How frustrating is it to be a Playwright

Topcat136

Registered
Reaction score
[font=&quot]Hey everybody. It has been awhile since I've posted something so I just thought a general release of frustration was in order. I have been submitting my plays to Chicago Dramatists and been getting wonderful responses. However, when it comes to actually finding a theatre to perform my work.... Yah, no dice. I know everyone has this problem. I just thought we could console each other or better yet share each other's work and make it even better. Just a thought.[/font]

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that positive feedback doesn't mean production for you. I'd be interested to know what sorts of plays you've been submitting--one-acts, full-length dramas, musicals, whatever.

Are you submitting your work beyond Chicago? I saw a staged reading of a play in my city (western NY state) which has since been bought for 'real' production. Since the staged reading involved a Q&A with the author afterward, the audience got to feel like we know her, and I for one am pleased at her success.

Maryn, not even writing a play these days

JustinoXXV

Banned
Reaction score
Small theatres generally have no problem letting playwrights show their plays, if they can produce it.

So do you have the money to produce your play?

And to truly get your work out there, you need to be in the middle of the theatre scene, and form connections and relationships with those known in the scene.

And I'll still say the best place for those who want to be in theatre is New York. If you can't move there now, at least start e-mailing and querying people there. There are even literary agents in New York who specialize in stage plays.

nycgq79

Sorry to hear it too. You have to keep your head up. On another subject I am just woundering if you do have any advice on what you do to get play noticed and picked up at a thearter.

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Writerdiva,

Have you received any comments/criticism from audiences or readers that might be helpful in terms of getting published? I mean, is anyone saying, "You need to improve here, do this part differently, etc.?"

Mrs Wolfie

Chilean Wine- what a treat!
Registered
Reaction score
My husband is a playwright (as I guess I am as well since I have had one play produced on stage) and almost all of our work has been done at the local theater.

Most local theaters have open submission times and guidelines available at the box office or online if they have a website. I would highly recommend tapping into your local resources first, build up a resume and then go after the bigger markets.

Entering contests can be a real boon. One of my friends is having her play produced through a contest she won. You can find many contests in Writers Market.

Just don't give up. Theater is not a dying art and there is always room for more playwrights.

~~Wolfie~~

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
I agree, Mrs Wolfie.

Theatre is not a dying art. It is alive and well in community theatres, even in really small cities.