PDA

View Full Version : Call for Submissions - Scribblers and Ink Spillers

Beach Bunny
06-02-2009, 09:42 AM
I've just launched my new publishing business, Scribblers and Ink Spillers, LLC and am putting out a call for submissions.

"Emerald Tales" - initially an ezine will go to print as soon as possible. A magazine of short fiction of a cross-section of genres all written on the same theme. Stories should be 4,000 words or less. The theme for the first issue is "Follow the Butterflies". Payment will be a flat rate of $40 per story accepted for publication.

Details are on the website: www.scribblersandinkspillers.com

You can also email me if you have questions at: diana at scribblersandinkspillers dot com.

Izz
06-02-2009, 10:34 AM
I notice you accept novellas as well. Is that also for a flat rate of $40? Or is the pay rate similar to the installment rate for serials?

Beach Bunny
06-03-2009, 01:17 AM
I notice you accept novellas as well. Is that also for a flat rate of $40? Or is the pay rate similar to the installment rate for serials?

No, I haven't yet determined the pay rate for the novellas as I will be launching that line after I get "Emerald Tales" out. But, it will be royalties on the sales. What the percentage will be, I haven't yet decided on. :)

Susie
06-03-2009, 07:15 AM
That is fabulous Bunny. Very happy for you and hope it's a huge success. If I have something I can submit, you know I'm there! Calls for :Cake:!

Unimportant
06-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Beach Bunny, do you accept reprints?

dgrintalis
06-07-2009, 12:52 AM
Best of luck with the Ezine, Bunny!

possibleimp
06-07-2009, 02:13 AM
good luck in your venture; it's great to see someone launching out.

stormie
06-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Sounds interesting--I'm going to go take a look. :)

Millicent M'Lady
06-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Good luck with the ezine Beach Bunny and congratulations.:)

CowgirlPoet
06-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Are you focusing on any particular genre in your fiction? (ie, do you accept historical fiction?)

smsarber
06-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Best of luck in this venture!! I don't have anything to submit at this time, but will always have you in mind. Once again, Good Luck!:partyguy:

brainstorm77
06-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Best of luck to you.

Beach Bunny
07-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Update:

Wow! I had eighty subs for the first issue which comes out on Augist 1. (next week)

The themes for the next two issues are:
October issue - Masks or Appearances can be Deceiving - Deadline is Sept. 1, 2009

December issue - Winter Solstice - deadline is November 1, 2009

Sorry, that I didn't reply to some of these questions, I got busy and forgot to check back. I also forgot to bookmark the thread. :e2smack:

I'm looking for all genres, except Erotica. Whatever genre you write in, I am interested in a story that fits the theme.

At this point in time, I do accept reprints assuming that you have had the rights returned to you. (I think that's the right lingo to use.)

I would love to see more Romance, Mystery, and Westerns. I didn't get too many of those for the first issue.

Susie
07-26-2009, 03:56 AM
Gee, sure wish I had something to sub, Bunny, but if I can think of something, I'll send it in. That's super about the amt. of subs!

CDaniel
07-29-2009, 12:47 AM
My genre is western, primarily. Could I send you one as soon as its ready?

Beach Bunny
07-29-2009, 06:52 AM
My genre is western, primarily. Could I send you one as soon as its ready?

Yes, please.

One of the things that I am trying to show with Emerald Tales is the breadth of human creativity, the wide variety of stories that one gets from a single prompt. The more genres I get subs from, the more variety I have to put in an issue. :)

Williebee
07-29-2009, 06:58 AM
How'd I miss this. Congrats and good fortunes milady.

Beach Bunny
07-31-2009, 06:41 AM
How'd I miss this. Congrats and good fortunes milady.

I didn't post it in P&CE. :)

Thanks, Williebee. :Hug2:

VeggieChick
07-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Just a quick question: will the print version start with the first issue? I like paper a lot better and would love to get my hands on an issue, whether it includes my stories or not.

Beach Bunny
08-04-2009, 04:34 AM
Sorry for the delay in answering. I needed to switch webhosting companies the day before the launch and I've been dealing with that mess.

Yes, Emerald Tales is available in both print and electronic formats. You can order through the mail with an order form or you can order online and pay through paypal or with a check or money order.

sissybaby
08-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Have never been to this forum before, so want to add my congrats and best wishes to the others, albeit rather late in the day.

Jumpy2
08-25-2009, 08:04 PM
woohoo! I'll be submitting!

Writer14
08-27-2009, 12:43 AM
I'll be submitting soon, hopefully.

sommemi
08-28-2009, 12:38 AM
This gives me much incentive for submitting. I've been wanting to edit/fix up an old writing of mine from ages ago that's been in a drawer calling to me. Do you have more themes for the upcoming months yet?

MumblingSage
08-28-2009, 05:04 PM
What sort of distribution plan do you have in mind for the novella line?

Beach Bunny
09-16-2009, 06:11 AM
I just posted the theme for February: Carnivale - The deadline is January 1, 2010

December's theme is Winter Solstice - The deadline is November 1, 2009

The novella line will be sold through the website at first. I hope to try to get it and Emerald Tales into my local independent bookstore within a few months. I live in a college town, a lot of students do read.

VeggieChick
09-19-2009, 01:03 AM
Any chance you'll be including covers on the site? Seeing what the finished mags/novellas look like would be nice and would surely entice more people to buy a copy.

Beach Bunny
10-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Any chance you'll be including covers on the site? Seeing what the finished mags/novellas look like would be nice and would surely entice more people to buy a copy.

I posted pics of what Emerald Tales and Crystal Codices look like. Unfortunately, the pics do not do justice to the finished product. I'm not printing them they way other publishers do, I'm going with a different method.

Emerald Tales is kind of a cross between a magazine and an anthology. There are no ads in it, but it's not as long as an anthology typically is. The cover is special type of cardstock and it's hand bound with side stab binding, a technique from the 4th century CE. I've gotten a very favorable response from those who have purchased the journal about the way it looks and feels.

Crystal Codices are printed out on parchment paper and hand sewn with a medieval technique for binding folios together. I've gotten a very favorable response from those who have purchased the printed version of the novellas. You have to hold it in your hands to get the full impact of how cool they are. :)

Poetry folks, I am looking for poetry collections to print in Crystal Codices. I'm also looking for epic poetry. If you know anyone who writes epic poetry, I would be interested in reading it. :)

CACTUSWENDY
10-06-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm so happy for your business and think it is wonderful that you have such a variety. Much success with this for like a realllllly, reallllly long time. :D

joyce
10-06-2009, 04:51 PM
I wanted to also say that I'm so happy this is turning out good for you. I too wish you the best of luck and success.

Beach Bunny
10-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Thank you, both. :)

The downside is that I don't have time to play on AW anymore.:e2bummed:

Greenwolf103
10-07-2009, 04:39 PM
As a fan of all things medieval, I must say it sounds really awesome. Now I wanna purchase some copies!

Having a unique method of printing and binding your mags/novellas is definitely one way to stand out. This can contribute to long-term success.

Poetry...I mostly write rhyming poetry but I can see what I can do. I've only written one epic poem but it got lost during one of my MANY moves around the country. :cry: