PDA

View Full Version : If you could live anywhere in the UK, where would you choose?

seun
06-02-2009, 04:49 PM
I've been thinking about where I'd move to if I could choose anywhere in the country. Shropshire looks nice (I like green :D) and so do Devon and Cornwall. Basically, anywhere that's green and isn't the craphole I live in at the moment.

So, where would you choose if you could go anywhere in the UK?

Mr Flibble
06-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Um

right here. Mid Sussex. No too many tourists like Cornwall and Devon. Green everywhere. Friendly. Bootiful countryside. And currently hotter than Spain.

Oh and don't forget the traditional Sussex Half...

Although I've hankered after living in the Scottish Highlands or Islands for a while. Shame I'm allergic to the damn midges!

Wayne K
06-02-2009, 05:03 PM
SP's cupboard.

I have a reservation.

seun
06-02-2009, 05:04 PM
In SP's cupboard.

I have a reservation.

Would that be her cupboard full of Iron Bru? :tongue

Parametric
06-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Dorset is inching ahead of Devon and Cornwall in the staggeringly beautiful countryside stakes for me.

scarletpeaches
06-02-2009, 05:10 PM
SP's cupboard.

I have a reservation.

He does you know. :D

Would that be her cupboard full of Iron Bru? :tongue

No, he gets the ironing board/vacuum cleaner cupboard by the front door.

The "Irn Bru" (vodka) cupboard is in the kitchen. :D

Anyway, back on topic. First choice would be Edinburgh. Second, Leeds.

Mumut
06-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Port St Mary or the top of the hills before reaching Cregneish on the Isle of Man. Off the main tourist drag in the Lake District. Llangollen (not in the holiday season). The hills to the south east of Loch Ness.

But there's a proviso. I'd only live in the UK during the part of the year the temperature is over 20degrees celsius during the day. I don't find a place fit for human habitation below that temperature. That's why I'm selling up in Brisbane - it's too cold in winter!

vrabinec
06-02-2009, 05:15 PM
The wife and I visited England a couple years ago, and there was a little town we drove through on our way to Amberly Castle that sticks out for some reason. Billingshurst (I think that's the name) was just right for my taste. Not too rural, not too urban.

I'd never live in London. Nice place to visit for the tourist traps, but it may as well be New York.

Samantha's_Song
06-02-2009, 05:17 PM
London, but the nicer parts, like Kensington or Chelsea etc, not the ragamuffin parts. Other than that, I'd move right out of the UK.
I actually live in the country, on the edge of an interbred infested village, and I absolutely hate it, and the village mentality as a whole. I'm much more a town or city gal.

Mr Flibble
06-02-2009, 05:21 PM
The wife and I visited England a couple years ago, and there was a little town we drove through on our way to Amberly Castle that sticks out for some reason. Billingshurst (I think that's the name) was just right for my taste. Not too rural, not too urban.

That's about 5 miles from me...

Parametric
06-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Ooh! I remember my dream place in Dorset: Corfe. It's rammed with tourists during the summer, but I could put up with them for living in the shadow of that spectacular castle.

(You're driving along minding your own business, wending your way through a wood, and this freaking huge castle LEAPS out at you. It's so big and so close all of a sudden you're ducking so it doesn't fall on your head. I still get that sense of wonder every time I go back to Corfe.)

Samantha's_Song
06-02-2009, 05:29 PM
One of these days, I'm going to drive to 'Uckfield' and change the sign. :D

That's about 5 miles from me...

Mr Flibble
06-02-2009, 05:34 PM
That and Cuckfield get their signs *ahem* editted quite regular :D

seun
06-02-2009, 05:40 PM
That and Cuckfield get their signs *ahem* editted quite regular :D

May I just say...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Thank you.

backslashbaby
06-02-2009, 05:42 PM
:D

I didn't get around enough to fully judge. But Oxford is a great town, really. I was surprised how much it feels like a small town. The countryside is very nice and nearby.

I need more trees/countryside than London has. Same happens for most large cities, obviously.

Parametric
06-02-2009, 05:57 PM
I need more trees/countryside than London has. Same happens for most large cities, obviously.

