PDA

View Full Version : Pandora internet radio, anyone?

Fenika
05-31-2009, 05:08 AM
So I re-heard of Pandora radio (when the professor started playing it in the background during class, interestingly enough) and finally decided to check it out.

Love it.

I started with Seether. Added some Crossfade, Linkin Park, Fergie, so on, and whatever they suggested that I recognized and enjoyed. It's been playing songs I already have, songs I recognized but never knew the title/artist, and some weird stuff. Thanks to Fergie and a Timberland song it went through this insane Dance phase, but I got it off of that crap with a single disapproval. (Some dance is okay, so I hope I haven't scared the thing off of dance. I can always add my fav dance songs later)

Fuel, Staind, Nickelback, and MB20 are my most recently played.

Thumbs up, thumbs down, don't play for a month. What's not to love?

Who else is on here and does anyone share taste with me? Apparently we can swap 'stations'

Cheers

Angie
05-31-2009, 05:17 AM
Hadn't heard of it before. Checking it out now. :)

Fenika
05-31-2009, 06:08 AM
Hi Angie :) I bet you'll put some boom in your Pandora ;)

C.bronco
05-31-2009, 06:13 AM
I have eight stations.
:D

Fenika
05-31-2009, 06:14 AM
Eight? I'm a slacker. I'm *thinking* about adding 1 or 2 others.

TheRightEyedDeer
05-31-2009, 06:29 AM
Dear Pandora Visitor,
We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

:rant:

jennontheisland
05-31-2009, 07:07 AM
Yeah, no such thing in Canada.

Bastards.

(though when I was in the US a friend sent me a station and I loved it)
(and the IT guy at work says I'm not aloud to route myself through the VPN via Long Beach CA just so I can listen to it at work. bastard)

Terri
05-31-2009, 07:24 AM
Yep. Us poor, neglected Canadians.

I did get access to Pandora for about a week. Never really got to play around with it, though, since it decided to inform me that I don't live in That Country Where It Is Legal.

jennontheisland
05-31-2009, 07:42 AM
I wonder what the issue is? Maybe we should start lobbying the CRTC....

Sage
05-31-2009, 07:47 AM
My coworker has it on his phone. It sounds pretty cool, but I'm worried what affect things like me disliking a single song by certain artists I love and disapproving it (for example, I hate the 3 Doors Down song "Here Without You" but love the band otherwise, but I'd say HWY is one of their biggest songs). Or me being fairly eclectic and going through phases where I want, say, oldies, then pop, then hard rock, then alternative, then folk, and so on.

Adam Israel
05-31-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm on it. Pandora is pure, unfiltered awesome. Unfortunately, we're away from home for a while and we're using satellite internet, which doesn't play so friendly with streaming media. :(

Button
05-31-2009, 08:49 AM
I love Pandora. I've got about 15 or so stations. I've picked up so many new bands and songs simply by letting Pandora try and pick things it thinks I'd like. The thumb down thing is awesome. Being able to train each station to play what I'm looking for is fantastic.

I can thumb down a song, but Pandora will continue to share other available songs from the same band if they fit into the station's algorithms.

They are OK when it comes to more obscure music, but I found where a few months ago I couldn't find certain music, now I can.

SPMiller
05-31-2009, 09:00 AM
I happen to have the bestest Pandora stations ever.

Fenika
05-31-2009, 06:15 PM
It gave me a little trouble last night with the 'only 6 skips per hour' so I created a new station based around Bond. Interesting stuff.

And SP, next time I catch you online I'm harassing you for station shares :tongue

sunna
05-31-2009, 06:17 PM
LOVE Pandora. I have three stations, and keep it going at work all day.

Sage
05-31-2009, 06:22 PM
It gave me a little trouble last night with the 'only 6 skips per hour' so I created a new station based around Bond. Interesting stuff.

And SP, next time I catch you online I'm harassing you for station shares :tongue
See, the 6 skips per hour might give me problems too. I once tried Musicmatch Jukebox's version of this, and it started out with every other song being something that I didn't like or was bored of, and I skipped those... only to be eventually told that I couldn't skip any more for a while.

Fenika
05-31-2009, 06:26 PM
But if you give a thumbs down, it doesn't count as a skip. I don't think so anyways. Maybe. But you seriously need to play around with this. If you mess up one station, just build another.

Nothing to lose but the few minutes it takes to pick a handful of artists.

Fenika
05-31-2009, 06:26 PM
PS- urgh, it just pulled up Jewel. x.x

Sage
05-31-2009, 06:30 PM
They get major bonus points for knowing "I Can't Decide" by Scissor Sisters

Sage
05-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Also for having an option to buy songs from Amazon and not just from iTunes ('cuz iTunes doesn't work for me unless I strip my programs down to just iTunes)

ETA: And they let you see lyrics? (Might be in love ;))

Fenika
05-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Oh, lyrics? I missed that *runs to look*

Also, they are very polite. They apologize when you give a thumbs down!

Now if only they had more Kiwi bands.

Sage
05-31-2009, 07:12 PM
So far based off my initial entry, I've only skipped one song

Williebee
05-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Pandora is great. I have a few stations. The Music Genome Project has been a great way to find new artists.

Finetune.com is too. Commercial free, and free. You pick the artists, you pick the songs from the artists. You can ask it to fill in with similar artists if you get bored selecting songs.

For personal lists you can only pick three songs per artist (although you can get around that by pulling from compilations and soundtracks). But there are "finetune" created lists that are specific artist loaded.

In both cases you can "click to buy" specific songs, which is a cool way to find new music for your mp3 player.

Oh, and you can listen in to other people's playlists. You'll find mine under... williebee.

On Pandora it was "Coffee for my souL"

eta: son of a gun, still is.

:)

Medievalist
05-31-2009, 08:03 PM
LastFM is fun too.

Pandora works on iPhones with a free .app