PDA

View Full Version : An English Language Milestone....

ChunkyC
06-01-2009, 07:54 PM
...or is it?

According to this article (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090529/million_words_090531/20090531/), the English language will reach one million words in just over a week. Putting aside the right of the organization touting this milestone to make such a claim, I don't know about some of the candidates for the illustrious title of 'one-millionth word'. Seriously, who came up with the meaning they cite for n00b?

So, this begs the question: as writers, do more words make our job easier or harder? :)

swvaughn
06-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Noob, which can also be spelled with two zeros, and was adopted from the gaming community, describes those who try to take credit for other people's work.

Uh ... what?

Whoever wrote that definition is a total n00b. :D

As for the impact on our jobs as writers - hey, the more words, the merrier. I likes me some words.

Dawnstorm
06-01-2009, 08:06 PM
All verbed up and nothing to say...

Matera the Mad
06-02-2009, 05:42 AM
Another one of those "whose word count?" issues. There should be a separate category for mayfly words, and another for attic junk. Then we could just count the real words.

ChunkyC
06-02-2009, 06:21 PM
They're probably counting emoticons too. :rolleyes:

Willowmound
06-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Noob, which can also be spelled with two zeros, and was adopted from the gaming community, describes those who try to take credit for other people's work.

Uh ... what?

Whoever wrote that definition is a total n00b. :D

You can say that again. And it's not like this is a difficult word to get. It's a phonetic spelling of the American pronunciation of a shortening of the word "newbie".

Which is to say, somebody who doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about. Much like this article's author.