I love Bristol, but I get a little lonely for the countryside from time to time. That's when I escape for a long weekend at the family caravan in Dorset - picnic at Corfe Castle, explore the ghost village at Tyneham, enjoy the sea view at Weymouth, watch the lights of Portland harbour and the lighthouse on Portland Bill at night from the cliff top at Durdle Door, cross the Army range, hike along the spectacular cliffs and hear nothing but the wind ...

Grump grump living next to a building site in a city grump. :(

Priene
06-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Right where I am: South Norfolk.

Especially on a day like today.

Samantha's_Song
06-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Oxford is a city. :)

But Oxford is a great town, really. I was surprised how much it feels like a small town. The countryside is very nice and nearby.

Priene
06-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Oxford is a city. :)

No, it's a comma.

backslashbaby
06-02-2009, 06:36 PM
The comma took me a second :D

Yeah, city/town. It's a Southern thing; we don't distinguish. Sorry :D

dpaterso
06-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Anywhere there's a broadband connection. A view out the window would be nice but otherwise, no real preferences.

Although I've hankered after living in the Scottish Highlands or Islands for a while. Shame I'm allergic to the damn midges!
Wise words, a swarm of Scottish midges can strip an adult human to the bone in under two minutes. I saw it happen! Poor Dougal didn't make it into the tent in time. He only got one finger inside before I closed the zipper. Come morning, it was a' that was left of him. I'm sorry, Dougal!

-Derek

firedrake
06-02-2009, 06:55 PM
God forbid, if US Immigration decides not to approve our visas, I'll have to start thinking about this....

My heart says N. Yorks Moors

common sense dictates somewhere further south...I'd go back to Lambourn (W.Berks) or maybe West Suffolk.

Samantha's_Song
06-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Hey, if you came back here, and somewhere quite near the south, we could meet up for a chin-wag. ;)

God forbid, if US Immigration decides not to approve our visas, I'll have to start thinking about this....

My heart says N. Yorks Moors

common sense dictates somewhere further south...I'd go back to Lambourn (W.Berks) or maybe West Suffolk.

firedrake
06-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey, if you came back here, and somewhere quite near the south, we could meet up for a chin-wag. ;)

That we could, missus. :D

Samantha's_Song
06-02-2009, 07:14 PM
For what you said on FaceBook, you and me are going to have words, madame! :poke: :rant: :whip: :tongue

That we could, missus. :D

spamwarrior
06-02-2009, 08:05 PM
I don't know. Scotland. But is that in the UK? Somewhere countryside, with lots of sheep.

Mr Flibble
06-02-2009, 09:06 PM
I don't know. Scotland. But is that in the UK? .

I almost *facepalmed* but you got beat by the guy I once heard asking a Scot what part of England Scotland was in.

It was an interesting brawl.

If you want a chance with the sheep, Scotland's a good bet. All ones in Wales are taken :D *Sings* Sheep, sheep everywhere, you've gotta wear a woolly if you want to pulla bloke.

Priene
06-02-2009, 09:22 PM
If you want a chance with the sheep, Scotland's a good bet. All ones in Wales are taken :D *Sings* Sheep, sheep everywhere, you've gotta wear a woolly if you want to pulla bloke.

Oh, you mussel-chomping, pearly-queening, regional-stereotyping suvverner, you.

Mr Flibble
06-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Dreadfully sorry old chap, you appear to have mistaken me for a Londoner.

Cozzz they talkz like this now boy where Izz liven, iznet? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Samantha's_Song
06-02-2009, 11:18 PM
We duz? Er, I mean, we do? :D

Cozzz they talkz like this now boy where Izz liven, iznet? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mr Flibble
06-02-2009, 11:20 PM
I used to, until I lived up north and got the pee taken outta me for sounding posh lol ( that's like accusing Alf Garnett of being liberal)

But yup, all my family talk like that. My Gran pronounced Horsham as Awesome :D

And I do say izznet from time to time.

Samantha's_Song
06-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Hmm, with all the zeds, I thought you were trying to sound like the London youth of today, not posh. :D

I live between Oxford and London, in jolly old Buckinghamshire, what! I don't talk posh though; one of my brother's friends said that we were the only Polish Eastenders he knew. :D

I used to, until I lived up north and got the pee taken outta me for sounding posh lol ( that's like accusing Alf Garnett of being liberal)

But yup, all my family talk like that. My Gran pronounced Horsham as Awesome :D

And I do say izznet from time to time.

