oh gosh, I thought Asuka looked terrible. To the point where it was uncomfortable to watch her. And I think the reasoning for the judges keeping her - because they need a more well-rounded group of styles - was lame. I can absolutely see that being the case when choosing the top 20, but after that, it should be fair game, styles aside.

You make a good second point and, I don't know. Some of the contem/hip hop dancers rock the ballroom dances (as happened this week) so, I don't know if that flies. In any event, I was surprised that Jonathan and his partner were in the bottom three because their dance, I thought, was hot. I agree that the foxtrot was lovely (dress aside).

And I (and prob. everyone) figured the hip hop couple would go home. They sucked. But I personally thought it was 50% them, 50% cruddy choreography. Really, what were they supposed to do with those steps. Bleh. I was glad the crash test dummy dancers were safe - I still really like Kupono.

LorelieBrown
06-12-2009, 07:25 PM
I still wish Kupono hadn't cut his mohawk. Maybe he could have trimmed it a little. It made him stand out!

MissKris
06-12-2009, 07:28 PM
I still wish Kupono hadn't cut his mohawk. Maybe he could have trimmed it a little. It made him stand out!
QFT. Stupid judges. It wasn't "distracting" at all. Sheesh.

MissKris
06-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Bump. Don't forget to watch tonight! I'll be at a softball game until nine, so I'll be recording the show to watch later :(.

AmandaAcidic
06-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Overall I was unimpressed with tonight's show.

Writer2011
06-18-2009, 06:53 AM
I caught the last 30 minutes or so---was out by the pool here in Fort Lauderdale. What I did see was meh!!! And Mary didn't like anything...oh well. Hopefully next week will be better.

AmandaAcidic
06-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Even Evan didn't do that great. What's with that? Lol.

ChunkyC
06-18-2009, 06:51 PM
There was some good dancing, but yeah, I wasn't blown away like the week before.

And I am just about at the end of my ability to tolerate Mary's incessant stridency and screaming, and this repetitiveness in her comments that make her sound like she's praising a dog for pooping on the paper:

"You're a great dancer, yes you are! That was wonderful, yes it was!"

GAAAAH!

Alpha Echo
06-18-2009, 06:55 PM
And I am just about at the end of my ability to tolerate Mary's incessant stridency and screaming, and this repetitiveness in her comments that make her sound like she's praising a dog for pooping on the paper:

"You're a great dancer, yes you are! That was wonderful, yes it was!"

GAAAAH!

Haha! At least you don't have to sit next to her like the other judges!

I didn't give my full attention to it last night, but from what I saw, I thought it was decent. Maybe not as good as the first week, but still good.

JanDarby
06-18-2009, 10:07 PM
I wasn't wild about any of the choreography. Not sure if it was the dancers or the choreography itself. I just didn't get any of them, and I really didn't get the one that had everyone on the panel in tears.

JD

MissKris
06-19-2009, 01:13 AM
I wasn't wild about any of the choreography. Not sure if it was the dancers or the choreography itself. I just didn't get any of them, and I really didn't get the one that had everyone on the panel in tears.

JD
Do you mean the contemporary with Jonathan? (I think that was the one they were all crying about) I agree - I thought it was lovely, really lovely. But earth-shattering/tears inducing? Uh, no.

I'm becoming quite irritated with the hip hop dances so far this season. The choreography is dreadfully uninspired. Jason, though, was totally cute in his routine.

Oh, poor Phillip and his stiff tango. It was painful to watch - and he's such a personable guy.

Kayla (in that way-cool parrot-like dress) was amazing.

The jive was fun (haha) - Evan did a good job with it. The rest of the night was . . . meh.

seaaircarol
06-19-2009, 04:51 AM
Okay, so it wasn't just me? Usually I love this show, but I didn't think last night was all that good.

AmandaAcidic
06-19-2009, 05:56 AM
I need someone to tell me who was cut. I don't get to see the cut shows cause of my dad. He watches something then. =[

Writer2011
06-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Same goes for me---we were at dinner and totally missed it..oh well :)

MissKris
06-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Ashley went home and I think she deserved to go home this week.

Max also went home, and I'm not thrilled about that choice at all.

I can't believe Max and Kayla were in the bottom three. What the heck?

JanDarby
06-19-2009, 06:35 PM
It was the waltz, I think, that I was referring to. The one where the male dancer said something about how they choreographed his life, and the judges kept saying they could really feel the emotion, and Lithgoe said anyone who didn't feel it had to be heartless. So, apparently I'm heartless.

Anyway.

Is it just me, or does the frenetic camerawork during the opening group number ruin it for anyone else? I like Mia Michaels' stuff usually, but I have no clue what was happening in the opening number, b/c the camera was jumping around every nano-second, sometimes tilted, sometimes wide, sometimes close-up (and the lights didn't help either), but always moving around, so I couldn't get the big picture, and they didn't stay on a close-up long enough to get the little picture either! I noticed it last week, and figured it was just a one-time deal, but the same thing happened this week.

JD

MissKris
06-25-2009, 09:03 AM
I loved: The Viennese Waltz - sooo lovely!
Ade and Melissa - my goodness the two of them are sultry. And I love how her maturity boosts her confidence.
Kupono and Kayla - they are a beautiful pair. I honestly though he should have gone home last week, but this week he was great. And she is still my fave.

The blehs: Phillip, again. He's such a great guy, but he's out of his league.
The pasa doble - All the passion was in the music. The partners barely even looked at each other. It was like they were jerking around for no good reason.
Hip hop. Again.

LorelieBrown
06-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Lithgoe said anyone who didn't feel it had to be heartless. So, apparently I'm heartless.

