PDA

View Full Version : Movable Type Management (formerly Movable Type Literary Group)

steampunk
05-30-2009, 11:08 PM
MANY thanks to all posters here, esp victoriastrauss, for such detailed info. A lot to think (& worry) about here, I think.

I wanted to mention that Jason Allen Ashlock, mentioned previously in this thread, who was responsible for almost all of the Marianne Strong Agency's deals in the last 12 months per Publisher Mktplace, has left to hang his own shingle: the Moveable Type Literary Group: http://www.movabletypenyc.com/
http://www.observer.com/2009/media/gentle-jason-ashlock-ignores-recession-opens-literary-shop
I'm sure this info belongs in a new thread for this agency, but I'm a newbie & not sure how to do that or if I'm allowed!

In any case, Jason took at least one author with him: Robert Rave, who writes a glowing recommendation on his PM page: http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/jasonashlock/
This new agency has 2 sales so far per PM.

I'm not sure how to start a new thread either but I was curious if anyone else has any dealing with Mr. Ashlock. He requested my full a couple weeks ago and while I was thrilled I'm a little nervous considering the stuff above about Marianne Strong. He does have his own agency and it looks like they have sales.
Just curious if anyone else has any experience with him.

CaoPaux
06-01-2009, 08:21 PM
*split from Marianne Strong thread*

JamieB
06-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Just got a partial request 5 min. after sending query. Quick responder! :)

steampunk
06-05-2009, 12:25 AM
JamieB,

He is fast - I had the same experience when I sent my query.
Keeping those fingers crossed.

JamieB
06-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Good luck steampunk!

steampunk
06-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Good luck to you too JamieB

HapiSofi
06-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Doesn't he know to Google his proposed agency name before committing to it?

James D. Macdonald
06-06-2009, 02:48 PM
You'd do better if the name of the agency were spelled correctly. It's Movable Type Literary Group, and their page is here: http://www.movabletypenyc.com/

I'm going to go fix the thread title.

HapiSofi
06-06-2009, 03:03 PM
A lot of people are going to spell it "moveable". Either way they spell it, they're going to run headlong into a bazillion Google hits for the Movable Type that's a popular content management system.

tbrosz
06-07-2009, 09:31 AM
A lot of people are going to spell it "moveable". Either way they spell it, they're going to run headlong into a bazillion Google hits for the Movable Type that's a popular content management system.

That's okay. If they spell it right, they'll run into a website with an extremely visually annoying style. At least to me.

steampunk
07-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Well i heard back from Jason Allen Ashlock today. He said that my novel is very promising, that he has issues with the lack of action in the beginning because of the age group, that he loves the characters and that he would be interested in working with me on it. He did say that he honestly can't start revisions till the fall so for me to consider that in lieu of other readers/potential offers. He said for me to think about it and he'll call me next week.

I know that isn't an offer, but I'm still excited.
has anyone else heard from him?

JJ McCreary
07-21-2009, 10:03 PM
I have not found Movable Type Literary Agency to be responsive at all. I sent Jason an email in Feb 2009. Then overnighted manuscript in April 2009. No response to either and it is now July 2009. 5 months- that is not responsive. Some kind of feedback would be great (yes, no, etc.). Somewhere I read that his average response time is 180 days- will have to find that link again...

Giant Baby
07-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Jason's currently waiting on my ms. I queried him in January and heard back from him late may, with an apology for the wait and request for the full if it was still available. By then I'd pulled the book back in for editing after I received interesting feedback from another agent. I let him know and he said to send when ready.

Seemed like a nice guy and he had a lot of success with his former agency. I'm looking forward to sending it along in a week or two.

HorsebackWriter
07-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Came across this article on Jason Ashlock and Movable Type Literary Group while I was doing query-research:

http://www.observer.com/2009/media/gentle-jason-ashlock-ignores-recession-opens-literary-shop

Em

JamieB
07-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Came across this article on Jason Ashlock and Movable Type Literary Group while I was doing query-research:

Em

Great article! Mr. Ashlock has my full and I would love to have him as an agent. This shows he's a go getter and not afraid to put himself out there! Good stuff - thanks for the link.

Julie Worth
07-24-2009, 06:42 PM
I have not found Movable Type Literary Agency to be responsive at all. I sent Jason an email in Feb 2009. Then overnighted manuscript in April 2009. No response to either and it is now July 2009.

I'm not sure I understand. You sent an email, got no response, then sent an unrequested MS and got no response?

still alive
07-24-2009, 08:39 PM
About Movable Type Litarary Agency, where can their submission guidelines be easily found? For a guy from Jonesboro, AK--even though the Observer art quotes him saying he's from Memphis (maybe he was at the time of the article)--he certainly seems kinda pretentious with all the big words. But he's new and I think enthusiastic/crazy enough to jump in with the sharks and that's good.

You who've sent him mss., are they "big city" types? His published books don't look like his "agenda" sounds.

So please if you will, let me know what his or his fellow agents requirements are. My novel is literary "period"/historical. No need wasting time and hope on the wrong agent.

Merci Beaucoup,
still alive

Juneluv12
07-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Great article! Mr. Ashlock has my full and I would love to have him as an agent. This shows he's a go getter and not afraid to put himself out there! Good stuff - thanks for the link.

Me too, Jamie! Maybe we can be agent sisters! LOL

JamieB
07-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Still Alive,

Here's his PM page http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/jasonashlock/

The only correspondence I've had with Mr. Ashlock has been through email responding to my query letter. He's very personable.

JamieB
07-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Me too, Jamie! Maybe we can be agent sisters! LOL

Fingers crossed!

still alive
07-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Thank you, Jamie. I have another question. You said you sent a query letter, but his submission policy calls for ten pages and a one page synopsis. Is that what you did? Like most of us, I think, the word "synopsis" sends shudders down my spine!

And while I'm at it, great luck on your full. I won't try him until you have time to answer about the query letter or the pages.
Still Alive

HorsebackWriter
07-25-2009, 12:48 PM
No problem, JamieB!

Good luck to everyone with requests from Mr. Ashlock.

Loved the article on him, and his attitude. It sounds like having him as an agent would be like having a charming, personable, knowledgeable "outsider" on the inside.

As Nathan Bransford wrote, there are worthwhile advantages to having an agent who's new and hungry. After all, we ask them to take a chance on us, and we're new and hungry.

Mr. Ashlock actually critiqued the first ten pages I'd included with my query (no agent had ever done that before) and pointed out some wrinkles that not only make sense, but that will make my chances better with any agent -- all while praising me.

Because of the critique, I was sure it was a rejection -- until he asked for the full in the last sentence, praising the writing again.

If working with him would be like that, so positive even in the critique, count me in.

Good luck, everyone!

Em

steampunk
07-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Fingers crossed!

me three. the last email i got from him said he would call sometime this week to talk about my book. i really hope that happens.

and as for mr. ashlock, I have found him to be very personable. Just from a couple of emails, I already feel like he knows what I am trying to do.
And as for genre, I'm middle grade urban fantasy. I got the feeling he's into anything that strikes him.