Mr Flibble
06-02-2009, 11:33 PM
lol, not posh - country bumpkin. Like: we drinkz zider, dun't we?

seun
06-02-2009, 11:50 PM
You're all inbred freaks or posh bastards. Whereas I am from a city in the cultural centre of the country otherwise known as East Anglia.

To my shame.

waylander
06-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Too many places vying for my favourite.
I'm from the New Forest and sometimes feel I'd like to live back there.
Cornwall - damn bleak in winter though.
A nice village in the Surrey commuter belt under an hour to London which is where I am now.

Mr Flibble
06-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Now Waylander - he's dead posh him. Doesn't even drop his h's or nuffink :D

aadams73
06-03-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm particularly fond of the Cambridgeshire area. Actually, I just really love Ely Cathedral.

KTC
06-03-2009, 12:33 AM
So, where would you choose if you could go anywhere in the UK?

Nowhere near the UK. That's my final answer.

waylander
06-03-2009, 01:13 AM
Nah. That's fine.
We'll manage without you

eyeblink
06-03-2009, 02:28 AM
The comma took me a second :D

Yeah, city/town. It's a Southern thing; we don't distinguish. Sorry :D

We do actually. Guildford, Surrey (a quarter hour by train away from me) is often thought to be a city as it has a cathedral and a university, but it isn't.

To be a city you need a royal charter. The Queen awards them every now and again. Inverness, Preston, Brighton and Hove, and Sunderland are recently-created cities.

As for me, I live in what was once the home of the British Army.

Samantha's_Song
06-03-2009, 03:38 AM
Surry is a beautiful county. one of my most favourite.
I always thought the cathedral, in Guildford, was beautiful, at least it looked it in the dark when driving down the Hog's back. But then we made the mistake of going to see it up close, in broad daylight, and it sure is ugly.

We do actually. Guildford, Surrey (a quarter hour by train away from me) is often thought to be a city as it has a cathedral and a university, but it isn't.

Bmwhtly
06-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Anywhere on the east-coast of Scotland. Apart from Dundee, which I drove through recently and can confirm the long-held belief that it's a ****-hole.

Priene
06-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Anywhere on the east-coast of Scotland.

Even Kirkcaldy?

seun
06-03-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm particularly fond of the Cambridgeshire area. Actually, I just really love Ely Cathedral.

That's just down the road from me. I have a load of relatives there. Never see them, though. Don't fancy getting stuck there overnight and winding up a sacrifice to the corn gods.

Samantha's_Song
06-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Are you sure your name's not Jem? I used to know a bloke called that, on another website, a travel one, and he lived around that area and hated it, and most of his relatives. :D

That's just down the road from me. I have a load of relatives there. Never see them, though. Don't fancy getting stuck there overnight and winding up a sacrifice to the corn gods.

Priene
06-03-2009, 05:13 PM

They'll slit your throat as soon as look at you out in Fenland. I'd recommend you pack a map, survival gear, heat, a quiver of silver-tipped arrows and half-kilo of garlic.

scarletpeaches
06-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Anywhere on the east-coast of Scotland. Apart from Dundee, which I drove through recently and can confirm the long-held belief that it's a ****-hole.

Word.

seun
06-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Are you sure your name's not Jem? I used to know a bloke called that, on another website, a travel one, and he lived around that area and hated it, and most of his relatives. :D

The only Jem I know has a sister called Scout. :D

Wayne K
06-03-2009, 05:57 PM

Now I have to see it.

Bmwhtly
06-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Even Kirkcaldy?Well, no.
"Anywhere" actually means "Anywhere, but use common sense."

scarletpeaches
06-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Now I have to see it.

The only good thing about Dundee is the road out.

Samantha's_Song
06-03-2009, 06:03 PM
I've never actually been there, but I don't like Dundee cake either. :tongue

The only good thing about Dundee is the road out.

BenPanced
06-03-2009, 07:24 PM

The only Jem I know has a sister called Scout. :D
The only Jem I know is truly outrageous.

So far, I've been to London, Slough, and Croydon. London's vying for my attention, though.

Thump
06-03-2009, 07:27 PM
I live in Oxford right now and I want to stay, at least for a while :D I wouldn't mind moving to London though, if I could afford it. Mind you, Oxford's not cheap either >_<

Samantha's_Song
06-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Slough? Bwahahaha. I bet you didn't want to go back for a second time, it's a dump! :D

So far, I've been to London, Slough, and Croydon. London's vying for my attention, though.

