PDA

View Full Version : 0 for 17, trying for 34!

V-Man
05-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Just wanted to share some thoughts on my latest round of submissions/rejections.

So in January, I sent out my first picture book manuscript to 17 different agents by snail mail. Months later, it's a no-go from all of those who chose to respond. And I'm thinking to myself...so the F what?

See, I wrote a lot in high school and college, simply for my own enjoyment, but fell out of it when "real work" beckoned. For seven years I went cold turkey. No stories, no poems, nothing. But then, in 2007, a bomb went off and woke me up.

I mean that literally. Our convoy in Iraq was hit by an IED. It killed one of my partners, took the legs off another guy, and scraped up one soldier. I saw it all happen, and my partner died holding my hand. The next time I could call home, I told my wife that I had wanted to be a writer as a kid, and promised her that I would write a book.

Surprisingly enough, I actually followed though. I banged out a novel over the next six months that has a decent chance of publication. I jot down stories in my spare time and feel that creative spark coming all the time now. My long-term goal is to somehow make a living off writing by 2030. My short term goal is to write stuff that I enjoy.

So here's my thoughts when it comes to rejections: Who the F cares? Send out work that you're happy with and surround yourself with people that support you and believe in you. Keep revising and submitting, if only because it'll make your writing better in the long run. I just got done sending out a second manuscript, which I feel is better, to another 17 agents.

The bottom line is: Do what you enjoy, and try not to waste time doing things that you don't enjoy. Your life could be over in an instant.

Brindle Chase
05-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Amen! I just started the query process myself... so far... batting zero! *lol*... but I write because I love it. If it gets published... and I think it will some day... cool. But if not, no biggie... I'll keep on writing!!

Calla Lily
05-29-2009, 11:25 PM
I think I read here on AW that picture books are the one book that writers query pubs direct for, because the profit margin is on the low side and agents don't always want to deal with them.

As to your post: Wow. Glad you're still on this planet and enjoying what you do.

Branwyn
05-29-2009, 11:36 PM
The bottom line is: Do what you enjoy, and try not to waste time doing things that you don't enjoy. Your life could be over in an instant.

Thank you. I needed to be reminded of that. And thanks for what you did/do.

MumblingSage
06-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Do what you enjoy, and try not to waste time doing things that you don't enjoy. Your life could be over in an instant.

Amen, amen. Words to keep in mind as I try to convince my uncle that no, money is not the main thing I'm looking for in a career, I'm looking for a job that will make my life worthwhile if I don't make it to retirement. :/ Let's not even start on writing (not a career, but a lifelong romance).