JamieB
07-28-2009, 05:43 PM
me three. the last email i got from him said he would call sometime this week to talk about my book. i really hope that happens.

and as for mr. ashlock, I have found him to be very personable. Just from a couple of emails, I already feel like he knows what I am trying to do.
And as for genre, I'm middle grade urban fantasy. I got the feeling he's into anything that strikes him.

Awesome Steampunk!!! Good luck - keep us posted!!!!

Still Alive,
I think I sent a query with the sample pages pasted in. I don't remember sending a synopsis...perhaps the guidelines have changed since I sent. I'm not certain...sorry. I know, 'synopsis' is worse than any four letter word I can think of! :)

Good Luck Horseback Rider!!!!

Lucy Dashwood
07-28-2009, 09:18 PM
You all have me convinced Jason Ashlock's the greatest thing since Cherries Garcia ice cream so I queried him on my (dark, gritty, serious, agent scaring) YA.

Thanks for the tip.

steampunk
07-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Thank you, Jamie. I have another question. You said you sent a query letter, but his submission policy calls for ten pages and a one page synopsis. Is that what you did? Like most of us, I think, the word "synopsis" sends shudders down my spine!

And while I'm at it, great luck on your full. I won't try him until you have time to answer about the query letter or the pages.
Still Alive

Still Alive, I sent a query with the first ten pages and a synopsis as per what was on publisher's marketplace. He wrote back the same day asking for the full. hope that helps.

and jamie B...thanks!

Belle_91
07-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Does anyone know if he works with YA fiction because it seems that in his post on publishersmarketplace that he works alout with non-fiction. I dont want to submit a query if he doesnt work with me genre

steampunk
07-29-2009, 12:14 AM
History gal...it's worth a shot. i don't stress too much about what people say they want. He looked at my middle grade urban fiction. I figure if they like your story and think they can sell it, they don't really care about what the category is. Go for it.

HorsebackWriter
07-31-2009, 01:17 AM
Congratulations, Steampunk! : )

What wonderful news, that he's going to call you. I hope it's THE call!

Em

HorsebackWriter
07-31-2009, 01:28 AM
History gal -- I only sent a query and the first ten pages when I queried Mr. Ashlock, (didn't see that he also asks for a synopsis, which I also have) and I categorized my novel as YA.

He thinks the novel is not YA, (I've had other writers recently telling me it's quirky literary fiction), but it didn't seem to matter as he liked it anyway.

If I were you, I'd query him -- it can't hurt, right?

Em

steampunk
07-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Congratulations, Steampunk! : )

What wonderful news, that he's going to call you. I hope it's THE call!

Em

Em, I hope so too. But he said "we'll talk in a week or so" and I can't help but think that an agents notion of a week or so is not like a mortal's notion of a week or so! So, i'm trying very hard to be patient. I had an agent last summer but she folded...there was actually a whole thread about it here (phenomenon/pamela trayser) it was pretty heartbreaking to think I had gotten close, so this time I'm trying to not get too hopeful.

HorsebackWriter
08-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Hey Steampunk,

I hear you. I've been close a few times also. You learn to keep your feet on the ground and to stay realistic as the process wears on, still hopeful, yes, but it becomes a more reserved kind of hope. It's about the only way to stay sane.

Still hope it all turns out wonderfully for you.

Em

steampunk
08-03-2009, 05:58 PM
You learn to keep your feet on the ground and to stay realistic as the process wears on, still hopeful, yes, but it becomes a more reserved kind of hope. It's about the only way to stay sane.

I couldon't have put it better myself!

Juneluv12
08-03-2009, 07:22 PM
I couldon't have put it better myself!

As someone who has come close twice, I couldn't agree more...it's hard not to get excited, but at the same time, you realize until you sign on the dotted line, it's still iffy.

steampunk
08-03-2009, 10:29 PM
As someone who has come close twice, I couldn't agree more...it's hard not to get excited, but at the same time, you realize until you sign on the dotted line, it's still iffy.

and sometimes when you sign on the dotted line, it's still iffy. Especially if you take a chance, like I did, and go with a new agent, who then has a massive emergency in her family that forces her to close her business right when you were finally done with 6 months of editing and about to send your ms to publishers.

Juneluv12
08-03-2009, 11:46 PM
and sometimes when you sign on the dotted line, it's still iffy. Especially if you take a chance, like I did, and go with a new agent, who then has a massive emergency in her family that forces her to close her business right when you were finally done with 6 months of editing and about to send your ms to publishers.

Oh, no Steampunk! That's terrible.

With my adult novel, I didn't have it to that extent. Agent was about to sign me and then she retired for family medical reasons.

a.vij
08-04-2009, 10:15 AM
that's terrible, steampunk and juneluv... but best luck with mr. ashlock!!:Hug2:

stillalive, i sent my query with the first ten pages pasted in, no synopsis, on 1 July, I heard from him exactly two weeks later with a request for the full. yipee!! but he's been sitting on it for two weeks now and i haven't heard from him and am going crazy because of the waiting...

btw, horsebackwriter, my novel also falls into that YA/quirky literary fiction bracket, since it's meta fiction that has as its MC a sixteen-year old... best luck!!

steampunk
08-04-2009, 02:11 PM
that's terrible, steampunk and juneluv... but best luck with mr. ashlock!!:Hug2:

stillalive, i sent my query with the first ten pages pasted in, no synopsis, on 1 July, I heard from him exactly two weeks later with a request for the full. yipee!! but he's been sitting on it for two weeks now and i haven't heard from him and am going crazy because of the waiting...

btw, horsebackwriter, my novel also falls into that YA/quirky literary fiction bracket, since it's meta fiction that has as its MC a sixteen-year old... best luck!!

a.vij....stop thinking about it. two weeks is nothing. it's going to be more like three months before you hear anything. just keep querying and more importantly keep writing.

HorsebackWriter
08-05-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm so sorry to read about both your experiences. I can't imagine getting *that* close agent-wise and having it fall apart. That must've been devastating!

Also, it caused me pause, because obviously you hope once you sign, at least THAT part of the process is a done deal, and it's on to the next rung.

At the least, I hope you take away from it the fact that you both must be pretty good writers, to have that much interest in the first place. Thank goodness there's a lot of agents out there. It sounds like it's only a matter of time.

a.vij -- the whole process is definitely a lesson (BIG lessons) in patience. Whoever isn't good at it, learns to be due to necessity -- there's plenty of time to learn, too, lol.

That's why the wisest advice (and that which will preserve your sanity) is to start your next book. Redirect your passion into the next project, because it's always the current project that is the most consuming.

Good luck with your submission!

Em

a.vij
08-09-2009, 09:42 AM
thanks for the sage advice, steampunk and horsebackwriter! i should probably take up yoga or something! my first time through this whole querying business, and i just had no idea when i'd first begun writing how long this could take. in any case, this being my first novel, i'm probably going to realize a year from now how much it really stinks...

