UP

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's really good. Probably the saddest Pixar movie to date (except maybe the "When Somebody Loves Me" scene in Toy Story 2. It's not my favorite -- which would be the Incredibles and Ratatouille, but it's still excellent. Pixar can do no wrong. The first 10 minutes brought tears to my eyes, which is really rare, especially for an animation (the sadness probably rivals that of Bambi's mom and Simba's dad).

Saw it at Century City AMC and the kid who voice Russell happened to be there with his classmates. That was weird. Like, of all the showings and theaters, he had to go to the same one. At the end they all clapped and yelled his name when the credits start rolling.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I really want to see this. Apart from anything else, I just love that dog.

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score
I'll definitely go see it...I just fear Disney execs. are going to eventually drive Pixar into the ground.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It made $21M on Friday alone, ahead of Night of the Museum (it's biggest competition for family dollars) by $12M!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'll definitely go see it...I just fear Disney execs. are going to eventually drive Pixar into the ground.

Pixar is Disney no more. UP is the last Disney/Pixar film. The next Pixar (only) films are Toy Story 3 (which comes out next summer).

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score
Pixar is Disney no more. UP is the last Disney/Pixar film. The next Pixar (only) films are Toy Story 3 (which comes out next summer).

I thought Disney bought Pixar?

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
There was a huge fight between Pixar and Disney, in short, the CEOs of each of the respective companies pretty much engaged in weekly cage fights in which they would dip roped gloves in vats of crushed glass then tore into each other like starving wolves.

The result (as I understand it) is that Pixar decided to split DESPITE Disney bending over backwards to make a compromise.

Maestro probably knows more details.

Mel...

Elwolf

Rabbit! Hunting Mode.
Registered
Reaction score
That Pixar and Disney thing is news to me. When did that start?

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pixar had a partnership deal with Disney right from the beginning of Pixar's feature film production (Toy Story). Disney finally bought Pixar outright in 2006. According to this Wikipedia article, their relationship has always been stormy, so it doesn't surprise me at all that Pixar would want to go off on their own.

Thing is, as recent as May 7, Disney/Pixar announced plans to launch a new studio in Vancouver, Canada. That makes any kind of split now, less than a month later, totally unexpected.

ETA: interestingly, the Pixar site makes no mention of any split, although the 'Disney Relationship' page is from 2006 and talks about the Disney/Pixar merger and the 'upcoming' Ratatouille.

More ETA: both Wikipedia and the Internet Movie Database have Disney listed as distributor for Toy Story 3. I did find something saying it would be the first film to use a new Disney logo, perhaps that has been somehow twisted into a rumour of a split.

Last edited:

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the review! I really want to take my kiddies to see it as I'm a big fan of Pixar (Incredibles is my favorite)-but with a family of 7 it costs a small fortune so it needs to be worth it.

It's 3D isn't it?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Groove and I saw it last night in 3d. It was excellent. Touching, I cried but I also laughed. I love the background for Carl and I love the dog.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Neither Pixar Planet, JimHillMedia, nor the Pixar Blog(s) mention anything about a split, and I can't find anything about it on MiceChat or Nikki Finke. Is it possible Disney initially announcing their (I think now-defunct) Circle 7 division was doing Toy Story 3 started a rumor about a split? Or this is so new it hasn't reached anyone yet?

Last edited:

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Interesting twist about Disney/Pixar. My daughter told me about the upcoming studio in Vancouver. If she works hard in college, she'll be part of the team for sure! Which team, we're not sure at this point...

We saw Up tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of depth of character, and that dog is so cute! I loved the sight gags.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I can't wait to see this movie, I'll see it on THursday. I can't wait. Ugg!

Saw some non-spoiler reviews. Pretty much unanimous, everyone loves it.

Mel...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
There's just so much heart and laughter and character in this... oh heck, pretty much everything Pixar does. This company has the golden touch.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
As I've said: Disney would be sunk without Pixar.

Heck, I bet it'd not even exist right now without Pixar...

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I just saw it in 3D and I LOVED it. this is not a movie for kids. it's a movie for everyone. i did have tears in my eyes in the beginning. and laughed uproariously for other parts.

and also this was my first ever 3D movie and i think everything should be in 3D. Everything. Can you imagine the Bourne movies in 3D? That would be teh awsomz.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
In the trailers, they're making a big deal of calling this the first "Disney/Pixar" film -- as though to emphasize that the two companies are now separate entities.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I just saw it in 3D and I LOVED it. this is not a movie for kids. it's a movie for everyone. i did have tears in my eyes in the beginning. and laughed uproariously for other parts.

and also this was my first ever 3D movie and i think everything should be in 3D. Everything. Can you imagine the Bourne movies in 3D? That would be teh awsomz.

Nevada... if you get the chance (have to live near an IMAX) --- go see the new Harry Potter in 3D. Last year they did the last 20 minutes of the film in 3D -- it was amazing. I'm so with you on this. They didn't do anything cheesily "3Dish" like throw shit at the screen.

They just gave you a massive wizardy battle that swirled around the screen with DEPTH.

I agree fully. All movies should use that technology.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score

Um...

no. XD

Maybe Disney animation would be dead, but the company itself, even without Pixar, would still be a huge business. Live action film (PotC, is, after all, one of the highest grossing films and trilogies of all time), Touchstone, Disney Channel, Parks, ABC, ESPN, cruise lines, not to mention the sheer amount of merchendise on all this stuff...Disney is endless.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

I don't think so, but certainly Pixar has made tremendous impact on Disney, especially since John Lasseter is running Disney Animation now. But I think Disney will always reinvent itself. It has seen some really dark times and the last decade was not bad in comparison. And recent films are really good: Meet the Robinsons, Bolt... and the Princess and the Frog looks pretty good.

Not to mention the live action stuff and theme parks, etc. etc.

p.s. Pixar was acquired by Disney but the agreement includes keeping Pixar and Disney two separate entities. Disney wanted control on Toy Story 3 and Pixar said "no."

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The 3D is excellent. It's not gimmicky and no "stuff thrown at the audience" tricks. After a while I wasn't even paying attention because the story was so engaging. The 3D adds layers and textures to the film. It doesn't dim the screen by about 20%, so if you don't really care for 3D that much, watch it on the regular screens (especially Digital projection) for the full, vibrant colors.