Cover Design

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
Does someone know of a good book cover designer? I'll need one in the near future. I'll also need some input, so would it be best to have that person read my book to give them a feel for what the cover should be? I'm self publishing via Lightning Source [if that matters].

khwaish

when it rains
Registered
Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck. Make sure the cover matches your own take of the story, though.

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com
Impressive. I didn't see where the fees were listed.

I haven't set that part up yet, but it is a part of my 4 year established graphics design company Amped Designs.

Fees go on what the project entails, how much work is required. It's worked out between client and myself what the fees are and a good majority of the time I do give discounts and sliding fee rates according to income.

I like to give the little guy a break because I am one of the "little guys" too so to speak. My usual fees would be about 250 to 300 CND for publishing houses (if you would like to speak to the lady whom offered me a working contract from Red Sky at Night Publishing I'd be more than happy to send you her way via email - I've also done corporate identity graphics for her) but if it's steep for you we certainly can work out a budget that suits you better.

I will admit, most of my work is in corporate identity logos and corporate graphics. I do have some 30 odd book covers under my belt as mocks for my portfolio (save for a few that you've seen there that are actual covers) that landed me the working contract with the small Canadian publisher I mentioned.

Amped Designs also has it's own sub contractor for java based web development, Brett is based in Africa\UK area. Would you like to see more of my portfolio, even if it's not book cover related? I'd be more than happy to have several clients speak to you if you like as well, not just the small publisher. Just say the word, I'll send you the info you want to look at.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I like to get at least a synopsis of the book so I have an idea of the plot and general groove of the book. It gives me a better idea of how the book cover should reflect the book. It's not mandatory but it does help to know what the book is about in order to accurately depict the story in a single image with cover art.

Last edited:

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
EDIT: Anyone else reading this has the same offer.

ORIGINAL POST:
Hey Doomie,

I've actually considered going into cover design, as I'm already a professional graphic designer.

If you tell me what you are thinking of for your cover, I might make you a free one. I want to get some samples before I start charging people. :)

I can make them more simple than this as well, since these were more for show than for practicality.

I haven't done any covers yet, but here is some of my graphic art:

Pretty much everything is made completely from scratch, whether it involves only graphic programs or a photograph that I took as a base.

olympuspreview1.png

1breakingbond.png

banner1.png

sideyosmallerforreals.jpg

Partum_Mihi_by_KayleyFC.png

faint_misconceptions_by_KayleyFC.png

And my newest; a bigger image (so I'm linking it)...

http://i42.tinypic.com/2itn346.jpg (but it will be saved as a .png so it won't lose image quality like a .jpg can)

Unlike many "book cover" websites, I don't just take images from Google to use - especially since it violates copyright laws. Pretty much all of my material is produced by me, or is used with permission.

Last edited:

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't particularly like the implications there Kaylee...All my graphics, all be it not my own at times, are taking from paid stock photo sites. Some, granted are from royalty free stock photo sites that are free of charge for use.

Not from google here, I pay for my subscription to stock sites, that makes it not a copyright infringement when it's royalty free and I do contact the owner on top of that 99.9% of the time unless otherwise stated on the stock site for no contact or not needing contact to use the graphic or photo.

That was largely presumptuous, unless I am mistaken that it was not directed at me personally.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't particularly like the implications there Kaylee...All my graphics, all be it not my own at times, are taking from paid stock photo sites. Some, granted are from royalty free stock photo sites that are free of charge for use.

Not from google here, I pay for my subscription to stock sites, that makes it not a copyright infringement when it's royalty free and I do contact the owner on top of that 99.9% of the time unless otherwise stated on the stock site for no contact or not needing contact to use the graphic or photo.

That was largely presumptuous, unless I am mistaken that it was not directed at me personally.

Tabitha, I assure you I wasn't referring to you. I have seen other sites where I actually found the images on Google (there was especially this one publishing site...one of their covers was nothing but a white document with red Comic Sans writing on it. Blech.) Sorry for the confusion. :)

I was just offering to make a free cover for him. It would help me by giving me a sample, and it is at no cost to him. He could very well commission you at the same time; I just wanted to ask since I wanted to get some samples.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
I like your artwork very much Kayley :) Best of luck to you :)

Tika :)

Thank you!

