My Dad's cat died

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm looking for some cyber hugs.

First off, I don't want to hear about the evils of declawing your cat. My Dad is 84, has very thin delicate skin due to taking prednasone and is on blood thinners from having blood clots in both lungs a few weeks ago. A scratch that wouldn't even draw blood on me, causes him to bleed profusely. The only other choice was to get rid of the cats, and he loved them a lot.

Last Tuesday I helped him take the two cats in for the declawing. He called me about 10:30 yesterday morning and said one of the cats had died. He wanted to bring her to my place to bury her with our three cats out in the back. That old man drove an hour each way, so we would all know where she was.

We can only assume it was an after-effect of the anesthesia.

MM

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, that is just too, too sad. I'm so sorry to hear this. :Hug2:Hugs to you and your dad. It's so hard to lose a pet.

I'm pretty sentimental about my own animals and I am a cat lover as well. They really do become like one of the family.

Condolences.

fairy86

Loose on the internet!
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: I'm sorry about your dad's cat--losing a pet is really tough because they're like our children.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear this. The fact that "he loved them a lot" is what's important.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
{{{{{{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}}}}}}

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's cat. That's a huge loss for him.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
consider yourself cyber-hugged :Hug2: I am so sorry

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the hugs. So far Dad and the other cat seem to be doing OK. I'll call him again this morning to check on them.

MM

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I understand completely. Lots of hugs coming your way. A friend of mine had something similar happen after spaying her cat, but she didn't die immediately. They messed up her throat with some sort of tube, and she had a hard time breathing but actually lived for a couple of years. It's a very small risk, but that doesn't make it any easier when it happens to you.

A suggestion, since it sounds like he really needs a declawed cat. If you get another one, ask the local shelters for a cat that is already declawed. That way, you don't have to take another risk. Be careful though...I tried that with my cat Vinnie because I was in a furnished apt. They told me he was declawed, but I found out he wasn't when I got him home. He had been next up for euthanasia so I kept him and managed to divert him to scratching post. But most of the time you'd hope they'd KNOW which cats are declawed!

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs.
Our pets do wind themselves around our hearts.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Big hugs to you and your dad. Losing a pet is miserable. I've lost five cats over the years, and it breaks my heart every damn time. The daft little beasts matter. I'm so glad he still has one to cuddle and hope they both stay well.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Make sure your father is feeling fine, even if he says that everything is a-okay - he might get the feeling that he is being a burden, and not want to share his emotions. Pay him an unannounced visit, cheer him up a little. :Hug2:

Every animal has its' own personality, especially cats and dogs, so if you get him another cat make sure it's a happy and contented little ball of fur.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry for him. Hope he'll be okay. Lots of hugs for him and you

:Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2:

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
So sorry, MM. I'm sure you were just doing the best you could for your cat and your dad. Who knows, the kitty might have had a heart problem or something.

I send you cyber love from me and my kitty Cricket. Take care of yourself and your dad.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again for the hugs, and good thoughts. Dad is doing well, and the other cat seems to be getting over the trauma of losing her buddy and having her toes clipped. Dad said she slept with him Mon night and woke him Tues morning at 5 with little love nibbles. The 'I'm awake, why aren't you awake, where is my breakfast?' kind of nibbles. So things are looking up.

MM