PDA

View Full Version : UP

maestrowork
05-30-2009, 10:31 PM
It's really good. Probably the saddest Pixar movie to date (except maybe the "When Somebody Loves Me" scene in Toy Story 2. It's not my favorite -- which would be the Incredibles and Ratatouille, but it's still excellent. Pixar can do no wrong. The first 10 minutes brought tears to my eyes, which is really rare, especially for an animation (the sadness probably rivals that of Bambi's mom and Simba's dad).

Saw it at Century City AMC and the kid who voice Russell happened to be there with his classmates. That was weird. Like, of all the showings and theaters, he had to go to the same one. At the end they all clapped and yelled his name when the credits start rolling.

firedrake
05-30-2009, 10:32 PM
I really want to see this. Apart from anything else, I just love that dog.

Delhomeboy
05-30-2009, 10:33 PM
I'll definitely go see it...I just fear Disney execs. are going to eventually drive Pixar into the ground.

maestrowork
05-30-2009, 10:34 PM
It made $21M on Friday alone, ahead of Night of the Museum (it's biggest competition for family dollars) by $12M!

maestrowork
05-30-2009, 10:35 PM
I'll definitely go see it...I just fear Disney execs. are going to eventually drive Pixar into the ground.

Pixar is Disney no more. UP is the last Disney/Pixar film. The next Pixar (only) films are Toy Story 3 (which comes out next summer).

Delhomeboy
05-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Pixar is Disney no more. UP is the last Disney/Pixar film. The next Pixar (only) films are Toy Story 3 (which comes out next summer).

I thought Disney bought Pixar?

Wavy_Blue
05-30-2009, 11:33 PM
I thought Disney bought Pixar?

They did, so I'm not quite sure what maestro is meaning here...

dgiharris
05-30-2009, 11:53 PM
There was a huge fight between Pixar and Disney, in short, the CEOs of each of the respective companies pretty much engaged in weekly cage fights in which they would dip roped gloves in vats of crushed glass then tore into each other like starving wolves.

The result (as I understand it) is that Pixar decided to split DESPITE Disney bending over backwards to make a compromise.

Maestro probably knows more details.

Mel...

Elwolf
05-31-2009, 12:02 AM
That Pixar and Disney thing is news to me. When did that start?

ChunkyC
05-31-2009, 12:26 AM
Pixar had a partnership deal with Disney right from the beginning of Pixar's feature film production (Toy Story). Disney finally bought Pixar outright in 2006. According to this Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixar), their relationship has always been stormy, so it doesn't surprise me at all that Pixar would want to go off on their own.

Thing is, as recent as May 7, Disney/Pixar announced plans to launch a new studio (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i4e17d68abb978733fb64ccddbbc0b099) in Vancouver, Canada. That makes any kind of split now, less than a month later, totally unexpected.

ETA: interestingly, the Pixar site makes no mention of any split, although the 'Disney Relationship' page is from 2006 and talks about the Disney/Pixar merger and the 'upcoming' Ratatouille.

More ETA: both Wikipedia and the Internet Movie Database have Disney listed as distributor for Toy Story 3. I did find something saying it would be the first film to use a new Disney logo, perhaps that has been somehow twisted into a rumour of a split.

JustJess
05-31-2009, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the review! I really want to take my kiddies to see it as I'm a big fan of Pixar (Incredibles is my favorite)-but with a family of 7 it costs a small fortune so it needs to be worth it.

It's 3D isn't it?

sassandgroove
05-31-2009, 06:07 AM
Mr. Groove and I saw it last night in 3d. It was excellent. Touching, I cried but I also laughed. I love the background for Carl and I love the dog.

childeroland
05-31-2009, 06:57 AM
Neither Pixar Planet, JimHillMedia, nor the Pixar Blog(s) mention anything about a split, and I can't find anything about it on MiceChat or Nikki Finke. Is it possible Disney initially announcing their (I think now-defunct) Circle 7 division was doing Toy Story 3 started a rumor about a split? Or this is so new it hasn't reached anyone yet?

