PDA

View Full Version : Is a cover letter the same as a query letter?

Manix
05-30-2009, 02:42 AM
Umm...agent requests a cover letter for fiction submission? I thought cover letters were for non-fiction proposals? I'm confused.

The agency I queried yesterday asked for a cover letter for fantasy. At least that's how it read in their submissions guidelines.

What's the difference between a query letter and a cover letter then?

RainbowDragon
05-30-2009, 05:35 AM
If they're accepting unsolicited partials, it's a cover letter. If query only, it's (surprise!) a query.

Sort of. But when including unsolicited pages I still send my query letter as the cover, because the goal is still to entice them to read more. On a requested partial, they've already seen the enticing query and just need a refresher ("Enclosed please find the requested partial. . .")

A query tries to entice the agent/editor to request the manuscript.

A cover letter introduces the partial or full MS that's enclosed (or included in body of e-mail or attached if receiving entity specifically requested attachment either from you privately or the whole world in their call for subs). For short stories and picture books, you can just send a cover and the full story (99% of the time).

Hope that helps!

Andrew Zack
05-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Think of that cover letter like flap copy on a book. You want to give them enough so that when they are going through the pile of material trying to pick what to read next, you're cover letter entices them to choose yours.

Hope that helps.

Z