PDA

View Full Version : Novel Writing Courses

06-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Hello,

I have heard that it is possible to take novel writing courses through correspondence at credible institutions like universities or colleges (although I would be fine with taking such a course from a non-sanctioned school, so long as it was credible). I have budgeted my school loans this year so that I can afford one extra course (in the 500$ range).

Does anyone know of any courses on novel writing that I can take through correspondence? Specifically I would be looking for a course that focused primarily on dissecting and improving my work, in the form of a novel (not essays or short stories). (I have heard of courses where the student's novel is submitted throughout the semester...) Working with a published author would be amazing, but I imagine I am shooting for the stars there. (?)

Sorry if this is not so clear! I would love to hear of any experiences you might have with something like this, or any information on such courses!

Thank you very much.

AnnieColleen
06-03-2009, 06:43 AM
I've been doing Lazette Gifford's Two-Year Novel course. She doesn't give instructor feedback on your work (though you can ask specific questions), but it is a structured lecture series, by a published author, and gives class feedback from the other participants. And it's either free (starting in January) or the cost of an e-book (any time, though without class participation).

The books (http://shop.hollylisle.com/index.php?crn=206&rn=366&action=show_detail) are here. The new class link won't be up until later, though.

Palmfrond
06-03-2009, 07:20 AM
UCLA Extension has a terrific Writer's Program. Many of the courses are on-line, including the novel sequence. The February four day workshop is very good, too.

nconner
06-03-2009, 05:03 PM
I've heard good things about Gotham Writers' Workshop (www.writingclasses.com (http://www.writingclasses.com)). They have an online workshop in novel writing and other workshops based on genre. All their classes are taught by published authors.

I have friends who teach in the low-residency master's program at Goddard College in Vermont. There are a number of good low-res programs around the country that lead to a master's degree in creative writing. You spend two years working on your novel with a faculty mentor, submitting materials by email, and meet on campus twice a year for five-day residencies. At a residency, you attend workshops, readings, seminars, and so on. This kind of program doesn't sound like what you're looking for right now (they can be pricey, but they produce a finished novel and earn you a degree), but maybe it's something you'll be interested in down the road.

Nancy Holzner