Priene
06-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Slough? Bwahahaha. I bet you didn't want to go back for a second time, it's a dump! :D

Croydon's no work of art, either.

NeuroFizz
06-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Give me an office and research lab in either the Gatty Marine Laboratory (St. Andrews, Scotland) or the Plymouth Marine Laboratory (Plymouth) and I'd be happy.

Samantha's_Song
06-03-2009, 08:22 PM
I think we've only ever driven through, or past, Croydon and not stopped to admire the scenery.

seun
06-03-2009, 09:28 PM
The only Jem I know is truly outrageous.

I bet you fancy Big Suze, don't you?

ReallyRong
06-04-2009, 03:57 AM
For me, forget anywhere apart from London if you're young. Every night was like a Fresher's ball. (Ponders for a while over fond memories). (Now back online). For others, I think it has to be Dorset, for the fact that it's not totally remote, the greenery, the sea and the Jurrasic Coast. And if you live where I do, you have to drive through the outer reaches of the New Forest to get there. Mind you, I'm a typical Southerner and I rarely venture north of Watford Gap, so I'm sure my view is myopic. I did visit Bradford and the Yorkshire moors once and liked them both very much, though not as much as I'd liked Dorset. I went to Manchester when it was Madchester, and had a really good time. It even stayed dry for the weekend. I visited Edinburgh and Glasgow, and found the former to be architecturally nice (all Georgian, much like Dublin) but couldn't fathom out where was the commerce that drove this place. And the natives weren't that friendly to me as an Englishman. The place had a snobby feel about it. Glasgow on the other hand was Victorian and far more industrially looking. And the locals were friendly too.

KTC
06-04-2009, 04:03 AM
Nah. That's fine.
We'll manage without you

I'm just bittering on UK right now because, according to my ticket, I have a 9 hour layover in Heathrow. Too much to sit and do nothing and too little to do something. I've decided to be angry with the whole of the UK.

scarletpeaches
06-04-2009, 04:05 AM
The first time in living memory we can't blame Canada.

writerterri
06-04-2009, 04:07 AM
Where's the UK?

KTC
06-04-2009, 04:07 AM
The first time in living memory we can't blame Canada.

This is true. Although...buying the tickets in Canada and flying out of Toronto may have something to do with it too. Maybe I should just hire a jet?

Maybe some AW Londoners will come to visit me???? give me a tour of the airport, mayhaps???

ETA: Or should that be London AWers?

KTC
06-04-2009, 04:08 AM
Where's the UK?

Over there.

writerterri
06-04-2009, 04:13 AM
Over there.

Then I'll pick right there!

Wayne K
06-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Where's the UK?
In Kentucky.

BenPanced
06-04-2009, 07:37 AM
The last time I went through Croydon in 2002, I had to stop at Woolworths; the chain had been closed for over 10 years in the US so it was fun to tell people I got the first four Harry Potter books there.

Priene
06-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Where's the UK?

It stands for Ukrainischen Konigsreich. We all live in the suburbs of greater Kiev.

Bmwhtly
06-04-2009, 11:25 AM
The only good thing about Dundee is the road out.The best view of dundee is in the rear-view mirror.

Cassiopeia
06-04-2009, 12:11 PM
This is true. Although...buying the tickets in Canada and flying out of Toronto may have something to do with it too.
No that's the standard layover time when flying to Africa via England. I always grab the London Underground to Victoria Station and go shopping and have lunch with a friend.

Plenty of time to look for bookshops and what not. Oxford street has an awesome book store if I remember correctly. I'm quite sure all around that area are some great ones.

It was on one of my trips to London that I found a three volume set of the complete works of Shakespeare, red leather bound with etched wood carving illustrations...published in the 1800's.

jodiodi
06-04-2009, 02:34 PM
I've never been to the UK, but it's always been a dream of mine since I was a small child. I love books set in the area, the architecture, the history. When I was a kid, we used to even have tea every afternoon at 1600 and I still have quite a collection of tea services. When we lived in Alaska a few years ago, a neighbor and I would get together and drink tea every day and have little sandwiches.

I know we were silly, but it was fun.

It's always been my desire to go, but I've pretty much given up on it. Still, I can dream.

