• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Unable to write

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
I just cannot get the motivation to start work on my WIP for over a month now. I've done the first draft and now I'm stuck, not able to write.

Do I take a break or slog away knowing that my mind isn't fully able to concentrate on my novel.

vrabinec

Dipwad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vrabinec-fred.blogspot.com
If you want to get reved up again, maybe you could try posting your first couple chapters on SYW here, or Critique Circle or Scribophile, and see what kind of feedback you get. Nothing like having your work scrutinized to get you thinking about it again.

dawn_meadows

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dawn-meadows.blogspot.com
If the first draft is done, I suggest putting it away for thirty days or so. Don't even look at it. When you come back to it, you'll have a fresh outlook on it and will be able to put your editors hat on.

In the meantime, you could start writing something new. Or, if you don't have any ideas for a new novel, you could find some prompts to practice writing with. I'm newer to this forum, but I'm sure someone will come along and give you some links to areas here where prompts are put up.

Last edited:

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
You definitely need to keep writing something. Start something new, whatever, just keep writing. Set up a schedule so you're writing every day. Otherwise those writing muscles in your brain get weak and flabby.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Yeah, I'm with the others. Write something new, maybe even something completely outside your usual genre. A short story, poetry, a few little pieces that have no beginning or end. Use one of those silly plot generators and write a short story based on whatever goofy idea it creates.

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
i get writers block everyday untill i start writing.

when i ground to a halt on my last novel i decided to join my mc for lunch at his home and interview him for the local paper. not a new idea i know but it was a fun and useful exercise and it got me writing.

post some stuff in syw. you may find that as you prepare it for posting you will spot things you would like to change.

crack on. get writing. and bloody well enjoy yourself.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
bum willy poo

Look, that is how easy it can be....bum willy poo....simple, refreshing, daring, silly, outrageous....what ever...bum willy poo

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
i get writers block everyday untill i start writing.

Except for the word until being misspelled (sorry, jerry, didn't mean to call you out :)) this is probably one of the smartest things I've ever heard about writer's block. I think I'm going to sig it, with your permission.

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
Except for the word until being misspelled (sorry, jerry, didn't mean to call you out :)) this is probably one of the smartest things I've ever heard about writer's block. I think I'm going to sig it, with your permission.

i double up all over when im excitted

RunawayScribe

It is what it is.
Registered
Reaction score
You are not "unable to write." You're having a hard time motivating yourself. Happens to the best of us, but once you invoke the word 'can't', you're just giving yourself an excuse.

Take a break from the draft. Have someone critique it to get you thinking about it. All good suggestions. Or write something else. But don't sit there and tell yourself you can't. You may not feel glowingly inspired, but you can absolutely write. It's a motor skill, not a superpower. Just start something and see where it goes.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
When you wake up, tell yourself that you absolutely will NOT, under any circumstances allow yourself to work on your manuscript today. Reverse psychologying myself usually works for me.

Nicole

spamwarrior

rewriting.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
acurrentundersea.wordpress.com
Discipline yourself to write something every day. Anything. Even when I don't want to write, I at least try to write something, even though it's absolute crap. It keeps my creativeness moving and gets me in the habit of writing.

Or I read to get inspiration.

CurranCR

Registered
Reaction score
Like some other people said, I think it's a good idea to put the first draft of your WIP aside for a month or so. When you re-read it, you'll see some mistakes, inconsistencies or other things you need to fix just pop right out at you.

In the meantime, why not try writing a couple of short stories? That's what I'm doing now, cause I need a break from my WIP and am waiting for my readers to come back with the feedback anyway.

LuckyH

Oh, really?
Registered
Reaction score
If you're intending to submit the old-fashioned way, with CV, synopsis and the sample material in double-spacing, edit that sample material now and forget the rest for the time being.

Especially if you don't do multiple submissions, a recent phenomenon, the first request for the whole manuscript is something like two to three months away.

When you receive that request, your current reluctance to continue editing will vanish on the spot, and you will be editing furiously, all night long, for quite a few nights.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
There are always some parts of the process for me that are more difficult. My first drafts write themselves until about 30,000 words and then I struggle to 50,000 and then take off again. Revisions (what I call work on my first draft) is painful for me and I have to force myself to continue and not be distracted. I do let my work sit between revisions and I make it okay to just think about it.
BUT
I start something new on the side.
I was really surprised and relieved to hear from authors who told me parts of the process is a struggle for them as well and I think the successful ones just muscle themselves through knowing they have before.

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
As I said, the first draft is done. The way I did was to speed write, which means a draft in need of serious rewrites and editing.

The two suggestions I'm getting from this thread are:
1) Muscle my way through. I don't want to particularly do this as I'll likely end up with another shitty draft.

2) To write something, anything; a short story, some writing exercise. I do have a short story in a first draft that I want to finish.
BUT
All day I keep on thinking about my novel, the characters, the flaws in my plot and story that I need to work on.
I'll start work on the short story, but I feel that by abandoning my novel and waiting for inspiration shall make things harder later on. It's one of those things that have to be confronted as a writer, I know.
I'm feeling like damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Ladyhawke_18

Registered
Reaction score
Website
storybysasha.blogspot.com
Why write if you don't want to? Find the scene that got you excited, made you want to write this novel in the first place. Write that. If you already have, imagine what came before or what follows and try to write that. No one says you have to write the chapters in order.

~Sasha

Status
Not open for further replies.