PDA

View Full Version : [Agency] A+B Works (Amy Jameson)

Sydewinder
05-31-2009, 05:56 AM
Has anyone heard of this agency? they're listed on P&E with a $ but I cant seem to find anymore information about them. anyone have any experience with Amy Jameson? link to their website is below.

Thanks for your help.

http://www.aplusbworks.com/

CaoPaux
05-31-2009, 06:11 AM
Webpage has experience, interests, clients, etc. What other info are you looking for?

Sydewinder
05-31-2009, 06:18 AM
follow the author links, go to their websites and you'll see that the contact information does not mention A+B works or the agent as a person to contact. plus, when I see someone who has lots of experience... as they claim to have, I expect to be able to find something else online... interviews, author praises..etc.

so I thought I would see if anyone here has worked with them, knows authors who work with them, have met them at conferences...etc.

Cheers,

neener
05-31-2009, 07:16 AM
It's a super small agency, but as far as I know, legit. I queried them in March, but got no response. It does state on the website that they might be a no responder though, so not unexpected. Sorry, I don't have anything more than that.

CaoPaux
05-31-2009, 07:22 AM
Here her AQ page: http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=585

Googling "by Amy Jameson at" finds sales reports for her at both current and previous agencies.

Erin
05-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Amy spent 7 years at Janklow and split off to form her own firm. I queried her on 4/19, but haven't received a response.

Sarah Christine
10-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Anyone had any recent experience here? Response times? Partial requests? ...Anything?

C.T. Richmond
10-20-2009, 01:32 AM
I sent Amy a query back in early May, but never received a response. Alas. Like Neener said, I think she only responds if interested.

emandem
10-20-2009, 02:07 AM
Ditto...She's a non-responder...

Erin
10-20-2009, 06:31 AM
She never responded to my April query. I queried her on a 2nd project 8/28 and she hasn't responded. I believe her website says she doesn't respond if not interested.

Empress Awesome
05-17-2011, 05:34 AM
Just received a partial request earlier today. YAY!

ebenstone
05-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Partial request for me as well from Trevor Redd, making me wonder if he's a "new guy" in their office. I know someone else on QT got a partial request too.

Good luck!

Drachen Jager
05-18-2011, 12:18 AM
When did you guys query? I just sent one today, curious what the wait time is.

Empress Awesome
05-18-2011, 03:57 AM
When did you guys query? I just sent one today, curious what the wait time is.

It was five days for my query.

ebenstone
05-18-2011, 06:11 AM
Sent mine on the 10th, got the request on the 16th. FWIW.

ebenstone
05-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Request for whole this afternoon.

Empress Awesome
05-20-2011, 11:51 PM
Partial updated to full today! Guess they want to extend their client list.

Sydneyd
05-20-2011, 11:51 PM
Me too. This guy must read fast.

Empress Awesome
06-03-2011, 09:50 PM
I guess two weeks is too early to nudge on a full, right? I just gotta know!

Empress Awesome
06-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Uh, ok... nevermind. Just got my rejection a couple mins ago.

Anna L.
06-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Quick reader indeed. I think I'll query, if only to have the refreshing experience of quick requests/rejections. :tongue

YA_Writer
06-09-2011, 12:21 AM
I got a 50 page partial request from Camilla Schulte today (query sent on Saturday, June 04, 2011 2:18pm). Unfortunately, my email to her got cut off at about page 34, so this might be a little bump in the road.

JoyMC
06-09-2011, 09:07 PM
queried on 6/5
50 page partial request from Trevor Redd on 6/9!
update: partial updated to full request on 6/13!

BrigidGH
07-13-2011, 08:38 PM
I queried Amy Jameson on 6/25 and got a request for a 50-page partial on 7/8 from Camilla Shulte. I submitted the partial on 7/9 and I'm waiting to hear back.

LateNightLady
07-13-2011, 09:20 PM
EQ on 7/8/11 to Amy Jameson
ER on 7/12/11 by Catherine Beck

Djk350
07-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Got a request today for a partial from Catherine Beck. I can't find much about her on the web... anybody know anything?

JoyMC
07-17-2011, 04:24 AM
No, and I've been curious about Trevor Redd, who requested my full when I queried Amy. Amy is still the only agent listed on the A+B Works website. Via Google, the only thing I could find about Trevor Redd was his Facebook page, which indicates he is a 2011 graduate of BYU. It would be nice to know more about these additional subagents/partners/assistants Amy has taken on. I guess if one of us receives a call we can find out more!

Djk350
07-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Keep me updated JoyMC! Fingers are crossed that they're reputable.... Amy seems fairly legitimate.

BrigidGH
07-19-2011, 06:34 PM
They seem to have been requesting a lot of partials lately, according to QueryTracker––first from Camilla Shulte and then from Catherine Beck. Looks like no one has recently heard from Amy herself, but she has a $ on Preditors & Editors, which is a good sign. And I'm guessing that, since she seems to be the only agent at A+B Works, she needs a bunch of assistants to help her read everything.