Chumplet
05-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Interesting twist about Disney/Pixar. My daughter told me about the upcoming studio in Vancouver. If she works hard in college, she'll be part of the team for sure! Which team, we're not sure at this point...

We saw Up tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of depth of character, and that dog is so cute! I loved the sight gags.

dgiharris
05-31-2009, 10:08 AM
I can't wait to see this movie, I'll see it on THursday. I can't wait. Ugg!

Saw some non-spoiler reviews. Pretty much unanimous, everyone loves it.

Mel...

Zoombie
05-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Its amazing.

maestrowork
05-31-2009, 10:21 AM
There's just so much heart and laughter and character in this... oh heck, pretty much everything Pixar does. This company has the golden touch.

Zoombie
05-31-2009, 11:44 AM
As I've said: Disney would be sunk without Pixar.

Heck, I bet it'd not even exist right now without Pixar...

nevada
05-31-2009, 12:33 PM
I just saw it in 3D and I LOVED it. this is not a movie for kids. it's a movie for everyone. i did have tears in my eyes in the beginning. and laughed uproariously for other parts.

and also this was my first ever 3D movie and i think everything should be in 3D. Everything. Can you imagine the Bourne movies in 3D? That would be teh awsomz.

dclary
05-31-2009, 06:05 PM
In the trailers, they're making a big deal of calling this the first "Disney/Pixar" film -- as though to emphasize that the two companies are now separate entities.

dclary
05-31-2009, 06:07 PM
I just saw it in 3D and I LOVED it. this is not a movie for kids. it's a movie for everyone. i did have tears in my eyes in the beginning. and laughed uproariously for other parts.

and also this was my first ever 3D movie and i think everything should be in 3D. Everything. Can you imagine the Bourne movies in 3D? That would be teh awsomz.

Nevada... if you get the chance (have to live near an IMAX) --- go see the new Harry Potter in 3D. Last year they did the last 20 minutes of the film in 3D -- it was amazing. I'm so with you on this. They didn't do anything cheesily "3Dish" like throw shit at the screen.

They just gave you a massive wizardy battle that swirled around the screen with DEPTH.

I agree fully. All movies should use that technology.

Wavy_Blue
05-31-2009, 06:56 PM

Um...

no. XD

Maybe Disney animation would be dead, but the company itself, even without Pixar, would still be a huge business. Live action film (PotC, is, after all, one of the highest grossing films and trilogies of all time), Touchstone, Disney Channel, Parks, ABC, ESPN, cruise lines, not to mention the sheer amount of merchendise on all this stuff...Disney is endless.

maestrowork
05-31-2009, 07:55 PM

I don't think so, but certainly Pixar has made tremendous impact on Disney, especially since John Lasseter is running Disney Animation now. But I think Disney will always reinvent itself. It has seen some really dark times and the last decade was not bad in comparison. And recent films are really good: Meet the Robinsons, Bolt... and the Princess and the Frog looks pretty good.

Not to mention the live action stuff and theme parks, etc. etc.

p.s. Pixar was acquired by Disney but the agreement includes keeping Pixar and Disney two separate entities. Disney wanted control on Toy Story 3 and Pixar said "no."

maestrowork
05-31-2009, 08:06 PM
The 3D is excellent. It's not gimmicky and no "stuff thrown at the audience" tricks. After a while I wasn't even paying attention because the story was so engaging. The 3D adds layers and textures to the film. It doesn't dim the screen by about 20%, so if you don't really care for 3D that much, watch it on the regular screens (especially Digital projection) for the full, vibrant colors.

Zoombie
05-31-2009, 09:42 PM
A boy can dream of a world without Disney, can't he?

Wavy_Blue
05-31-2009, 10:21 PM
A boy can dream of a world without Disney, can't he?

But...without Disney...there would be no Lost. D:

Zoombie
06-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Disney killed my parents!

