Freelance Contests

Would you be interested in participating in contests in the Freelance Writing board?

• Yes

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I might read others' entries and offer feedback but not submit anything of mine.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
A year or so ago, Joanne (jdkiggins) had a couple freelance writing contests here.

There has been some interest in starting those up. I'm posting this poll to gauge interest before I present it to Mac & admins for approval.

With the contests, in one, I wrote a short piece on getting organized. After that, I entered it in a contest through the Oklahoma Writers' Federation and won first place with it. Then after that, it was published in WritingforDollars.com.

All that to say that you can get good feedback and eventually sell what you entered into a contest. So let me know if you're interested.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I LOVED those contests! I ended up with some really good pieces and it was a great kick in the pants to get moving if I was lazy. ;)

Julie - I say we gang up put the smackdown on hide from encourage Lostgirl to participate. :D

Amy Doodle -- bring IT (but leave the dog at home, no fair)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Yep. I'm game.

Just curious though: If it's posted here on AW as part of a contest, would that be considered published? Or is it taken down/deleted once the winner is chosen? All these years I've wondered about that, considering work posted online should be submitted to other places for second serial reprint rights. Anyone?

Last edited:

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Stormie--they password protect the thread with the contest entries so that search engines don't pick it up and therefore it's private to us.

Someone near and dear to me (note the dog reference in Wyntermoon's post; she's obviously frightened and intimidated :D) got his first published credit with a Father's Day story he entered. He never would have started writing again without those contests and I owe Joanne a debt of gratitude I can never repay.

I'm all for encouraging LostGirl. Her peanut butter and jelly eating detective boy is my (21 year old) son's hero!

HEY WYNTER! Bring on the Zombies. I've got special anti-Zombie weapons!

Last edited:

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
If it's comedy, watch out. Got muh confidence back and ready to make ya soil yer britches.

Maybe, Wynter, we could get Jen to let us have co-authored contests?

I suggest, A Day In The Life...

I'm only skeert of one person with that though and she posted [almost]right above me.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm in...but you know me...I may never show up again. I'm very flaky.

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
[snorts] Thank goodness this is Freelancing and not Erotica or your comment would have sparked a lively conversation!

There's a new niche for me. Humorous Erotica. *I simply cannot write the word "throbbing" without giggling.*

Kevin! We need men! Don't desert us! *And ignore any references to throbbing and giggling. You know how girls are.*

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
Yes! We throb, we giggle, and sometimes, if you watch close-
we Wiggggggle!

-Hey, just noticed:
We talk about doing some old things and the old group shows up! Part of it, anyway.

Amydoodle- I so want to co-author a Humorotica novel with you. Craig Ferguson could be the windswept hero on the cover.

Last edited:

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Totally lol'ing at you guys this morning. :)

I'll definitely consider a co-authored contest. Depending on the outcome of this poll, I'll do another poll on what to start with and we'll take it from there. :)

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
LOL, I noticed the same thing. Trot out "freelance contest" and we're all sucked right back in!

Amy - Julie -- who is in for a threesome? Kevin, you can watch. ;)

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm late to the party, but I'd be interested. Thanks for bringing it up Jen! :)