After Nigel said that, I looked down at the two year old in my lap and said, "Apparently your mommy's a heartless witch." Didn't appreciate it at all.

Last night, I actually missed the first hour because a small human being who claims he is my child turned off my DVR timer. No child of *mine* would cancel SYTYCD....

Did I miss anything really spectacular that I must find a way to see?

ChunkyC
06-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Eh ... there were some good moments, but overall it was just okay, I think. The waltz was beautifully done and the best of the evening, imo, but that was towards the end, so you probably caught that. The rhumba with Melissa and Ade was smokin' hot, not sure if you caught that one.

My wife started timing Mary and for the most part, she spoke longer after each dance than both Nigel and Toni combined. Good grief, that woman loves the sound of her own voice. We've begun muting her because we just can't stand listening to her anymore.

LorelieBrown
06-25-2009, 06:53 PM
No, didn't see the rhumba.

i totally agree about Mary. My husband does count downs 'til she screams. He can usually guess one pretty accurately, & I get to press mute. :)

Toothpaste
06-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Okay so I'm the only one who adored the "bum" dance? Okay okay okay, I am an Evan fan, but even I could admit his Jive was a little off last week. I seriously loved this week's dance, and I was worried because all the bum stuff in the video before hand seemed stupid. But it was so classy, so witty, and again, oddly sexy. Randi is so cute just when she's being herself, but on stage she's this little sexy firecracker, and I swear Evan is the only guy in the show who could make that choreography, that costume, his height and slightly doughy appearance, all of it . . . hot.

Anyway, I loved the waltz as well (I'd stand up and cheer Nigel so ha!), and the rhumba, but other than that, the rest of the dances were eh.

Smish
06-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Yep, Toothpaste, I liked the "bum" dance as well. It suited the dancers. They're both adorable, aren't they? :)

And to everyone who thinks Mary is obnoxious... right there with you. I fast-forward through her talking bits.

:)Smish

JanDarby
06-25-2009, 11:19 PM
I liked the bum dance too.

I start thinking it's all about the choreography and they lucked out getting such a fun piece (although I like Evan too, and am rooting for him to do well), and the choreography is a large part of why I liked it, but then I think about the broadway number, and it could have been a lot of fun with the right couple, but it didn't work for me (although I like the guy, but he just didn't have the skills/confidence/something), so it's got to be the combination of the choreography AND the dancers.

Oh, but I don't mind Mary, noisy as she is, as much as this week's guest judge, who is just too preciously precocious for me.

JD

ChunkyC
06-26-2009, 12:11 AM
The bum dance was good, yes it was! *aaargh, I've caught Maryitis!*

Oh, but I don't mind Mary, noisy as she is, as much as this week's guest judge, who is just too preciously precocious for me.

JD
I quite like Toni Basil. She isn't nearly as hard to watch as Lil C with his stream of incomprehensible gibberish. Actually, when you get right down to it, though none of the other judges bug the ever-livin' snot out of me the way Mary does, Nigel is about the only one I genuinely look forward to hearing from.

JanDarby
06-26-2009, 12:57 AM
I guess that's what makes the world go round -- I'd rather listen to the vocabulary-abusing gibberish than what feels like faux emotion to me.

Of course, I'm a tad cranky from all the rain in the northeast. Even Nigel was bugging me a bit last night (with the "but" joke, which stopped being amusing before he stopped using it), but usually, yeah, he's the one I'm interested in hearing a verdict from, although I do appreciate Mary's input for the ballroom stuff, when she's talking about technique.

JD

AuburnAssassin
06-27-2009, 04:24 AM
I guess I'm in the minority because Mary makes me laugh. Nigel kind of give me the heeby-jeebies with those big capped teeth of his. But I'm another heartless one too.

I'm glad Oscar (I know that's not how it's spelled but that's how it always sounds) went home. I thought she should have preceded Ashley.

They need to 86 Lil C as a judge and Shane Sparks as a choreographer. I liked Shane in past seasons but he's either spread too thin or his stuff is getting stale. I'm getting a bit weary of Doriana Sanchez too. Give me Wade, Mia, Sonya (I wouldn't have said this last year but she's better this year so far), the guest choreographer from SYTYCD-Canada, the new ballroom hunky dude who sounds foreign like he's Dutch or something and the husband and his Sydney Bristow red-haired wife and I'm good.

Another booty dance fan here too. I like Evan and Randi together. Evan doesn't jump, he floats.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Kayla and Kupono will continue to do together. They are both very elegant looking dancers though Kayla doesn't do as well on the solos for some reason. She loses her balance a bit.

I love this show!

som1luvsmi
06-27-2009, 05:50 AM
They need to 86 Lil C as a judge and Shane Sparks as a choreographer. I liked Shane in past seasons but he's either spread too thin or his stuff is getting stale. I'm getting a bit weary of Doriana Sanchez too. Give me Wade, Mia, Sonya (I wouldn't have said this last year but she's better this year so far), the guest choreographer from SYTYCD-Canada, the new ballroom hunky dude who sounds foreign like he's Dutch or something and the husband and his Sydney Bristow red-haired wife and I'm good.

Totally agree with this. I usually love Shane Sparks, but his routines seem to be missing something this season.
I don't like this week's Toni as a judge either. She just bugs me.

Another booty dance fan here too. I like Evan and Randi together. Evan doesn't jump, he floats.

I said the EXACT same thing about Evan floating, to my hubby when we were watching! He's just so effortless. He truly does remind me of Gene Kelly.

donroc
06-27-2009, 06:11 AM
Agree about Mia's choreography and Evan. Highlight of the night. I am a traditionalist when it comes to certain music, and I want pasodobles danced to authentic bullfight/Spanish music -- same goes for rumba, samba, tango, and salsa and their great national music.

