PDA

View Full Version : Kanye West Doesn't Read

DVGuru
05-31-2009, 04:45 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSTRE54P5L820090526?feedType=RSS&feedName=entertainmentNews

"Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed," West said. "I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book's autograph.

"I am a proud non-reader of books. I like to get information from doing stuff like actually talking to people and living real life," he said.

West, a college dropout, said being a non-reader was helpful when he wrote his book because it gave him "a childlike purity."

I don't know about you guys, but I love getting autographs from books.

Brutal Mustang
05-31-2009, 04:47 AM
Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

Millicent M'Lady
05-31-2009, 04:49 AM
So, to sum up- he won't read books and is actively slagging off reading but expects other people to read his? Nice double standard there...

And a big:ROFL:at that "I wouldn't want a book's autograph" too. I wouldn't want a book's autograph either. Damn books thinking they're better than everyone...

Calla Lily
05-31-2009, 05:02 AM
:Headbang:

Fran
05-31-2009, 05:02 AM
What a great example to set his fans! I don't understand people who don't read, I always think it means they have absolutely no interest in anything other than themselves. Is it possible to get to college without reading books? I sincerely hope it isn't, but I worked for Student Loans here in the UK and know a few of them aren't the brightest... :)

brainstorm77
05-31-2009, 05:06 AM
i'm sooooo shocked!

fairy86
05-31-2009, 05:09 AM
:Shrug:The South Park parody of him was spot on.

Kayley
05-31-2009, 05:12 AM
Wow...I like Kanye's music, but I don't think I'll be supporting his views anytime soon. In all honesty, I haven't read much about him. From what I do know, I certainly don't have a high opinion of his personality.

PortableHal
05-31-2009, 05:15 AM
Interesting guy.

He doesn't read books, believing it gives him a childlike purity.

From now on, I won't listen to his music.

Because of my adult-like maturity.

Wayne K
05-31-2009, 05:16 AM
I have War and Peace's autograph.

donroc
05-31-2009, 05:32 AM
Fair enough. I do not purchase KW or intend to.

JustJess
05-31-2009, 05:53 AM
Funny to see this posted as it drives me crazy how he misuses the word "telekenisis" in one of his songs....as in

I should have seen it coming, wish I had telekenisis

Sure it's a nifty little rhyme for "Jesus" but it doesn't make the word any more applicable. For what it's worth, there is nothing remotely child-like or pure about his song lyrics. I can only imagine what his book must be like.

sassandgroove
05-31-2009, 06:03 AM
didn't like him before. def don't like him now. what an idiot.

DeadlyAccurate
05-31-2009, 06:15 AM
What a great example to set his fans! I don't understand people who don't read, I always think it means they have absolutely no interest in anything other than themselves. Is it possible to get to college without reading books? I sincerely hope it isn't, but I worked for Student Loans here in the UK and know a few of them aren't the brightest... :)

(bolding mine)
That pretty much sums up every quote by this man I've ever seen. I'm fairly certain the guy doesn't live on the same planet as the rest of us.

blacbird
05-31-2009, 09:06 AM
West, a college dropout, said being a non-reader was helpful when he wrote his book because it gave him "a childlike purity."

This is going to, like, make me rush right out, like, and, like, buy his, like, book, like tomorrow, know what I mean?

caw

colealpaugh
05-31-2009, 09:19 AM
I have his sneaker's autograph. The left one, I think.
http://www.sneakerfiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/nike-dunk-high-custom-kanye-west-graduation-main.jpg

HelloKiddo
05-31-2009, 09:54 AM
His book is 52 pages -- some blank, others with just a few words

Sounds like a book a person who doesn't like books might write/buy. It doesn't be all wordy like some other books.

jodiodi
05-31-2009, 10:32 AM
My goodness. He's an idiot and a fool. Ignorance is one thing--people can be taught. Stupidity is irreparable.

Like some comedian said, "You can't fix stupid."

Cybernaught
05-31-2009, 10:53 AM
I wonder if Pop-Up pictures would help him to appreciate books more.

Maiden
05-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Like some comedian said, "You can't fix stupid."