JoyMC
07-19-2011, 07:42 PM
oh, Amy is definitely reputable. i wouldn't have queried if she wasn't. she represents Shannon Hale, for one thing, and worked at Janklow and Nesbit for a good stretch. but in my emails from Trevor Redd, the wording has made it sound like he personally is the one requesting. i guess we'll see!

Empress Awesome
07-19-2011, 08:00 PM
I love this agency. My full was rejected, but Trevor Redd sent me the most in depth explanation when I asked why it was rejected. No one has EVER told me these things about my novel, and I wish they had before I queried so many agents.

JoyMC
07-19-2011, 09:52 PM
sorry about the rejection, Empress Awesome, but glad it sounds like a relatively positive experience for you. did you get the impression Trevor was rejecting on behalf of Amy Jameson, or that he is a new agent?

Empress Awesome
07-20-2011, 01:37 AM
It was really positive, though I wish he would have said yes instead! He rejected on behalf of the entire agency, there was no mention of Amy Jameson at all, and his name was in the sig-- I'm thinking he's an agent. The request for the partial was a form and used "we" (as in the agency, I guess), but the request for the full used "I" and was definitely NOT a form.

I wonder if he was formally an assistant and is now taking his own clients.

BrigidGH
07-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Wow, Empress Awesome! That's great you got such amazing feedback!

I wish Camilla Shulte had been that in-depth with me ... She sent me a rejection on my partial today. Not even one comment as to why––just a form rejection. *sighs*

Djk350
07-23-2011, 10:04 PM
I got a form rejection yesterday for my partial. UGH.

Empress Awesome
07-23-2011, 11:57 PM
You guys should politely email and ask-- that's what I had to do. But mine was a full, so I don't know if they consider it a different case.

bershka
12-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Has anyone queried Amy lately?

Undercover
12-12-2012, 04:56 PM
I got a partial then full request from Mckelle George, Amy's assistant. I got a R&R, but ultimately it was a decline. I thought of her as very responsive and always professional. They're very very small and only accept a small amount of clients. Good luck if you queried.

cymberle
01-22-2013, 04:51 AM
I emailed a query 1/7 and got a partial request from Tricia 1/16. Was actually a bit surprised as I didn't expect anything from this agency. Will keep my fingers crossed though.

owlish
05-28-2013, 03:31 AM
A friend of mine submitted a query to A+B for her MG series on May 1, 2013. She received a request for a partial May 11th, a full on May 15th, and an e-mail today from an intern explaining that she loved the story and would be sending the manuscript to her fellow interns, and then on to Amy if they all liked it.

Sounds promising! But as I've read, it looks like lots of partials/fulls are requested and then rejected. Who knows what will happen! I'll keep you all posted.

JoyMC
05-28-2013, 04:34 AM
A friend of mine submitted a query to A+B for her MG series on May 1, 2013. She received a request for a partial May 11th, a full on May 15th, and an e-mail today from an intern explaining that she loved the story and would be sending the manuscript to her fellow interns, and then on to Amy if they all liked it.

Sounds promising! But as I've read, it looks like lots of partials/fulls are requested and then rejected. Who knows what will happen! I'll keep you all posted.

It does sound promising, but it was my exact experience with them. Only I never heard from them again - it was a couple years ago. Good luck to your friend, though!

I also think it's a bit weird that she has Shannon Hale on her website, implying that she reps her, and I expect maybe she did sell some of her early books. But Shannon Hale is repped by Barry Goldblatt, and it seems a bit disingenuous to imply she is a current client. Can anyone shed more light on that situation?

owlish
08-01-2013, 12:38 AM

Following up my previous post. My friend received an e-mail two days ago from one of the interns who works for A+B and was told that she would be passing it on to Amy. She also provided thoughtful comments and suggestions on the manuscript. I will let you all know if she gets represented or not!

Cricket18
08-13-2013, 04:24 AM
I got upgraded from partial to full, and then a somewhat vague R/R.

Like many others, Amy was never mentioned in any of the emails. Everything was 'I' this or 'I' that. So I emailed her back, thanking her for the R/R, and asked if this would be for her or for Amy to represent if the R/R worked to their liking.

She never responded.

redwing
01-03-2014, 08:11 PM
I got a partial request from McKenzie Hansen six days after my query. It took her a little over two weeks, but she asked me to rewrite my first chapter completely. Apparently, she loved the premise of my novel but didn't find the writing good enough.
After a month, I e-mailed her about the status of the chapter. She said it was just what she wanted. But…she wanted more revisions: work on the whole fifty pages. I spent a long time on them, but after I sent them in, I began submitting to publishers. To be honest, I was a little irritated that it took her so long to respond, even with a single chapter.
Within a day of my sending out submissions, I received a contract.

Maddie
01-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Within a day of my sending out submissions, I received a contract.

Was that contract from A+B, or from the publishers you subbed to?

redwing
01-03-2014, 08:39 PM
It was from a different publisher. Basically, I'm trying to explain this agency (or namely Mckenzie Hansen) can be slow responders.