JamieB
06-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Just saw it in 3D. Cried twice and laughed a lot...my new fav movie!!!

The Lonely One
06-01-2009, 12:43 AM
SQUIRREL!

Definitely want to see this one.

Zoombie
06-01-2009, 12:52 AM
POINT!

dragonjax
06-01-2009, 03:57 AM
Loved. This. Movie. I cried like a baby a few times. Had to console my little guy twice and promise him that it would all be OK. (And it was.) But wow -- WOW. Just WOW.

Toothpaste
06-01-2009, 04:06 AM
Fantastic.

** minor spoilers **

First I was crying after the montage about him and his wife. Then I was crying from laughter at the dog's malfunctioning voice communicator (seriously I have to see that movie again I missed all the lines in that scene) and then I was crying again from the ending. The animation was spectacular, the story just so lovely, and Dug the bestest dog ever ("I was hiding under your porch because I love you").

kristie911
06-01-2009, 04:09 AM
I love the 3D movies but unfortunately, my son doesn't. He hates them. He hates wearing the glasses which are huge and heavy (Harry Carey glasses anyone?)...so as much as he wants to see this one, he told (in a very sad, heartbreaking voice) that "he'll wait for the DVD."

I wish they would show it in both 3D and regular for those of us with little kids that can't or won't wear the glasses. (Maybe they do, but not at all around here)

Zoombie
06-01-2009, 04:11 AM
SQUIRREL!

nevada
06-01-2009, 04:28 AM
I wish they would show it in both 3D and regular for those of us with little kids that can't or won't wear the glasses. (Maybe they do, but not at all around here)

They do show it in regular. in my movieplex they showed both the 3D and the regular. maybe look around at the other theatres or call the theatre you go to to check. it's definitely worth a trip because it's so spectacular in cinema size.

Chumplet
06-01-2009, 04:34 AM
I used our Airmiles for tickets, and the 9:15 show was not 3D. My freebie tickies wouldn't have been valid.

maestrowork
06-01-2009, 10:34 AM
I love the 3D movies but unfortunately, my son doesn't. He hates them. He hates wearing the glasses which are huge and heavy (Harry Carey glasses anyone?)...so as much as he wants to see this one, he told (in a very sad, heartbreaking voice) that "he'll wait for the DVD."

Actually they're showing regular versions with the 3D. Check your local listings. The 3D are marked as "Digital 3D" and the regular without that.

The 3D adds depth and texture to the film, but diminishes the brightness by about 20%. So if you don't care that much about 3D, definitely go for the regular showings.

I wish it were in IMAX format, though.

My theater was filled with kids (mostly the classmates of that kid who voiced Russell), but they were absolutely QUIET during the film (except the laughs when they are appropriate). I have not seen a theater-full of young kids SO well behaved. And the girl next to me told me it was the saddest movie she'd ever seen, but she loved it. That's cute.

maestrowork
06-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Fantastic.

** minor spoilers **

First I was crying after the montage about him and his wife. Then I was crying from laughter at the dog's malfunctioning voice communicator (seriously I have to see that movie again I missed all the lines in that scene) and then I was crying again from the ending. The animation was spectacular, the story just so lovely, and Dug the bestest dog ever ("I was hiding under your porch because I love you").

I love Dug, but the Doberman was HILARIOUS!!! That was a stroke of genius.

Dommo
06-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Dug cracked me up.

Jcomp
06-02-2009, 02:45 AM
Disney killed my parents!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cs-theprovince/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00/00/01/78/21/Whitecaps/simba.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0TTXDM86AJ1CB68A7P02&Expires=1243906527&Signature=MrP4qJYtGDMIJ6%2b3R%2fxiwZRPJAs%3d
http://www.0303.info/disneyimg/Bambi/Bambi-2.jpg

Join the club...

As far as UP goes--usual Pixar excellence. They couldn't miss even if they were Shaq at the free throw line shooting a medicine ball...

Smileycat
06-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Don't read this if you haven't seen it yet, but intend to...