*sighs, looks up at god to whine some more about the unbearable slowness of everything*

JamieB
08-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Well, I got a rejection from Mr. Ashlock yesterday, but let me tell you, he sent me the best letter I've gotten to date from an agent. He even suggested a few other agents to query. This man is a gem! Good luck to all who have projects out with him!

a.vij
08-27-2009, 02:38 AM
sorry about that JamieB.

i received a, well.. i don't really know what i received... he liked the book, he has concerns though, but he's interested in working through them so... a little yay!

as for the letter, it was the most beautifully worded letter that i have received from an agent thus far, so i hear you JamieB! the letter contained references to such a varied group of authors and such good solid advice...
yeah, the man does seem a gem and i hope something good comes out of this. i'm dizzy!

Chuck Jones
09-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Mr. Ashlock requested a partial from me today, less than ten hours after sending my query. The research I did on him just led me to wonder "Why the hell didn't I query this guy sooner??" He seems like an incredibly good agent with a great track record. I have yet to hear a negative comment by anyone about this guy.

Laura Lond
09-17-2009, 11:00 PM
What email addy do you guys use for Mr. Ashlock? The one listed on AQ? I tried sending a query back in May, and it bounced back as undeliverable...

Chuck Jones
09-28-2009, 06:37 AM
jason.ashlock@movabletypenyc.com

I just got a rejection from Mr. Ashlock today on my partial. Bummed out about that, but it was probably the best rejection letter I've ever gotten. He gave me some hints on what I can do to improve my opening chapters and said he would be interested in seeing my mss again if those changes are made.

EgyptianGoddess
09-28-2009, 06:52 AM
jason.ashlock@movabletypenyc.com

I just got a rejection from Mr. Ashlock today on my partial. Bummed out about that, but it was probably the best rejection letter I've ever gotten. He gave me some hints on what I can do to improve my opening chapters and said he would be interested in seeing my mss again if those changes are made.

Which is a good thing! After reviewing what he had to say, and if you think it's valid, you know you have the option to resubmit.

kaitie
09-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Okay, he was a theology student. That is so cool! Sounds like a class act. :)

HorsebackWriter
09-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Congrats, a.vij!

So sorry, JamieB.

I submitted my full July 23rd, and I'm still waiting to hear back -- although I'm used to the waits, by now, and have 2 new WIPs to keep me busy.

Em

Moost
09-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Mr. Ashlock has had my full for about two weeks now. Through my contact with him I've found him to be very approachable and personable. Took about ten minutes for him to respond to my query and first chapter. Does anyone have an estimate on his wait time for a full?

jsouders
09-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Is he a no response = no person? I sent my query a few days ago, but I haven't heard anything back yet and everyone else seems to have had a quick response. Yes, I know a few days is nothing in the publishing world, I'm just paranoid about those electronic gremlins. :)

Moost
09-30-2009, 09:40 PM
According to Query Tracker a few people have gotten form Rs on queries, so it seems like he tries to respond no matter what.

jsouders
09-30-2009, 09:43 PM
According to Query Tracker a few people have gotten form Rs on queries, so it seems like he tries to respond no matter what.

Thanks I'll give it a bit then resend if I don't hear anything. I'm really starting to hate those e-gremlins.

Chuck Jones
10-06-2009, 03:09 AM
Is he a no response = no person? I sent my query a few days ago, but I haven't heard anything back yet and everyone else seems to have had a quick response. Yes, I know a few days is nothing in the publishing world, I'm just paranoid about those electronic gremlins. :)

My experience with him has been the opposite. he seems very personable to me, He not only sent me a very personalized reply to my query, but replied to a follow-up email I sent after that - one that I had no expectation of getting a reply to. I'm impressed enough with him that if I don't get an agent off of my first novel, he will be the first query that goes out on my second.

Moost
10-06-2009, 03:25 AM
My experience with him has been the opposite. he seems very personable to me, He not only sent me a very personalized reply to my query, but replied to a follow-up email I sent after that - one that I had no expectation of getting a reply to. I'm impressed enough with him that if I don't get an agent off of my first novel, he will be the first query that goes out on my second.

My experience has been exactly the same. If he responds positively to my full I will just pee my pants with happiness. If you don't mind me asking, how long did he have your material before you followed up?

Phantom Writer
10-06-2009, 05:44 AM
I queried them 9/28 and embarassed the heck out of myself when I called him MS. instead of Mr. (Had sent one too many letters out at work that day.) So- I appologized whole-heartedly and I fully expect not to hear back at that query at all. ;( That was my DUH moment for the month.

jsouders
10-06-2009, 05:46 AM
I queried them 9/28 and embarassed the heck out of myself when I called him MS. instead of Mr. (Had sent one too many letters out at work that day.) So- I appologized whole-heartedly and I fully expect not to hear back at that query at all. ;( That was my DUH moment for the month.

Oh, I did that this month too(not to this agent). I got a request for a full off it though. So, I guess it wasn't that bad.

Phantom Writer
10-06-2009, 05:50 AM
hahah that is awesome- so glad I'm not alone. I appologized and said I'd send beer in overnight post (his website jokes about that is the only mail they accept.) I hope he understands!

Chuck Jones
10-06-2009, 09:41 AM
My experience has been exactly the same. If he responds positively to my full I will just pee my pants with happiness. If you don't mind me asking, how long did he have your material before you followed up?

He responded to my query in two days, he responded to my partial in about ten.

Don't beat yourself up too much about it, I thihk we have all been there. :) I sent a query to Cameron McClure and realized about three seconds after I hit the send button that I had put "Mr." on it. I was ready to crawl under a bush and hide after that one.

Moost
10-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Thank you, Chuck!

He's had my full since 9/17. I don't know anything about his wait times except that his response is definitely worth waiting for (according to what people have said in this thread)

Juneluv12
10-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Thank you, Chuck!

He's had my full since 9/17. I don't know anything about his wait times except that his response is definitely worth waiting for (according to what people have said in this thread)

He's had my full since June 3.....I status queried with my new project because I'm worried he might not have received it. I had a few emails bounce back. JamieB and I subbed at the same time, and she heard back a month ago.....

He is such a stand up, awesome guy, I sure hope he received it!!! LOL If not, I hope he gives me another chance with either of the projects!

Moost
10-06-2009, 05:55 PM
He's had my full since June 3.....I status queried with my new project because I'm worried he might not have received it. I had a few emails bounce back. JamieB and I subbed at the same time, and she heard back a month ago.....

He is such a stand up, awesome guy, I sure hope he received it!!! LOL If not, I hope he gives me another chance with either of the projects!

That's strange...maybe he's thinking about it? :) Did you hear back on the second project?

One thing I'm nervous about is that by the time he gets back to me I'll have made more changes to the MS! I keep telling myself I'm done and it's in good shape (I've been editing since May) but every now and then I'm struck with a new idea to make it better. I'm beginning to think the editing process NEVER ends. If I need to status query in a few months would it be okay to mention to him that I've made some minor changes?

