Come in here and tell me your experiences with Soy Milk...

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not anti-dairy, by any means, but I've been trying to be healthier lately.

And, let's face it, I friking love cereal (even the really healthy ones), and can't fathom giving up dairy just for that reason alone.

That being said, last night I bought Soy Milk instead of regular milk and eat me a hearty bowl of Kashi (cereal).

Annnnnd...it tasted like regular milk to me. I was surprised. I mean, there's a part of my brain that consciously recognized "hey, you idiot, this is soy" which makes me skittish about the taste, but it wasn't bad.

Soy Milk > Cow's Milk?????

Your opinions please.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I've used Vanilla flavored soy milk in cereal. Kashi, mostly. I liked it. I didn't enjoy a big glass of it by itself, though, at all. I thought that was pretty nasty.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I think it tastes okay. I cut way back on drinking it after soy was linked with estrogen. I didn't particularly want to grow a third boob.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
soy was linked with estrogen.

mouse1vo3.gif

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If it grew on your back, the husband might take you out dancing more.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Soy milk rocks! It depends highly on the brand, though.

The estrogen debate is complicated, granted (does it bind to receptors and therefore block estrogens... ah, tricky, eh?). But Japanese folks have normal boobage, so I'm good with that :)

Now, if y'all can tell me where to find some that acts right for a latte, let me know. Odd frothage - I can't have that.

Reaction score
I'm thinking of switching. When I'm brewing a migraine, have one, or am recovering from one, dairy turns my stomach.

So I'm wondering, if soy tastes the same, would it still make me gag?

But in theory it's easier on the stomach, right?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I didn't care for the taste of soy milk, but I like rice milk. It's a bit watery for some people, but I like it.

Soy was just...weird. Can't quite describe it. It almost made my mouth feel dry after I drank it. Blech.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'd think it'd be easier on the stomach. Milk is odd in breaking down for a lot of people, or at different times. If it's just the taste, you'd have to try the soy milk and see.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind the chocolate stuff, but I can only drink it when the carton's been just opened. I find it starts... thickening... after just a few days in the fridge. Ick.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I think it tastes okay. I cut way back on drinking it after soy was linked with estrogen. I didn't particularly want to grow a third boob.

My acupuncturist actually forbade me to consume any more soy because of some hormonal imbalances. He said it's fine for most people, but because my hormones were already out of whack*, it could cause problems.

* SP, I said WHACK, not WACK

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
No. Just...no. I'm not a picky eater, but that soy taste really icks me out.

ETA: I'm stunned and amazed that no one has made a breast milk joke yet. Rob-e-i-e-i-o probably will.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I used to add Parmalat soy to my coffee - it had a weaker taste than my regular half n half but I adjusted - I didn't think it was that bad. But I have to admit the soy/estrogen debate has had me skittish.

For the past 3 weeks I've been adjusting to non-fat half n half - oh, give me fat or give me death ...

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here's the thing. Doctors always want people to choose this and that product to be healthier. (regardless of how much it costs)

So what's the main problem with choosing soy milk? It costs MORE than regular milk.

I have a family to feed, so therefore I have to choose whatever is inexpensive.

ETA: Oh, and that Kashi cereal tastes like cardboard to me.

Last edited:

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here's the thing. Doctors always want people to choose this and that product to be healthier. (regardless of how much it costs)

So what's the main problem with choosing soy milk? It costs MORE than regular milk.

I have a family to feed, so therefore I have to choose whatever is inexpensive.

I used to think that way too. When you live on a fixed income, eating healthy is pretty rough because it's so expensive.

But then I realized something....What is more important than your health? Even if it costs a little more to eat healthy, so be it. I'll make the sacrifices in other areas of my life (how much stuff do I pay for that I don't really NEED?) to make sure I am eating as healthy as I can so that by the time I am old, perhaps I won't be so "decripit" that I can't enjoy my last years.

I'm not saying that buying soy milk is the healthier option. I really don't know. Honestly, I think regular dairy products are probably just as fine for you in moderation as anything else.

Just saying that the "eat what is most inexpensive because I can't afford to eat healthy" mindset is something I'm trying to move away from because I now realize the value of my health.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
My boyfriend has Chron's disease. (I guess that's how you spell it, I'm too lazy to look it up right now.)

He was a heavy milk drinker and he can't drink it now. He drinks the vanilla Silk. I'm a heavy milk drinker, too, but I tried it one day. That stuff is better than I thought it would be, better than some soy juice I got a while back and tried.

It kind of tasted like rehydrated powdered milk. It's meh to drink, he'll drink a cup now and again. It's best with cereal.

I love Kashi.

Reaction score
Crohn's. Sorry, don't mean to be picky; it's in my family too.

There's a chance I could have it, but I'm too chicken to get the tests and just put up with the occasional pain.

My uncle's been on steroids for years and yet he's stick thin. I guess Crohn's does that to you. I might email him and ask if he drinks soy milk or other alternatives...although I'm not sure his red wine habit does the disease much good...

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
The taste really depends on the brand. You can buy watery grassy sugary flavor, or richer, creamier types. I only started on it because of my lactose issues, but I REALLY like the way it generates less mucous in my sinuses and throat. You really notice the difference if you have dairy milk after a break. Vanilla soy milk is fantastic for baking cakes, and my family, even most of the non-soy drinkers love chocolate Zensoy milk, and the chocolate puddings are very chocolatey and yummy.

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Um, guys. I hate to interrupt, when you refer to milk, you are talking about commercially homogonized milk harvested from BGH injected cattle here, aren't you? In my experience, consuming organic cow milk has very few side effects, even on those folks that are supposedly 'lacotose intolerant', such as my mother. We have our own little milk cow, and nobody has a problem with her milk, even those that have struggled with milk issues, before. Might be the artificial hormones and the harvesting method that large commercial producers use, that is to blame, rather than the milk, itself, guys.

That having been said, and recognizing that organic milk is expensive and that it is impractial for most folks to keep a handy little milk cow in their backyard...

Organic soy milk is what we turn to when the cow is dry. (roughly half the year). It does seem to leave an...odd...taste in the mouth, sort of a dry feeling...but it's not bad when used on cereal and whatnot. I just find that it is a little hard to make it taste COLD like milk is supposed to be. The mouth feel is a bit off.