PDA

View Full Version : gross candy teenage boys would like

CurranCR
06-03-2009, 07:34 PM
I wanted my 15-year-old protagonist to buy a packet of Pop Rocks or Cosmic Candy, but discovered that neither is for sale in the USA anymore. What gross candies do teenaged boys eat now? Preferably something that makes a noise, is super spicy or has a strange texture. Any ideas?

Caroline

zenwriter
06-03-2009, 07:40 PM
I vote for these:

http://candyaddict.com/blog/top-10-grossest-candies/

I've also seen lots of candy-covered worms and bugs in candy/novelty shops. Those are fascinating, with a high "ick" factor. Oh, and I know lots of teens chew that "energy" gum. It's not gross in the same way, but the flavor...ewww.

That's my $0.02

Kitty Pryde
06-03-2009, 07:51 PM
My friends were fond of something they called "The Barf Bowl" (yeah, they really are that charming). The Barf Bowl consists of Nerds, DOTS (which are maximally putrid), skittles, M&Ms, Mike&Ikes, and Red Hots, all mixed up in a big bowl. To experience the true majesty of the Barf Bowl, one has to fish out a small handful and eat it all at once, regardless of how nasty it will be.

On other gross candy, the other day at the dollar store they were selling Gummy Wounds (like, just gross wounds of various sorts, depicted in gummy candy), and Gummy Used Bandaids.

Stew21
06-03-2009, 08:01 PM
My boys like extremely sour candy. There's one called Sour Punch that grosses me out. It's chewy, so not noisy, but that flavor... :shudder: (I think there's also one called Extreme Sour, but can't remember)

dahmnait
06-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I don't know about Cosmic Candy, but Pop Rocks are still sold, at least they are in California, USA. I just got some for my boys the other day. :)

Cyia
06-03-2009, 09:17 PM
PopRocks are still sold in Texas, too. Love 'em. Sour candy is always good, things like Lucas - which is a sour sprinkle to put on other food or eat just as powder - are really popular. Pickle juice snowcones or popsicles. There's a candy that's basically a melted sucker that squeezes out of a tube (comes from Mexico and I can't remember the name). I've even seen "tequila" suckers sold at counters with real worms in the middle.

Razzles are hard to find, but good for an odd texture. They're a sweet/sour candy shell that turns to gum in your mouth when you chew it.

(And I like DOTS, kitty!)

Kitty Pryde
06-03-2009, 09:21 PM
(And I like DOTS, kitty!)

I'm aware of the fact they are intentionally consumed by humans. I just cannot understand it. I would rather eat Gummy Festering Wounds or Fear Factor Gummy Monkey Nutsacks than eat DOTS.

Eldritch
06-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Check out WWW.Stupid.com (http://www.Stupid.com)

Some of their finer offerings include: gummy maggots, box of boogers, gummy tapeworm, chocka ca-ca, and human dog food.

mommyjo2
06-03-2009, 10:31 PM
They still sell poprocks around here. Jelly Belly also has a whole Harry Potter line, with "Vomit", "Booger", etc. flavors.

I've also started seeing gross candy in the movie theater boxes (sold at the dollar store) that are "boogers" but look like Nerds. They also sell gummy rats and gummy body parts.

There are also tequila flavored (but non-alcoholic) lollipops, complete with worms, and I've seen cricket pops for sale at gas stations.
http://www.candyfavorites.com/Cricket-LickIt-Lollipops-pr-515.html

Smiling Ted
06-03-2009, 11:20 PM
I wanted my 15-year-old protagonist to buy a packet of Pop Rocks or Cosmic Candy, but discovered that neither is for sale in the USA anymore. What gross candies do teenaged boys eat now? Preferably something that makes a noise, is super spicy or has a strange texture. Any ideas?

Caroline

By age 15, most teen boys I know were about 7 years too old for gross candy fever. They were more interested in scoring cigarettes or alcohol. They'd eat candy, sure, but it wouldn't be a big deal in their universe - unless they had food issues.

Prawn
06-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Beer.

Ken
06-04-2009, 02:39 PM
... black jelly beans!

CurranCR
06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Yeah, 15 may be too old for candy, but they're just going to a general store and their friend requests it (to bring back to school). They live in a small village, so no way the manager would sell them alcohol or cigarettes.

Maryn
06-04-2009, 04:32 PM
In his teens, our son (and our daughter) were far too old for gross candy but were both seriously into sour. They liked LemonHeads and WarHeads (http://www.candy.org/cleanimages/novelty/warheadsextremegreen.jpg) especially, although Sour Patch Kids, sour watermelon slice jellies, sour berry jellies, and other sour jelly-based candies were also popular. One of our kids is still into sour candy and buys SweetTarts Sours on sight.

Maryn, not so much a sour fan