Phantom Writer
10-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Well Chuck, we would've both been under that bush together. I haven't heard back yet!

He responded to my query in two days, he responded to my partial in about ten.

Don't beat yourself up too much about it, I thihk we have all been there. :) I sent a query to Cameron McClure and realized about three seconds after I hit the send button that I had put "Mr." on it. I was ready to crawl under a bush and hide after that one.

Juneluv12
10-06-2009, 08:16 PM
That's strange...maybe he's thinking about it? :) Did you hear back on the second project?

I heard back from him this morning....not even an hour after emailing him. He didn't mention the new project...just that I was welcome to resubmit. So, I'll be resubmitting!

a.vij
10-09-2009, 02:11 AM
just to give you guys an idea of my timeline with him: i received a reply on my query two weeks after i'd sent it, and a reply on my full five weeks after i sent that.

the sad part though is that he's been really busy since, and though he said some six weeks ago that he'd send me a memo detailing the changes that he'd like me to make, i still haven't gotten it. i sent him a reminder on the 15th of Sep and he said he'd get to it as soon as he had the time, but no replies since... :(

Saskatoonistan
10-16-2009, 01:02 AM
I queried today for my YA urban fantasy and he replied literally three minutes later via Blackberry asking for the first fifty pages. Fastest response to a query in my life!

Saltier
10-16-2009, 01:11 AM
I queried today for my YA urban fantasy and he replied literally three minutes later via Blackberry asking for the first fifty pages. Fasted response to a query in my life!

That's awesome! If it would've been a rejection, that would've been depressing, but with the request, it's flattering :)

Saskatoonistan
10-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Yeah, very flattering... also very cool. I am an older fart (42) and the fact that an agent (or anyone) with a Blackberry can respond so quickly is a source of wonderment to me..

Crzywritergrl
10-16-2009, 01:28 AM
Has anyone gotten a partial request from Michelle Wolfson of Wolfson Lit and knows what her turn around time is? I think she sounds like an awesome agent. She has a partial of my YA Urban Fantasy and it's been 3 and a half weeks.

Am I impatient? She sounds so good and I really want her to take my book!

jsouders
10-16-2009, 01:55 AM
I'm thinking my equery gotten eaten by gremlins. I'm going to resend. It's been 2 weeks and everyone else has heard back. Or do you guys think i should wait a bit longer

Saskatoonistan
10-16-2009, 02:03 AM
Has anyone gotten a partial request from Michelle Wolfson of Wolfson Lit and knows what her turn around time is? I think she sounds like an awesome agent. She has a partial of my YA Urban Fantasy and it's been 3 and a half weeks.

Am I impatient? She sounds so good and I really want her to take my book!

I have partials or fulls with my YA Urban Fantasy out with now six agents - three of those six have had my MS for over five weeks.

Relax... :)

Moost
10-16-2009, 02:57 AM
I still haven't heard anything from him- Querytracker says his average response time on a submission is about 3 months. Since he's only had my full for about a month I sent him an email on Friday asking if he'd like to see the revisions I made based on another agent's suggestions. No response. I know he's really busy but I'm wondering if I should resend the offer in a month.

MelMel
11-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Mr. Ashlock responded to our query in 45 mins. via Blackberry asking for a partial last week. Should we not ask anything about it unless we don't hear back from him by February (three months)? I'm so bad with times on these kinds of things (and patience, but that's the lot for a querying writer I'd say).

We. Are. So. Excited.

Moost
11-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Mr. Ashlock responded to our query in 45 mins. via Blackberry asking for a partial last week. Should we not ask anything about it unless we don't hear back from him by February (three months)? I'm so bad with times on these kinds of things (and patience, but that's the lot for a querying writer I'd say).

We. Are. So. Excited.

He has had my full for almost two months. According to query tracker stats his average response time is nearly three times that, so no, I wouldn't even think about status querying for a while.

ChrisIsStifled
11-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Just a heads up for those who are interested in Jason, he sent me this:

Thanks for writing. As a rule, I don't look at anything that's over 100,000 words, as I feel that rare is the manuscript that needs to be any longer than that. If you revise, which I highly suggest you do, and get it under that, I'd be pleased to hear from you again.
Yours,

Jason Allen Ashlock
Agent | Contracts Manager
Movable Type Literary Group
www.movabletypenyc.com (http://www.movabletypenyc.com/)
M 646/573.9866
O 646/448.4655

While I'm happy that he seemed interested enough by the query and samples to send me this reply I don't think it would be wise to cut down my manuscript based off of one opinion. My novel sort of slips between normal categories, but it is heavily influenced by sci-fi and I have read very few sci-fi books lately that were 100,000 words or less. Maybe this is just my lack of experience, but especially when it comes to books in the UK I rarely see any sci-fi or fantasy that is under 120,000 words.

Perhaps if I get this reponse often (which I haven't yet) I will consider shortening it.

I will definitely send him my shorter, YA novel when I finish it though since he was so polite and speedy.

waylander
11-22-2009, 12:39 AM
The UK market is rather more tolerant of longer books

Parametric
11-22-2009, 12:42 AM
It's not just one opinion - I read it on agents' blogs all the time. Janet Reid, for example, recently commented (http://queryshark.blogspot.com/2009/09/133.html) that she can't sell novels over 100,000 words right now.

waylander
11-22-2009, 01:15 AM
Janet Reid handles mainly crime.

dgrintalis
01-05-2010, 08:42 PM
I sent Jason Ashlock my query, about 60 seconds later, he sent a response: "God, that's creepy. Send!" I emailed him the full about 5 minutes later, so we'll see what happens.

And with respect to the creepy part - I write dark suspense/horror. :)

Laura Lond
01-05-2010, 10:25 PM
That's a good response dgrintalis, congrats!!

Jason has had my materials for over 3 months, I sent a nudge shortly after the holidays. It is good to know that he's checking his email. :)

sciri
01-06-2010, 12:49 AM
I sent Jason Ashlock my query, about 60 seconds later, he sent a response: "God, that's creepy. Send!"

Congratulations!
Did you send a real query or just the first ten pages and the synopsis, just like they say in the PM website? You must have a powerful hook!

dgrintalis
01-06-2010, 12:59 AM
I sent a query, nothing else. My query hook is below in quotes. It didn't start out as a hook; it was just a cool line, IMO, to describe my book. I added it to my signature, then a bit later, added it to my query.

Moost
01-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Eeek, I never updated here!

Mr. Ashlock had my full for 2 months- sent him a polite email updating my contact info (school email crapped out). He responded within minutes with an R. Completely personalized, mentioned he enjoyed it, some compliments on my writing...followed by the dreaded "I can't sell this" (I have a 21 year old male protagonist).

I'm definitely querying him with my next project. He is so sweet and personable through email!

sciri
01-26-2010, 02:45 AM
I'm thinking my equery gotten eaten by gremlins. I'm going to resend. It's been 2 weeks and everyone else has heard back. Or do you guys think i should wait a bit longer

Hi there, did you end up re-sending? Did you hear back?