Adored Up! It had everything. Lots of laughs, sniffles, imagination, good storyline, plot twists. Very heartfelt.

Without very many words, it conveyed the relationship between the husband and wife and their life together perfectly.

Loved the high pitched voice of the doberman! Big time lol.

A house uprooted from its foundation with a zillion helium balloons. Excellent!

Chubby, optimistic 'boy scout' kid looking to earn a badge for helping the elderly.

Ed Asner was wonderful as the lead. Christopher Plummer (once again) is excellent as the bad guy.

The walking cane with balls was a clever prop. So much to this movie.

Anyone agree/disagree with me?

Leah_Michelle
06-03-2009, 09:44 AM
It's really good. Probably the saddest Pixar movie to date (except maybe the "When Somebody Loves Me" scene in Toy Story 2. It's not my favorite -- which would be the Incredibles and Ratatouille, but it's still excellent. Pixar can do no wrong. The first 10 minutes brought tears to my eyes, which is really rare, especially for an animation (the sadness probably rivals that of Bambi's mom and Simba's dad).

Saw it at Century City AMC and the kid who voice Russell happened to be there with his classmates. That was weird. Like, of all the showings and theaters, he had to go to the same one. At the end they all clapped and yelled his name when the credits start rolling.

First thing my best friend texts me after she gets out of watching UP is saying how she cried...

I was completely shocked. I said they don't make them like the old Disney movies like The Lion King...Apparently they still do.

DamaNegra
06-06-2009, 06:12 AM
I'm with the people who cried on this film. I haven't cried in years, no movie has ever had this impact on me before. It was just perfect, you know? It had the right amount of sad, funny, upbeat, suspense... hell, I even got scared a couple of times. This is a masterpiece, and I love it! It took all my self control not to sneak into the next screening because I just came back and I'm already dying to watch it again!

GO WATCH IT

So... when do the spoilers start, so we can start discussing? :D

veinglory
06-06-2009, 06:13 AM
I liked it a lot, the bird and the dog were very well done.

dgiharris
06-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Finally, I'm part of the cool kid crowd again, just saw it, theater was OVERFLOWING packed, tickets sold out 30 minutes prior to the film for the whole night.

INCREDIBLE.

Pixar is the new gold standard, in fact, we should designate a rating called, "The Pixar Standard"

I do not know how anyone can not love this film. The entire theater was cooing and lauhging and crying (except me of course) and laughing and dying with laughter and did I mention laughing.

But what I love is putting on my writer's hat, seeing them plant the seeds, and watching those seeds grow and be harvested.

Talk about superior storytelling, setup, worldbuilding, an active and engaging 'prologue', etc. etc.

And I don't know who I loved more, Doug or Kevin. O.k. probably Doug, but you gotta love Kevin "gobble gobble gobble hrrgggghhhhsssss"

Seriously, this is pure genuis, an elder protagonist, an even elder antagonist, a completely orginal and unique storyline, incredible plot devices. Seriously, who would have thought. Imagine pitching this idea to any 'normal' studio, they would have threw you out of the room on your ass the second you said, 76 yr old protagonist.

*** Spoiler Alert***

Another thing I love was how ORGANIC the laughs were. I mean, one scene that almost killed me was when the villian says, "THey are my guests" and then the dogs say "Hello, Hi there, hello..." and then one random dogs says, "I like you temporarily" that just killed me.

I love Dug, but the Doberman was HILARIOUS!!! That was a stroke of genius.
And of course, the voice of the dobberman was just another gut busting thing stacked atop of a whole mountain of laughter.

As far as UP goes--usual Pixar excellence. They couldn't miss even if they were Shaq at the free throw line shooting a medicine ball...

I agree. In fact, I don't even think they need to advertise. Seriously, they should just say.

"Pixar's next film opens Jun 2010, go watch it. That is all"

I actually wish I went into this without knowing anything. But even still, I loved it.

Mel...