AmandaAcidic
07-02-2009, 05:30 AM
Is it me or is Mary a lot more tolerable tonight?

AuburnAssassin
07-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Mary was a little more subdued. Nigel was actually rather entertaining. Mia was a bit full of herself at times.

I thought it was a pretty good show, performance wise. I always like the quick step even though all the SYTYCD people say it's the worst style to draw. Vitolio did surprisingly well.

Hated Sonya's dance and wasn't fond of the alien mating dance either nor the broadway routine. Liked Nappy-Tab's routine (though Mia was absolutely right about the chain being distracting) and both of Jean-Marc's--that's all choreo-wise. The dancers did well with what they were given.

So did the naughty ballerina "draw" the pas de deux? I think not.

Jeanette (name?--the first gal from Miami) is my new fave.

Prediction for the boot? Karina (name?--the quick step gal) and either Vitolio or the Hawaiian dude though Evan might be in trouble too.

AmandaAcidic
07-02-2009, 05:27 PM
I thought the pas de deux was beautiful. It was my second favorite dance of the night.

My favorite was the chain dance but I agree that it was distracting. Still really cool though.

I'm afraid for Evan too because it was his style and he didn't do great. It wasn't bad but I was disappointed. I'm going to be very unhappy if he goes home.

I thought that the alien dance was done well, but it was just weird. I felt bad for the dancers but I think they did the best with what they were given.

donroc
07-02-2009, 06:17 PM
I think some believe the title of the show is SO YOU THINK YOU CAN BE A CHOREOGRAPHER.

JanDarby
07-02-2009, 06:57 PM
The chain dance would have been better without the actual chain, just an imaginary one, which would have served the same purpose. I missed half the moves, b/c I was so distracted by the chain.

Didn't get the alien or vampire dances at all. I knew what the premise was, but I just didn't see it. Especially the vampire one. Amazing steps and moves in both pieces, but I just didn't get them.

No easy picks to go home, though.

ChunkyC
07-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Agree with the general consensus regarding last night. Best overall night since the first week of the top twenty.

I guess that's what makes the world go round -- I'd rather listen to the vocabulary-abusing gibberish than what feels like faux emotion to me.

Of course, I'm a tad cranky from all the rain in the northeast. Even Nigel was bugging me a bit last night (with the "but" joke, which stopped being amusing before he stopped using it), but usually, yeah, he's the one I'm interested in hearing a verdict from, although I do appreciate Mary's input for the ballroom stuff, when she's talking about technique.

JD
I dig what you're saying, and agree overall. Mary is fine when she stops with the stupid screaming and stridency. The second the pitch of her voice starts to rise, though, I'm on the mute button like a psycho-killer on a high school cheerleader.

Is it me or is Mary a lot more tolerable tonight?
She was, yes she was! :D

AuburnAssassin
07-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Prediction for the boot? Karina (name?--the quick step gal) and either Vitolio or the Hawaiian dude though Evan might be in trouble too.

Not to toot my own horn too loudly, but damn, I did good with my predictions. (Karina = Carla, btw) LOL :tongue

ChunkyC
07-03-2009, 06:18 PM
It was rather sad to see Vitolio go, he's an extraordinary dancer. Realistically, it should have been Philip because he's not at the same level as the others when he's outside his comfort zone -- but he's so friggin' amazing when in his comfort zone.

It's reaching the point now where there are no dancers who are obviously weaker than the others, with the exception of Philip when outside his own style of dance. That's what will eventually take him out of the competition. Question is, will he make it to the top ten before finally bowing out?

MissKris
07-03-2009, 07:08 PM
I don't know about the dancers being on the same playing field, even now. I wouldn't say any of them are weaker than the others, but I would say that some of them are stronger, if that distinction makes sense. Kayla and Melissa are the strongest girls, IMO, and Ade and ? are the strongest males. The rest on are a similar plane, for me.

As for Wednesday night, I thought the dancing was stronger and more interesting, and the choreography much better. I *finally* liked a hip hop routine (the chains). The pas de duex was stunning - I love, love that they put Melissa in point shoes and let her dance classical ballet. And, wow, Ade was great with her! The alien dance was weird, but I liked the vampire one.

I agree that Vitolio is a stong dancer, but I saw it most often in his solos. He wasn't displaying it so much in the couples' dances. Phillips' solo was sweet. I think the right folks went home.

Writer2011
07-03-2009, 10:55 PM
I've missed it the last two weeks--but did get to see the results show. Sad to see Vitolio go though...he was one of my favorites. Right now though it's too hard to say which one I like the most :)

ChunkyC
07-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Dang, that was the best show yet last night. Except for the fact that MARY WOULDN'T SHUT HER FREAKIN' PIE HOLE!!! Good lawd, they could probably do the show in half the time if she wouldn't keep yapping on and on and on and on.

*takes deep breath*

Anyway, I don't envy the judges. No matter who ends up in the bottom three tonight, it's going to be a nearly impossible choice unless one of the dancers trips and falls right off the stage during their solo.

AmandaAcidic
07-09-2009, 09:53 PM
I completely agree. I was worried for Phillip during the Russian dance but I think his second dance redeemed himself. Yes!

Someone should tell me who gets kicked off. I know I won't be able to see the result show =[

som1luvsmi
07-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Dang, that was the best show yet last night. Except for the fact that MARY WOULDN'T SHUT HER FREAKIN' PIE HOLE!!! Good lawd, they could probably do the show in half the time if she wouldn't keep yapping on and on and on and on.

*takes deep breath*

Anyway, I don't envy the judges. No matter who ends up in the bottom three tonight, it's going to be a nearly impossible choice unless one of the dancers trips and falls right off the stage during their solo.