I haven't heard back either but then, contrary to other people that posted here, I followed his guidelines on the PM site and sent off the first 10 pages... So I'm thinking, it takes a bit longer to read those rather than just the query... still, not sure how long I should wait before sending a status query...

Laura Lond
01-26-2010, 08:29 AM
I still haven't heard back, even after my status query... Don't know whether I should send another one or just sit and wait.

xolotl
02-24-2010, 03:10 AM
I GOT A REQUEST FOR FULL MORE THAN TWO MONTHS AFTER QUERYING. THE REQUEST CAME JUST AFTER THE HOLIDAYS, SO THAT WAS PROBABLY A FACTOR. STILL, IT MEANS THAT EVEN IF TWO OR THREE WEEKS HAVE PASSED, IT'S NOT NECESSARILY AN R

#1,Jennifer
02-24-2010, 03:39 AM
I GOT A REQUEST FOR FULL MORE THAN TWO MONTHS AFTER QUERYING. THE REQUEST CAME JUST AFTER THE HOLIDAYS, SO THAT WAS PROBABLY A FACTOR. STILL, IT MEANS THAT EVEN IF TWO OR THREE WEEKS HAVE PASSED, IT'S NOT NECESSARILY AN R
Congratulations

dgaughran
02-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Hi does anyone have any up to date info on response times to partials from Mr. Ashlock? Its only been a few weeks, but I just wondered how long I should wait before I nudge.

KDexter
03-02-2010, 08:52 AM

Congrats! When did you send out your query? Just wondering because I sent one in early December and haven't heard anything yet.

KDexter
03-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Scratch that, turns out I sent it in January.

*sigh*

You know how it is with the waiting. Seems like it's been far longer than it actually has.

dgaughran
03-02-2010, 09:48 PM
...you mean it's STILL 2010?!?!?!

nancy sv
04-22-2010, 02:44 AM
It's good to read this thread that Jason Ashlock is a reputable agent - even if his response time may be slow at times. He recently contacted me about the possibility of writing a book about our adventures and I talked with him yesterday here in Manhattan. He was great to talk to and had soooo many ideas! I think I'll sign with him!

RoseMarie
06-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Okay, the website he has loses me...what do you need to submit?

Drachen Jager
06-05-2010, 09:09 AM
http://agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=1007

"email query" is all it says.

FROBONICUS
06-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Here's what their Publishers Marketplace page http://publishersmarketplace.com/members/jasonashlock/ says:

General submissions may be sent via e-mail to submissions@movabletypenyc.com.

Having found that that query letters do a fine job of showcasing one's talent in writing jacket copy or promotional material but rarely offer agents a useful preview of a writer's prosecraft, in lieu of query letters, MTLG asks that authors send the first ten pages of their manuscript, followed by a one page synopsis of the balance of the work, and a word count.

Lilreeper
06-07-2010, 04:22 AM
I just sent off a query for the hell of it. :)

angelfrancis
11-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Former Penguin editor Brianne Mulligan to lead Group’s expansion into YA

CherylAngst
01-11-2011, 09:46 AM
I got a request for a full from Brianne followed by a request for a phone call a couple of days later!

*fingers crossed*

Marika
01-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Congrats, Cheryl!!

How long did it from query to full to call?

angelfrancis
01-11-2011, 06:17 PM
WOW! Awesome!!

CherylAngst
01-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone!

I queried her on a Sunday, got the request for the full on Monday, and had an email asking for a phone call by Friday.

I'm still bouncing...

Snappy
01-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks everyone!

I queried her on a Sunday, got the request for the full on Monday, and had an email asking for a phone call by Friday.

I'm still bouncing...

YAY! Happy dance for you! That's very exciting. Congratulations!

Nadia
01-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks everyone!

I'm still bouncing...

That's awesome. Congrats!

Idea Tailor
01-16-2011, 08:01 PM
My congrats also, CherylAngst! It's good that there are more agents in the agency, especially as Jason still seems eager to get great new material and is (therefore) increasingly swamped by submissions.

Does anyone who has/had a full out to Jason have personal info on his current turn around? I was hoping to hear after the holidays, but it's not yet three months so too soon to follow up, I think. Just want to know how much longer my fingernails need to hold out. :Sun: Thanks.

Rowan
01-16-2011, 08:16 PM
I had a partial out to Jason and never got a response. Even with a nudge. I wrote it off! :)

mairi
01-16-2011, 09:19 PM
I got a request for a full from Brianne followed by a request for a phone call a couple of days later!

*fingers crossed*

Congrats! It's always cool to hear news like this!

Empress Awesome
01-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Just sent a query to Brianne. Hoping for good things!

neener
01-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Is Brianne a no responder? I have a hard time navigating their website ;).

Empress Awesome
01-22-2011, 10:13 AM
She's brand new, so I don't see why she would be. As for the website...I think we all do.

KelleyVitollo
01-22-2011, 08:24 PM

She never replied to my query back when I was querying.

Empress Awesome
01-22-2011, 09:20 PM
She never replied to my query back when I was querying.

Thanks for crushing my dreams, Kelley!

Erin
01-22-2011, 09:24 PM

I queried her on 11/17 and she hasn't responded.

neener
01-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Hmmm. Does not bode well. I didn't include pages with mine--again, website fail (or me+website fail) but I noticed people on querytracker did include pages.

Think I'll wait another month and put her down as a no...

Idea Tailor
01-25-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm sorry, Rowan. Jason has a good rap for making comments even with a rejection, which makes him stand out. That makes me wonder if he got swamped, but (of course) they're all swamped. So maybe now he acts like the rest? I notice the more recent posts tend to be about the other agents....

Krista G.
02-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know I'll be hosting an interactive interview with Ms. Mulligan on my blog this Friday, February 11. If you have a question for Ms. Mulligan, feel free to hop on over!

I'll be back Friday morning to post a direct link.

Kmarshall
02-10-2011, 11:42 PM
I queried Ms. Mulligan on 1/21. No word yet, but it hasn't been that long.

Krista G.
02-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Interview's up! If you have a question for Ms. Mulligan, we'd love to see you over there.

http://motherwrite.blogspot.com/2011/02/interactive-interview-with-agent.html

Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back from her!

foliogal
02-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks, Krista, for another great interview! Ms. Mulligan sounds like she would be a super agent.

mkcbunny
02-12-2011, 05:29 AM
Are people sending to the submissions e-mail or to the individual agents?

Krista G.
02-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Are people sending to the submissions e-mail or to the individual agents?

Mkcbunny, I'm not sure about the other agents at Movable Type, but if you're interested in querying Ms. Mulligan, you can send it to either the general submissions address or her individual address (as per her PM page (http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/briannemulligan/)). Best of luck!