James81
06-07-2009, 06:28 AM
Took my kids to see this tonight. They seemed to like it.

I thought it was pretty decent. Not the best Pixar film I've seen, but it was definately entertaining.

As for the Disney convo a few posts up, I just bought my daughter this sing-a-long DVD and it has all these old scenes from old Disney movies (Pocahontas, Beauty and the Best, Aladdin, etc.) and it really brought back some memories of the old Disney "template" for cartoons. As I was watching it, I thought to myself, you know? I'd really love to go to a cartoon that was just a cartoon ago. No giant CGI graphics, no attempts at making the animation realistic.....Just an old-fashioned cartoon, complete with all the music that was a huge part of these movies in the yesteryear.

Not that I don't absolutely adore Pixar/Dreamworks movies (they seem to appeal to both adults and children with their stories), but I think that some of the magic seems to have been lost from the older cartoons.

I also realized that Saturday morning (and TV cartoons in general actually) are really suffering these days. That was a huge part of my weekends growing up and it's kinda sad to see it go by the wayside. They had some really great stuff back in those days.

Kaiser-Kun
06-07-2009, 07:26 AM
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/whatsup.jpg

In my days, plagiarists weren't so lazy...

Epiphany
06-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Saw it. Had to try and hide my tears from my boyfriend. Didn't work too well.
Very great film. Highest rated that I've seen on rotten tomatoes since return of the king.

maxmordon
06-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Finally a film that shows the Tepuys down here and doesn't suck (I am looking at you, Arachnophobia)

dgiharris
06-07-2009, 12:02 PM
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/whatsup.jpg

Wow, I don't know what to say. I'm surprised the title isn't

What's UPballoon to the rescue

Zoombie
06-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Who the hell is making that!?

Dale Emery
06-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Macho guys, make sure you see the 3D version. The 3D glasses will hide your man tears.

Kaiser-Kun
06-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Who the hell is making that!?

We might never know, but I have a suspect:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1350/1243642865405.jpg

AMCrenshaw
06-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Macho guys, make sure you see the 3D version. The 3D glasses will hide your man tears.

Yeah. I saw it in 3D. Amazing what you can do with plastic to mess with the eyeball.

That one dog's eyes were red. Remember it? I thought mine probably looked a little red, too.

AMC

maestrowork
06-08-2009, 06:43 PM
That one dog's eyes were red.

That would be Haggis.

Bubastes
06-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Just saw this. OUTSTANDING storytelling. I haven't cried (both in sadness and in laughter) at a film this much in a long time. I have to see it again! Yes, that montage was so sad, and I was amazed at how much emotion it could convey without a word of dialogue.

Oh, and the short before the film? Both my Mom and I busted a gut laughing. Awesome comedic timing.

Pixar continues to take huge risks in their stories and make them work. They can do no wrong in my eyes. Ratatouille and The Incredibles continue to be favorites from them, though.

Yeshanu
06-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Oh, and the short before the film? Both my Mom and I busted a gut laughing. Awesome comedic timing.

Don't get me wrong--I loved the movie. But the shorts before Pixar movies are always the highlight of the evening for me. And every time I turn green with envy--someone gets PAID to do this! *sigh*

dgiharris
06-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Don't get me wrong--I loved the movie. But the shorts before Pixar movies are always the highlight of the evening for me. And every time I turn green with envy--someone gets PAID to do this! *sigh*

I know. Those lucky SOBs. That has got to be the best job in the world. I'm seeing up again this week just because i have to.

Incidentally, they are killing the box office, up to around $138M in just two weeks. When I went the other day, theater was still packed. I do not see Up being dethroned from #1 for a while.

Mel...

Leah_Michelle
06-11-2009, 01:15 PM

Nearly snorted up my water...nearly.

nighttimer
06-19-2009, 01:05 PM
It's not always about the money.

Pixar grants girl's dying wish to see 'Up'

Company sent DVD so Huntington Beach girl, 10, could watch it.