I always put it on soft mute when Mary speaks. :)

Anyways, I have to agree that last night was the best night so far. My two favorites had to be Mia's addiction piece and the Argentine tango. Amazing!!

I have no idea who should go home now.

ChunkyC
07-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Anyways, I have to agree that last night was the best night so far. My two favorites had to be Mia's addiction piece and the Argentine tango. Amazing!!
Agreed. Mia choreographs such amazing routines. I think she and Wade Robson are by far the most creative choreographers on the show. And the tango ... my wife was mopping my brow by the time it was over. That was HOT!

MissKris
07-10-2009, 12:49 AM
Ack! I missed last night (out at my birthday party, w00t!) and now you're all saying it was the best yet!

*goes off to storm youtube*

AmandaAcidic
07-10-2009, 12:52 AM
Well happy birthday!

Er... you didn't miss much? *coughs*

Toothpaste
07-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Finally watched it in reruns today. I will always be an Evan fan, as I am loyal that way, but I'm starting to worry for him. His emotions run very shallow as he dances, the expression on his face is always larger than life and theatrical, a bit false. It was interesting watching the rehearsal video of his dances, where you just see him focusing, not "acting". In those shots you see an intensity that is lacking when he is on stage.

Grr. . . I just want to send him a message explaining that to him. He needs to relax his face, do so much less. It's so simple. Sometimes the judges try to help in talking about getting emotions from deep within etc, but as a director I know that sometimes you have to work from the outside in. Evan, stop puckering, stop with the eyebrows. And remember, when one is truly overwhelmed with passion one feels a need to contain it. Thus there is less obvious expression on the face.

He could totally do it too! Sigh.

Anyway, agree with y'all about the tango, amazing!

And how sweet was it that the two who were sent home still get to go on tour - top 12 this year, not just top 10.

Amanda if you are still curious who went home highlight below:

Caitlin and Philip

AmandaAcidic
07-13-2009, 09:17 AM
NOOOOOOO! Not him. I love him..... I'm am very angry about this.

Toothpaste
07-14-2009, 01:15 AM
NOOOOOOO! Not him. I love him..... I'm am very angry about this.

I do love him.

But.

He simply was not as capable a dancer as the others. If this had been the reality show I wanted, as in the exact same show but no one is eliminated, we just see them improve, then I would have had no issue with him staying. But keeping him over the other boys would have been greatly unfair. I'm sorry, sadly, he was the right one to go.

The good news is, as I said before, at least he'll still get to go on tour with them.

AmandaAcidic
07-16-2009, 06:12 AM
On tonight's show:

Wow. Jeanine and Jason's routine by the So You Think You Can Dance alum Travis was the best routine I can ever remember seeing on this show. So moving and amazing. I loved it.

My new favorites are Jeanine and Evan. I miss Phillip but I agree he couldn't have kept up anymore.

I think this may be the end for Randi. For the guys, I'm not sure. But Kūpono didn't do so well so this might be his last week.

Your thoughts?

ChunkyC
07-16-2009, 11:42 PM
I think you could be right. Based purely on last night's performances, Kupono and Randi were the weakest. Evan could be in trouble for his waltz, but his work in the group dance was solid, and his solo was fabulous. The other three guys and four girls were incredible.

danieldehart
07-18-2009, 07:07 PM
I definitely think a girl is going to win it this year. My wife and I have been watching for the past 3 seasons and this is by far the best batch of girls we've ever seen.

I am sorry folks, but Evan is going home. He doesn't have the passion, the personality, the intensity when he dances, even when it's an intense latin dance, he always looks like he's dancing Broadway and trying too much to "ham" it up.

And to be honest, I typically only remember him because of his skin color. No, it has nothing to do with race, but man oh man, does he need to get some sun. He is blinding. And I don't think it helped his chances when Nigel (or was it Mary?) said that he looked like a milk shake after the group number at the beginning of the show.

I love Melissa but I fear that her age (thanks for pointing that out Mary) and her "ballerina" label will lose her some votes. She is amazing, absolutely amazing, but I don't think the fans want a ballerina to be the SYTYCD winner.

We'll see.

som1luvsmi
07-18-2009, 09:11 PM
They can't let Melissa go until she does a hip hop routine! I've been waiting for weeks to see that. I still haven't seen Thursday's results show. DH has been working a lot of late hours this week. :( Hopefully tonight, though.)

ChunkyC
07-19-2009, 05:17 PM
I definitely think a girl is going to win it this year. My wife and I have been watching for the past 3 seasons and this is by far the best batch of girls we've ever seen.
Agreed.

I am sorry folks, but Evan is going home. He doesn't have the passion, the personality, the intensity when he dances, even when it's an intense latin dance, he always looks like he's dancing Broadway and trying too much to "ham" it up.
He's not gone yet, but he may be next. He certainly isn't a contender to win it.

I love Melissa but I fear that her age (thanks for pointing that out Mary) and her "ballerina" label will lose her some votes. She is amazing, absolutely amazing, but I don't think the fans want a ballerina to be the SYTYCD winner.
Her age?! She's still in her twenties, fer cripes sakes. Anyone who decides not to vote for her because of her age shouldn't be allowed out in public without adult supervision. (ed. note: Mary's a twit)

danieldehart
07-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Her age?! She's still in her twenties, fer cripes sakes. Anyone who decides not to vote for her because of her age shouldn't be allowed out in public without adult supervision. (ed. note: Mary's a twit)

Hey, I am not saying anything about her age, I am sure she's way younger than me, but I am just saying when it comes to this show and the average age of the viewers and the voters.

Like Michael Scott discovers in The Office, "ageism" is real.

