PDA

View Full Version : Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

James81
06-03-2009, 11:25 PM
I saw this on HBO last night and laughed my ass off.

I don't know why I like these movies so much, but I do. Anybody else see this or the first one?

fairy86
06-03-2009, 11:36 PM
I saw this on HBO last night and laughed my ass off.

I don't know why I like these movies so much, but I do. Anybody else see this or the first one?

I love that movie. My favorite scene was the prison guard and his . . . sandwich. And of course, Bush smoking up.

Diana Hignutt
06-03-2009, 11:45 PM
I love that movie. ...And of course, Bush smoking up.

This.

Great films.

James81
06-03-2009, 11:46 PM
My favorite part was the whole section with Neal Patrick Harriss. :roll:

fairy86
06-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Haha. I love him in those movies.

Zoombie
06-04-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm just waiting for the prequel.

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/dan/5-27-09/popcornmonster2.jpg

fairy86
06-04-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm just waiting for the prequel.

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/dan/5-27-09/popcornmonster2.jpg

Awesome

Writer2011
06-05-2009, 10:16 AM
OMG..this movie was hilarious...the um....sandwhich...the bottomless pool party!!! The whole Neal Patrick Harris bit....all of it was funny...I thought it was better than the first one, but that's just me :)

Captshady
06-05-2009, 05:30 PM
I love that movie. My favorite scene was the prison guard and his . . . sandwich. And of course, Bush smoking up.

Ya like gettin' h.j's? Yeah
Ya like GIVIN' h.j's? No

Well then that's makes you a ... hypocriticizer yourself.

ROFLMAO

underthecity
06-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Wow.

I'm sorry guys, but I feel the exact opposite about this film.

Mind you, I LOVED H&K Go to White Castle. I thought it was among the funniest movies I'd ever seen and eagerly anticipated the sequel.

But in G Bay, well, first off, they don't spend much actual time in G Bay, so the movie was inappropriately titled because it's like escaping from G Bay was just a small part of the movie. Second, why did everything have to have a lame sex joke behind it? (Like the "reverse topless" swim party. Why?) It's like they tried to sex it up too much to an stupid degree, rather than being clever about it. Then there was the government guy who was chasing them, acting too blatantly prejudiced against them and everyone else, i.e., to H&K's parents, to those black guys playing basketball in the street--pouring the grape soda out on the ground ("Sir, he's an orthodontist."), and him wiping his butt on the Constitution. That scene alone turned my stomach.

In the first one, Harold and Kumar found prejudice wherever they turned, and it worked because they were the minorities and that was how it went. In the sequel, it's like the prejudice was forced on them and everyone else, and after a while, all I wanted them to do was get to Amsterdam already.

The part with G. Bush smoking pot, that was funny, but it was so "out there" that I couldn't accept it, even in a movie.

Overall, not funny and disappointing.

dclary
06-06-2009, 01:41 AM
But in G Bay, well, first off, they don't spend much actual time in G Bay, so the movie was inappropriately titled because it's like escaping from G Bay was just a small part of the movie.

Um, and how much time did they spend at White Castle in the first?

underthecity
06-06-2009, 02:04 AM
In the first one, the goal was White Castle.

In this movie, the apparent goal was to escape from Guantanamo Bay. Which to me, would mean they're incarcerated there for longer than the few minutes they're actually in there. I took it to mean it would be like "Escape from Alcatraz," where throughout the movie he was in the prison, preparing the escape.

If anything, this movie should have been called Harold and Kumar Finally Make it to Amsterdam.

TereLiz
06-06-2009, 02:33 AM
Seriously, I thought it was a great idea for a sequel. I appreciated the fact that they could have just made "Harold and Kumar go to a hash bar in Amsterdam", on a wild-goose chase for Maria, which could have been very funny.
Instead, they took the "high" road, and went for something more timely, more relevant to the audience, but still in the tradition of the first movie.

Saying that the "bad guy" was too stupid is like saying the same of the people on the plane who smell the pot smoke and still think it's some kind of killer gas. Just accept it as a part of the movie. Just because the "villain" is a hyperbolic character doesn't lessen the impact of the symbolism: Every day people in this country are judged based on race or appearance (eg the scene with the airport guard who stops Kumar, and with the orthodontist and his friends who just want to help fix H&K's car, which was, IMO, a major theme of the first movie. That, and don't give up on your dreams And that Cindy Kim is hot.).

I had a great wallpaper for a while with NPH riding a unicorn that said, "What would NPH do?" along the bottom, so for that reason alone I'm glad they made the movie.
I die laughing when Kumar is like, "No, it's a BONG, not a BOMB!"

OMG,totally forgot about the three-way with Kumar, his exgirlfriend and the giant bag. Hilarious use of a running gag!