You know what I hate...

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
...people freaking trying to take advantage of others.

Okay so here's the story. Two months ago I was involved with a networking seminar at the local community college. I was writing for the examiner at the time and I covered the event. So I got there and people are shoving their cards at me left and right...of course this is expected...but this one guy, he starts the entire dialog with me about how he thinks he can help me.

He knows I'm looking for work. So in the last couple months he touches base with me and talks to me about things like,

a. would I be interested in ghost writing for his company? To which I said yes but he must have forgotten I quoted it for him.
b. would I be interested in making commission on web development referrals and what not. To which I said sure but I didn't know anyone.

Then recently he asks me if I can do an article on his new web designing company for the examiner. I reminded him I had resigned my two columns there.

He writes back to me to say, "Oh, I didn't know it was official. But can't you still post there just for "fun." I mean you'd really be helping yourself because I'd pay you for any jobs we get from the referring site."

I tell him, no...I can't.

Now we already had lengthy phone conversation prior to this in which he tells me he wanted to offer blog writing services to his website customers as part of a monthly fee and would I be interested? (and at that time I quoted it for him)

So now he starts wanting to talk to me about pricing, again. So I ask him ...pricing for what? He says for pro-articles. I wrote him back to ask what he means specifically pro-articles, who would be writing them, are they for existing or new clients? (I kept thinking why is he asking this when we've already talked about this?) But now, after I was really specific and not giving him easy information, poof, he disappears.

MAN! I'm pissed off. Yes, Susie, dear...cover your eyes. Cassi said suck and pissed in the same week. ;)

vrabinec

Dipwad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vrabinec-fred.blogspot.com
Meh, dude's hitting on you.

We need to have an up-front fee just for talking to someone about writing, like lawyers do. Give me $75 and I'll talk to you about it. It's $100 an hour after that.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:...he's wanting to figure out how to make it big in the blogger/website biz.
On the work of somebody else, sounds like.

Maybe it's tough-love time. Tell him to make you an offer with specific parameters and a price he'll pay for satisfactory completion, or leave you be, because you don't really have time to entertain every stray idea he gets as a job you might take.

Maryn, with no patience for coattail riders

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
On the work of somebody else, sounds like.

Maybe it's tough-love time. Tell him to make you an offer with specific parameters and a price he'll pay for satisfactory completion, or leave you be, because you don't really have time to entertain every stray idea he gets as a job you might take.

Maryn, with no patience for coattail riders

Leave it to you, Maryn...to put this into perspective for me. At first I thought I was just being a bit bitchy. Seems to be my thing lately. But I had this niggle and niggle and then I just thought...dang it, I'm feeling a scam coming on. He even offered me residual income with any website I referred to him after I had a minimum of eight sales.

He's got so many angles that he comes around with that I want to squash him like the little bug I suspect he is.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not the first time I've wondered where these guys find shirts and pants with room for extra legs...

Maryn, glad to have helped

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
*bats her eyes at OFG* Why yes, cos we all know I'm just so irresistible. NOT!

Seriously, it's just annoying. I started thinking when he first asked me, wait...why would I tell him to charge a percentage above what he'd pay me when in fact, I could be the one charging it. No man, he's not going to climb into my business circle and sponge off my new enterprise.

Kim, who is sometimes too naive for her own good.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If he's hitting on you, can we still get the torches and pitch forks?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm in a real torch and pitch fork mood tonight.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe if you ACTED like he was hitting on you:

"I'm terrribly sorry, it just wouldn't work out between us."

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
If he's hitting on you, can we still get the torches and pitch forks?
oh absolutely...even more reason to do so though he's NOT. Which is evident by his not answering my questions to his last email. :D

I'd like to blog about this guy.
well since there are no names then I don't see why you couldn't!

Maybe if you ACTED like he was hitting on you:

"I'm terrribly sorry, it just wouldn't work out between us."
LOL...I just might try that Ben. Though people, he's literally half my age and not my cuppa. I got over that boy toy, *shudder* (which he is so not) thingy two years ago. ;)

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
That's horrible Cassi, what a waste of your time.

Sounds to me almost like he was trying to turn you into one of the spammers we get round here from time to time... you know, just join these forums and tell everyone how great we are! You'll get paid for referrals!

Got my lighter and just sharpening the pitchfork for you...;)

spamwarrior

rewriting.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
acurrentundersea.wordpress.com
That's horrible Cassi, what a waste of your time.

Sounds to me almost like he was trying to turn you into one of the spammers we get round here from time to time... you know, just join these forums and tell everyone how great we are! You'll get paid for referrals!

Got my lighter and just sharpening the pitchfork for you...;)

Yeah, those spammers... ugh. >.<

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I used to have a boss like this. He could spout ideas out his wazoo for eons, but when it came down to putting it to paper, or making out details, he couldn't do it. He just kept reiterating his ideas.

And people already do get paid to talk about writing. It's call consulting. ;)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
...people freaking trying to take advantage of others.

Okay so here's the story. Two months ago I was involved with a networking seminar at the local community college. I was writing for the examiner at the time and I covered the event. So I got there and people are shoving their cards at me left and right...of course this is expected...but this one guy, he starts the entire dialog with me about how he thinks he can help me.

He knows I'm looking for work. So in the last couple months he touches base with me and talks to me about things like,

a. would I be interested in ghost writing for his company? To which I said yes but he must have forgotten I quoted it for him.
b. would I be interested in making commission on web development referrals and what not. To which I said sure but I didn't know anyone.

Then recently he asks me if I can do an article on his new web designing company for the examiner. I reminded him I had resigned my two columns there.

He writes back to me to say, "Oh, I didn't know it was official. But can't you still post there just for "fun." I mean you'd really be helping yourself because I'd pay you for any jobs we get from the referring site."

I tell him, no...I can't.

Now we already had lengthy phone conversation prior to this in which he tells me he wanted to offer blog writing services to his website customers as part of a monthly fee and would I be interested? (and at that time I quoted it for him)

So now he starts wanting to talk to me about pricing, again. So I ask him ...pricing for what? He says for pro-articles. I wrote him back to ask what he means specifically pro-articles, who would be writing them, are they for existing or new clients? (I kept thinking why is he asking this when we've already talked about this?) But now, after I was really specific and not giving him easy information, poof, he disappears.

MAN! I'm pissed off. Yes, Susie, dear...cover your eyes. Cassi said suck and pissed in the same week. ;)

Well, those words seem appropriate in this situation. Wish that didn't happen, Cass, with that guy. I've said worse. :D