ChunkyC
07-21-2009, 02:51 AM
Oh, I knew you weren't saying anything about her age yourself, and you have it bang on about the general audience. I just can't pass up a chance to diss Mary. ;)

MsJudy
07-21-2009, 05:08 AM
Whoops, I'm late to the party! I'm an addict - I was a dancer in my teens, though not a good one...just enough to know that every single one of those folks who made it to Vegas is way better than any human being ought to be.

Every episode makes me glad I'm a writer, not a dancer.

1) I still have a chance at a career, even though I'm over 40.

2) I can write in my underwear, if I want, but the whole world isn't watching me do it.

Watching those kids stand there and have the judges call them "mediocre" (when they're frickin' AMAZING, already) in front of 10 million people makes me a whole lot less worried about the next form rejection that comes in the mail.

But the thing that fascinates me about this season is...I guess I can't predict the voters. I think Evan is cool - not the best, but really cool. But I figured he'd be in the bottom by now, or voted off. But no, short doughy white guy hangs in there, while tall pretty blonde girls get the boot. Who'd have thought it could happen?

I'm so glad they're adding a fall season, but it's going to seriously cut into my writing time...

ChunkyC
07-21-2009, 11:46 PM
I agree, Jud. Just to get into the top twenty means they are phenomenal dancers. Now it's all relative; how good are they when compared to each other. So when a performance is called so-so by a judge, it was still amazing, just not quite as amazing as the others. Imagine if at the Olympics, all the runners in the hundred metres broke the world record. You could hardly call the guy in last place a lousy runner.

I'm going to predict that Evan goes home this week, though, cool as he is.

ChunkyC
07-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Evan must have heard me because he danced his best routines yet last night. Since about half of the show was so-so, he could pull his bacon out of the pan. I still think he's on the verge of going, though.

And wasn't that piece with Melissa and Ade UNREAL? Sometimes I think certain judges go overboard on the "oh I was so moved *snif*" routine, but I teared up a lil' bit myself at the end of that one.

AmandaAcidic
07-24-2009, 01:10 AM
I was just not in the mood for this show at all last night. I half watched it and for almost all the dances I was like, "Eh. Not very good." Then the judges were like "Wow that was amazing." So I don't have much to saw about last nights show.

But Melissa and Ade's piece was beautiful. I didn't tear up but I really really loved it.

AuburnAssassin
07-24-2009, 01:54 AM
I didn't tear up with Melissa/Ade's piece until I saw all the judges and Tyce tearing up, then I got misty. But really, the judges have already seen the pieces before the show so I can't help but think sometimes that some of this is a bit over the top and for show. Mia, of course, had to mention her father's death. Her silly daisies in heaven piece about his death 2 yrs ago with Lacey and the blonde gymnast dude paled compared to Tyce's, IMHO.

OK, now I love Ellen DeGeneris as a comedienne but exactly what was the point of her being a judge other than to tell similar jokes after each piece?

And Mia, if Janette is your favorite, why did you gush on and on about Kayla. Methinks you are not very sincere and/or there is some behind the scenes lobbying going on to push certain contestants so that they get more votes. (I actually do like Mia, though it doesn't seem like it from what I"ve written in this post.)

LOVED Travis's opening number. Loved it!

Sadly, I think Melissa is going home tonight and though I think Evan should be the next boy to go, I think it will be Jason who leaves. Just a gut feel from how the public has been voting though Jason had a really good night last night.

After that, I really have a hard time choosing between Janette, Jeannine and Kayla. For the guys, I'd go with Brandon but I agree that a woman will probably win this year. Any of those 3 ladies could do it.

If I based it on solos, I'd give the win to Jeannine--hers have been consistently excellent. If I based it on personality, I'd give it to Janette. If I based it on elegance and lines, Kayla would get it. If I based it on sheer awesomeness and power, then Brandon's the man.

JanDarby
07-24-2009, 03:11 AM
And wasn't that piece with Melissa and Ade UNREAL? Sometimes I think certain judges go overboard on the "oh I was so moved *snif*" routine, but I teared up a lil' bit myself at the end of that one.

Ditto. I'm SO not usually weepy over dance or music, but the Melissa/Ade piece was amazing, and I shocked myself by getting weepy at the very end of it. First time, ever.

I felt kinda' bad for the couple who had to close the show after that, because, by the very nature of the pieces -- their styles and subject matters -- the last one felt a bit anti-climactic.

I don't really care about the votes. I'm just enjoying the performances.

JD

jamesn65
07-24-2009, 04:00 AM
I watched the second half of the show last night. Never watched an episode before, and I must be some sort of heartlest bastard because that dance piece didn't affect me at all. I totally did not understand why everyone was crying! Sure, the subject matter is sad, but people were holding their hands over their mouths like they had just seen the return of Jesus or something. Really? I did not get it, but cool that it affected so many...

MissKris
07-24-2009, 05:58 AM
I liked Melissa and Ade's dance very much. It was lovely and powerful. I also *finally* liked a hip-hop routine: Kayla and Jason's. I agree with Nigel that the hip hop up until this point has been utter crap this season. And it's not all the dancers' faults. The choreography has sucked.

Evan is cute and he's different, which I love about him, but I think it's time for him to go home. I'm much less impressed with Janette than with any other girl, so I'd like to see her go, too. I was surprised at Mia's drooling over her, too. Kayla, not so much. But then, Kayla is my season favorite.

Funny side note: I follow agent Michael Bourrett on twitter and he'd tweeted about Jeanine's second dance (calling it "heavy") before the show had aired here on the West Coast. I ran from my computer with my hands over my eyes. :D

ChunkyC
07-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Well well, not totally shocked about Jason going, but dumbfounded by Janette's exit. I thought it would come down to her and Kayla in the final. Just goes to show you it's not just about pure dancing ability. It is, after all, a contest to find America's favourite dancer, which also explains why Evan made it through. He's just got a certain appeal about him that shines through most prominently when he does his 'native' style.

AuburnAssassin
07-24-2009, 07:17 PM
I agree 100% with ChunkyC, though I kind of thought the final 2 would be the 2 J ladies after Melissa then Kayla. I don't think Janette had ever been in the bottom 2 or 3 before so for her to go the first time that happened was shocking. Jeannine and Kayla had both been there several times. Evan must have a really big fan base. He really is charming and fun to watch in his own Gene Kelly style of dance.

JanDarby
07-24-2009, 07:47 PM
I was shocked by Janette's leaving and saddened by Jason's. I think he's more of a dancer at heart than Ade, who seems less musical somehow and more athletic/gymnastic.

Totally didn't get the Katie Holmes thing. I'm sadly (well, not really sad about it at all) out of the pop-culture loop and am not even sure who the heck she is or why I should want to watch her do a bad Judy Garland homage.

Repeats of the bench and the hummingbird, though -- that was great.

JD

MsJudy
07-24-2009, 08:05 PM
There's a reason Cat always says "America's FAVORITE dancer," not "This season's BEST dancer!" Anybody remember last year? I was shocked when Will got voted off, when he was clearly the best dancer on the show. But Nigel talked about the mindset that voters might get into: He's so good, everyone else is going to vote for him, so I'll use my vote for the underdog. I think that sort of thinking is helping Evan out this year. Good heavens, that samba of his was just embarrassing! But every time Nigel picks on him, the voters keep him in.

I agree: Ade might not be in it still if he hadn't been partnered up with Melissa for most of the season. His solos are meh.
Kayla's solos are finally getting better - more dancing, less kicking and posing. I thought she and Jason were the stars of this week, so I was sorry to see Jason go. Also sorry to see Jeanette go, because she always throws herself 100% into everything.
I wonder if Melissa would have made it this far if she'd ever been asked to do hip-hop...it'd be interesting to see, anyway. She is a beautiful ballerina, that's for sure.

Katie Holmes?? Nice voice, great legs, but...if there was any dancing in that, I must have blinked and missed it.

SWickham
07-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Coming in late to the convo...I have watched pretty much every season, this year I missed the first couple top 20 episodes so I didn't really know who was who...

I thought Janette was great, she really stood out in all the group performances above the others as well. Maybe Mia saying she was her favourite had the "oh she's safe" effect...?

I still am not sure I have all their names right, but for the girls I really like Janine (is that right?) She's got so much personality, her dance has "omph" and she's actually carrying some beef on her bod, which I of course love! ;)

Guys, I think Brandon is incredible, if I could do HALF of what he does in my fitness routines, I'd be laughin'. He's nuts. And I can't help getting on the "aw, look at the little funny guy" bandwagon and be routing a little for Evan...

Edit: How could I forget the whole reason I finally sought out this thread to join in. The Katie Holmes "dance"..? What the?? Talk about over hype and under deliver! That is all. ;)

MissKris
07-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Janette and Evan were the two I wanted to see go home this week. I love Evan's personality, but this show has never highlighted his style of dancing. As for Janette, there seems to be quite an uproar over her dismissal, but I've never been as fond of her. I think she's stunning in her style, but less so in other styles. And though she has a very upbeat personality, I never connected with her dancing on an emotional level. She's a fantastic entertainer and I think she'll have lots of options.

I was sad to see Jason go, especially after the hip-hop zombie routine. I'm a sucker for zombie routines. :)

I think a girl will take it this year, but I'm not sure which one. Fave is Kayla, but the three that are left are really outstanding.

What? Katie Holmes danced on the show? Sorry, I block bad memories . . . :D

Toothpaste
07-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Have to talk about the Katie Holmes thing. I get why they did it, she's a big movie star, it got attention, and Tyce is friends with her. But for a show that promotes serious talent, it just seemed almost offensive. She barely danced, and while yes she sang (adequately, note how she couldn't actually go into a vibrato, she had to sort of yell the end of her held notes - singing on key does not a singer make), she lip synched to herself prerecorded. When there are genuine triple threats on Broadway actually singing and dancing, at the same time, 8 times a week, why should we somehow promote what Holmes did as wonderful? Even Nigel went on and on in the weeks leading up about how she is a true triple threat.

Such an insult to real triple threats and all the hard work they do to become one.

Ehem. Rant over.

Carry on.

ChunkyC
07-25-2009, 01:25 AM
What? Katie Holmes danced on the show? Sorry, I block bad memories . . . :D
When you're married to Tom Cruise, you can command an audience when you pick your nose ... which was about how exciting her dancing was last night. It's tough to diss her tho', she was there for all the right reasons: promoting the Dizzy Feet Foundation. The problem was how much they hyped her appearance in the last few weeks. Even Rudolph Nureyev would have had a hard time living up to it.

MsJudy
07-25-2009, 05:43 AM
Yeah, but I'd pay to watch Nureyev, even if all he did was pick his nose.

I did get to see him dance live once before he retired. A solo from La Bayadere. *sigh*

ChunkyC
07-26-2009, 12:17 AM
Awesome. (the solo, not the nose picking). :D

MsJudy
07-26-2009, 09:10 AM
I got to see Baryshnikov, too. And Peter Martins. *sigh*

MsJudy
07-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Predictions, anyone?

I'd like to see Ade voted off. I think he's the least versatile of the boys. I think Evan did better than they gave him credit for, and he's got personality. And Brandon's solo was truly awesome.