Ron White

Cassiopeia
05-31-2009, 11:38 AM
I think its more likely he can't read.

Leasie
05-31-2009, 11:54 AM
I really pity him.

dgrintalis
05-31-2009, 12:05 PM
That is pathetic.

aadams73
05-31-2009, 12:15 PM
I think its more likely he can't read.

LOL! I was going to say: Can he read?

Cassiopeia
05-31-2009, 12:16 PM
LOL! I was going to say: Can he read?What can I says? GMTA
(great minds think alike..for those who don't know)

backslashbaby
05-31-2009, 01:21 PM
Hmmm, did you read his favorite Kanye-ism?

Apparently, this is how it's done in the book:

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/dan/kanyeblog/kanye1.jpg

Okey-dokey, then.

from http://www.cracked.com/blog/what-if-kanye-west-is-retarded/

Alitriona
05-31-2009, 02:04 PM

I agree, what a horrible example for young people, a horrible example for anyone.

Tburger
05-31-2009, 02:07 PM
"A child-like purity."

Does that mean it's a kid's book? A picture book? Wait, I figured it out: it's in crayon.

seun
05-31-2009, 02:32 PM
It should go without saying that Mr West is of course entitled to his opinion on books or indeed any other form of art and I will defend his right to his opinion until my dying day.

Just as I am entitled to my opinion he is a complete wanker.

Wayne K
05-31-2009, 03:02 PM
I vote wanker too.

jessicaorr
05-31-2009, 04:13 PM
:Shrug:The South Park parody of him was spot on.

Exactly. That episode was hilarious. :ROFL:

AnonymousWriter
05-31-2009, 05:18 PM
What an idiot. But come on, was this really a shock to anybody? It certainly didn't surprise me.

I can't believe I went to one of his concerts. Why did I give my money to him?!?!

Tburger
05-31-2009, 05:20 PM
How'd you like to be his ghost writer? Whoever it is, I hope he/she got paid A LOT.

scarletpeaches
05-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Reason number 5,294,385 why KanYe West is a twat.

Yes, I would say that to his ignorant, illiterate face.

After I'd bitchslapped it.

Lock thread.

icerose
05-31-2009, 05:32 PM
No surprise here, have you ever heard that man talk? His quote is a good example. His book would be downright painful to read.

scarletpeaches
05-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Okay, in all seriousness (like I wasn't serious about wanting to bitchslap this oxygen thief)...how can one be proud of what one isn't?

That's like me saying "I'm proud I can't swim!" or "I'm proud of not being able to drive."

Uh...how about being proud of what you can do, KanYe? Instead of saying "I'm a proud illiterate who can't even capitalise my own name properly," how about saying, "I'm proud of being a complete idiot with a talent for talking shit?"

How can you be proud of a negative? I don't get that.

ChaosTitan
05-31-2009, 05:49 PM
I hesitated to click on this thread, because I knew it would just make me sad. And it does. Young people do not need to look up to this man.

Shurikane
05-31-2009, 07:20 PM
True story.

While working in a book warehouse, I saw one of the more KW-y employees - 16 years old - pick up a 130-page book meant for 7th graders.

"Man, that book looks so long and complicated!"

ChaosTitan
05-31-2009, 07:26 PM
If you guys haven't checked out Cake Wrecks, it's a fun blog. And even they posted a reaction to Kanye's statements. It's a celebration of book cakes. :D

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/05/sunday-sweets-reading-rocks.html

jodiodi
05-31-2009, 08:35 PM
"Get use to being used."

He can't even use proper English with a ghost-writer? If he wrote this himself, he's an idiot. If he had a ghost-writer, he's a fool.

It doesn't even make sense.

Fox The Cave
05-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Why are you guys reacting so emotionally to this? Ok the comment about the books autograph was stupid, but if the guy doesn't like reading, then that doesn't make him a moron. Other things may well make Kayne West a moron, but it isn't this.

Plenty of people just don't enjoy it. They can still be perfectly intelligent.

Like he said, more learning comes from real life than out of books. Well, learning the important stuff anyway.