By ANNIE BURRIS
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

HUNTINGTON BEACH – Colby Curtin (http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/colbycurtin), a 10-year-old with a rare form of cancer, was staying alive for one thing – a movie.

From the minute Colby saw the previews to the Disney-Pixar movie Up (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/up/), she was desperate to see it. Colby had been diagnosed with vascular cancer about three years ago, said her mother, Lisa Curtin, and at the beginning of this month it became apparent that she would die soon and was too ill to be moved to a theater to see the film.

After a family friend made frantic calls to Pixar to help grant Colby her dying wish, Pixar came to the rescue.

The company flew an employee with a DVD of Up, which is only in theaters, to the Curtins’ Huntington Beach home on June 10 for a private viewing of the movie.

The animated movie begins with scenes showing the evolution of a relationship between a husband and wife. After losing his wife in old age, the now grumpy man deals with his loss by attaching thousands of balloons to his house, flying into the sky, and going on an adventure with a little boy.

Colby died about seven hours after seeing the film.

With her daughter’s vigil planned for Friday, Lisa Curtin reflected about how grateful she is that Pixar – and "Up" – were a part of her only child’s last day.

“When I watched it, I had really no idea about the content of the theme of the movie,” said Curtin, 46. “I just know that word ‘Up’ and all of the balloons and I swear to you, for me it meant that (Colby) was going to go up. Up to heaven.”

Pixar officials declined to comment on the story or name the employees involved.

THE PREVIEWS
Colby was diagnosed with vascular cancer on Dec. 23, 2005 after doctors found a tumor in her liver. At the time of her death, her stomach was about 94 inches around, swollen with fluids the cancer wouldn’t let her body properly digest. The rest of her body probably weighed about 45 pounds, family friend Carole Lynch said.

Colby had gone to Newport Elementary School and was known for making others laugh, family friend Terrell Orum said. Colby loved to dance, sing, swim and seemed to have a more mature understanding of the world than other children her age, Orum said.

On April 28, Colby went to see the Dream Works 3-D movie "Monsters Vs. Aliens" but was impressed by the previews to "Up."

“It was from then on, she said, ‘I have to see that movie. It is so cool,’” Lynch said.

Colby was a movie fan, Lisa Curtin said, and she latched onto Pixar’s movies because she loved animals.

Two days later Colby’s health began to worsen. On June 4 her mother asked a hospice company to bring a wheelchair for Colby so she could visit a theater to see "Up." However, the weekend went by and the wheelchair was not delivered, Lisa Curtin said.

By June 9, Colby could no longer be transported to a theater and her family feared she would die without having seen the movie.

At that point, Orum, who desperately wanted Colby to get her last wish, began to cold-call Pixar (http://www.pixar.com/) and Disney (http://disney.go.com/index) to see if someone could help.
Pixar has an automated telephone answering system, Orum said, and unless she had a name of a specific person she wanted to speak to, she could not get through. Orum guessed a name and the computer system transferred her to someone who could help, she said.

Pixar officials listened to Colby’s story and agreed to send someone to Colby’s house the next day with a DVD of "Up," Orum recalled.

She immediately called Lisa Curtin, who told Colby.

“Do you think you can hang on?” Colby’s mother said.

“I’m ready (to die), but I’m going to wait for the movie,” the girl replied.

THE MOVIE
At about 12:30 p.m. the Pixar employee came to the Curtins’ home with the DVD.

He had a bag of stuffed animals of characters in the movie and a movie poster. He shared some quirky background details of the movie and the group settled in to watch Up.

Colby couldn't see the screen because the pain kept her eyes closed so her mother gave her a play-by-play of the film.

At the end of the film, the mother asked if her daughter enjoyed the movie and Colby nodded yes, Lisa Curtin said.

The employee left after the movie, taking the DVD with him, Lynch said.

“He couldn’t have been nicer,” said Lynch who watched the movie with the family. “His eyes were just welled up.”

After the movie, Colby’s dad, Michael Curtin, who is divorced from Lisa Curtin, came to visit.