Parametric
06-04-2009, 04:07 PM
slight /threadjack:

Dorset is inching ahead of Devon and Cornwall in the staggeringly beautiful countryside stakes for me.

My parents just sold the family home this morning, and we are officially moving to Dorset!

:hooray:

Bmwhtly
06-04-2009, 04:17 PM
we are officially moving to Dorset!

:hooray:Isn't there a terrible joke about Dorset?

Oh yeah.

Someone: "I went to Poole yesterday"
Someone Else: "In Dorset?"
Someone: "Yes, I'd recommend it to anyone."

seun
06-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I've never been to the UK, but it's always been a dream of mine since I was a small child. I love books set in the area, the architecture, the history. When I was a kid, we used to even have tea every afternoon at 1600 and I still have quite a collection of tea services. When we lived in Alaska a few years ago, a neighbor and I would get together and drink tea every day and have little sandwiches.

Yep, that's exactly what life is like in the UK.

In the 1950s. :D

BenPanced
06-04-2009, 06:50 PM

Was it in black & white back then, like they show in the movies?

katiemouse
06-04-2009, 07:06 PM
I would go back to the Isle of Wight where I was brought up, or to Bradford on Avon where I was born............ sigh, been away 48 years, with three trips back, I cannot stand the cold brrrrrrrrrrr

blacbird
06-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Chipping Norton, somewhere out westish of London, just because the name is so cool. It's right next door to Hook Norton.

caw

jodiodi
06-04-2009, 09:28 PM

Exactly.

Hence I called it my silly little dream.;)

Old Hack
06-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Good grief, this thread is like my life.

I live on the Yorkshire moors; my sister and parents live in Much Wenlock, which is one of the prettiest towns in Shropshire; I grew up in Hayes, near Heathrow airport; and my parents used to live on the Isle of Wight.

All are lovely apart from that third place, which I wouldn't recommend to anyone. And yes, I DO drink tea every afternoon, but only ever on my own. I like to be quiet.

waylander
06-05-2009, 01:39 AM
Chipping Norton, somewhere out westish of London, just because the name is so cool. It's right next door to Hook Norton.

caw

There's a rather fine brewery in Hook Norton http://www.hooknortonbrewery.co.uk/

jodiodi
06-05-2009, 02:37 AM
What can I say? I grew up reading Agatha Christie books which totally shaped my view of Britain. I probably associate the ideal with the great memories I have of reading those books in the front porch swing at Granny's.

My husband was stationed in Germany for several years, then Italy for a few more. He never got to Britain either. And, of course, his time in Europe was before we got married. He was also stationed in Hawaii before we married. Where did I get to go? Tennessee and Alaska.

blacbird
06-05-2009, 05:51 AM
I live on the Yorkshire moors; my sister and parents live in Much Wenlock,s, I DO drink tea every afternoon, but only ever on my own. I like to be quiet.

Another great English town name. May I assume it's near Less Wenlock? Or Even More Wenlock?

caw

sadron
06-05-2009, 12:40 PM
On country side, not in the city.

Bmwhtly
06-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Chipping Norton, somewhere out westish of London, just because the name is so cool.Cool? I always thought it sounded like some sort of disease.

Priene
06-05-2009, 02:16 PM
I always thought it sounded like some sort of disease.

That's Chipping Sodbury.

waylander
06-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Chipping originally meant 'market'

Mr Flibble
06-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Another great English town name. May I assume it's near Less Wenlock? Or Even More Wenlock?

caw

I personally think Wigtwizzle beats it. Or Nempnet Thrubwell. Or maybe Abinger Hammer?

SilverPhoenix
06-06-2009, 12:03 AM
London.

I'm going to live in North London later this year so wish fulfilled I guess =P

I'm also a fan of Southend and Chelmsford. Romford is good too, purely for the shopping centre :tongue

BenPanced
06-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Good grief, this thread is like my life.

I live on the Yorkshire moors; my sister and parents live in Much Wenlock, which is one of the prettiest towns in Shropshire; I grew up in Hayes, near Heathrow airport; and my parents used to live on the Isle of Wight.

All are lovely apart from that third place, which I wouldn't recommend to anyone. And yes, I DO drink tea every afternoon, but only ever on my own. I like to be quiet.

caw
"And there was much wenlock."
"Again?! We had wenlock for dinner last night!"

truelyana
06-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I am happy where I am for now..