Sheryl Nantus
01-03-2014, 09:36 PM
It was from a different publisher. Basically, I'm trying to explain this agency (or namely Mckenzie Hansen) can be slow responders.

Hardly.

You might want to check around and see how the response time is for other agents and publishers.

You got a partial request SIX DAYS after your query. You got a response a MONTH after reworking a chapter.

The publishing world does not work like a video game. There is a lot of time involved in every aspect. Patience is a virtue and all that.

Even in this age of electronic submissions it takes time to get a good publisher or an agent. That is, the good ones.

Krista G.
01-03-2014, 10:15 PM

I agree with Sheryl. My now-agent took a week to respond to my query (and she only responded that quickly because she recognized my name), two and a half months to respond to my partial, and another month and a half to respond to my full. But she did end up offering and has since sold three books for me, so response time doesn't always correspond to interest.

Filigree
01-03-2014, 10:57 PM
A month's wait in this business is actually lightning-fast. I'd check to make sure that the contract is with a publisher you actually want to work with, before writing any agency off.

I won't name names, but I know someone who has been working for several months with a very well-known agent. The agent is enthusiastic about the mms, but has some ideas how to refine it to give the strongest chances in the market. The author is taking her time with careful, gorgeous revisions. They both know they get only one shot with the best markets for this genre.

This book could have sold as-is last year to any number of small publishers. I suspect it will be getting a large advance contract from one of the Big Five or a reputable midrange publisher, possibly a rights auction, and certainly a mention in PW's 'deals' section.

Patience can be a good strategy.

redwing
01-04-2014, 12:41 AM
I guess it does sound impatient. The thing is, the month it took to read a single chapter seemed a bit long for a follow-up. If it was a query, a partial, or especially a full, I wouldn't have minded waiting longer-- I'm used to about three months for queries and maybe one or two for partials (never gotten a full request (the publishers usually ask for the entire manuscript)). But the fact that the single chapter was only five pages and sent to her personal e-mail changes things a bit. Sorry if I sound impatient, that's just how I'm looking at this.

redwing
01-04-2014, 12:42 AM
Plus, I see that other people that have queried this agency got responses to their partials, fulls and such within only a few days. Maybe McKenzie is working with another project?
Oh, and thanks for your advice. Y'all are really experienced, and it really does help me out a lot.

Filigree
01-04-2014, 02:38 AM
I'm not that experienced - I have one book published - but I have been hanging around with industry professionals long enough to get a basic feel for how the business works.

My gut instinct, if this applied to my work, would be to thank Solstice for their interest, but tell them I am removing the mms from the market at this time. Nothing else said.

I'd look at my to-be-queried agent list, and my query itself. Weed out the former and refine the latter, then send out small batches of queries every month or couple of months. If the book is strong enough to get a legitimate offer from Solstice, it will catch other publishers' interest.

I would not start querying publishers until I'd gone through potential agents. This also means identifying those agents who might be amenable to advising on a contract when you do get an offer - that's how I found my current agent. Some agents won't work on contracts they didn't shop around from the beginning, so pay attention to their blogs and guidelines. Some agents who are closed to unsolicited queries are more approachable when an author has a contract offer worth the agent's interest.

If I had no agent interest (and I stopped querying for one book when I hit the 75-agents-and-no-dice stage), then I'd apply some more market research for publishers. I'd try to identify strong mid-range or big publishers open to unagented queries. That means they are stable, they have a good industry reputation, they have a fair number of authors selling well, and their management is sane. You'd be surprised how important that is.

This process takes time.

redwing
01-04-2014, 08:20 PM
That's why I was shocked to receive something from Solstice. My strategy is going through every possibility on P&E alphabetically…
I got rejected by 40 agencies (though I'm still waiting to hear back from one that has a reply to all concept. They said three months, it's been five…they'll reply eventually. If they don't, it must not be right for them).
Truthfully, I think I'd have a lot of trouble finding an agency I didn't already submit to. But you make a really good point. I'll think about it.

redwing
01-08-2014, 04:12 AM
I love these people. The revisions they suggested for me are giving me offers from publishers left and right.

Filigree
01-08-2014, 05:33 AM
There you go, the power of positive thinking! As long as the offers are coming from reasonable publishers, you are in great shape.

Sometimes, the publishing journey is full of strange detours. I still thank fate that I got a rejection from a publisher who appeared fine, but had a meltdown around the time my debut novel was published by a far more sane and professional house. The rejection stung while I was still querying, but it makes me smile now.

The Hybrid
04-22-2015, 11:39 PM
I'm looking into querying these guys and am wondering who they represent so I can get an idea of how well they do.
Thanks!

Krista G.
04-23-2015, 08:24 PM
I'm looking into querying these guys and am wondering who they represent so I can get an idea of how well they do.
Thanks!

Ms. Jameson's leading client is probably Jessica Day George (http://www.jessicadaygeorge.com/), and she also worked with Shannon Hale when Ms. Hale was first starting out. I think Ms. Jameson purposely keeps her list quite small, so if you can't find many clients, that's probably because there aren't that many. :)