Colby died with her mom and dad nearby at 9:20 p.m.

Among the Up memorabilia the employee gave Colby was an “adventure book” – a scrap book the main character’s wife used to chronicle her journeys.

“I’ll have to fill those adventures in for her,” Lisa Curtin said.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pixar-up-movie-2468059-home-show#

maxmordon
06-19-2009, 09:47 PM
It's not always about the money.

Pixar grants girl's dying wish to see 'Up'

Company sent DVD so Huntington Beach girl, 10, could watch it.

By ANNIE BURRIS
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

HUNTINGTON BEACH – Colby Curtin (http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/colbycurtin), a 10-year-old with a rare form of cancer, was staying alive for one thing – a movie.

From the minute Colby saw the previews to the Disney-Pixar movie Up (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/up/), she was desperate to see it. Colby had been diagnosed with vascular cancer about three years ago, said her mother, Lisa Curtin, and at the beginning of this month it became apparent that she would die soon and was too ill to be moved to a theater to see the film.

After a family friend made frantic calls to Pixar to help grant Colby her dying wish, Pixar came to the rescue.

The company flew an employee with a DVD of Up, which is only in theaters, to the Curtins’ Huntington Beach home on June 10 for a private viewing of the movie.

The animated movie begins with scenes showing the evolution of a relationship between a husband and wife. After losing his wife in old age, the now grumpy man deals with his loss by attaching thousands of balloons to his house, flying into the sky, and going on an adventure with a little boy.

Colby died about seven hours after seeing the film.

With her daughter’s vigil planned for Friday, Lisa Curtin reflected about how grateful she is that Pixar – and "Up" – were a part of her only child’s last day.

“When I watched it, I had really no idea about the content of the theme of the movie,” said Curtin, 46. “I just know that word ‘Up’ and all of the balloons and I swear to you, for me it meant that (Colby) was going to go up. Up to heaven.”

Pixar officials declined to comment on the story or name the employees involved.

THE PREVIEWS
Colby was diagnosed with vascular cancer on Dec. 23, 2005 after doctors found a tumor in her liver. At the time of her death, her stomach was about 94 inches around, swollen with fluids the cancer wouldn’t let her body properly digest. The rest of her body probably weighed about 45 pounds, family friend Carole Lynch said.

Colby had gone to Newport Elementary School and was known for making others laugh, family friend Terrell Orum said. Colby loved to dance, sing, swim and seemed to have a more mature understanding of the world than other children her age, Orum said.

On April 28, Colby went to see the Dream Works 3-D movie "Monsters Vs. Aliens" but was impressed by the previews to "Up."

“It was from then on, she said, ‘I have to see that movie. It is so cool,’” Lynch said.

Colby was a movie fan, Lisa Curtin said, and she latched onto Pixar’s movies because she loved animals.

Two days later Colby’s health began to worsen. On June 4 her mother asked a hospice company to bring a wheelchair for Colby so she could visit a theater to see "Up." However, the weekend went by and the wheelchair was not delivered, Lisa Curtin said.

By June 9, Colby could no longer be transported to a theater and her family feared she would die without having seen the movie.

At that point, Orum, who desperately wanted Colby to get her last wish, began to cold-call Pixar (http://www.pixar.com/) and Disney (http://disney.go.com/index) to see if someone could help.
Pixar has an automated telephone answering system, Orum said, and unless she had a name of a specific person she wanted to speak to, she could not get through. Orum guessed a name and the computer system transferred her to someone who could help, she said.

Pixar officials listened to Colby’s story and agreed to send someone to Colby’s house the next day with a DVD of "Up," Orum recalled.

She immediately called Lisa Curtin, who told Colby.

“Do you think you can hang on?” Colby’s mother said.

“I’m ready (to die), but I’m going to wait for the movie,” the girl replied.

THE MOVIE
At about 12:30 p.m. the Pixar employee came to the Curtins’ home with the DVD.

