PDA

View Full Version : -sigh-

PoppysInARow
06-04-2009, 01:07 AM
SO I got my rejection today. Waited six weeks, heard nothing, poked the agent, turns out he didn't have my ms, so I sent it again. Three days later I get a rejection.

I was hoping for at least a little criticsm. He said I was a talented writer and all that BS, but no actual criticism to work off of. To know what's wrong with the damn thing.

So I'm feeling kind of disheartened. I want to get back in the game and query twenty more agents, but I don't really have the heart. It sucks. I wanted the rejection to fuel me, but all it did was make me feel horribly lathargic. Any tips for getting back on the horse? :cry:

Red-Green
06-04-2009, 01:12 AM
Do it. No one will ever represent you if you don't query them. That's the only motivation that exists. If you want an agent, you must query. Go!

And sorry for the rejection. I know they sting, but there are only two kinds: useful and useless. If it's a useful rejection, use it. If it's not, ignore it.

alias octavia
06-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Take a day to wallow if you want, but then get back to querying. I find sending the snail mail version feels very cathartic.

Karen Duvall
06-04-2009, 01:21 AM
I was hoping for at least a little criticsm. He said I was a talented writer and all that BS, but no actual criticism to work off of. To know what's wrong with the damn thing.

I don't know if it will help, but this right here is the key to getting over the post-rejection blues. Want to know what's wrong with the damn thing? NOTHING! :) Really. Who says this one individual's subjective opinion is the end all, be all of anything? Pfffft. The next agent you query could be totally swept off his or her feet with your brilliance. Honest. So give it another shot or twenty. You know you want to. :D

Toothpaste
06-04-2009, 01:23 AM
First off don't get mad at yourself for feeling down. You just got the rejection today, a rejection on a full, that really hurts, a lot. So allow yourself to feel sad today. Indulge yourself, vent to some people who understand (like us!), rent your favourite movie etc. And then tomorrow wake up and decide it's a new day, and it's time to start again.

Also know that it only takes one yes. People will tell you their tales of tons of rejections before getting that amazing deal. I have a friend who submitted for a decade and now her book is published with a film option sold. It doesn't matter how many nos you get, all you need is one yes. That's it. That's all I got. But that was more than enough.

As far as the lack of critique goes, while I always say agents don't owe us anything, I always find it odd when an agent doesn't offer a critique on a full. That being said, it sounds to me like there is nothing "wrong" with your book, he just didn't click with it. I wouldn't worry about the quality of your work just yet.

Lastly I will quote Galaxy Quest: Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

pixydust
06-04-2009, 01:32 AM
Rejections on fulls seem to sting the most. It feels like you've been dropped cold.

Lastly I will quote Galaxy Quest: Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

I second that! Just keep trudging through the muck and mire. I'm right there with you.

brainstorm77
06-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Take a couple days off as a breather.

MsJudy
06-04-2009, 04:22 AM
I really expected to be crushed, devastated, discouraged, depressed when my full was rejected by my number one first choice agency.

But...

It felt more like not winning the lottery. Not real, you know? Like, who am I kidding? This is all one big fantasy anyway. Never gonna happen.

So...it was sort of like permission to go on dreaming. Someday, my book will be published *singing off-key and dancing like Snow White*

I mean, it would have been nice, but, oh, well. My dog still loves me, anyway.

Leanan-Sidhe
06-04-2009, 04:35 AM
Hang in there, Poppy! Hit the send button on those queries and get writing on the next book. :e2cheer:

Branwyn
06-04-2009, 05:06 AM
Revenge query!

PoppysInARow
06-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Thanks you guys. -gives everyone a big hug- I was moopey all day at work, and I think that's all I need. Your kind words have made me feel so much better. :D

Queries, away!

EgyptianGoddess
06-05-2009, 06:37 PM
I did that too, got all depressed and felt useless because of the constant rejections. I had a few requests for partials (and 1 full...who never got back to me after 4 damn months!)....and I felt like HELL WITH IT, I'm not doing this anymore!

I wallowed for a day or two...slept a lot, felt grumpy and weepy. Then I found some new sources to query by accident (I write crime/mystery)....and thought, oh what the hell. Started sending out queries again. Everytime I open my email, I have a red pen in my hand, cuz I write the date and pass on my notes every time I get a rejection.

Now, all of a sudden, I have 6 requested fulls out there and several partials. Heck if I know what happened or what changed, but wow is all I can say. And you can see in another thread I started, I got a very harsh, unkind rejection this morning to one of the partials.

Now, I may end up having every single one of them reject me, which will surely hurt my feelings. But right now, at this moment in time while they're all reading MY BOOK, I feel edgy and nervous (don't want to be rejected!)....but I also feel GOOD! Even if I get rejected, something is getting these agents to read my book...so sooner or later, someone worthwhile is gonna want to rep me. I just believe that.

It's got me all excited about working on the next one in the series (Im writing a series with the same core characters)....and that feels good! I'm into the 4th chapter now of the new one...and am stopping to re-read what I have so far and edit...then I'll be writing more.

I know I'm babbling....what Im trying to say is DO NOT GIVE UP! Make it the best work you can do...then just keep trying. Im not even going to count my rejections until my book is sold...then I will so I can do the "neener neener" dance around my living room:D

Good luck and keep on querying!!!