• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

"Transcendent Man" and The Singularity

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe this could go in Movies and TV, but...

I was recently directed to this article "The Coming Superbrain:"
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/weekinreview/24markoff.html?_r=3&em
It's about the future of Artificial Intelligence (which if you compare past predictions to what really happened, it's been a dismal failure), and mentions Vinge's Singularity article, then mentions a new movie, "Transcendent Man" with a link to the trailer (profiling Ray Kurzweil and starring William Shatner, Stevie Wonder, surely other big names I didn't recognize in the trailer):
Profiled in the documentary “Transcendent Man,” which had its premier last month at the TriBeCa Film Festival, and with his own Singularity movie due later this year, Dr. Kurzweil has become a one-man marketing machine for the concept of post-humanism.

I've been following Kurzweil for a few decades (since his musical keyboards), and the Stevie Wonder connection goes back even further. I first hear of him when his digital piano keyboards came out - he had invented a "reader" - a device you put a book under, it reads it with a video camera which then goes to a computer which reads and SPEAKS the words. This is within reach of anyone with a personal computer today, but this was, IIRC, in the 1970's. Stevie Wonder was an early customer (Kurzweil was demonstrating his first prototype on the Today Show, and Stevie Wonder, having "seen" the show, contacted Kurzweil to buy the prototype!), and said to him "What I really need is a musical keyboard that..." and thus came Kurzweil electronic keyboards with the best piano sound of the time.

But he's certainly an interesting character, even if you think he and Verner Vinge are full of it with that "singularity" idea.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Kewl. I have nothing more to say at this point, so i'll say that again.

Kewl.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I find him terribly interesting, but at the same time I find the future he describes a little alarming. Machines with human capacity (for destruction and exploiting the weak)?Living forever (a slave to the pharmaceutical industry)? Our world, and how business and culture works around us, changing every year, or every week? You think our financial purge now is scary...

Anyway, great trailer. I'll be first in line - if in fact it plays in my state, where our perception of the world stopped changing in the 50s.

Hang of Thursdays

useless info sponge
Registered
Reaction score
I actually read this guy's book, The Fantastic Voyage, and didn't know it was the Kurzweil of keyboard fame. That's cool.

The book, btw, is pretty interesting, about how one might go about living until the Singularity. It's heavy (so heavy) on supporting evidence and claims that it's hard to get your head around it, and might, in fact, be a load of hooey -- lots of tofu and seaweed diets and hormone replacement therapies that kinda make you go: hmm...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I actually read this guy's book, The Fantastic Voyage, and didn't know it was the Kurzweil of keyboard fame. That's cool.

The book, btw, is pretty interesting, about how one might go about living until the Singularity. It's heavy (so heavy) on supporting evidence and claims that it's hard to get your head around it, and might, in fact, be a load of hooey -- lots of tofu and seaweed diets and hormone replacement therapies that kinda make you go: hmm...
He's certainly an "extremist" (though I mean that in the most endearing way). In "Fantastic Voyage" he talks about the "First Bridge" stuff (basically the limits of current knowledge on health and life extension) "second bridge" (IIRC, predicted biological advances) and "third bridge" (long-term computer advances and "uploading" one's mind to a computer, for a theoretically infinite lifetime) stuff. His "Ten Percent Solution" book ("The 10% Solution for a Healthy Life: How to Reduce Fat in Your Diet and Eliminate Virtually All Risk of Heart Disease and Cancer") is from 1992 and basically covers the "first bridge" stuff, and has a chapter on CRON (Caloric Reduction with Optimal Nutrition). The Bible of CRON is "Beyond The 120 Year Diet" by Roy Walford - it's quite dense, chock full of observations and references to diet studies from mice to people, and I find it convincing (well, intellectually anyway - I'm only partially successful in following it). I highly recommend it if you want to know the "why" of caloric reduction and the other diet suggestions.

Kurzweil's latest is "Transcend: Nine Steps to Living Well Forever" which appears to be the latest on the "First Bridge" stuff from "Fantastic Voyage." I haven't read it but the review by Bob Blum comparing it to "Fantastic Voyage" is most interesting:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1605299561/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't go in that much for Kurzweil, though I do appreciate his fanatical futurism, and I don't think that my own future predictions would be any better. As far as science fiction goes, I like the Vinge and Rucker singularities more than the Kurzweil version.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this thread - the producer/director has tweeted that "We're looking to release it first in select theaters early 2010 then it will go to VOD, DVD, Netflix, etc."
Meanwhile, Kurzweil's own movie named after his book (and his cardboard sign in my avatar) "The Singularity Is Near" is expected in theaters in late 2009:
http://singularity.com/themovie/

I've just run across yet ANOTHER film on the Singularity and about Kurzweil:
http://www.thesingularityfilm.com/

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
There are FOUR Movies - Holy Singularity, Batman!

I haven't done my Due Dilligence research - this story is a month old!
http://singularityhub.com/2009/08/13/four-singularity-movies-the-world-wants-the-future/
With four films coming out less than a year apart, it’s a pretty cool time to be interested in the future and the growth of intelligence. That’s right, four movies on the Singularity! In a year’s span. It’s kind of nuts:... All four movies have the same general topic and largely similar casts of characters, but each views the future through a different lens. Not very comforting for those curious about the potentially greatest change humanity may ever face.
I sure hope these movies come out BEFORE the singularity happens ... they'll sure be boring afterward (or laughable - "people thought the future would look like that?!?").

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was twelve years old or so, I found this amazing nonfiction book called "Great Mambo Chicken and the Transhuman Condition" by Ed Regis. It's (partly) about transhumanism, though it was written before anyone started using the word 'singularity' to talk about the technological singularity.

Anybody else read it? It's one of those books that somewhat exploded my brain as a kid. Lots of crazy stuff about dyson spheres, chickens raised to survive in high gravity, and turning ourselves into energy beams and zapping us off to the cosmos. It's all about actual scientists who hope to do this stuff, not just speculating spec-fic writers.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
This stuff is so cool!

Me, I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping really hard I survive to the singularity, while working as hard as I can to make sure its one of the nice ones. That is, I'd rather us not become slaves to a machine Over-Mind...