Soccer Mom
05-31-2009, 09:30 PM
The irony is tasty like dark chocolate. He doesn't read. He doesn't like books. So he made one and wants people to buy it.

Ahhhhhhhh, I need coffee with this. Delicious.

icerose
05-31-2009, 09:36 PM
Why are you guys reacting so emotionally to this? Ok the comment about the books autograph was stupid, but if the guy doesn't like reading, then that doesn't make him a moron. Other things may well make Kayne West a moron, but it isn't this.

Like he said, more learning comes from real life than out of books. Well, learning the important stuff anyway.

Because it was said while trying to hock his own book.

If he doesn't like to read, so what. But he doesn't read so he wrote his own book that he wants other people to buy and read. That makes him a moron.

If he doesn't like books and doesn't respect books or authors, he shouldn't place himself among them.

ChaosTitan
05-31-2009, 10:04 PM
If he doesn't like to read, so what. But he doesn't read so he wrote his own book that he wants other people to buy and read. That makes him a moron.

Or a hypocrite.

Take your pick.

It's like me saying "I want to write song lyrics, but I don't like music."

Fran
05-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Wonder what his excuse will be if the book dies on its arse.

"I told everyone not to read it!"

"I put out crap hoping gullible people will buy any old tat with my name on it!"

*It would insult the intelligence of a three-year-old."

:D

Cranky
05-31-2009, 10:24 PM
"...they be so wordy..."

Well, DUH. They're BOOKS. Which are written using --wait for it-- WORDS! What a hypocritical moron.

dolores haze
05-31-2009, 10:34 PM
Oh, come on now, folks. Kanye's just keeping it real -- real ignorant. (Chris Rock line)

Cranky
05-31-2009, 10:39 PM
Oh, come on now, folks. Kanye's just keeping it real -- real ignorant. (Chris Rock line)

*fistbump*

brainstorm77
05-31-2009, 10:42 PM

Why? We are expressing our opinions..... Isn't that the whole point of a discussion?

sheadakota
05-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Never heard of him- what's that make me?

Fran
05-31-2009, 10:52 PM

Very lucky :D

Storm Dream
05-31-2009, 10:56 PM
they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!KANYE WEST is complaining about others being self-absorbed?

I haven't laughed this hard in weeks.

Kayley
05-31-2009, 11:28 PM
This part of the article made me lol also:

So does he fancy himself a modern-day Confucius?
"I'm trying to end the confusion," he said, laughing and adding, "I'm gonna put that on the next album."

I don't think that was an intended pun. :o But hey, there is a chance it was. A slim chance.

I also like how he dedicates the book to his English professor mother after dissing on writing. How appropriate.

I love that article though. Will definitely be bookmarking it. :tongue

The Lonely One
05-31-2009, 11:30 PM
I think there are some generalizations being made against him in this thread and elsewhere; a link between ebonics and stupidity, which is wrong. A link between choosing not to read books and stupidity, which is wrong (especially in this day and age of technology).

And I would take a little bit of time to defend the guy...if he wasn't such an arrogant POS.

unicornjam
05-31-2009, 11:39 PM
What's up with all of these "DURR NOT SURPRISED HURR" comments? Did he reveal in an earlier interview that he wasn't the reading sort? I know he's a self-absorbed asshole, but I wouldn't automatically put someone in the "non-reader" category because of it.

Aside from that, I think it's dumb for him to be proud of not being a reader. Some people just don't enjoy it, fine, but to be proud? Meh.

Fran
05-31-2009, 11:48 PM
A link between choosing not to read books and stupidity, which is wrong (especially in this day and age of technology).

I don't think he IS stupid. It's hard to know whether or not that makes his comments worse. I didn't know his mother was an English professor, but if an English professor can't instill a love of reading in him I suppose that means there was no hope for him in that direction. My worry is that his young fans, particularly his young black fans who already perform badly at school in the UK in comparison to their white classmates, will pick up on this as an 'excuse' to continue to underperform. Granted, if they do then education isn't a high priority for them anyway, but any who are dissuaded from education for any reason is a bad thing in my opinion. As you say, this is a technological age and people don't necessarily have to learn from books anymore but the basic ability to read still has to be there whatever medium they use.

SouthernFriedJulie
05-31-2009, 11:57 PM
This part of the article made me lol also:

I don't think that was an intended pun. :o But hey, there is a chance it was. A slim chance.

I also like how he dedicates the book to his English professor mother after dissing on writing. How appropriate.

I love that article though. Will definitely be bookmarking it. :tongue

I was about to C&P that in here. I'm thinking of getting a sig out of that, somehow.

scarletpeaches
06-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Why are you guys reacting so emotionally to this?

Because we're writers. Fancy.

Ok the comment about the books autograph was stupid, but if the guy doesn't like reading, then that doesn't make him a moron. Other things may well make Kayne West a moron, but it isn't this.

Slagging off books when you expect people to buy yours is what makes him stupid. Being proud of choosing not to read is what makes him stupid.

They don't often display their intelligence by bragging about what they don't do.

You think?

So why didn't he just live his life instead of 'writing' a book then?

blacbird
06-01-2009, 12:19 AM
I don't think he IS stupid. It's hard to know whether or not that makes his comments worse. I didn't know his mother was an English professor,

Most of the other big-name rappers regard Kanye West as a plastic poser, in the same category as Vanilla Ice, pretty much. Maybe he's making some pathetic attempt at capturing some street cred here.

caw

Kayley
06-01-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't necessarily think it is wrong for Kanye to be proud of his dislike of books. He just has a different perspective on books. He thinks books are bad. It's like when I'm proud of the fact that I haven't done any drugs because I think drugs are bad. I definitely don't agree that books are bad, and I wouldn't call it a smart view to have, but I can understand the premise behind why he said it.

However, I do think he is showing much stupidity, for a different reason. Like other users have pointed out, the main stupidity is that he is dissing on books, then asking people to buy his. That's like he's dissing on the people who buy his book, since he thinks books are bad. And if people like Kanye enough to buy his book, they wouldn't want him to be dissing on them.

There are also parts of the article that show stupidity, such as the Confucious thing.

I didn't necessarily expect him to act stupid, but he certainly did.

I do think that most learning comes from life rather than reading, but that isn't the idea that most of us are insulting. The stupid part is, as previously stated, the fact that he is saying books are bad while trying to sell his own book.

The Lonely One
06-01-2009, 12:32 AM
It's hard not to see the self-important nature of the book, and his life views (sorry--Kanye-isms).

It does make me wonder, what life advice could this man offer me that would entice me to purchase a book filled with it?

If not just for the seemingly fun formatting.

The Lonely One
06-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Plus, anyone could make fun of the article. Some people have bad interviews.

I think for homework we should all read the book and then hold a symposium on kanye-isms and what value they offer society.

Kayley
06-01-2009, 12:37 AM
It's hard not to see the self-important nature of the book, and his life views (sorry--Kanye-isms).

It does make me wonder, what life advice could this man offer me that would entice me to purchase a book filled with it?

If not just for the seemingly fun formatting.

Here are some of his "words of wisdom", quoted from the article:

"I hate the word hate!"

"Life is 5% what happens and 95% how you react!"

Remember kids, (not a Kanyeism) "42.7% of statistics are made up on the spot!" :)

M.R.J. Le Blanc
06-01-2009, 12:41 AM
There's nothing wrong with saying 'I don't like to read'. There is something wrong with saying 'I don't like to read, reading is stupid and anyone who writes books is self-absorbed'. He's not just bashing writers, but by extension he's indirectly bashing those that like to read. To me, he gives the image of someone who may have had a hard time with his reading skill, but instead of working on it decided that reading sucked and continues to lash out against it. My father isn't fond of reading books and generally doesn't read, but he doesn't think I'm an idiot for reading books or writing them. I've known other people who don't understand the appeal of reading a novel or writing one, but not seeing the appeal is entirely different from saying it outright sucks. Kanye sounds like has a poor reading skill that he's embarrassed about.

Vincent
06-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Plus, anyone could make fun of the article. Some people have bad interviews.

I think for homework we should all read the book and then hold a symposium on kanye-isms and what value they offer society.

Yes, let's all put more money in Kanye's pocket.

The Lonely One
06-01-2009, 12:46 AM

I said read it not pay for it. I have a big jacket somewhere.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
06-01-2009, 12:51 AM
You could probably start and finish it in the store. Doesn't sound like it has a lot of content.

The Lonely One
06-01-2009, 12:53 AM
You could probably start and finish it in the store. Doesn't sound like it has a lot of content.

See now we're brainstorming. And no one's even had to read anything yet.

RoseColoredSkies
06-01-2009, 01:41 AM
I expect he did have a hard time with reading as a child. I know if kids who struggle with reading comprehension aren't told and encouraged to keep trying, they give up. My mother works with a lot of kids like that.

And I do agree this is not an image we want our young people to see. Reading is a great joy and it helps in all facets of life.

Gotta say though, the not wanting a book's autograph is really amusing. Well no, it would be hard to get a book to sign anything...it doesn't have hands!

midknighthaze
06-01-2009, 02:00 AM
Wow. Can't believe I like his music! Still! But it goes to show you; you can love the work, not the person.

brainstorm77
06-01-2009, 02:18 AM
I'm not a fan and will not be buying his book... I would however be interested in knowing what the sales are.

backslashbaby
06-01-2009, 02:20 AM
He wrote the book with a chiildhood and lifelong friend who fancies himself a great thinker. If you read the co-author's blog, you'll see him refer to "fellow thinkers" such as Descartes.

In one interview I read, Kanye explains how he and this frend are very special 'thinkers'.

It is one thing to be proud of being 'plain folk,' and another thing to add in your own self-comparison to Descartes, ifyaknowwhatimean ;)

http://www.wethinkllc.com/blog/?s=intellectual

"I am the brilliant anti-intellectual, too special to read books. Behold my genius."

BenPanced
06-01-2009, 02:33 AM

I said read it not pay for it. I have a big jacket somewhere.

Meet you at Barnes & Noble. I've got a discount card and we can hole up in Starbucks.

icerose
06-01-2009, 02:51 AM
He wrote the book with a chiildhood and lifelong friend who fancies himself a great thinker. If you read the co-author's blog, you'll see him refer to "fellow thinkers" such as Descartes.

In one interview I read, Kanye explains how he and this frend are very special 'thinkers'.

It is one thing to be proud of being 'plain folk,' and another thing to add in your own self-comparison to Descartes, ifyaknowwhatimean ;)

http://www.wethinkllc.com/blog/?s=intellectual

"I am the brilliant anti-intellectual, too special to read books. Behold my genius."

It looks like Kayne is in good company then...

Williebee
06-01-2009, 03:12 AM
I don't listen to Kanye West. Guess that makes us even.

Brutal Mustang
06-01-2009, 03:17 AM
LOL! I was going to say: Can he read?

:roll:

bettielee
06-01-2009, 03:28 AM
so.... so much to say.... but the least of them will get me banned...

so... so much to say...

The Lonely One
06-01-2009, 03:37 AM
Wow. Can't believe I like his music! Still! But it goes to show you; you can love the work, not the person.

Which is why I still enjoyed the Dark Knight.

jodiodi
06-01-2009, 03:56 AM
My husband doesn't like to read. He can read, just doesn't want to. Unless it's on the computer screen, he doesn't read it. He'd rather play online poker. And he does read about Chicago sports.

I try to get him to read and I think he did read a certain book- which-shall-not-be-named for fear of another bashing, several years ago. Of course, it took him weeks to read a book that took me a day.

Even watching TV, he tells me the shows I like make his head hurt 'cause he has to think too much.

My mother encouraged me to read from the time she could prop me up in her lap. My honey, however, hated school and never sat still long enough to read anything as a kid. His sister=brilliant and an avid reader. His brother is like him.

He drives me crazy when we have debates. He bases his argument on his opinion and emotion. Rarely does he back up his arguments with facts. He tries to drive me crazy, I think.

bettielee
06-01-2009, 04:00 AM
True. Some very intelligent people don't read. I don't think Kanye West is one of them.

scarletpeaches
06-01-2009, 12:05 PM
I think some folks are missing the point.

So he doesn't read? Woot. That's not it.

He's a PROUD non-reader.

He's proud of something he DOESN'T do.

THAT is what makes him stupid. Not unintelligent, but STUPID.

nighttimer
06-01-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm saddened, but far from surprised.

Kanye West is just a symptom of a bigger disease: the glorification of stupidity and ignorance. It's bad everywhere and worse in the Black community where speaking proper English and having aspirations beyond being a rapper, basketball player or mommy gets a kid branded as "acting White."

It doesn't make the evening news and nobody's marching about it. The fact there's a Black man in the White House hasn't altered the fact that intelligence and accomplishment is being derided and failure and dependency is being lauded.

If you can always blame your shortcomings and setbacks on somebody else you never have to take responsibility for changing your life.

I wonder how Kanye West would respond to this:

On criticism:
“Certain people tell us that we are picking on the poor. Many of those who accuse us are scholars and intellectuals, upset that we are not blaming everything on white people as they do. Well, only blaming the system keeps certain black people in the limelight but it also keeps the black poor wallowing in victimhood.”

On raising children:
“All black parents can do right by their children, and all black children can succeed. There is no reason why not.”
“Use standard English when you have your kids together, not Black English. They’ll hear enough of that in the streets…Watch the movie My Fair Lady. All cultures discriminate against people who have not mastered the standard language, and when race is involved, it is all that much harder for a nonstandard speaker to feel competent or even at home in the culture.”

On the media:
“Some of the most negative images of African Americans on TV and in the movies seem to be the most popular among young people—black and white. With both good and bad media out there, you have to help select media for kids that will support their successes and suppress their urge to give up or drop out.”

On black men:
“Gangsta rap makes our young people tough, but not so tough they can walk through prison walls. It can jazz them about sex, but it can’t begin to make them a good father. No matter how often, or how publicly they grab their crotches, crotch-grabbing isn’t even going to get them a bus ride downtown.”

“When all is said and done, the black child is our future. It’s time for us men to think of the future, to straighten out our acts, to say to ourselves, I am more interested in raising my child than any other issue I had before. I’m going to behave or get help, but it’s about the child. No matter how useless or hopeless a father may think he is, his role is simply to be there. If he makes that commitment, he is a much better man than he thought he was.”

On “victimhood”:
“Sometimes people with a victim mentality feel hopeless and do self-destructive things that make their lives even worse. It is time to redirect that energy. It is time to think positively and act positively. Black communities and families must provide our youth with the love and guidance that keeps them strong and on that positive path. Blaming white people can be a way for some black people to feel better about themselves but it doesn’t pay the electric bills.”

~ Come On People: On the Path From Victims to Victors by Bill Cosby and Dr. Alvin Poussaint.

No matter if you voted enthusiastically for Obama or with equal enthusiasm against him or sat it out entirely, the election of an educated, intelligent and articulate Black man was a huge setback for the forces of ignorance, apathy and stupidity that are waging war against African-Americans. But they're not giving up easily and they aren't going away anytime soon.

If Kanye were interested in being part of the solution instead of perpetuating the problem he would celebrate, not denigrate reading and the possibilities it opens up for those whom embrace it.

I would hope at some point when he isn't so immature, self-centered and shallow he would look back at some of the things he has said and done and stop acting like a ignorant child and become a wiser man.

Maybe someone will tell Kanye what Cosby and Poussaint are saying since it's not likely he'll ever read it himself.

ccv707
06-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Too self absorbed??? This is coming from the guy who was livid about losing at the Grammys...not that anyone cares about the Grammys.

backslashbaby
06-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Oh, I'd argue that there may be more anti-intellectualism & anti-education with white folks (it might depend on where you live). And plenty of white people listen to rap.

Nope, not seeing a race thing here, personally. And I love colloquial speech, y'all :D But a 'so much better than those nerds' ideology has gotten more and more out of hand in a lot of societies, imho.

RickN
06-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I wonder how Kanye West would respond to this:

Given my belief in his intellectual prowess, I think his responses would be along the lines of:

What? Huh?