The girls are all great. Melissa's gonna skate by without ever doing hiphop, which doesn't seem fair. Kayla is such a lovely dancer, but god, her solos are dull. My favorite is Jeanine. When she does those turns and then just stops, holds the pose in mid-air like no big deal... That takes an amazing level of strength.

I liked every routine except the disco. They missed connections, had no chemistry, they just hurried from one trick to the next, but Nigel stood up and screamed. Whatever...

MissKris
07-30-2009, 09:17 PM
I agree with Ade being voted off. Brandon is the strongest male and Evan has the best personality. Also, Evan's solo was great; not as spectacular as Brandon's, but entertaining and fun in its own way.

I thought all the girls' solos were lackluster last night. Boring, boring, boring. Kayla: boring. Jeanine: full of strutting and posing, missing the whole "dance" element. Melissa: boring, but at least she took a chance and slowed the tempo down, unlike everyone else who looked like they were whipping themselves into a frenzy.

Kayla and Brandon's dances were by far the best of the night, I thought. Beautiful contemporary and a seriously high energy, dynamic disco. They are the two I'd like to see pitted against each other in the end. I still love Melissa (her expressions during the quickstep were so fun) and Evan has so much life.

I found Jeanine to be awkward last night, like she wasn't comfortable with everything she was doing. She looked good in the latin number (she's got the bod for it!), but the hip hop was a disaster with that face she was making and the gorilla arms. The "superhero" dance was stupid choreography, so I can't blame the girls on that one too much.

I'd vote off Ade and Jeanine.

AuburnAssassin
07-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Jeanine is my fave too because her solos are superior to Kayla's I think and she's good at most everything, the rumba (?) dance last night excepted but that may have been Ade's fault. I dunno.

I think Brandon may win however. His solo (though I think I recognized it from his tryout) was superb and deserving of the standing O.

I think the boots will be Melissa and Evan. Final 4 placement will be: #4 Ade, #3 Kayla #2 Jeanine #1 Brandon.

Loved Sonja's routines last night. She is so much better this year than last.

seaaircarol
07-30-2009, 09:21 PM
This one is really hard to call. I'm pretty sure Brandon and Kayla will be safe, but as for the other four...

I don't have a favorite this year. I like them all, but it's pretty clear that Brandon is the best technically. I'm not sure he'll end up being America's favorite dancer, though. I wonder if Evan might end up winning???

~*Kate*~
07-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Without having seen last night's episode yet, I think overall Brandon is by far the best dancer, but his personality irritates me, and I wonder if that won't keep him from winning.

JanDarby
07-30-2009, 11:29 PM
I like Brandon generally, but he seemed off somehow in the disco number -- his feet/legs seemed leaden, and I was even wondering if he'd injured himself in the solo. So I too was surprised when Simon was enthusiastic about it.

I like Ade too, but he strikes me as more of an athlete than a dancer. I don't get the musicality or emotion from him usually, whereas I do get that (usually) from Brandon. I almost wonder if Ade would be better off in a related career (not sure what) where his strength and athleticism are more important than the musical aspects of his movement. Or perhaps he'd do best as part of a troupe, the background (still amazing, but not carrying the emotion), rather than the lead dancer.

JD

ChunkyC
07-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Normally I like Sonja's choreography but the worst routine of the night for me was the super girl thing at the end. Here it is the eve of the final and Sonja is giving the three girls this rudimentary unison side-step move when they should have been pulling out all the stops. And to make matters worse, such a lame move was put in TWICE. I thought the whole routine was kind of silly, more like the weak choreography Brian Friedman was putting together early in the season.

I think Brandon and Kayla are safe. No idea which of the other four are going home.

ETA: speaking of weak choreography, just once I'd like to see the judges critique the choreographers just like they critique the dancers. :D

~*Kate*~
07-31-2009, 12:05 AM
ETA: speaking of weak choreography, just once I'd like to see the judges critique the choreographers just like they critique the dancers. :D

I agree x a gazillion. The only time I've really heard them come down on a routine itself is that Russian folkdance debacle that Janine and Phillip had to perform.

AuburnAssassin
07-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Evan survives again! His "aw shucks" looks must really be getting his fan base out to vote in droves, that and the fact that the judges always tell him he's in trouble is a self-fulfilling prophecy in reverse.

~*Kate*~
07-31-2009, 07:24 PM
I really thought Evan's best routine of the night was his trio number. But Ade didn't really bring it strong, either, so I wasn't surprised that Evan's fan club kept him in.

The first girl shocked me though.

ChunkyC
07-31-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm not overly surprised by the results. Kayla and Brandon made it in, as many of us thought they would. From there it really was a toss-up. Evan's edge over Ade appeared to be his personality. Ade is a fantastically athletic dancer, but if you don't click with the audience on this show, you're in big trouble.

I think the final is going to be fabulous.

MsJudy
07-31-2009, 07:46 PM
None of this year's top dancers have the incredible personality that Twitch brought to last season, or the hard-luck rise-from-obscurity story that Joshua did. So it really comes down to "who does the audience connect to?" Because all six of those finalists have incredible technique - actually, all of the top 8 did. There's no way you could cut any of them just based on dance skills.

It really all comes back to what we know as writers: It's all about the story. Get your story out there. Evan does that. He has the underdog, nice-guy story going, and it's keeping him in the competition. Jeanine has an underdog thing, too, because her technique is so awesome but for the first half she had to support Phillip's stumbling. Then suddenly he was off, and she got a chance to shine. And Brandon had Mia and Little C on his case at first, so he had an underdog thing, too.

~*Kate*~
07-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Yeah, ITA with both of you.

I was excited to see the Emmy nominated routines last night, although I was never a big fan of Will and Jessica or that routine.

AuburnAssassin
08-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Go Jeanine for the win! Those pirouettes were amazing!