Krista G.
03-01-2011, 02:41 AM
Queried Ms. Mulligan on 2/7 via Movable Type's general submissions address
Re-queried 2/28 via her personal address (brianne.mulligan@movabletypenyc.com)
Partial request (first 50 pages) received 2/28

YA science fiction

She told me in her reply that she responds much faster to queries sent to her personal address, so if you're looking to query her, you should probably try that one.

Sandsurfgirl
03-12-2011, 02:03 AM
I just love their website. Queried last week. Fingers crossed, toes crossed. Seems like such a cool agency!

Martha Moffett
03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
At Marianne Strong agency, when Jason inherited my novel from the fiction agent who was leaving, he was upfront about not liking fiction and not particularly interested in marketing it. After a few months he said he was taking a workshop in how to market fiction. I couldn't get him to tell me where he was presenting my book and got no answers to most emails unless I persisted. Finally my 1-year contract was up, and I bowed out--to his surprise. It was like pulling teeth to get a list of the 5 or 6 publishers he had tried, one of which I had suggested. Perhaps writers with nonfiction projects will get better results. I felt my book had lost a year.

Sandsurfgirl
03-22-2011, 04:47 AM
At Marianne Strong agency, when Jason inherited my novel from the fiction agent who was leaving, he was upfront about not liking fiction and not particularly interested in marketing it. After a few months he said he was taking a workshop in how to market fiction. I couldn't get him to tell me where he was presenting my book and got no answers to most emails unless I persisted. Finally my 1-year contract was up, and I bowed out--to his surprise. It was like pulling teeth to get a list of the 5 or 6 publishers he had tried, one of which I had suggested. Perhaps writers with nonfiction projects will get better results. I felt my book had lost a year.

Ack that's not good! It's such a slow business anyways. What a bummer! Was that awhile ago? I wonder if he has changed his mind about fiction.

Foinah
05-10-2011, 02:54 PM
I queried on 2/28... not a peep yet.

RolyPoly0ne
05-14-2011, 11:23 PM
I just sent Brianne Mulligan a nudge on a full she requested in late February. She responded right away and explained that she had to start her maternity leave earlier than expected. She's catching up on her backlog now.

She sounds lovely. I've got my fingers crossed that she likes my full!

Foinah
05-15-2011, 12:53 AM
I re-queried Jason at his email address rather than the sub address on 5/10/11. I'll post an update when I hear something.

ETA : Still haven't heard anything. Other folks have reported automated responses that their submission was received.

Perhaps this is the universe's way of telling me to move on. Meh.

Foinah
07-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Well I guess Jason has turned into a non responder.

SisterWriters
08-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Just Queried Jason Ashlock. Fingers crossed :)

Foinah
08-11-2011, 01:51 AM
He finally responded on 8/2 (or somewhere around there) with a rejection.

It was nice to get some closure :-)

Sisterwriters, good luck with your query!

BrianJamesFreeman
10-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Artists and Artisans & Movable Type Literary Group Merge:

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/artists-and-artisans-movable-type-literary-group-merge_b39464

sb2brown
10-14-2011, 11:45 PM
New website: http://www.movabletypenyc.com/mtmgmt/MTM_Home.html

Looks like the new agency wants all submissions on a form found here: http://www.movabletypenyc.com/mtmgmt/MTM_Submissions.html

buxfan
10-23-2011, 10:05 PM
I signed with Mr. Ashlock in May, where he would represent our graphic novel, The Chronic Argonauts. However, circumstances have led me to terminate that contract only a few short months later.

After the contract was signed, I sent him a bunch of materials (preview copies, etc.) to help him in pitching the novel to publishers. He seemed very enthusiastic, so I was very happy. After a couple of months, I emailed him a few times asking if there was any update that I could pass along to my team, never receiving any update on his progress.

I did receive a couple of responses, however; once when I let him know that I was being interviewed for an issue of WIRED magazine (which was just released on newsstands!), and a very negative note when I sent him a Twitter message asking if he was getting my emails. I am very respectful of a person's time, especially if that person is out there trying to make me money. So I don't expect immediate responses to my emails. But Mr. Ashlock spends a decent amount of time on Twitter, so I find it very hard to believe that he is too busy to just send a quick note about news (positive, negative, or lack thereof) that he may have.

After seeking out the advice of others in the industry, I decided to terminate the contract. As others have stated, "It's better to have no agent than to have a poor agent." The 30-day termination notification period just ended, so I have not signed with another agent yet. Keeping my fingers crossed though.

Others have been successful with Mr. Ashlock, so I do not want to discourage you from querying him. I just thought I should let everyone know about the experience that I had so that you could keep it in mind should you be thinking about signing a contract with him.

Mclesh
10-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Hmm, buxfan, sorry to hear this. He's had my full for about six weeks now. He responded to my query quickly. I sent it on a Friday, and I heard back from him Monday morning. He sent a very nice note requesting it.

He's probably extra swamped with the merger. But still, you need to have an agent who's responsive. Thanks for the info, and sorry about your experience. :(

Filigree
10-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Thank you.

Old Hack
10-24-2011, 12:08 PM
I signed with Mr. Ashlock in May, where he would represent our graphic novel, The Chronic Argonauts. However, circumstances have led me to terminate that contract only a few short months later.

That's a shame. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience.

After the contract was signed, I sent him a bunch of materials (preview copies, etc.) to help him in pitching the novel to publishers. He seemed very enthusiastic, so I was very happy. After a couple of months, I emailed him a few times asking if there was any update that I could pass along to my team, never receiving any update on his progress.

I'm just a little confused. According to the blog you link to in your signature, The Chronic Argonauts was only completed a month ago (http://www.newbabyproductions.com/forums/blog.php/?p=307): so how could Mr Ashlock have tried to sell it in May of this year, four months before it was finished? And how could you supply him with preview copies in May if it wasn't complete?

It could be that Mr Ashlock was waiting for you to finish the novel before he began submitting it to trade publishers and so couldn't give you the updates you asked for. I don't know. But that is a possible scenario.

I also note that have been using CreateSpace to sell a self-published edition of The Chronic Argonauts (http://www.newbabyproductions.com/forums/blog.php/?p=313). How did Mr Ashlock feel about you self-publishing a book he was trying to sell to a trade publisher? Was this done with his full approval and knowledge? Did this contribute in any way to the end of your relationship with him?

buxfan
10-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks for playing devil's advocate.

I'm just a little confused. According to the blog you link to in your signature, The Chronic Argonauts was only completed a month ago (http://www.newbabyproductions.com/forums/blog.php/?p=307): so how could Mr Ashlock have tried to sell it in May of this year, four months before it was finished? And how could you supply him with preview copies in May if it wasn't complete?

It could be that Mr Ashlock was waiting for you to finish the novel before he began submitting it to trade publishers and so couldn't give you the updates you asked for. I don't know. But that is a possible scenario.
Yes, we did complete the graphic novel a little over a month ago. Art was finished several months before that, only requiring some coloring and lettering. The script was finished over a year ago. The preview copies were completed copies of our first chapter. Mr. Ashlock indicated that those would be for his use with publishers. I am sure it's not the first time that a book was to be pitched before being completed.

