Speaking of Archie Comics, here's a self publishing story that happened once.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I've read the stories on AW about self publishing, the pros, the cons, etc.

But nobody learned a better lesson than Mr. Lodge once in Archie Comics.

In this story, Mr. Lodge had written some sort of book and paid to have it published. He was really proud of it, but Veronica secretly didn't think it was very good. (The quotes Mr. Lodge read from it were really bad.)

He got the book into a local store and Veronica didn't want it to totally bomb, so she asked Archie if he could ask a few friends to go in and buy a copy.

So, Archie complied, and over the course of a day a stream of people went in and bought copies of Mr. Lodge's book.

Mr. Lodge called the bookstore later to ask how sales were, and the clerk told him they had sold out. The clerk was very surprised by this, too.

Mr. Lodge got very excited and called his printer, announcing it was a best seller and told them to print a huge number, maybe a thousand or five thousand, I forget which.

The next week or so, Mr. Lodge checks with the bookstore clerk who now angrily tells him that no copies of his book are selling and are all taking up space.

Confused, Mr. Lodge tells Veronica, who happily tells her father that she had Archie and a bunch of her friends buy his book so he wouldn't be disappointed if it didn't sell.

At the very end, the last panel shows Archie entering a room with stacks and stacks of books, and Mr. Lodge is pushing one of the stacks toward Archie, as Archie, entering, says that hoped Mr. Lodge liked how all those people bought his books.

It was funny to me at the time, and that was when I learned about the potential pitfalls of self-publishing.

Anyone remember this story?

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
There was also an episode of Night Court where Richard Moll's character gets his autobiography published - by a vanity publisher. That's where I learned that you shouldn't pay to play in the publishing world.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If my book flops it would be one thing, but if it flops and costs me money it's another.

I like the traditional route, but I don't frown on people who try vanity press.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I was actually thinking of a subplot with one character's clueless cousin thinking he's landed a "major big time book deal" and it's with a vanity publisher.

LorelieBrown

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
One of the most hilariously sad things I've ever seen were a mom & daughter having a family feud on Dr. Phil because they both thought a vanity pressed book was going to make "millions." Nothings wrong with self-pubbing -- as long as you go in with your eyes open and you actually look at what you're getting into.