JJ Cooper
06-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Who gives a hoot. He opts not to read. So what?

A lot of people elect not to read. A lot of people elect not to drive either. Does that make them stupid too?

JJ

scarletpeaches
06-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Yeah, a point I already made (about the driving) , except HE BRAGS ABOUT IT.

thethinker42
06-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah, a point I already made (about the driving) , except HE BRAGS ABOUT IT.

AND he's putting out a book of his own, right?

That's like bragging about not eating meat, then starting your own line of gourmet bacon. (Well, not gourmet, since this is Kanye...but...)

donroc
06-01-2009, 04:14 PM
One should have several vocabularies in one's own national language. Here it is American Standard English to progress academically and careerwise, locker room vocabulary to be one of the guys/gals, ethnoccentric vocabulary to show you have not forgotten your roots, specialized vocabulary for your job/professions, and spiritual/metaphysicial vocabulary for communication/prayer with your supreme being of choice.

West is a performer, and we should never take what any performer says seriously in the context of his/her role playing unless we know them personally. When does the act end and the real person appear?

backslashbaby
06-01-2009, 04:35 PM
^^^ Very well-stated!

My beef with Kanye and his co-author is that they are comparing these Kanye-isms to Descartes! No Granny-wisdom (which is wise and plain folk). No 'regular guy' to it. They paint themselves as heavy philosophers. I say take a class or two then. Naivete doesn't go far if you compare yourself to Aristotle.

backslashbaby
06-01-2009, 04:46 PM
btw, just cause it's funny:

http://www.amazon.com/Kanye-Presents-Thank-Youre-Welcome/product-reviews/0978967917/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Amazon reviews of the book. "Like a child discovering Legos" is a brilliant simile, imho :D

RickN
06-01-2009, 04:49 PM
My beef with Kanye and his co-author is that they are comparing these Kanye-isms to Descartes!

Pretty funny since he probably thinks Descartes is what you put groceries in at DesPublix.

JJ Cooper
06-01-2009, 05:00 PM
AND he's putting out a book of his own, right?

That's like bragging about not eating meat, then starting your own line of gourmet bacon. (Well, not gourmet, since this is Kanye...but...)

Well ... I doubt he's putting a book out on his own.

But, it's good publicity for the publication

JJ

Phaeal
06-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Meh, his comments sound like a publicity gambit. Typical bad-boy posturing. It is to yawn, or would be, if so many people weren't eager to add another excuse for ignorance to their ever-expanding litanies.

Storm Dream
06-01-2009, 10:32 PM
I still find it hilarious that Kanye West is calling other people arrogant.

Hasn't he stomped out of various awards shows when he didn't win one category or whatever? One of his videos didn't win a prize at the European MTV awards so he went onstage anyway! and told the crowd he should've won instead.

Yeah, us writers are such pretentious snobs.

tee-hee.

ChunkyC
06-02-2009, 12:30 AM
I still find it hilarious that Kanye West is calling other people arrogant.

Hasn't he stomped out of various awards shows when he didn't win one category or whatever? One of his videos didn't win a prize at the European MTV awards so he went onstage anyway! and told the crowd he should've won instead.
I watched one Grammy show where he got up to accept the award he did win and was the most self-centred arrogant twerp I'd ever seen. He compared himself to Elvis and the Beatles and claimed that he deserved to OWN the Grammys. Perhaps if his music was more than just mediocre, I could forgive his monumental display of ego, but he's average at best.

He's a complete jackass who is about as poor a role model for young people as there is, and his hypocrisy with this book of his only reinforces my opinion of him as such. As for my annoyance over it; he's publicly dissing my craft and those who derive enjoyment from the work I produce. I can hardly not be annoyed.

The Lonely One
06-02-2009, 01:16 AM
No one is perfect.

The more perfect you tell people you are, the more imperfect you appear.

Maybe that should appear in Kanye's book.

TemlynWriting
06-09-2009, 03:29 AM
Or a hypocrite.

Take your pick.

Great analogy!