I'll probably just make a new thread about the free covers. I've just been too busy to make one lately and only posted because this is the first thread I've seen of someone requesting one. :tongue

If you're interested in a free cover, feel free to PM me (don't want to hijack the thread now lol). Once I have time, I'll be making some covers.

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tabitha, I assure you I wasn't referring to you. I have seen other sites where I actually found the images on Google (there was especially this one publishing site...one of their covers was nothing but a white document with red Comic Sans writing on it. Blech.) Sorry for the confusion. :)

I was just offering to make a free cover for him. It would help me by giving me a sample, and it is at no cost to him. He could very well commission you at the same time; I just wanted to ask since I wanted to get some samples.

It just came off as such, I figured I was largely mistaken. It was probably the timing of the cross post that happened between us. Forgive me if I sounded...well biotchy as the saying goes.

I apologize for coming off defensive or irritable, I didn't mean to be.

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, thanks for the interest. I'm writing a nonfiction book for prison returnees that I hope will aid anyone who truly desire a change in lifestyle upon release. I'd be happy to send you a synopsis, but my book is not a crutch to be used as an excuse guide. And more importantly, I want to educate returnees about society, not vice-a-versa. I'm not looking for anything over the top; rather, something catchy, yet not complicated, as to confuse someone about what genre the book actually falls into.

In researching similar books in the same category, I came across a book called Mask Of The Demon. The cover was, well, crude. But the book looked to be something out of the Scifi genre. But the excerpt indicated that it was about being a functional addict, hence the "mask". Confusing.

Nor am I looking for a photo of myself. Just something subtle, but would make a person say, "hmmm".
I haven't set that part up yet, but it is a part of my 4 year established graphics design company Amped Designs.

Fees go on what the project entails, how much work is required. It's worked out between client and myself what the fees are and a good majority of the time I do give discounts and sliding fee rates according to income.

I like to give the little guy a break because I am one of the "little guys" too so to speak. My usual fees would be about 250 to 300 CND for publishing houses (if you would like to speak to the lady whom offered me a working contract from Red Sky at Night Publishing I'd be more than happy to send you her way via email - I've also done corporate identity graphics for her) but if it's steep for you we certainly can work out a budget that suits you better.

I will admit, most of my work is in corporate identity logos and corporate graphics. I do have some 30 odd book covers under my belt as mocks for my portfolio (save for a few that you've seen there that are actual covers) that landed me the working contract with the small Canadian publisher I mentioned.

Amped Designs also has it's own sub contractor for java based web development, Brett is based in Africa\UK area. Would you like to see more of my portfolio, even if it's not book cover related? I'd be more than happy to have several clients speak to you if you like as well, not just the small publisher. Just say the word, I'll send you the info you want to look at.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I like to get at least a synopsis of the book so I have an idea of the plot and general groove of the book. It gives me a better idea of how the book cover should reflect the book. It's not mandatory but it does help to know what the book is about in order to accurately depict the story in a single image with cover art.

Last edited:

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
And thanks to you too. If you'd like, I could send you an actual synopsis, but I thought it best to brief you - and TabithaTodd - before actually briefing you, in case nonfiction in that particular genre does not interest you. I'd be happy to PM you or anyone that would extend such a request. Thanks again.

And both you and TabithaTodd do great work! Now that the two of you have agreed to play nice, who knows, perhaps you all may collaborate on projects in the future. Isn't this site primarily about networking?:Hug2:

ORIGINAL POST:
Hey Doomie,

I've actually considered going into cover design, as I'm already a professional graphic designer.

If you tell me what you are thinking of for your cover, I might make you a free one. I want to get some samples before I start charging people. :)

I can make them more simple than this as well, since these were more for show than for practicality.

Pretty much everything is made completely from scratch, whether it involves only graphic programs or a photograph that I took as a base.

olympuspreview1.png

1breakingbond.png

banner1.png

http://i42.tinypic.com/2itn346.jpg (but it will be saved as a .png so it won't lose image quality like a .jpg can)

Unlike many "book cover" websites, I don't just take images from Google to use - especially since it violates copyright laws. Pretty much all of my material is produced by me, or is used with permission.

TooJoyful00

TooJoyful00
Registered
Reaction score
Designs

Kayley,

You seem to do great work.
I'm not certain how passionate you are about your work and allowing it to work for you. I've e-mailed you regarding book covers and you ignored my e-mail. If you're not serious about your work and making money please don't advertise.
We are all on this site for a purpose so lets work on helping each other.

