Rebus manuscript questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauram

Freddie Mercury Devotee
Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed that rebus stories are very popular in children's magazines lately. I was wondering how you are supposed to format the manuscript for a rebus story. Do you just write the story and suggest that it would make a good rebus? Do you make a mock up of the story with pictures?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
You reference the story in your cover letter as a rebus story. You underline the words that you visualize being replaced with pictures in the published story. In all other ways, the manuscript looks like a regular submission.

It might be worth noting, however, that
1. Rebus stories are usually very short (under 200 words and depending on the market, sometimes way under.)

2. Rebus stories have a small cast of characters.

3. The picture words are usually concrete nouns (not verbs or any other part of speech). And they are usually replaced with an exact picture. (In TURTLE, rebuse stories use a picture of an EYE for the word "I" but you won't see that in ANY other rebus story publisher as it is very confusing for young children.)

4. The replaced words are usually few but repeated (for example, you might use the word "mouse" repeatedly rather than having the child see a mouse, then a chipmunk, then a rat...keep the array of rebus pictures fairly small also.

5. Rebus stories normally have a twist or surprise ending.

Publishers for rebus stories include
Highlights
Ladybug (though they report being full at the moment)
Wee Ones (though only if you can do your own pictures)
Turtle

Note: Big Backyard uses a rebus story in every issue but they are done in-house.

lauram

Freddie Mercury Devotee
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thanks! I wasn't expecting that thorough of an answer. :) I appreciate it.

I was thinking of pitching to Highlights. They are usually nice enough to include notes with their rejection letters stating what would need to be changed to be acceptable, why it wouldn't work for them, etc.

Thanks again cwgranny!

Jens22

The Trolley is Out There
Registered
Reaction score
How many rebus stories does one normally send at a time? Just one, or 3 to 5 in a submission?

JuliePgh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
juliekcohen.com
I believe Highlight's limit is 125 words. I only send one or two at a time. There may be a disadvantage to too many at one. I received a scale card from Highlights for 2 rebuses I sent together. One was later accepted, but I haven't heard about the second. Therefore, I don't know if this means it's still under consideration or that it was accidentally listed with the first one on the scale card since they were together. I know people who have submitted multiple poems together and some are accepted with the remainder being rejected, and that hasn't been a problem.

I believe the word limit for Ladybug is 200. I don't know about Turtle as I don't have access to that one. In either case, if you have the opportunity to study the rebuses already published for each magazine, then do so because there are differences.

And for the record, I've always bolded my nouns (same concept as underlining) and it hasn't been a problem.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all,

I keep hearing about a scale card, could someone please tell me what that is. Thanks much.

Susie

Status
Not open for further replies.