I also note that have been using CreateSpace to sell a self-published edition of The Chronic Argonauts (http://www.newbabyproductions.com/forums/blog.php/?p=313). How did Mr Ashlock feel about you self-publishing a book he was trying to sell to a trade publisher? Was this done with his full approval and knowledge? Did this contribute in any way to the end of your relationship with him?
The CreateSpace book was initially created as a cheap way to have some pre-publication copies to share with family and friends who were interested in the project we had been working on for over a year. It was going to be set to private so that no one could access it online without a special code, but I decided to make it available publicly for a short time AFTER notifying Mr. Ashlock of the termination of our contract. So this did not contribute in any way to the end of our relationship.

It was his lack of communication that caused me to terminate the contract. I was very disappointed, especially considering that the contract specifically stated that we would be in contact at least every two weeks.

Old Hack
10-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Thank you, Buxfan--that makes things much clearer.

DW26
12-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Jason quickly responded to my query and agreed to read it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

J.B.Kantt
02-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Hey everyone! I'm new to AW, and I just wanted to try and get in on the conversation if that's okay (even though it's kind of dead) :)

I queried Ms. Mulligan on February 25th, 2012, and I'm still waiting for a response.
Fingers crossed that I hear (hopefully good news) from her soon. :)

Krista G.
02-28-2012, 12:34 AM
Hey everyone! I'm new to AW, and I just wanted to try and get in on the conversation if that's okay (even though it's kind of dead) :)

I queried Ms. Mulligan on February 25th, 2012, and I'm still waiting for a response.
Fingers crossed that I hear (hopefully good news) from her soon. :)

Welcome to Absolute Write, J.B.Kantt! I just wanted to let you know that Ms. Mulligan left agenting a few months ago to be a stay-at-home mom. I don't know why they haven't taken her off the website yet, but I had some correspondence with her via e-mail that confirmed it.

Good luck with your other queries!

J.B.Kantt
02-28-2012, 12:55 AM
Welcome to Absolute Write, J.B.Kantt! I just wanted to let you know that Ms. Mulligan left agenting a few months ago to be a stay-at-home mom. I don't know why they haven't taken her off the website yet, but I had some correspondence with her via e-mail that confirmed it.

Good luck with your other queries!

Thanks Krista!
Wow, I had no idea! Thank goodness you told me, otherwise I would have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting (unless she emailed me to tell me; but then she'd probably have to do that to everyone). Thank you so much for letting me know! :)

Mclesh
02-28-2012, 06:32 AM
No word from Jason on the full he requested the beginning of September. I did send him a nudge when I received an offer. No response. (I'd already written him off as not interested though.)

ACROALL
04-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Queried Mr. Ashlock Friday, got a request for a full a few hours later. Woot! Second full request since I've started querying!

ACROALL
05-01-2012, 06:24 AM
Rejected this evening by Mr. Ashlock. Back to square one with no fulls or partials out.

Krista G.
05-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Rejected this evening by Mr. Ashlock. Back to square one with no fulls or partials out.

Sorry to hear that, ACROALL :( But if you got two requests, you'll almost certainly get more. Good luck with your other queries!

ACROALL
05-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Got a full request from Sarah Jane Freymann agency yesterday. Not holding my breath because they request A LOT of fulls, but that makes my count 4 out of 33. Not bad!

JoyMC
05-10-2012, 12:17 AM
Mary Kole, formerly of Andrea Brown, announced on her blog today that she's moving to Movable Type: http://kidlit.com/2012/05/09/big-announcement/ She is open to queries there now for picture books, middle grade and YA.

nancy sv
05-13-2012, 04:37 AM
I should probably update this with my experience about Jason Ashlock as well. He contacted me about my book and was very interested. He told me he had worked as agent for a friend's book, so I contacted said friend and he had nothing but wonderful things to say about Jason. Apparently, Jason went above and beyond and did a great job.

I met with Jason in NYC and all went well. A few days later he sent me an email saying he would like to represent me and would be sending a contract shortly. The email never came.

A week or two later I wrote to him and asked what was going on. No response.

Another week or two I wrote again. No response.

Eventually (I forget the timing - this was a couple years ago) he sent me this: "So I'd like to move forward. I'm officially offering your representation for your literary and transmedia endeavors, meaning I am offering to serve as your consultant and legal representative in the sale of any intellectual properties you create. If you're interested, I'll send you a formal letter of agreement."

We ended up with a lot of back and forth emails about my proposal and such, but the formal letter never did show up. After a few months it became apparent that he wasn't very interested in my story so I moved on.

I will say that he was very helpful in what he did, but I think he just didn't see where my story could go.

Becca C.
06-20-2012, 02:28 AM
I queried Mary Kole on 6/18 -- I had an R&R with Mary about a year and a half ago, so hopefully she likes this new MS. I'd love to have her represent me.

Smiley0501
06-20-2012, 02:37 AM
Good luck Becca!!

ether
07-04-2012, 08:12 AM
I queried Mary back in May, and got a full request June 18th. I've queried her with every one of my books thus far, so we'll see how it goes. ;)

Becca C.
07-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Good luck, Kelley!!!

*Sigh*... she wrote back saying she still likes my writing, but the premise isn't as marketable as what she's looking for right now (makes me sad, seeing as I think it's a crazy commercial idea!). Ah well. If this MS can't snag an agent, my current WIP seems like it'll be up her alley. Always looking ahead!

ether
07-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Sorry about the R, Becca. :( Keep trying and good luck!

JoyMC
07-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Ah well. If this MS can't snag an agent, my current WIP seems like it'll be up her alley. Always looking ahead!

That's the spirit, Becca. I'm right there with you. :)

Mary's never requested from me, so I was so shocked when she responded to my most recent query personally, using my name and thanking me for "thinking of her again." Weird to think she remembers me when she's never requested.

Becca C.
07-05-2012, 02:13 AM
That's the spirit, Becca. I'm right there with you. :)

Mary's never requested from me, so I was so shocked when she responded to my most recent query personally, using my name and thanking me for "thinking of her again." Weird to think she remembers me when she's never requested.

That is funny. She knew me personally because we've spoken on the phone before, but another agent requested a full from me recently and said she was excited to see more of my work when she read a partial from me almost two years ago. Memory is interesting sometimes, isn't it?

lambchops
07-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Hi, I just wanted to share my experiences with Movable Type and Jason Allen Ashlock. Three years ago I queried him with my first manuscript and he responded within less than 5 minutes with an extremely enthusiastic request for a full. I was pretty amazed and excited. After about 12 weeks, I emailed for an update and got no response. Then sent another email update three weeks later. Nothing. A few months ago I sent him another query and, again, within less than 5 minutes, I received an enthusiastic request for a full. This time, though, I sort of knew that this was his style. Is he kind of a hyper requester? I sent the full and now almost twelve weeks have heard nothing. After emailing for an update and receiving no response, I've marked him off my list as a NR. He is on twitter a lot, so I think he has time to send a simple form rejection to people, especially if he has requested a full. That's life in this game, but if you have queried him, and he requests a full in less than five minutes, don't get your hopes up. Be prepared to hear nothing back. I'd read somewhere that he was a Southern gentleman, so I'd expected some kind of response, but he is too busy twittering I guess? At any rate, I won't be querying him again because it's kind of worse to have someone enthusiastically request a full and not respond than have someone never request at all. It shows a real lack of respect for a writer's time and effort, when a writer is expected to show an agent respect and patience. Guess they know it can be a one-way street in their favor.