I've completed a manuscript and is in the final stages to be published. I'm looking to have someone design my book cover. I have the idea aleady sketched out I just need the Artist. I'm willing to pay for service but I'd rather promote someone here instead of going to a Printing company.
I have no problem doing so but we are all on this site for growth.

So if anyone out there is serious about business and think they can be of help to me.....please do shoot me a mail.

I wish you success Kayley

ORIGINAL POST:
Hey Doomie,

olympuspreview1.png

1breakingbond.png

banner1.png

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
I just wanted to throw my name out there for anyone looking for a cover artist/designer. :)

I just finished a cover for Lethe Press, and other clients I've worked with include Faber Castell. You can see samples of my work at http://www.niki-smith.com/

Please feel free to PM or email me for my rates.

thegreyknight.jpg

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
Very impressive. It took me a few moments to grasp what I was actually looking at. And YES, I'm a high school graduate :tongue! So your work is mostly for fiction and comics?
I just wanted to throw my name out there for anyone looking for a cover artist/designer. :)

I just finished a cover for Lethe Press, and other clients I've worked with include Faber Castell. You can see samples of my work at http://www.niki-smith.com/

Please feel free to PM or email me for my rates.

thegreyknight.jpg

White-Tean

Illustration Student
Registered
Reaction score
Website
white-tean.livejournal.com
Oh. that's such a gorgeous cover elae!
I was surprised to see you're here too, I actually watch you on Livejournal (though I'm a total lurker) but I missed seeing your recent illustration works because I barely checked my friends list at all last semester.

Anyway, great to have had the chance to see more of your artwork from seeing you here!
:D

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone interested in seeing how a different cover can change the entire mood of a book should check out the international variations of Stephen King's books.

The Japanese covers are my favourites, but I bought the Warner edition.

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Very impressive. It took me a few moments to grasp what I was actually looking at. And YES, I'm a high school graduate :tongue! So your work is mostly for fiction and comics?

Thank you! Most of my personal work is comics (my graphic novel is currently out on submission... fingers crossed!), but I'm more than willing to work on covers for any genre, be they memoir, textbook, or horror. This cover I did for Lethe Press, for example, is for a gay crime/mystery novel. It's up to the client whether they would prefer an illustration- or photo-manipulation-based cover.

Oh. that's such a gorgeous cover elae!
I was surprised to see you're here too, I actually watch you on Livejournal (though I'm a total lurker) but I missed seeing your recent illustration works because I barely checked my friends list at all last semester.

Anyway, great to have had the chance to see more of your artwork from seeing you here!
:D

Hi there~ :D And thanks! I'm generally a pretty big lurker on livejournal too, so I completely understand, haha. I was busy graduating last semester, so there weren't too many entries from me... I don't think you missed much. I'm trying to be better about posting!

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Anyone interested in seeing how a different cover can change the entire mood of a book should check out the international variations of Stephen King's books.

The Japanese covers are my favourites, but I bought the Warner edition.

I love looking at galleries of different/international covers. Tamora Pierce has a similar collection up on her site for her different books, for any YA/fantasy fans. The UK ones are my favorite.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
Kayley,

You seem to do great work.
I'm not certain how passionate you are about your work and allowing it to work for you. I've e-mailed you regarding book covers and you ignored my e-mail. If you're not serious about your work and making money please don't advertise.
We are all on this site for a purpose so lets work on helping each other.

I've completed a manuscript and is in the final stages to be published. I'm looking to have someone design my book cover. I have the idea aleady sketched out I just need the Artist. I'm willing to pay for service but I'd rather promote someone here instead of going to a Printing company.
I have no problem doing so but we are all on this site for growth.

So if anyone out there is serious about business and think they can be of help to me.....please do shoot me a mail.

I wish you success Kayley

I just wanted to clarify to other readers of this thread that I had been out of town and had already informed previous customers about my absence. TooJoyful was told about this later, so the whole situation was a misunderstanding. I am passionate about my work and do take it seriously; I was simply out of town at the time, a situation which I had informed people about previously.

The situation has been cleared up between TooJoyful and I, but I wanted to make sure that anyone reading this thread also had an accurate understanding of the situation. :)