How Long Do You Give It

Status
Not open for further replies.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
This may be the definition of impatience, but I just got the first rejection for my new novel and I immediately want my agent to withdraw it from the marketplace so I can rewrite it.

Trouble is, my agent gave me relatively little feedback when he read it, other than that he liked it and was ready to send it out to seven editors.

Now I'm panicked, thinking I'm going to waste six more readings with a flawed book.

How many more rejections would you give your book before you rescued it from scrutiny and brought it back home to be repaired?

One passing note: the first rejection was pretty vague, the editor didn't like the characterizations, the relationships, the setting or the dialogue. But was willing to look at it again if I revised the book along those lines. What lines? Sounds like he didn't like anything.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't withdraw it based on one rejection. Wait until you hear from the remaining six.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
It's probably vague dread. But I've read a couple of books in my genre in the meantime and feel that mine is missing a few things, like believable relationships, sturdier characterizations, a more detailed setting and better dialogue. You know, everything the first rejection said.

On the one hand, it usually takes a rejection to get me more focused on what might possibly be wrong with the book. On the other hand, I always agree with everyone's criticism.

Now I feel like even if the next editor wants to buy it, unchanged, the first reviews will remark about the lack of character development, poor dialogue, unconvincing setting and faulty relationships.

And that'll just about sink my chances of a movie sale.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yep. I'd wait for the others to weigh in. Doesn't fit with me is different than doesn't fit. You have an agent. Ride the wave.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Um . . . one rejection? When my agent sent out my work every single publisher BUT one rejected it. If I'd pulled my book after that first rejection I wouldn't be a published author twice over by now.

Obviously you are reacting emotionally because you are disappointed, but step back, re-read your post, and note how, truthfully, silly it is. You are bound to get at least one rejection if not many more. You might not even sell to these 7. Wait. And if it still bugs you, have a chat with your agent.

It'll be okay! :)

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
All six? How about three or four?

Because it might be the last one who actually accepts it. But you'd never know because you gave up at the third rejection.

Persistence is key. You won't get anywhere without it.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Unless these six are the only publishers that could every possibly buy your book, then wait. Six is one round. Hopefully your agent has a second round in mind, just in case. Don't let one rejection panic you.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
I don't think you should withdraw based on one rejection. If we revised every time we got rejected, we'd never be done. Besides, what if these editors have started reading? And then it gets withdrawn? Then, you might not be able to resubmit to them.

Tika

Old kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thistlewoodpubllishing.com
I agree. Let them stay. Who knows what they might think if you suddenly pull it. It may go against you to do so. If your MS was good enough that an agent took it on, maybe someone else will see the promise, even if it needs some work.

If however, all of them reject it, read it again. See if YOU and your agent feel it needs improving. If so, do it.

gl with it :)
Tika

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, you got an agent. They obviously liked it well enough to take you and the probject on. So I wouldn't assume anything...ride it out and see what happens.

If there is a publisher that likes it, I doubt it'll get published without some suggested revisions/edits. I don't know of too many books that didn't have an editor ask for some revisions.:Shrug:

My advise is like everyone else's. Wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.