PDA

View Full Version : Rolemodels

Zoombie
05-30-2009, 09:13 AM
So, I'm watching How I Met Your Mother with my family, and the newest member of my family (sister's husband, I'm still SURE he has shifty eyes) remarked that the characters in How I Met Your Mother were not very good role-models.

But that got me thinking...

Who on TV IS or has EVER BEEN a "good" role model? Especially in a sit com?

Can you guys think of any good role-models in TVland?

And can a good role-model actually be funny or interesting or a good character?

Also, I always though the characters in HIMYM were fairly good role-models...

Well, aside from Barny of course.

jodiodi
05-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Turk, Carla and JD on Scrubs are OK.

My personal hero, however, is Dexter.

aquacat
05-30-2009, 10:21 AM
So, I'm watching How I Met Your Mother with my family, and the newest member of my family (sister's husband, I'm still SURE he has shifty eyes) remarked that the characters in How I Met Your Mother were not very good role-models.

But that got me thinking...

Who on TV IS or has EVER BEEN a "good" role model? Especially in a sit com?

Can you guys think of any good role-models in TVland?

And can a good role-model actually be funny or interesting or a good character?

Also, I always though the characters in HIMYM were fairly good role-models...

Well, aside from Barny of course.

Huh. I only saw the show once and Barney seemed like the only half-way interesting character.

This is my personal jesus hero:

http://www.getkempt.com/photos/mrt_crop.jpg

My love knows no bounds... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_rBidCkJxo)

AmandaAcidic
05-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Excluding the destructiveness of season six, Buffy was a good role model. Almost all of the characters on that show were. And they still managed to be funny and interesting and had flaws. Such a solid show all around.

K. Taylor
05-30-2009, 04:36 PM
The Cosby Show was quite wholesome, yet still absolutely hilarious.

backslashbaby
05-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Yeah, The Cosby Show would take the prize, I think.

I have to admit I liked that sitcom with Jami Gertz. They were close to good rolemodels :D

RickN
05-30-2009, 06:32 PM
I have to admit I liked that sitcom with Jami Gertz. They were close to good rolemodels :D

'Still Standing'. I put them in the same class as Donal Logue in 'Grounded For Life'. Hilariously bad parents.

ChunkyC
05-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Marcus Welby, MD.

Rob and Laura Petrie on The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Dr. Sam Beckett on Quantum Leap

Johnny Fever on WKRP in Cincinnati -- okay, that was just me trying to explain to my parents why I started doing drugs. :D

dgiharris
05-30-2009, 09:52 PM
I got a bunch of role models from the best Street Drama that has EVER been written: The Wire

From the Legit side, I liked; Colonel Cedric Daniels, Major Howard "Bunny" Colvins, Mayor Carcetti, Norman Wilson (Senior advisor for mayor), Gus Haynes (newspaper editor)

From the Street side, I liked; Omar Little, Stringer Bell, Cutty (boxing coach)

Mel...

Cassiopeia
05-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Johnny Fever on WKRP in Cincinnati -- okay, that was just me trying to explain to my parents why I started doing drugs. :D I never did get used to seeing him play other roles after that show was canceled. He was da bomb! :D

Wavy_Blue
06-01-2009, 08:29 AM
The Cleavers on Leave it to Beaver.

ChunkyC
06-01-2009, 06:46 PM
The Cleavers on Leave it to Beaver.
I dunno. Wasn't it Mrs. Cleaver who said:

"Ward, I think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night."

Diana Hignutt
06-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Humm...I thought this thread was about the movie "Role Models" with Paul Rudd and that other guy with three first names and McLuvin.

Well otherwise, as a good role model? I'd go with Ultraman!

Kitty Pryde
06-01-2009, 09:22 PM
good role models?

Bessie Higgenbottom (AKA The Mighty B) on The Mighty B on Nickelodeon is a GREAT role model, especially for little girls (but, OK, she's my hero too). She's extremely moral, she's very serious and motivated about both having fun and doing good, and she's a very feminine little girl who's also very strong. Her antics are also hilarious.

The only good role model on HIMYM is Lily (Allison Hannigan?), the kindergarten teacher.

William Haskins
06-01-2009, 09:25 PM
jackie gleason in the honeymooners.

spamwarrior
06-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Most people in FullMetal Alchemist which is running somewhere I don't remember are good role models.