Kanye comes across as extremely ignorant, pretentious, self-absorbed, arrogant, etc.

Wow...

poetinahat
06-09-2009, 03:44 AM
Or a hypocrite.

Take your pick.

We occasionally get posts like this in Poetry:

I don't like poetry, don't read it, but I (choose one or more):
- write a lot of it
- just write it for myself
- want to write some and sell it. Tell me how.
- need you to, um, help (yeah, "help" -that's the ticket!) with a poem I haven't written yet. For a class assignment, due tomorrow. HURRY UP!

It's either appalling, or it's funny, depending on one's outlook. Today, I choose funny.

Libbie
06-09-2009, 04:07 AM
I think some folks are missing the point.

So he doesn't read? Woot. That's not it.

He's a PROUD non-reader.

He's proud of something he DOESN'T do.

THAT is what makes him stupid. Not unintelligent, but STUPID.

Yeah, right on. That, and he's proud of not reading and wrote a book.

narnia
06-09-2009, 04:18 PM

Um, me neither .... :Shrug:

fringle
06-09-2009, 04:27 PM
He knows what to say to keep people talking about him.

Libbie
06-09-2009, 05:41 PM
That makes you LUCKY.

Leah_Michelle
06-10-2009, 09:28 AM
I wonder if Pop-Up pictures would help him to appreciate books more.

:ROFL: Oh man, you just made my night!
Honestly though, not surprised in the least. Congrats to him for announcing that he is a proud non-reader. What does he want, a medal?

Vincent
06-10-2009, 09:38 AM
:ROFL: Oh man, you just made my night!
Honestly though, not surprised in the least. Congrats to him for announcing that he is a proud non-reader. What does he want, a medal?
Most assuredly he does. And he'll throw a tantrum if he doesn't get it.

dgiharris
06-10-2009, 09:51 AM
It is amazing what ego + money + celebritism can equal.

Mel...

KD_Kilker
06-11-2009, 06:39 AM
I like how the author of the article added in the bit about Kanye being a drop-out after the statement was made.

Is that irony, or just a humorous coincidence?

The Lonely One
06-11-2009, 06:50 AM
I like how the author of the article added in the bit about Kanye being a drop-out after the statement was made.

Is that irony, or just a humorous coincidence?

Journalists are supposed to be careful that their words are not prejudicial.

But no one ever said anything about the story structure. It's a sly trick but in the end it certainly adds a little bit of humor; if you look carefully, you can see what the author intended by the placement of paragraphs, but you can't prove it! :)

Leah_Michelle
06-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Journalists are supposed to be careful that their words are not prejudicial.

But no one ever said anything about the story structure. It's a sly trick but in the end it certainly adds a little bit of humor; if you look carefully, you can see what the author intended by the placement of paragraphs, but you can't prove it! :)

Oh yeah. The author didn't specifically say anything that would make them biased against Kanye, but how they structured the sentences gives it away. Kudos to him.

mario_c
06-11-2009, 10:04 AM
This reminds of Quentin Tarantino's quote from his MySpace page: "F*ck books, f*ck TV, I am my own f*cking hero." :ROFL: Oh wait, wasn't he being 'ironic'? Does that make it OK?

Nivarion
06-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Ohhh a writer that doesn't read.

I'll go make the effigy, and soak it in kerosene.

Kerosene, Because it burns Effigies of people you hate longer and brighter than the leading competitors!

that should be a commercial.

ETA: i realized this could be taken the wrong way. I don't hate anyone, just trying to be funny here. LAUGH D--N YOU!

Christine N.
06-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Well, that's good, cuz I don't listen to Kanye. I'm a PROUD non-Kayne listener.

The problem I have with this is that SO many young people look up to him - and we already have a problem with literacy in this country. I mean, you can't survive if you can't read (well, you can, but it's difficult). You can't read a menu, you can't get food - except McD's where they put pictures up to look at. You can't read a driver's test, you don't get a license. You can't read a bus schedule, you miss the bus.

There's so much more to reading thatn books - and Kanye, I'm betting, at least knows HOW. Or else how does he write lyrics if he can't read them?

Oh, well.