Quickbread
08-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Most of these stories about Jason Allen Ashlock are a few years old. Does anyone have any current experience with him? I'd love to hear about present-day interaction he's having with people, or not. Does he frequently not get back to people on fulls?

Is anyone here repped by him? I'd appreciate a PM with some honest thoughts. Am researching him while he has my full. Thanks in advance for any info.

BlossomQueen
08-19-2012, 07:36 AM
@ Quickbread

Honestly? He's a non-responder. The poster above you is correct, at least, when it comes to my experience with him as well. He responded within a couple hours but has had my full for months and even after a nudge hasn't responded. It wouldn't bother me as much if he didn't have such an active social media presence. But *shrugs* I think there are some people who have had a good experience with him. I'd say go for it and email him, he might be so crazy about it he responds with, well, something. :) Good luck.

Anna L.
08-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Most of these stories about Jason Allen Ashlock are a few years old. Does anyone have any current experience with him?

Jason requested my full in March. No news. I wrote him off.

Quickbread
08-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Thanks for input, guys. I guess I won't hold my breath.

Lydia Sharp
09-15-2012, 07:06 PM
I queried Mary back in May, and got a full request June 18th. I've queried her with every one of my books thus far, so we'll see how it goes. ;)

Have you heard back from Mary about this full yet, Kelley? I have a full out with her now. She's requested from me in the past when she was with Andrea Brown and got back to me in about 2 weeks. She was pretty quick in responding to the query this time, so. Wondering if I should expect the same speed on the full now as before.

Not that I'm impatient. Just curious.

larana84
11-27-2012, 12:00 AM
I hope this is the right spot, but did anyone sign up for Mary Kole's webinar at the end of October that included a 500 word critique (or any of her other webinars)? The webinar was great, and I've been eagerly waiting for the pdf she was supposed to send out a week later with questions and answers from the webinar. Did anyone else get it? I'm worried that I somehow got left off the mailing list.

Thanks! :)

CaoPaux
02-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Updating URL: http://mtmgmt.net/MTM_Home.html

MaraudingDon
02-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Is anyone else receiving unsolicited emails from Ms Kole offering paid editorial services? I have received two such emails now. I wasn't sure whether it was from her or a scam pretending to be her.

Becca C.
02-10-2013, 04:03 AM
Is anyone else receiving unsolicited emails from Ms Kole offering paid editorial services? I have received two such emails now. I wasn't sure whether it was from her or a scam pretending to be her.

She is offering editorial services now, so it isn't a scammer pretending to be her. The email went out to everyone who's ever commented on her blog. I only got the one, though.

Quickbread
02-24-2013, 07:31 PM
So I just wanted to report back on my full submission to Jason Ashlock sent last summer. I ended up getting an offer after about 6 months. :) I think he's just a very busy agent.

katydid
02-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Sent a query/first 10 pages to Mr. Ashlock on Feb. 6, 2013.
He asked for the full a couple of hours later.
Waiting to hear back.
Writing the next book.

Becca C.
07-31-2013, 10:16 PM
Mary Kole has left agenting entirely, to focus on her manuscript editing services (http://kidlit.com/2013/07/31/switching-gears/), for a myriad of reasons. This makes me sad -- she's always been my dream agent. But having her edit my work is definitely a good compromise. She's a fantastic editor and will do really well in this arena.

MadameApeFace
09-30-2013, 07:10 PM
That explains why she never responded to my query from four months ago, and is missing now from the agency web site, I suppose.

Thanks for the update, Becca!

kellion92
09-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Jason Allen Ashlock is gone too, I've heard. Adam Chromy is the only contact left on their website, which has removed the "Team" link entirely.

Here's Ashlock's current bio:
http://jasonashlock.tumblr.com/BIo

Quickbread
09-30-2013, 09:24 PM
Yes, that's what I've been told, too. Time to dust off my query.

carlofab
02-11-2015, 04:32 AM
Jason Allen Ashlock is gone too, I've heard. Adam Chromy is the only contact left on their website, which has removed the "Team" link entirely.

Here's Ashlock's current bio:
http://jasonashlock.tumblr.com/BIo

RE: Adam Chromy

This is just an informational post about film rights to novels, from someone who has worked in the film industry a number of years:

Adam Chromy boasts that he represents film rights to his clients’ novels “as a producer”. The advantage, he claims, is that you pay him no commission for film rights money because the studio pays him as producer.

This does not seem to me a good deal for the writer:

(1) If he represented your film rights as an agent, he would have every incentive to secure the highest possible price for you since he would collect a commission.

(2) Basically he is telling the studio that to acquire film rights to your novel, the studio has to accept Chromy as a producer. Obviously, film rights are worth only so much to a studio (depending on how hot the property, etc).

Suppose rights to your novel are worth $100,000 to them. Since they have to accept Chromy as a producer, the $100,000 would have to pay both his producer’s fee and the cost of your film rights. There is nothing to prevent him from telling you (say), the studio is offering you $10,000 for film rights. If you balk, he says I’ll ask for more, and calls back a few days later saying, “I really worked hard for you, pal, and jacked them up to $25,000.” Basically, he’s got $100k to play with, and is seeing how little you’ll take. The rest goes to him as “producer”.

(3) Another problem is that studios probably don’t want Chromy as a producer. Rather than representing you, he is piggybacking on your book’s heat to force himself on them. The normal arrangement is for a producer to purchase an option to buy the screenrights from the writer; the option can be for one or more years, during which time the producer can shop the material to studios. Basically you are giving Chromy a “free” option on your book to shop to studios with himself attached as producer.

(4) Chromy claims to be both a producer and screenwriter, but if you google his name plus IMDB (International Movie Data Base), you will find he has no produced screenwriting credits and no produced movie or TV credits. He does have a series “House of Card” in development, but whether he will be a named producer, or the nature of his participation, is not stated.

OVERALL:

Now, I can’t tell you what to do. Obviously if you’re just getting started, having a film made from your book would boost sales and your recognition. So much so that possibly you are willing to accept that your “producer” will get most of the film rights money.

All I am saying is to be aware of the above situation.

You are almost surely better off finding an agent to negotiate a film sale on commission if you can possibly do so. If you can’t and Chromer is willing to give it a shot as your “producer,” I can’t advise you not to let him try. There is a saying in Hollywood that sometimes you have to take a screwing on your first deal. The important thing is to realize you are taking a screwing, and extricate yourself from such an arrangement on your next deal.