PDA

View Full Version : I'm Confused

zanizh
06-03-2009, 05:44 PM
I really need some insight to this. I got this rejection the other day... well, not so much a rejection as a dismissal.

Dear Author, It is the policy of Harper Collins to return, unread, all unsolicited manuscripts and proposals for books that the company receives. Unfortunately, the volume of these submissions is so large that we cannot give them the attention they deserve. We recommend that you consult your public library for sources that can direct you in preparing a submission and locating an appropriate agent and/or publisher.

I didn't submit to Harper Collins directly. I submitted to Avon Books which is part of Harper Collins. While I know that Harper Collins does not accept unagented material, the guidelines I read for Avon suggests they do accept unagented queries. I also know from past research that there are a great number of large publishers who have specialty imprints that have different submission guidelines and that will consider unagented material where their bigger company will not. Anywho, here's what the Novel and Short Story Market Guidelines say about submitting to Avon.

Does not accept unsolicited mss. Query with SASE.

Because the listing did not have an agent symbol by it and it did not say, "Only agented material allowed" I took the above to mean that I only needed to send a query - no synopsis, no sample chapters, that's it.

I don't like being made to look like an amateur. I don't waste my time submitting to a publisher that only accepts agented material.

I guess I'm just wondering what I did wrong here. I feel like I wasted a query.

Red-Green
06-03-2009, 05:49 PM
It's certainly possible that Avon has changed their policy since the Market book was published. Especially with the hard times that have fallen on publishing, the remaining editors at Avon may have decided they don't have the time to look at unagented queries. Best luck elsewhere, though.

ChaosTitan
06-03-2009, 05:55 PM
I found this on Avon's website after Googling their submission policy:

How To Submit A Manuscript
Please note Avon's new submission policy
To submit your romance or women's fiction (only), please query first. You must query by e-mail. When you do so, please put QUERY in the subject line. Due to the overwhelming amount of spam e-mail received, subject lines that have manuscript titles often do not reach the editors. Your query should be brief, no more than a two-page description of your book. Do not send chapters or a full synopsis at this time. Also, please not send attachments—THEY WILL NOT BE OPENED. You will receive a response—either a decline or a request for more material—in approximately one to two weeks.

http://www.harpercollins.com/imprints/avon/SubmissionGuidelines.aspx

Toothpaste
06-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Did you submit a query or a manuscript?

zanizh
06-03-2009, 10:06 PM
I appreciate the info, Chaos. I did check the site but apparently they've changed again since I submitted because they accepted more genres then that earlier.

And yeah, Toothpaste, I just submitted a standard query.

Well, it isn't the first confusing rejection I've received but it's the only one that I've gotten that stated they didn't look at it. Better luck next time, I suppose.

That was my 77th rejection. Woot!

RainbowDragon
06-03-2009, 10:28 PM
If you addressed the query to the right editors/imprint and their guidelines say they accept queries, I would guess your rejection was a clerical error. Maybe your query got to the wrong department.

Why not send it again? If it happens again, you'll know they're just incompetent and you wouldn't want to work with them anyway :)

ChaosTitan
06-04-2009, 05:59 PM
If you addressed the query to the right editors/imprint and their guidelines say they accept queries, I would guess your rejection was a clerical error. Maybe your query got to the wrong department.

Why not send it again? If it happens again, you'll know they're just incompetent and you wouldn't want to work with them anyway :)

Actually, the info from their website says send query by EMAIL. No clerical errors involved in that, as long as the e-query is sent with the proper subject line and to the correct address.