PDA

View Full Version : Cover Letter vs. Query Letter

zanizh
06-04-2009, 04:36 AM
Having a small debate amongst... well, myself... about this. I have the query thing down pat. Now I've happened upon a publisher that wants the entire manuscript with a cover letter. Should I just include my standard query with the manuscript? I've been so hyped up with queries that I'm not sure how to do this correctly. How do I format a cover letter when they want the manuscript? Do I still describe the book in detail or simply say, "This is my science fiction novel that is 90,000 words" - short and sweet.

Help?

Please?

:2angel:

Sargentodiaz
06-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Well, it appears they know what your novel is about or they wouldn't have asked for the mss.
So, the 'cover letter" is nothing but a transmittal of it.

Try something like - Attached is the manuscript of XXX you asked for. Thank you for your consideration.

use the KISS policy.

Momento Mori
06-04-2009, 12:39 PM
zanizh:
Should I just include my standard query with the manuscript? I've been so hyped up with queries that I'm not sure how to do this correctly. How do I format a cover letter when they want the manuscript?

I slightly disagree with lvcabbie. Have you had previous contact with this publisher zanizh, i.e. have you previously sent them a query and/or partial and they're now asking for a full or are you sending it to them for the first time?

If you're sending them a full further to a previous query and/or partial, then I'd do a short and simple cover letter but enclose a copy of the original query letter with it because it will be an aide memoir for them as to what the story is about (i.e. Further to your email/letter of [DATE] please find enclosed a completed manuscript for my manuscript 'TITLE'. I have also enclosed a copy of my original query letter of [DATE] for your ease of reference.]

If you're sending it to them for the first time, then just do your standard query letter tailored to that publisher. They'll still want to see your hook and brief blurb when they read the actual manuscript.

MM

Tburger
06-04-2009, 05:14 PM
I recall a certain imprint from a large pubisher that accepts slush submissions, and they actually stated that they didn't want a query letter, but a cover letter. I assume that means they want something akin to what you'd send if it was a short story submission (i.e., "please consider the attached N-word novel, XYZ. You can read other fiction of mine at magazines A, B, and C").

But I could be wrong.

zanizh
06-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Sorry, I haven't been on since posting this. To answer the first poster, this is a first time contact. It's a pretty big name so I have no problem printing out the entire manuscript for them. But it does say cover letter and not query letter but I understand in some cases the two terms may be interchangeable.

LOL. I've got different answers. I'm used to AW being overwhelmingly common in answers.

The publisher is DAW (http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pages/daw/submissions.html) if that helps any. I'm printing out the manuscript today, provided I don't run out of ink.

Tburger
06-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Sorry, I haven't been on since posting this. To answer the first poster, this is a first time contact. It's a pretty big name so I have no problem printing out the entire manuscript for them. But it does say cover letter and not query letter but I understand in some cases the two terms may be interchangeable.

LOL. I've got different answers. I'm used to AW being overwhelmingly common in answers.

The publisher is DAW (http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pages/daw/submissions.html) if that helps any. I'm printing out the manuscript today, provided I don't run out of ink.

DAW is the one I referenced in my post above. They specifically tell you to send the manuscript and a cover letter, not three chapters and a query letter. However, it's not crystal clear that my interpretation is correct. Good luck!

Momento Mori
06-04-2009, 06:06 PM
zanizh:

Heh. We seldom agree on anything here but I defer to Tburger - if DAW don't want a query letter then don't give it to them (and if you're still in doubt, you could give them a quick phone call just to clarify).

MM

Tburger
06-04-2009, 06:14 PM
I second the idea of getting clarification; you only get one shot at the big houses, and I'd hate to see it blown because of my stupid advice.