ChunkyC
08-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Based on last night's performances, I think Nigel is right that it should come down to Brandon and Janine. But who knows? Fans have fallen in love with Evan and Kayla has been fabulous all season long. She's a choreographer's dream who seems to be able to do whatever they throw at her.

I have no idea who is going to win, but Brandon and Kayla are my personal favourites.

~*Kate*~
08-06-2009, 07:51 PM
After last night, I'm torn between Brandon and Janine. Not that the Travis Tritt routine did the other two any favors. I thought those choreographers were going to kill Adam Shankman with their glares alone.

MissKris
08-06-2009, 09:29 PM
As for the options for the dancers, I thought this was one of the worst season finales ever. I mean you had a country jive, while fun and FULL of energy, wasn't exactly a finale kind of piece, a jazz/all boy routine that Evan had NO WAY of pulling off (was that even fair? Really?), and a pase doble that the judges loved, but I thought was all music, lighting and artificial drama. What WAS that?!?!?!

And, omg, would Nigel puleeease get laid? His comments about Jeanine are getting downright squicky.

Poor Evan was dreadfully picked on even though we all know he shouldn't really be there, dance-wise. It's like the judges don't realize how much America loves an underdog.

Brandon is incredible in his solos and his own style, but I don't think he's the strongest of the four when he's outside his comfort zone.

Jeanine is so, so lovely, but I don't see her dancing as "tight" as the others'. In the girls' dance, she didn't have as much "punch" as Kayla, for me. She does have great personality.

Speaking of personality . . . did I miss Nigel telling Kayla that she needed personality? I don't remember that, but now it's an issue? She's never gotten a bad review, she does every style beautifully and her lines are amazing. I think she has the most potential to do something BIG with her talent and she's still my favorite.

As for America's favorite? I have no idea.

Smish
08-07-2009, 04:52 AM
Anyone else hate the new set/stage? It's probably great live, but it doesn't translate well on-screen. I'd rather see the dancers than the flashing lights all over the place...

Toothpaste
08-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Very glad with the end result.

Smish
08-07-2009, 06:06 AM

Yep, me too.

MissKris
08-07-2009, 08:24 AM
That was a good show. I'm sad that Kayla was fourth, but I'm thrilled that a woman won this year! Yay!

BTW, those commercials for FAME look darn fun. I gotta see that one. :D

ETA: I luuuuurrrrrvvve Kayla/Kupono/Mia Michael's addiction dance. Soooo good.

~*Kate*~
08-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Anyone else hate the new set/stage? It's probably great live, but it doesn't translate well on-screen. I'd rather see the dancers than the flashing lights all over the place...

Yes to both of those.

ChunkyC
08-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Definitely a good end result. I was surprised Kayla got the least votes of the four, though. In the long run it really doesn't matter all that much since most of the top ten/twenty stand a good chance of making a career for themselves in the dance biz.

Yeah, I think strobe lights should be banned, they're nothing but phony excitement. And when the blankety-blank are they going to get a lighting designer with some musical sense? (not just for this show, but for Idol and ninety percent of the bands out there.) A chimp randomly mashing the control console could probably do better.

One thing I did like is that the cameras were offstage for the most part and therefore gave us more of an audience-pov look at the dancers than on the regular set. I don't like it when the camera-person is on the stage walking around them as they dance. Again, it seems like an attempt to use trickery - in this case camera movement - to add excitement that may not actually be there in the performance.

Over all, though, lots of great dancing this year and a worthy winner. Now I'm pumped for So You Think You Can Dance Canada which starts this coming Tuesday. :)

MsJudy
08-08-2009, 03:31 AM
Totally agree - Jeanine deserved it. The way she can spin like a top and then stop and just stay there - Well, it's illegal, for one thing. A direct violation of Newton's Law. Doesn't physics apply to dancers, too?

I thought it was so interesting that Carrington (from last season) is starring in FAME. Proof that "losing" isn't such a bad thing!

I'd like to see the movie...but I don't think I can convince my boys to come with me!

MissKris
09-17-2009, 07:34 AM
Anyone else watching this season?

I watched last week, but can't really remember a whole lot about it. This week's auditions are pretty good. Shorty and Dmitri cracked me up (I could only think about South Park's Cartman when I watched him), the same-sex ballroom dancers made me cry and the girl with Spinal Meningitis was inspiring - and beautiful! (Sorry, it's too early for me to catch names - not trying to be insensitive).

Looking forward to an awesome season!

ETA: Names: Jacob Jason, Willem DeVries and Allison are their names.

seaaircarol
12-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Anyone watching?

I don't feel as excited about this season as I did about the others. Maybe because it came on too soon after the summer season.

That being said, I like Kathryn and Ryan. Did you guys see their cha-cha?

MissKris
12-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Anyone watching?

I don't feel as excited about this season as I did about the others. Maybe because it came on too soon after the summer season.

That being said, I like Kathryn and Ryan. Did you guys see their cha-cha?

After last week, when the two most exciting dancers were dismissed, I've lost interest. Bah Humbug.

~*Kate*~
12-16-2009, 01:51 AM
I am so behind this season. I think they made a mistake doing two seasons back to back-- I've been a pretty hardcore fan in the past and just can't get interested. From the little I've seen, I'm Team Russel, all the way.

AuburnAssassin
12-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I correctly predicted the sixth, fifth and fourth place finishers but got the last three wrong. I was rooting for either Kathryn or Jacob to win with Russell to take third, or even second and the slight edge for first to Kathryn. Wah.

How sad and disappointing that Russell got injured since he was in so many of the numbers they picked as favorites, though I wish they would have ruled out any from the prior night. They were excellent but we just saw them hours earlier.