The game we've been waiting for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The video game Fire Warrior made a huge mistake.

It was one of the first FPS games to be released set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

And who did it let us play as?

Not the 9 foot tall superhuman warrior with the gun that fires self propelled, armor piercing mini-rockets. Not the warrior priests known for extruding sheer baddassery from every pore of their body.

No.

Fire Warrior has you playing...A TAU.

A TAU

A motherfraking TAU!!!

Fortunately, the developers of video games do sometimes learn from their mistakes!

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/...rine/videos/spacemarine_trl_battle_52709.html

BITCHEN!

Tomothy_Mayhem

Holy Emperor of the Imperium
Registered
Reaction score
not an fps, but still better than playing a Tau most definatly, that was soooo gay, and like how did a punsy little tau that arn't even allowed to train even fricken hold a bolter?!?

But anyway past my Tau hating rampage what better race to make a God of War like game than the emperor's finest themselves (no not the custodes) THE SPACE MARINES!

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I imagine it's tough to build a compelling story around overpowered, superfanatical SMurf characters. They have nothing to fear except unusually strong psykers, warp entities, huge mobs of mooks, and their Chaos-corrupted brethren. My understanding is that all the 40k novels are about the Guard (or anything but the Adeptus Astartes) because they're easier to identify with.

Last edited:

Tomothy_Mayhem

Registered
Reaction score
I imagine it's tough to build a compelling story around overpowered, superfanatical SMurf characters. They have nothing to fear except unusually strong psykers, warp entities, huge mobs of mooks, and their Chaos-corrupted brethren. My understanding is that all the 40k novels are about the Guard (or anything but the Adeptus Astartes) because they're easier to identify with.

hahaha, you make me laugh, what about the Space Wolves, Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Horus Heresy series that are all based around Space Marines? basically everything you said was wrong except the Adeptus Astartes and the fact that there are books about races OTHER than Space Marines, oh and the Smurfs isn't insultings Space Marines as in Space Marineurfs, thats wierd its paying out Ultramarines since they are blue, meaning Ultrasmurfs.

Tomothy_Mayhem

Registered
Reaction score
oh and also the fact that they are overpowered is simply making up for their bad numbers, seeing as half of them turned EVIL! there are only 1000 in a chapter of space marines, and since its predicted to be around 1000 chapters meaning there is a teensy amount of thm compared to the millions of imperial guard and millions of tau.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
How is it hard to write a story for ultrazealous, nine foot tall superhuman genetically engineered warrior priests who have semi-automatic armor piercing rocket propelled grenade launcher pistols that fire mass reactive self propelled .75 caliber shells and weild chainsaw swords.

Chainsaw SWORDS.

The story is thus

Space Marines are in a tough situation.

They kick ass till the other guys are dead.

They pray to the Emperor.

The end!

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
hahaha, you make me laugh, what about the Space Wolves, Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Horus Heresy series that are all based around Space Marines? basically everything you said was wrong except the Adeptus Astartes and the fact that there are books about races OTHER than Space Marines, oh and the Smurfs isn't insultings Space Marines as in Space Marineurfs, thats wierd its paying out Ultramarines since they are blue, meaning Ultrasmurfs.
Kinda missed the point. Everyone talks about the SM novels because they're so awesome, and they totally forget that the Gaunt and Cain novels exist...

/cough

/cough

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
You...do know that this setting has been around since 1984, right BW?

Gears of War and Starcraft are two big offenders where it comes to ripping Warhammer 40,000 off.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Kinda missed the point. Everyone talks about the SM novels because they're so awesome, and they totally forget that the Gaunt and Cain novels exist...

/cough

/cough

Cain and his buddies are pretty much the only characters I care about in the entire Warhammer 40,000 universe.

Seriously, a Ciaphas Cain movie...Johnny Depp as Cain?

I totally see it.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
You...do know that this setting has been around since 1984, right BW?

Gears of War and Starcraft are two big offenders where it comes to ripping Warhammer 40,000 off.

When I hear stuff like "chainsaw _________" (be it swords, guns, cars or dildos) I can't help but think they owe a little bit of their existence to Tobe Hooper.

I've picked up a few Warhammer books and mags in the past. It's violent enough to keep my attention in the short term, but too large a creation to really get into in any depth, so yeah - I know it.

Is Paul Dainton still doing art for GW? No idea whose art they are using for the 40k posters these days, but some of them look rushed.

ETA: My smilies are missing.

Last edited:

Tomothy_Mayhem

Registered
Reaction score

/cough

/cough

far enough, I own ( as in possess) the Cain novels and they ARE awesome, my friend is the biggest fan of last chancers, my point was don't start acting all super intelligent without any solid material.

oh and on Zoombies "Starcraft=Warhammer 40k ripoff" I TOTALLY agree I mean jeez, Terrans=Space Marines, Zerg=Tyranids and Protoss=Eldar, even a really old concept for Star Craft was a Protoss fighting a zerg and the protoss had an incredibly Eldar like mask, but still Starcraft is awesome, especially laughing at the lack of life that the korean players have. :p

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody had better dig on the Koreans. Those chaps are COMMITED. They are determined to wring out every last morsel of enjoyment from their games, and we should respect their geek prowess. Hell, there have been cases where gamers have DIED because they refused to leave their computer.

Kudos to the Koreans. If only everyone was prepared to risk fatal repercussions to level up their characters...

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Dude. Zombies.

As of yesterday, Left 4 Dead 2 is the game that I'm anticipating most. The latest PC Gamer did a cover story on Left 4 dead 2. Here's what I remember.

1. It's set in the south (French Quarter, Savannah, at least one farm).
2. There's a bit more story to this one than the original L4D.
3. Five maps, not four.
4. Four all new characters (news anchor, high school sports coach, crazed redneck dude, a con man).
5. Buncha new zombie types in addition to the ones we've already seen. One that's extra super fast, one that's about half the strength of a tank but faster, and one that throws stuff.

There's some screenshots at the link below if you're curious. It's supposed to hit shelves holiday 2009.

http://www.denofgeek.com/games/267934/left_4_dead_2_seven_screenshots_released.html

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I'll see your Left 4 Dead 2, and raise you Dead Rising 2.
dr2-copy.gif

I win. :D

Tomothy_Mayhem

Registered
Reaction score
Nobody had better dig on the Koreans. Those chaps are COMMITED. They are determined to wring out every last morsel of enjoyment from their games, and we should respect their geek prowess. Hell, there have been cases where gamers have DIED because they refused to leave their computer.

Kudos to the Koreans. If only everyone was prepared to risk fatal repercussions to level up their characters...

yeh I remember in one of my PC powerplays had an article about a korean guy called "Dying what you do best" and the guy died from over access to TV dinners, lack of sleep and a stuffed up bowel system.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
It's addictive, especially the Achievements. Once you get past the idiotic (and arbitrary) rules governing the zombies swarm patterns, which includes hiding in the toilets when they get too much to handle, it is brilliant.

The ending, which I'm not going to spoil, is great. I've got all the Achievements bar two (getting everyone out safely and taking out the chopper). Normally I manage to get about 30-50% in any given game, but I kept coming back to DR.

Who can argue with a game that not only lets you drive over zombies in a truck, but positively encourages you to do so?

Marcus

sept 5th and I'm Out
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On the subject of 40k, there are 7 days left to make your submission for your short story.
A friend of mine told me about it, and he just has too much going on to proof read my story for accuracy, as I don't have that much knowledge about the subject matter of the story we agreed would be a bad ass short story. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.