..at the edge of South London, entering Surrey in a cul de sac facing a private field and the Wandle River passing through.

I love all parts of the UK.

It is very beautiful, with such bio-diversity.

truelyana
06-06-2009, 04:16 PM
London.

I'm going to live in North London later this year so wish fulfilled I guess =P

I'm also a fan of Southend and Chelmsford. Romford is good too, purely for the shopping centre :tongue

What part of North London? Uxbridge? Amersham? Or somewhere farther up in the other direction?

Old Hack
06-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Truelyana, while Uxbridge and Amersham are both north of the river, they're actually both in west London--they're west(ish) of Hayes, where I grew up, which is decidedly west. North London is considered to start around Willesden, and move over to Finsbury Park, Islington, Harringay and the lovely Stoke Newington.

I love north London. It's wonderful.

Can't remember if I mentioned this but the aforementioned Much Wenlock is home to Wenlock Books, which won an award for being one of the best independent bookshops in the UK: it might even have come top of the lists. It's wonderful, and serves coffee and cake on Saturday mornings, and lets you sit at a big round table and read your books while you eat. Gorgeous.

eyeblink
06-07-2009, 12:26 PM
I personally think Wigtwizzle beats it. Or Nempnet Thrubwell. Or maybe Abinger Hammer?

If we're going to get into silly place names, there's Penistone (pronounced "penny-stuhn" in case you were wondering) and a pair of Twatts, one in Orkney and the other in Shetland.

qwerty
06-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Then there's Piddle Lane in Dorset, and Spittle in the Street in Suffolk.

truelyana
06-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Truelyana, while Uxbridge and Amersham are both north of the river, they're actually both in west London--they're west(ish) of Hayes, where I grew up, which is decidedly west. North London is considered to start around Willesden, and move over to Finsbury Park, Islington, Harringay and the lovely Stoke Newington.

I love north London. It's wonderful.

Can't remember if I mentioned this but the aforementioned Much Wenlock is home to Wenlock Books, which won an award for being one of the best independent bookshops in the UK: it might even have come top of the lists. It's wonderful, and serves coffee and cake on Saturday mornings, and lets you sit at a big round table and read your books while you eat. Gorgeous.

Good point. I just say North, as it is up there somewhere, not concerned with the actual directions in the map.

backslashbaby
06-07-2009, 07:28 PM
I remember seeing the houses along the Thames out of London towards Oxford. Those looked 'country' enough for me, actually, with beautiful gardens backing onto the water. And so close to London!

I love the pronunciations. I was asking about the train to Bicester, in my NC accent:
"Bi-kester? Bi-chester?"

Of course, it's Bis-ter :D

Mr Flibble
06-07-2009, 07:53 PM
There is much fun to be had listening to Americans trying to say 'Worcestershire'

But not as much as persuading them that Stella is a perfectly normal lager, on a par with Miller Lite. Or asking them to try the local ale. :D I'm personally responsible for getting several addicted to Newcastle Brown and Old Speckled Hen. Once they'd recovered, obviously.

Parametric
06-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Then there's Piddle Lane in Dorset, and Spittle in the Street in Suffolk.

I love the names in the Piddle Valley. Tolpuddle, Piddlehinton, Piddletrenthide, Briantspuddle, Puddletown, Affpuddle. Genius. :D

edit: Pronouncing English place names is hilariously difficult. You spell Chiswick but say Chizzick. Norwich is Norrich without a w-sound, but Ipswich is Ipswich with a w-sound. Middlesbrough and Edinburgh are pronounced with the same ending. Leicester is Lester. How do you even pronounce Cirencester? I have no freaking idea.

Priene
06-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Norwich is Norrich without a w-sound

Norwich is pronounced Norridge. You int from round hair are ya, bor?

Parametric
06-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Norwich is pronounced Norridge. You int from round hair are ya, bor?

Not a lot of difference between Norrich and Norridge to my ear. I'm from Northamptonshire, which is close ... sort of. :tongue

waylander
06-13-2009, 11:46 PM
I went to Norwich once; it was closed

Priene
06-14-2009, 12:01 AM
I went to Norwich once; it was closed

Probably because we saw your avatar and figured it might be best to stay quiet.