He had a bag of stuffed animals of characters in the movie and a movie poster. He shared some quirky background details of the movie and the group settled in to watch Up.

Colby couldn't see the screen because the pain kept her eyes closed so her mother gave her a play-by-play of the film.

At the end of the film, the mother asked if her daughter enjoyed the movie and Colby nodded yes, Lisa Curtin said.

The employee left after the movie, taking the DVD with him, Lynch said.

“He couldn’t have been nicer,” said Lynch who watched the movie with the family. “His eyes were just welled up.”

After the movie, Colby’s dad, Michael Curtin, who is divorced from Lisa Curtin, came to visit.

Colby died with her mom and dad nearby at 9:20 p.m.

Among the Up memorabilia the employee gave Colby was an “adventure book” – a scrap book the main character’s wife used to chronicle her journeys.

“I’ll have to fill those adventures in for her,” Lisa Curtin said.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pixar-up-movie-2468059-home-show#

So touching... don't know what to say...

Jcomp
06-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Holy God that might be the saddest, most touching thing I've ever read on these boards. I can't think of another animated movie--certainly no other Pixar movie--more heartfelt and appropriate somehow than Up. It's got loss and acceptance of loss and adventure and just... jeez... wow...

...excuse me now, I've got something in my eye. Tears, mostly...

Red.Ink.Rain
06-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Wow. Just wow. Pixar now has my business for eternity.

som1luvsmi
06-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks for sharing that, nighttimer.

A truly touching story.

Delhomeboy
06-20-2009, 04:06 AM

Barely a glint compared to the main story, but a salient point nonetheless. Pixar could've made this into a attention-fest and tried to make themselves look good, but they didn't. This company oozes more class than most people could ever manage.

WriteKnight
06-20-2009, 04:21 AM
LOVED this film. Didn't really know anything about it , except my 26 year old son said "YOU MUST SEE IT" - I trust him, and LOVED it. Perfectly crafted story - Superb example of the Hero's Journey. Especially loved the 'magic gift' throughline - as reflected in the original gift - the boy's search for his icon - and the award at the end. (I'm avoiding spoilers here - but Grape Soda fans know what I'm talking about)

Dug is my new hero.

"I am not Alpha..... OHHHH!"

Brilliant film - and so beautifully 'acted'. Kudo's to the animators.

Pixar is a class act - for sure. They're located across the bay bridge from San Francisco, in Emeryville. Really - the whole Bay Area is the place for animation and CG arts -with ILM and LucasArts located in the Presidio. They're always placing ads on Craigslist for employees.

The story about the little girl, choked me up.Yeah - I'm a PIXAR fan for life.

Can't decide if this is my new favorite. It's up there with The INCREDIBLES, and I really liked CARS too...

firedrake
06-20-2009, 04:24 AM
that story certainly put my small troubles into perspective.

I've always thought Pixar were brilliant, now they're just special beyond words.

I can't wait to see the film. our son has seen it and claims our big, brown stinky labrador is just like Dug.

dgiharris
06-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Barely a glint compared to the main story, but a salient point nonetheless. Pixar could've made this into a attention-fest and tried to make themselves look good, but they didn't. This company oozes more class than most people could ever manage.

You know, it won't be long until the word Pixar enters the venacular as: Excellence, class, revolutionary, timeless, etc. etc.

I'm so impressed with this organization and what they've done. Especially in this day and age of Hollywood whoring and remakes it is so refreshing that there is an Film house cranking out grade A+ movies that redefined the art of storytelling.

I mean, we aren't just talking 'good' movies here. We are talking instant classics. Absolutely remarkable films.

I can't wait to see the film.

Wow, I can't beleive there are people who haven't seen this film yet. Everyday you don't see this film is another day that you get contaminated by spoilers.

Can't decide if this is my new favorite. It's up there with The INCREDIBLES, and I really liked CARS too...

Yeah, Incredibles, Wall-E and Up are all veying for top spot in my head. My opinion changes daily.

Mel...